PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Nuggets big man Elson may head to Spurs

Pages : [1] 2

Solid D
07-12-2006, 12:03 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA071206.1C.BKNspurs.elson.14d5b7d.html

Web Posted: 07/12/2006 12:00 AM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Nearly two months ago, Sports Illustrated asked 248 NBA players for which team, other than their own, they most would like to play. The Spurs finished first with 13 percent of the vote.

What the magazine neglected to reveal, however, was whether any of those 32 votes came from someone taller than 6-foot-9.

While NBA teams can begin signing free agents today, the Spurs' search for a starting center — and possibly even his backup — could extend another week.

The agent for Denver's Francisco Elson said Tuesday he expects to receive an offer sheet from the Spurs. Because Elson is a restricted free agent, the Nuggets would have seven days to match the offer.

Spurs officials acknowledged they are strongly considering signing a restricted free agent to an offer sheet but wouldn't disclose the player's name. New York's Jackie Butler and Charlotte's Melvin Ely also are restricted free agents, but their respective teams seem more likely to match an offer than Denver.

The Nuggets have committed to signing Nene, another of their big men, to a $60million contract and would like to re-sign forward Reggie Evans. They also have center Marcus Camby under contract for four years and $42 million and Kenyon Martin for five years and $72 million.

The Spurs, meanwhile, recently lost their two centers from last season. Rasho Nesterovic was traded to Toronto, and Nazr Mohammed agreed to sign with Detroit. They also have yet to reach agreement on a contract for their projected backup center, Robertas Javtokas.

"With the Spurs, there's a good opportunity for Francisco to contribute to a pretty good team at the center spot," said Calvin Andrews, Elson's agent. "Denver seems to be pretty much set with its big men."

Elson made about $700,000 last season, and the Spurs' offer probably wouldn't exceed much more than half of their $5.2 million exception. Andrews said the offer likely would be for a maximum of three years. A two-year deal would better fit the Spurs' plans because they have only Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker under contract after the 2007-08 season.

Though the wait period for teams to match offer sheets has decreased from 15 days to a week, the Spurs still would be taking a gamble with Elson. While Denver mulls whether to keep Elson, the Spurs run the risk of losing free agents like Utah's Jarron Collins and Memphis' Lorenzen Wright.

Elson, 30, has spent the past three seasons in Denver after playing in Spain. He stands 7 feet, runs the floor well, is an adequate shot blocker and can hit an occasional mid-range jumper — all traits that would fit in the Spurs' system.

What Elson has lacked is consistency. He's sometimes slow to the ball, and Denver officials thought he put too much pressure on himself last season. He also performed poorly in the playoffs.

Elson averaged 4.9 points, 4.7 rebounds and .63 blocks in 21.9 minutes in 72 games last season. The Nuggets went 32-22 in the 54 games he started.

In a Jan. 22 victory over the Spurs, Elson totaled 13 points, six rebounds and two steals while repeatedly beating Duncan and the rest of the Spurs' big men down the floor. Of course, Nesterovic once scored 24 points against David Robinson, a performance that helped persuade the Spurs to hand him a $42 million contract. It was a performance the Spurs never saw again.

Andrews said Phoenix also has showed some interest in Elson but preferred a sign-and-trade deal.

Even if the Spurs get Elson, their work wouldn't be complete. Javtokas' agent, Herb Rudoy, said he has yet to strike a deal with the Spurs.

"We're still talking," Rudoy said. "Hopefully we'll know this week whether it's going to happen or not."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

furry_spurry
07-12-2006, 12:07 AM
Even if the Spurs get Elson, their work wouldn't be complete. Javtokas' agent, Herb Rudoy, said he has yet to strike a deal with the Spurs.

"We're still talking," Rudoy said. "Hopefully we'll know this week whether it's going to happen or not."

What's taking so long...

In a Jan. 22 victory over the Spurs, Elson totaled 13 points, six rebounds and two steals while repeatedly beating Duncan and the rest of the Spurs' big men down the floor.
Yes, and Nazr had 17 points and 12 rebounds that night-- so what!!

Solid D
07-12-2006, 12:10 AM
They obviously don't want to commit too soon since their exception money spending is an important decision.

Russ
07-12-2006, 12:10 AM

Javtokas has much more leverage now than he did two weeks ago and his agent knows it.

Kori Ellis
07-12-2006, 12:11 AM
So 1/2 the MLE or so to Elson and the rest to Javtokas and call it a summer? :td

timvp
07-12-2006, 12:13 AM
This sucks. Francisco Freakin' Elson.

Someone please wake me up from this bad dream.

strangeweather
07-12-2006, 12:14 AM
So 1/2 the MLE or so to Elson and the rest to Javtokas and call it a summer? :td
:vomit:

furry_spurry
07-12-2006, 12:15 AM
They obviously don't want to commit too soon since their exception money spending is an important decision.
Yes, this means he is expecting part of the MLE- and not the LLE- you think?

Seems the Spurs should be ready to give him what he deserves, which is at least what Fabricio got.

violentkitten
sometimes you work so hard to avoid bad contracts that you end up with no talent

Kori Ellis
Elson, to me, isn't horrible for the minimum. But 1/2 the MLE would suck.

timvp
Half of the freakin' MLE for Francisco Elson. Are you kidding me? I wouldn't want this guy for the LLE.

Good thing the Spurs didn't offer Przybilla that fifth year.

