PDA

View Full Version : What active players could make the HOF after these obvious 5?

NBA Junkie
07-11-2006, 11:20 PM
After the five obvious guys of Duncan, Garnett, Bryant, O'Neal, and Payton, what other active players of five or more years experience belong in the HOF?

IMO, Allen Iverson is a likely candidate. After that there's plenty of at or near borderline guys like Ray Allen, Chris Webber, T-Mac, Vince Carter, and Jason Kidd to name just a few.

Can anyone make a case for these guys? Any others I left out? Let the debate begin.

Rememeber though, I'm just limiting this to players with more than 5 years of NBA experience which means the Lebron's and the Wade's can't be included.

Bob Lanier
07-11-2006, 11:26 PM
Kidd and Iverson are locks.

Add Dikembe Mutombo and Dirk Nowitzki to the borderline players.

Vinnie_Johnson
07-11-2006, 11:28 PM
Kidd and Iverson are locks.

Add Dikembe Mutombo and Dirk Nowitzki to the borderline players.

You can't throw dirk in there yet in a few more years if he keeps it up.

Leetonidas
07-11-2006, 11:28 PM
Allen Iverson
Jason Kidd
Steve Nash
Dirk Nowitzki
Chauncey Billups

Those are the only 5 that I can make a case for. Chauncey is the only with a ring.

aaronstampler
07-12-2006, 02:41 AM
the basketball hall of fame is the easiest one to get in, anybody with a pulse can get in.

Probably 30 or 40 current guys can be in really.

Manu for example is a near lock already, just because of his international contributions. It's not the NBA hall of fame, remember, it's the basketball hall of fame.

aaronstampler
07-12-2006, 03:09 AM
Sac..... Bibby, outside chance
GSW....
LAL.... Kobe
LAC.... Brand
Phx.... Nash, Marion, Stoudemire

Min.... Garnett
Sea.... Allen
Por....
Den.... Carmelo
Uta.... Kirilenko outside chance

SA.... Duncan, Ginobili, Parker (if France does well in competitions)
Hou.... Yao, McGrady
Dal....Dirk
NO.... Paul
Mem....Gasol

Bos.... Pierce
Phi.....AI
NYK.... Marbury outiside chance (he averages 20 and 8, which is rare)
NJ..... Kidd
Tor.... Bosh

Chi.....Hinrich outside chance
Det... Billups, Hamilton
Mil .... Redd
Ind.... O'Neal
Cle.....James

Cha....
Atl.....
Orl..... Howard, Hill outside shot
Mia.... Shaq, Wade, Mourning, Payton
Was.... Arenas, Jamison outside shot

So I count 30 with another six with outside shots, and that's not counting any current rookies.

polandprzem
07-12-2006, 03:12 AM
I wonder if Grant Hill and Penny will get in

East Coast Babe
07-12-2006, 04:08 AM
I like aaronstampler's list for the most part. My own additions are:
I'd like to see Bibby get in. I think he has been short changed for years!
I think Okafor for Charlotte will eventually make it too. But that is down the road.
Ben Wallace, wherever he is playing and Sheed too.

PaceMonster
07-12-2006, 05:58 AM
Locks- Allen Iverson, Jason Kidd, Alonzo Mourning, Gary Payton, Kobe Bryant, Shaquille O'Neal, Steve Nash, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Jermaine O'Neal, Chauncey Billups, Ben Wallace, Grant Hill(maybe),Robert Horry

Most Likely(the younger guys)- Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Dirk Nowitzki, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, Dwight Howard, Rip Hamilton, Gilbert Arenas, Amare Stoudermire, Tracy McGrady, Andrei Kirlienko,Elton Brand,Vince Carter

Needs Works-Yao, Pau Gasol, Chris Paul, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Stephon Marbury, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Rasheed Wallace, Michael Redd, Charlie Villanueva, Shawn Marion, Ben Gordon, Kirk Hinrich, Richard Jefferson

exstatic
07-12-2006, 06:04 AM
HOF watch list and scoring system (http://www.databasebasketball.com/about/abouthofm.htm)

Quadzilla99
07-12-2006, 06:44 AM
Kidd, Iverson, and Nash are locks. Nash has 2 MVPs that alone gets you in, even if he stunk at the beginning of his career. Mutombo and Ben Wallace are the only other guys who right now who have accomplished enough to maybe get in with their 4 DPOY awards. All the other guys are projections. A lot of guys could get in.

TDMVPDPOY
07-12-2006, 06:47 AM
wattabout ben wallace, he has 4dpoy awards, a ring....15mill a season to go with his contract

Quadzilla99
07-12-2006, 06:49 AM
I just said Ben Wallace.

1Parker1
07-12-2006, 07:58 AM
After the five obvious guys of Duncan, Garnett, Bryant, O'Neal, and Payton, what other active players of five or more years experience belong in the HOF?

IMO, Allen Iverson is a likely candidate. After that there's plenty of at or near borderline guys like Ray Allen, Chris Webber, T-Mac, Vince Carter, and Jason Kidd to name just a few.