:pctoss

Budkin
07-12-2006, 12:16 AM
We gave up Rasho and Nazr to get Elson? WTF... :vomit:

RogerIsEatingASandwich
Elson isn't gonna cut it....

:depressed

violentkitten
they have $5.3 mil to spend and they can't draw dick this summer?

strangeweather
07-12-2006, 12:17 AM
Spurs officials acknowledged they are strongly considering signing a restricted free agent to an offer sheet but wouldn't disclose the player's name. New York's Jackie Butler and Charlotte's Melvin Ely also are restricted free agents, but their respective teams seem more likely to match an offer than Denver.
Either Butler or Ely would be a vast improvement over Elson.

Kori Ellis
I don't get why they would go for restricted Elson over unrestricted Wright or Collins.

Scrubs are scrubs.

Winnipeg_Spur
CIA Pop at work?

Our main target isn't really Francisco Freaking Elson, is it? This must be part of some plot to cover up our real choices...

...please.

violentkitten
lo wright looks like drob at this point

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 12:18 AM
tomorrow the spurs announce that they have traded for troy murphy.

claws crossed.

Kori Ellis
07-12-2006, 12:18 AM
claws crossed.

:lmao

strangeweather
07-12-2006, 12:19 AM
sometimes you work so hard to avoid bad contracts that you end up with no talent
Rasho for 6 or 7 million is a much better contract than Elson for half the MLE.

timvp
I would take a whole lot of other centers over Elson. Give me Jake Voskuhl. Give me Aaron Williams.

Just don't give me Franny Elson.

Got damn.

violentkitten
dont doubt the mojo

timvp
07-12-2006, 12:20 AM
Rasho for 6 or 7 million is a much better contract than Elson for half the MLE.

:tu

I'd rather the Spurs sign Will Perdue at this point.

Leetonidas
07-12-2006, 12:20 AM
tomorrow the spurs announce that they have traded for troy murphy.

claws crossed.

That's what I have a feeling for...

I hope this ain't true. Francisco Elson is like 30...he's not young by any means.

Russ
07-12-2006, 12:22 AM
Half of the freakin' MLE for Francisco Elson. Are you kidding me? I wouldn't want this guy for the LLE.

Good thing the Spurs didn't offer Przybilla that fifth year.

:pctoss
The Spurs won't use a center like Pryzbilla when it counts anyway. If you're gonna leave your center on the bench, might as well sign a center with a more appropriate second-string pricetag.

The problem now is that even the second stringers are smelling blood and holding up the Spurs -- but I still think Javtokas will be a major pleasant surprise.

Kori Ellis
And what's up with Javtokas?

I knew when we were reading it was a done deal over and over and over this summer that it probably wasn't true.

Imagine the rotation of Duncan and Elson backed up by Horry and Oberto. :vomit:

RogerIsEatingASandwich
damn Elson sucks....

violentkitten
it cant be this bad. maybe they are playing up this interest because javtokas is angling for more than the lle.

Ninja-Defense
07-12-2006, 12:23 AM
Wow, he's 30! Damn, I thought he was younger than that for some reason...yeah, that would really suck if we sign him for 1/2 the MLE.

Kori Ellis
07-12-2006, 12:23 AM
it cant be this bad. maybe they are playing up this interest because javtokas is angling for more than the lle.

Well I doubt they are using the LLE anyway. Because using the MLE will put them close to luxury tax, so they'll probably just save LLE for next year.

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 12:26 AM
suddenly everyone realizes that putting $ ahead of winning sucks.

welcome aboard. remember what you said last year when you had peter holt's nuts on your chin, spurs fans.

timvp
07-12-2006, 12:26 AM
What Elson has lacked is consistency. He's sometimes slow to the ball, and Denver officials thought he put too much pressure on himself last season. He also performed poorly in the playoffs.

That's putting it nicely.

Game 1 - 15 minutes, 0 points, 3 rebounds
Game 2 - 9 minutes, 0 points, 1 rebound
Game 3 - 11 minutes, 0 points, 1 rebound
Game 4 - 14 minutes, 4 points, 0 rebounds
Game 5 - 27 minutes, 2 points, 6 rebounds

Oh my gosh those are horrible numbers. In Game 5, he put up all of his "stats" in garbage time when the Nuggets were down by 20.

This guy in the playoffs makes Hedo seem like Michael Jordan.

Solid D
07-12-2006, 12:27 AM
Nuggets are vulnerable. They want to keep Evans and they tread a slippery slope negotiating with Kenyon Martin. They spent multi-max money on Nene and Melo. The Spurs are reaching in to steal an egg out of the basket while the Nuggets have a couple of eggs in their other hand. Do the Nugz risk reaching to help to slap the Spurs' hand without dropping an egg in that other hand?

I'll bet the Nugz wouldn't spend more than $1.25M per annum to save him.

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 12:27 AM
Nuggets are vulnerable. They want to keep Evans and they tread a slippery slope negotiating with Kenyon Martin. They spent multi-max money on Nene and Melo. The Spurs are reaching in to steal an egg out of the basket while the Nuggets have a couple of eggs in their other hand. Do the Nugz risk reaching to help to slap the Spurs' hand without dropping an egg in that other hand?

yeah but reggie evans should be able to get more than half the mle

Solid D
07-12-2006, 12:28 AM
yeah but reggie evans should be able to get more than half the mle

Evans and Martin are the two eggs in the other hand.

timvp
07-12-2006, 12:29 AM

I'll bet the Nugz wouldn't spend more than $1.25M per annum to save him.

Problem is the egg the Spurs are reaching for is rotten.

Solid D
07-12-2006, 12:30 AM
Don't cloud the imagery with facts, LJ.

furry_spurry
Makes me wonder how many players have shown no interest in joining the Spurs in order to be down to Elson. Plan M?

The big move will be to sign a 30 year old center who is older than Rasho and Nazr and has only started 79 NBA games- to a three year contract worth over $8M- but Scola wanted too much at 3/$9-10M. If this is all the Spurs are going to get- sign a minimum contract guy. Shoot, bring back Marks.

violentkitten
Evans and Martin are the two eggs in the other hand.

what exactly are they negotiating with martin?

SenorSpur
07-12-2006, 12:31 AM
And what's up with Javtokas?

I knew when we were reading it was a done deal over and over and over this summer that it probably wasn't true.

Imagine the rotation of Duncan and Elson backed up by Horry and Oberto. :vomit:

That's a bad combination, but hey you usually get what you pay for.

They'd better take some of that left over money and go after Qyntel Woods.

....and what's the reason they didn't want to go after Pyrzbilla again? Oh yeah, because they're cheap bastards.

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 12:31 AM
at this point you might as well make a run at players who dont suck, regardless of position

strangeweather
07-12-2006, 12:32 AM
suddenly everyone realizes that putting $ ahead of winning sucks.

welcome aboard. remember what you said last year when you had peter holt's nuts on your chin, spurs fans.
The Spurs have earned an awful lot of benefit of the doubt from me in the past.

Yeah Elson as our big acquisition would blow unbelievably, but honestly, I'm just not going to believe it until it is actually announced. So, we'll see.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
07-12-2006, 12:33 AM
marks>>>elson

timvp
07-12-2006, 12:35 AM
This better be a smoke screen. It better turn out to be Jackie Butler.

If it actually ends up being Franky Elson, the 2006-07 season would be over before it begins.

The infatuation with Euro players has gone overboard at this point.

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 12:37 AM
its a smokescreen to land jarron collins. we'll show them.

polandprzem
07-12-2006, 12:37 AM
Stop crying, we still got Marks (do we?) and Oberto.
So no worries.

Russ
07-12-2006, 12:38 AM
You need a smokescreen to get Jarron Collins?

timvp
07-12-2006, 12:39 AM
For those who haven't seen Elson play, imagine Nazr but softer, weaker, slower and a worse defender, rebounder, shot blocker, scorer, passer and finisher.

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 12:39 AM
You need a smokescreen to get Jarron Collins?

depends on what the smoke is from, chief.

Ninja-Defense
07-12-2006, 12:40 AM

Man....hoping we don't get Francisco Elson and land Jarron Collins instead...what an offseason!

BTW, is Jarron the sucky twin, or the real sucky twin?

jcrod
Damn this shit sucks if they get him and settle.

furry_spurry
This better be a smoke screen. It better turn out to be Jackie Butler.

The agent for Denver's Francisco Elson said Tuesday he expects to receive an offer sheet from the Spurs.

That's a pretty relaible source of info and from outside the Spurs organization. Agents drum up fake interest in players all the time, but I can't really recall them saying they are expecting an offer sheet, when it's a lie.

Jekka
07-12-2006, 12:41 AM
This is gross. Really gross. I don't understand why they'd give Elson that money when that money is probably enough to land Butler. Butler is better than Elson, is far younger, and has far more potential. So wtf?'

-Manny

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 12:41 AM
Elson made about $700,000 last season, and the Spurs' offer probably wouldn't exceed much more than half of their $5.2 million exception. Andrews said the offer likely would be for a maximum of three years. A two-year deal would better fit the Spurs' plans because they have only Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker under contract after the 2007-08 season.

so the spurs are targeting the 2008 offseason instead of looking to win now.

timvp
07-12-2006, 12:42 AM
Where are all the Spurs fans who were saying to be patient and that the Spurs front office always comes thru?

Franky Elson for half the MLE.

Game over.

jcrod
This is gross. Really gross. I don't understand why they'd give Elson that money when that money is probably enough to land Butler. Butler is better than Elson, is far younger, and has far more potential. So wtf?

You would need to exceed the MLE to get Butler. Isiah likes him and doesn't want to lose him.

furry_spurry
Stop crying, we still got Marks (do we?) and Oberto.
So no worries.
There will be no room left for Sean on this roster. Spurs still need a third PG of some sorts- even a cheap one for practice.

And welcome your starter-- Fabricio Oberto.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
07-12-2006, 12:43 AM
If they do get Elson for half MLE, they should use the rest of the MLE to buy a badass fishing boat.

Russ
For those who haven't seen Elson play, imagine Nazr but softer, weaker, slower and a worse defender, rebounder, shot blocker, scorer, passer and finisher.
And a smaller salary. And prays fewer times per day.

T Park
might as well sell my season tickets right Timvp?

timvp
You would need to exceed the MLE to get Butler. Isiah likes him and doesn't want to lose him.

No you wouldn't. $3M a year is about what you'd have to offer Butler. He's not getting a bigger offer than that.

Plus the Knicks already have 15 players plus Qyntel Woods, so they are most likely out of roster spots.

Jekka
07-12-2006, 12:44 AM

You're on crack. It won't even take the entire MLE to get Butler considering their cap situation.

strangeweather
To be determined. I believe the Knicks now have 15 guaranteed contracts, not counting Butler.

polandprzem

Well it's not that bad, but he is injury prone also.
We all know you want Evans :rolleyes so whoever will come not named Evans you won't be happy.