Can anyone make a case for these guys? Any others I left out? Let the debate begin.

How about a certain girly looking Canadian who is in rare company of having won back to back MVP awards?

exstatic
07-12-2006, 08:00 AM
How about a certain girly looking Canadian who is in rare company of having won back to back MVP awards?
Unfortunately, he'll make it. One MVP is usually pretty much a lock.

Quadzilla99
07-12-2006, 08:15 AM
Locks- Allen Iverson, Jason Kidd, Alonzo Mourning, Gary Payton, Kobe Bryant, Shaquille O'Neal, Steve Nash, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Jermaine O'Neal, Chauncey Billups, Ben Wallace, Grant Hill(maybe),Robert Horry

Most Likely(the younger guys)- Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Dirk Nowitzki, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, Dwight Howard, Rip Hamilton, Gilbert Arenas, Amare Stoudermire, Tracy McGrady, Andrei Kirlienko,Elton Brand,Vince Carter

Needs Works-Yao, Pau Gasol, Chris Paul, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Stephon Marbury, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Rasheed Wallace, Michael Redd, Charlie Villanueva, Shawn Marion, Ben Gordon, Kirk Hinrich, Richard Jefferson That's pretty ridiculous calling Paul Pierce, Billups, Jermaine O'Neal, and Horry locks. Especially Horry he's not getting in. Michael Cooper has 5 rings and a DPOY award and he's not close to getting in.

strangeweather
07-12-2006, 08:50 AM
That's pretty ridiculous calling Paul Pierce, Billups, Jermaine O'Neal, and Horry locks. Especially Horry he's not getting in. Michael Cooper has 5 rings and a DPOY award and he's not close to getting in.
Horry has no chance.

The other three on your list are unlikely, though their careers aren't over yet. No way Grant Hill gets in either, and I think Mourning is on the maybe list.

NBA Junkie
07-12-2006, 09:08 AM
I'm surprised that many have left Chris Webber off their short lists. He is a career 20/10 player and has been more of a contributor than many that have already been listed. I think the biggest reason he is being left off is because he has never played an entire 82 game schedule and his stock has dropped severely due to the knee injuries he suffered from 2001 on.

But, if AaronStampler claims that anyone with a pulse can get in, then surely Webber has done enough to have a shot.

aaronstampler
07-12-2006, 11:57 AM
But, if AaronStampler claims that anyone with a pulse can get in, then surely Webber has done enough to have a shot.[/QUOTE]

You're absolutely right, I completely forgot about Webber. And he is a lock to get in.

And the guy who says Manu "needs work" to get in simply doesn't understand how the system works. I'm telling you, he could retire tomorrow and he'd be in.

One gold medal in the Olympics where he was the MVP, one second place finish in the World Championships, and two NBA rings, one of which he was one vote away from co-MVP. I'm telling you, that's an excellent resume right there.

The HOF is heavily weighted toward non-NBA players. College coaches, international players/coaches, and women players/coaches all get in as often as the NBA players do.

aaronstampler
07-12-2006, 11:58 AM
And there isn't a chance in hell for Horry to get in. 9 pts and 5 rebs a night? Please.

Might as well let Steve Kerr in too.

George Gervin's Afro
07-12-2006, 12:06 PM

Needs Works-Yao, Pau Gasol, Chris Paul, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Stephon Marbury, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Rasheed Wallace, Michael Redd, Charlie Villanueva, Shawn Marion, Ben Gordon, Kirk Hinrich, Richard Jefferson

I agree with this guy

Mavs_man_41
07-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Mourning was awesome in his prime, he should be a lock. Shawn Marion? I've always liked him because he is a great all around player.

Leetonidas
07-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Why is KG a lock again?

CubanMustGo
07-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Why is KG a lock again?

They need a new "best baller to never sniff a championship" to replace Barkley.

NBA Junkie
07-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Why is KG a lock again?

One word-consistency.

Garnett is the only player besides Larry Bird to amass at least five consecutive 20/10/5 seasons. He currently has the longest active streak in consecutive games in double-digit scoring with 322. Had another similiar streak of 329 from 1997-2002. He rarely misses games due to injury. Consistently makes 1st or second NBA all defensive and all-NBA teams. Has a league MVP to his credit and another where he was barely edged out by Duncan in '03. Was an all-star game MVP in '03. The list goes on.

Garnett has never won an NBA title, true. I attribute most of this to the inept GM skills of Kevin McHale. IMO, though, I felt the Timberwolves overachieved for many years earlier in the decade with Garnett and little else.

Should Karl Malone, Patrick Ewing, Charles Barkley not be in the HOF since their teams never won a championship? What about Dan Marino of the NFL Dolphins? It's a ridiculous statement to hide behind.

He is a lock for the HOF. 'Nuff said

PaceMonster
07-13-2006, 03:05 AM
^agreed

mabber
07-13-2006, 09:50 AM
They need a new "best baller to never sniff a championship" to replace Barkley.

:lol