(as always I put some kid in my post)
Yes I think I have to explain it to MOST of ya.

timvp
might as well sell my season tickets right Timvp?

Let's see you explain how Elson would be a great signing.

I'm waiting . . .

strangeweather
07-12-2006, 12:45 AM
:lmao Other than that, he's perfect!

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 12:45 AM
either the spurs believe that they can convince a star free agent to come to san antonio in 2008 or they are are afraid that duncan will bolt and want to have all of the possible cap room to suck hard in 2008-09.

ugh

Kori Ellis
07-12-2006, 12:46 AM
I just don't get why they'd go for a restricted scrub. If you just want a scrub to spend 1/2 the MLE on, then there's a few other unrestricted scrubs available.

timvp
07-12-2006, 12:47 AM
Well it's not that bad, but he is injury prone also.
We all know you want Evans :rolleyes so whoever will come not named Evans you won't be happy.

(as always I put some kid in my post)
Yes I think I have to explain it to MOST of ya.

I would have been happy with Butler, Ely or Evans. I wouldn't mind players like Songaila, Collins, A. Williams, Pollard, Wright, etc.

But Francisco Elson? I'd rather have Keith Van Horn :madrun

violentkitten
or the spurs have a cheap ass owner who is more worried about the luxury tax than anything else

shyne
Thers just something not right about this.

Solid D
07-12-2006, 12:48 AM
Don't you guys see? RC doesn't like the disappointment of waiting a week to get out-bid for an RFA. If they set their sights low enough, the disappointment isn't so great.

MannyIsGod
07-12-2006, 12:49 AM
Going after after Elson isn't a financial decision if they are giving him half the MLE. They obviously believe he can produce for the Spurs if they're willing to give him that much. I don't understand why the fuck they belive this, but if it was a financial reason they'd go out and give someone the minimum because thats about the value they're getting with this scrub.

If this came from his agent, I'm not sure I totally believe it. Maybe its just wishful thinking, but I'm hoping the RFA they're going after is Butler.

timvp
I can't believe that the Spurs are going to waste the next two seasons just so they can make sure they have salary cap space in 2009. These Spurs are so close to being able to win the next two championships with just a couple decent additions. I don't know if it's Holt being cheap or the front office trying to out Spurs the Spurs, but whatever it is it's damn stupid.

Adding Elson is five steps back.

Ninja-Defense
Thers just something not right about this.

Methinks you're correct...CIA Spurs FO anyone?

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 12:51 AM
all the good free agents in 2008 will be restricted anyways and their teams will be likely to match

MannyIsGod
07-12-2006, 12:51 AM
This doesn't make any sense. I don't believe the Spurs are waiting for 2008 for anything when you consider the talent they have now! This isn't the departure of Drob, this is the prime of our big three.

I really can't see them bringing in Elson. It is just so damn stupid.

polandprzem
07-12-2006, 12:52 AM
I would have been happy with Butler, Ely or Evans. I wouldn't mind players like Songaila, Collins, A. Williams, Pollard, Wright, etc.

But Francisco Elson? I'd rather have Keith Van Horn :madrun

Well tha spurs can't afford Keith :shootme

I woild not be happy but may accept Ely and Evans maybe Pollard , Williams and Wright but the rest. Nope. Songalia too soft Collins too nothing Butler who?

jcrod
You're on crack. It won't even take the entire MLE to get Butler considering their cap situation.

Cap situation? :lol They don't have one. And I'm sure they'll keep Butler over a guy like Ime. If its so easy and he's that good, then tell me why they wouldn't go after him. They must know the Knicks would match.

violentkitten
they have to have a trade lined up

MannyIsGod
07-12-2006, 12:53 AM
But even if they do bring in Elson for half the MLE, how is that a cost saving move? its half the MLE for the talent level you could have at half the MLE! Shit, if we're going to start Elson, start fucking Oberto or Javaktovas.

If they get Robertas.... WTF is up with that?

timvp
Elson averaged 3.8 points per 48 minutes in the playoffs and had zero blocks in five games.

:lmao

Give me freakin' Luke Schenscher over this scrub.

Kori Ellis
I am still hopefully that it's not Elson that they want. The article says the Spurs acknowledged that they are considering a restricted FA, but didn't name him.

I'll root for Ely, Butler, Songaila or Jeffries over Elson.

Russ
07-12-2006, 12:55 AM
The only thing that can mess the Spurs up is to overpay someone -- the good thing is that won't happen now. Just find a 4-5 "tweener" in the D league who can rebound and play D, can't shoot a lick and is too green to realize that he should be angry to only make 800K a year.

MannyIsGod
07-12-2006, 12:55 AM
Cap situation? :lol They don't have one. And I'm sure they'll keep Butler over a guy like Ime. If its so easy and he's that good, then tell me why they wouldn't go after him. They must know the Knicks would match.Yeah, they do have one. They have a shitload of guarnteed contracts and adding another one isn't exactly at the top of their to do list. They would have to waive somebody and that means paying money to someone who isn't going to play for you.

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 12:56 AM
if you worry too much about overpaying someone then you end up with nothing

timvp
The only thing that can mess the Spurs up is to overpay someone -- the good thing is that won't happen now.

Elson for anything over the minimum is overpaying.

Butler, Ely or Evans for entire MLE >>>>>>>>>>>> Elson for half

T Park
I don't see how this is being cheap.

Kori Ellis
07-12-2006, 12:57 AM
I don't see how this is being cheap.

It's not -- it's overpaying a bad player and having to wait 7 days to do it:)

timvp
07-12-2006, 12:57 AM
Let's see TPark explain how Elson would be a great signing.

I'm waiting . . .

Bump.

furry_spurry
07-12-2006, 12:58 AM
Remember when I said a couple of weeks ago that the Spurs only want short-term deals. Maybe those other players are getting offers for more than 2 or 3 years- and Elson will settle for that?? I recall that several of the names thrown around last summer as the Spurs having an interest in them ended up signing deals elsewhere for more years than the Spurs would give them.

This only makes sense if all the other avenues have dried up- don't you think??

T Park
07-12-2006, 12:59 AM
Didn't say it was great did I?

I think saying the season is over before it begins is a slight over exageration.

Sorry to burst your hater bubble.

MannyIsGod
07-12-2006, 12:59 AM
Its not being cheap, its being really fucking stupid.

Kori Ellis
07-12-2006, 01:00 AM

I think saying the season is over before it begins is a slight over exageration.

So do you think that a bigman rotation of Duncan and Elson backed up by Horry and Oberto would cut it?

jcrod
Yeah, they do have one. They have a shitload of guarnteed contracts and adding another one isn't exactly at the top of their to do list. They would have to waive somebody and that means paying money to someone who isn't going to play for you.

Tell me when that stopped them before? They're so over the cap, its not even funny. They're trying to trade players, so the number of guys on their roster at this point is a non factor.

But if its so easy, then tell me why they wouldn't go after him know instead if they know the Knicks wouldn't match. Or for that matter any team besides the Spurs. I guess will find out tomorrow.

timvp
Sometimes I think the Spurs don't watch other games other than the games they are playing in. They gave Rasho a huge contract because he had a good game against the Spurs. Now they are going to give an even worse contract to Franky Elson because he had a couple decent outings against San Antonio.

Did Holt not spring for League Pass? Elson is the worst big on Denver.

Camby, KMart, Najera, Evans, Nene and Kleiza are all waaaaaaaaay better.

strangeweather
07-12-2006, 01:01 AM
This only makes sense if all the other avenues have dried up- don't you think??
Even if all the other avenues are dried up, it would make more sense to give minutes to Oberto or bring back Marks than it would to sign Elson.

T Park
Nazr Mohammed with Rasho Nesterovic backing him up won in 04 05 and Detroit and others aren't as good.

timvp

So what do you think about Elson?

Kori Ellis
07-12-2006, 01:02 AM
Nazr Mohammed with Rasho Nesterovic backing him up won in 04 05 and Detroit and others aren't as good.

So you think Elson with Oberto backing him up is as good as Nazr with Rasho backing him up?

furry_spurry

Maybe you are right and the actual offer sheet will be for one of them-- hence the reason nothing is worked out for Robertas because he wants part of the MLE. He would have to wait to see if that offer sheet gets matched-- and then will he settle for the LLE-- not come-- or if it does not get matched then maybe he will get part of the MLE. That at least makes sense.

violentkitten
of course its cheap. someone like elson is willing to take half the mle. and you have to wait for the nuggets to decide on him which of course will take a full week. then after the nuggets match then the spurs have their excuse that they tried to land someone this summer when in truth they were unwilling to make a serious long term offer to anyone because they are afraid of the luxury tax and are starting to get seduced by the free agent sirens of 2008

Russ
Agree.

And Butler is the perfect example of the type of guy to get early on -- a career D league guy, low paid, and really starting to pay off.

Ninja-Defense
07-12-2006, 01:03 AM
The New York Post
By Mark Berman

July 11, 2006 -- LAS VEGAS - Jackie Butler is not with the Knicks' summer-league team, but Isiah Thomas said yesterday he expects the free-agent center to be with the club in October at training camp in Charleston, S.C.

The Knicks have extended a $1 million qualifying offer to the 6-10 center, but his agent, Keith Glass, believes he will get a larger offer from one of four teams. However, the Knicks can match, and sources within the club said they plan to, within reason.

"We like Jackie, we want to keep him, but it's a long summer," Thomas said. "Our intention is to re-sign him."

Thomas said he wanted Butler to play summer league but understood the risk of him getting injured.

Butler is perfect insurance in case Jerome James reports out of shape again. And Butler's presence could prod James. Meanwhile, the Bulls are monitoring the situation since they are looking for a low-post scorer.

timvp
Its not being cheap, its being really fucking stupid.

True.

I'd rather Holt be cheap than the Spurs waste money on Elson.

Forcing The Spurs To Sign An NBDL Scrub > Elson

jcrod
So you think Elson with Oberto backing him up is as good as Nazr with Rasho backing him up?

ummm....No, but I guess Tpark does.

shyne
07-12-2006, 01:04 AM
The Spurs told Javtokas that they were gonna sign Elson and he prolly said " fuck this" in lithuanian.

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 01:04 AM
the only way this makes sense is if the spurs are trying to find leverage in negotiating with javtokas

MannyIsGod
07-12-2006, 01:05 AM
Jcrod, take a look at the Knicks roster and count their centers under contract.

T Park
If Kleiza is so great, how come he hardly got off the IR.

jcrod
the only way this makes sense is if the spurs are trying to find leverage in negotiating with javtokas

I hope not, because Javi is not the answer either.

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 01:06 AM
the knicks cant carry 25 players into the season

timvp
07-12-2006, 01:07 AM
If Kleiza is so great, how come he hardly got off the IR.

He played in 61 games and most of the games he missed were due to injury. And he scored more points in the playoffs than your boy Elson.

MannyIsGod
of course its cheap. someone like elson is willing to take half the mle. and you have to wait for the nuggets to decide on him which of course will take a full week. then after the nuggets match then the spurs have their excuse that they tried to land someone this summer when in truth they were unwilling to make a serious long term offer to anyone because they are afraid of the luxury tax and are starting to get seduced by the free agent sirens of 2008Who exactly do you think the Spurs are making excuses for? Do you think they go out of their way to make an impression of signing players to please the handful of regulars on this board? Give me a break.

Slinkyman
At this point, Tim Duncan at center is the best option. Find a PF or trade for one because spending money on Elson or Collins just wasting it. They're both better suited for a back up roll and the spurs want to start one of them? :lol I remain hopefull that the restricted FA the spurs want is Jeffries.

T Park
07-12-2006, 01:08 AM
ackie Butler is not with the Knicks' summer-league team, but Isiah Thomas said yesterday he expects the free-agent center to be with the club in October at training camp in Charleston, S.C.

The Knicks have extended a $1 million qualifying offer to the 6-10 center, but his agent, Keith Glass, believes he will get a larger offer from one of four teams. However, the Knicks can match, and sources within the club said they plan to, within reason.

"We like Jackie, we want to keep him, but it's a long summer," Thomas said. "Our intention is to re-sign him."

Thomas said he wanted Butler to play summer league but understood the risk of him getting injured.

Butler is perfect insurance in case Jerome James reports out of shape again. And Butler's presence could prod James. Meanwhile, the Bulls are monitoring the situation since they are looking for a low-post scorer.
Offline | Online

Offer him a full MLE deal, get it matched, then bitch about others getting signed up while the MLE is tied up in Butler.

timvp
07-12-2006, 01:08 AM
I remember at one point when Spurs fans were telling me that signing Evans with half the MLE was too much :lol

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 01:09 AM
Who exactly do you think the Spurs are making excuses for? Do you think they go out of their way to make an impression of signing players to please the handful of regulars on this board? Give me a break.

to please the chumps who pay for season tix. they have to show some effort to improve and if not, they need a good excuse. whats the point in having a franchise if not for the fans?

timvp
Offer him a full MLE deal, get it matched, then bitch about others getting signed up while the MLE is tied up in Butler.

Yeah because signing Elson is so much better.

jcrod
Jcrod, take a look at the Knicks roster and count their centers under contract.

:lol They have 2-3 don't they? Jerome, Frye, Curry, but doesn't Frye play PF and Lee as PF. Thats four total for you 4 and 5's. I see them matching 2.5 for butler, it would need to be more.

T Park
than your boy Elson.

Link to where I said it was a good move?

MannyIsGod
07-12-2006, 01:10 AM
Of course the Knicks are going to say they will match. They want to keep him for the 1 mill qualifying offer. If they sit there and give indications they won't match, teams will make offers.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
Elson=jack shit Evans=rebounds

furry_spurry
What if the RFA is someone who will be offered the MLE and if he accepts and goes unmatched, then the Spurs won't sign Javtokas to avoid luxury tax?

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 01:11 AM
What if the RFA is someone who will be offered the MLE and if he accepts and goes unmatched, then the Spurs won't sign Javtokas to avoid luxury tax?

luxury tax savings dont win championships.

no michael finley, i wasn't referring to you.

T Park
07-12-2006, 01:11 AM
Yeah because signing Elson is so much better.

Whatever the front office would do this summer, it would get bitched about.

Thats been proven so far.

MannyIsGod
07-12-2006, 01:12 AM
to please the chumps who pay for season tix. they have to show some effort to improve and if not, they need a good excuse. whats the point in having a franchise if not for the fans?You're kidding right? Are you going to join NBADan looking for UFO's in area 51 next? Cause I'm expecting you to tell me you saw Pop in a black helicopter next.

Ninja-Defense

You mean someone like Jeffries, perhaps?

T Park
I remember at one point when Spurs fans were telling me

No longer one are we?

Kori Ellis
07-12-2006, 01:13 AM

:lol

They haven't done anything yet except get rid of Rasho and Nazr. I just don't get how going after a bad restricted free agent is the answer.

timvp
What's going to happen tomorrow is the Spurs are going to offer Elson a two-year, $4-5M offer and the Nuggets are going to take the whole week while they laugh their asses off that someone would give him a deal more than the minimum.

MannyIsGod
What if the RFA is someone who will be offered the MLE and if he accepts and goes unmatched, then the Spurs won't sign Javtokas to avoid luxury tax?That actually doesn't sound implausible.

furry_spurry
luxury tax savings dont win championships.

no michael finley, i wasn't referring to you.
I am speaking about the Spurs FO- not my preference. I don't think the Spurs will spend the LLE this year. If they spend the MLE on one player, Robertas may be the odd man out.

polandprzem
Cat bite me in my dream. I had a big hole in my finger. Damn he was frickin furious....

violentkitten
You're kidding right? Are you going to join NBADan looking for UFO's in area 51 next? Cause I'm expecting you to tell me you saw Pop in a black helicopter next.

the spurs trot out excuses about why they can't improve the team all the time. not surprising you dont catch on.

timvp
07-12-2006, 01:14 AM

I've listed about 15 players in this thread that I'd have rather than Elson. Hell I'd rather the Spurs sign Maceo Baston.

That's 16.

polandprzem
07-12-2006, 01:14 AM
What's going to happen tomorrow is the Spurs are going to offer Elson a two-year, $4-5M offer and the Nuggets are going to take the whole week while they laugh their asses off that someone would give him a deal more than the minimum.

It is tommorow

Kori Ellis
07-12-2006, 01:15 AM
That actually doesn't sound implausible.

True. I thought the same thing.

MannyIsGod

And you think Elson is a ploy to please potential season ticket holders. Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

Russ
The Spurs don't like to pay bigs or give them multiyear deals. They practically had to be blackmailed by season ticketholders to sign Drob to his last deal. They feel like they got burned by signing Malik to a long contract. Then Rasho became a long-term albatross to be gotten rid of.

I believe they think of all those guys when they see Nazr or Jeffries or Magliore or Pryzbilla. And who can blame them.

Kori Ellis
No longer one are we?

You make no sense. Calling someone else a Spurs fan doesn't mean that you aren't one anymore. If I call refer to Spurswoman and Jekka as female does that mean I'm not one. :wtf

polandprzem
07-12-2006, 01:18 AM
You make no sense. Calling someone else a Spurs fan doesn't mean that you aren't one anymore. If I call refer to Spurswoman and Jekka as female does that mean I'm not one. :wtf

Interesting. We've got to check this.

:sombrero:

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 01:19 AM

And you think Elson is a ploy to please potential season ticket holders. Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

i think it's ridiculous that you think the spurs dont think about trying to cover their ass. it's not like they can get any rfa they want to sign an offer sheet, it's a two way street. butler and ely may have no fucking desire whatsoever to play in san antonio so they wont even sign the sheet. so the spurs sign elson to a sheet, the nuggets match, and then all the kool aid drinking spurs fans have their scapegoat

T Park
07-12-2006, 01:22 AM
o the spurs sign elson to a sheet, the nuggets match, and then all the kool aid drinking spurs fans have their scapegoat

whos the scapegoat?

The Nuggets?

If Elson is matched you guys would celebrate I thought cause its bad...

Damn peeps make up your damn minds.

timvp
If the Spurs sign Elson to an offer sheet, who is down for a candle lighting vigil GTG?

We have to pray the Nuggets match.

timvp
Has T Park told us what he thinks about Elson yet?

Kori Ellis
07-12-2006, 01:24 AM
I really don't get it. I just don't understand why they are going after someone restricted if it's Elson.

Wright=Collins=Elson, so why not just go for the unrestricted ones?

I hope they don't get Elson and if they do, I hope they don't pay him more than 1.5M.

I'm more concerned with why the Javtokas deal isn't done though.

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 01:24 AM
whos the scapegoat?

The Nuggets?

it's past your bedtime. elson is matched and then when the spurs are starting francisco oberto and people are griping then the spurs can trot out the...we tried everything last summer, we had free agents ignore us, we had the one we signed get matched, etc excuse.

elson is probably the only big on the market willing to take a 2 year deal

picnroll
07-12-2006, 01:26 AM
I really don't get it. I just don't understand why they are going after someone restricted if it's Elson.

Wright=Collins=Elson, so why not just go for the unrestricted ones?

I hope they don't get Elson and if they do, I hope they don't pay him more than 1.5M.

I'm more concerned with why the Javtokas deal isn't done though.
Others probably want longer contracts. Spurs probably want the best they can get for two years and that means crap.

strangeweather
07-12-2006, 01:27 AM
it's past your bedtime. elson is matched and then when the spurs are starting francisco oberto and people are griping then the spurs can trot out the...we tried everything last summer, we had free agents ignore us, we had the one we liked get matched, etc excuse.

elson is probably the only big on the market willing to take a 2 year deal
If they were going to go that far, why not just come out and claim that Javtokas is a potential All-Star or something. That would be more plausible.

timvp
07-12-2006, 01:28 AM
I still can't believe the Spurs are going to waste two of the best years of Duncan and Manu because they want to open up cap space in 2009.

Whatever happened to winning?

violentkitten
If they were going to go that far, why not just come out and claim that Javtokas is a potential All-Star or something. That would be more plausible.

been there done that. oberto ruined that move.

furry_spurry
If you don't think this PR works- check out another Spurs forum and read all the posters who think this sounds like a good signing. :lol

polandprzem
07-12-2006, 01:29 AM
Has T Park told us what he thinks about Elson yet?

I think not

:wakeup

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 01:30 AM
I still can't believe the Spurs are going to waste two of the best years of Duncan and Manu because they want to open up cap space in 2009.

duncan+parker+manu is enough to guarantee a playoff appearance, be deemed 'serious contenders' and make it to the 2nd round. why seek more?

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-12-2006, 01:31 AM
I dont think the Nuggets would match an offer like half the MLE for Frankie but u never know. We will miss him though if he leaves. A fan favourite he was, with some of us anyway :lol

As for Kleiza, he is going to be great. He didnt get much burn coz rookies never do under George Karl but when he did play he was great! Him and Najera are similar players so im guessing Eddie will be part of a trade this season.

polandprzem

Yea It doesn't make any sense. We know that and I believe Pop knows that. I heard to many Pop shows not to believing that they are not doing whatever is neccessery to sign the best possible player for the spurs.

violentkitten
If you don't think this PR works- check out another Spurs forum and read all the posters who think this sounds like a good signing. :lol

exactly. then when the nuggets match they become the evil bastards who stole the spurs' future all-star center away.

picnroll
T Park is still trying to figure out why Van Exel wasn't re-signed.

timvp

Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

:rollin

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-12-2006, 01:32 AM
how about an s&t for Udrih? :smokin

T Park
07-12-2006, 01:34 AM
o the spurs sign elson to a sheet, the nuggets match, and then all the kool aid drinking spurs fans have their scapegoat

whos the scapegoat?

The Nuggets?

furry_spurry
07-12-2006, 01:34 AM
I truly believe that the Spurs underestimate the contributions of the role players and still think that anyone can be plugged into those holes and it will work out fine. The problem is that the players willing to be hole fillers are getting lower and lower in quality. What big man wants to play in SA- do the dirty work all season- get no appreciation- sit on the bench during the play-offs- and then get blamed and scapegoated when the team loses.

T Park
07-12-2006, 01:36 AM
I'd love for someone to show me that link for where I said this is a bad move.

Fuck, Ludden is just going off what an agent says....

Lamond Murray was a "sure thing" once as well.

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 01:36 AM
it's a weeknight but i'm hitting the seagram's straight

timvp
07-12-2006, 01:37 AM
I truly believe that the Spurs underestimate the contributions of the role players and still think that anyone can be plugged into those holes and it will work out fine. The problem is that the players willing to be hole fillers are getting lower and lower in quality. What big man wants to come here- do the dirty work all season- get no appreciation- sit on the bench during the play-offs- and then get blamed and scapegoated when the team loses.

Money talks. If the Spurs would have offered Przybilla that fifth year, he'd be a Spur, IMO.

Przybilla for the entire MLE >>>>>>>>>> Elson for half

T Park
07-12-2006, 01:37 AM
Yet you didn't like the Spurs going after Pryzbilla.....

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 01:38 AM
I truly believe that the Spurs underestimate the contributions of the role players and still think that anyone can be plugged into those holes and it will work out fine. The problem is that the players willing to be hole fillers are getting lower and lower in quality. What big man wants to play in SA- do the dirty work all season- get no appreciation- sit on the bench during the play-offs- and then get blamed and scapegoated when the team loses.

that's part of it. what role playing bigman wants to come to sa and do all that for only 2 guaranteed years?

timvp
Link to where I said it was a good move?

I'd love for someone to show me that link for where I said this is a bad move.

:lmao :lmao

It's because you won't say anything one way or the other.

Buddy Holly
The article says the Spurs acknowledged that they are considering a restricted FA, but didn't name him.

Zo.

timvp
07-12-2006, 01:39 AM
Zo.

Zo isn't restricted, Buddy.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-12-2006, 01:40 AM
Nuggets will likely match it, they need him as security and our record with him starting was very good for the last couple of seasons. I thought it may have been too much but i am starting to think they would match that deal

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 01:40 AM
spurs wont go past 4 years for a starting level bigman and they wont go past 2 years for anyone else. so you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. i don't like it any more than you men.

Buddy Holly
07-12-2006, 01:41 AM
Zo isn't restricted, Buddy.

He's not? I thought he was. My bad.

furry_spurry
Money talks. If the Spurs would have offered Przybilla that fifth year, he'd be a Spur, IMO.

Przybilla for the entire MLE >>>>>>>>>> Elson for half
That is what I mean. They think if Przy does not come- that is OK- someone else will be accept what the Spurs offer and fill in fine.

The vast difference- Elson will come for 2 or 3 years.

polandprzem
Frankly

Who the fook is Pryzbilla?

I've seen many posters here mentoning his name.

violentkitten
Zo.

eh?

rayray2k8
Im at the point where having Jaron Collins is the better choice.
Oh god I cant believe im saying this but I miss Rasho already. :depressed
Somewhere right now, angel luv is smiling, along with Rasho himself. And probably Nazr too. :lol

timvp
Nuggets will likely match it, they need him as security and our record with him starting was very good for the last couple of seasons. I thought it may have been too much but i am starting to think they would match that deal

Hope you're right.

T Park
07-12-2006, 01:42 AM
I meant good move.

Elson?

No big deal.

Eh, I guess Im one of the few that just enjoys basketball, and whoever they get, root for, and have fun.

Its a sport, distraction, to real life.

Im not going to turn ot drinking over THIS.

Guess that makes me a horrible fan.

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 01:43 AM

and the mission is complete. elson was the only big the spurs could find who was amenable to the slight possibility of playing in sa for 2 guaranteed years.

koopa
07-12-2006, 01:43 AM
Frankly

Who the fook is Pryzbilla?

I've seen many posters here mentoning his name.

rasho part 2

damn if we get elson, it's gonna be straight up crap. beno would make a better choice at starting center

T Park
07-12-2006, 01:45 AM
so Violent doesn't like the Spurs offering him a contract, but is pissed if he DOESNT come here....

polandprzem
I meant good move.

Elson?

No big deal.

Eh, I guess Im one of the few that just enjoys basketball, and whoever they get, root for, and have fun.

Its a sport, distraction, to real life.

Im not going to turn ot drinking over THIS.

Guess that makes me a horrible fan.

No.

And what about the "fan" obssesion ? You are always mentioning this :wtf

Plus - you wanted Penny Hardaway. Yup. Not the one from the past.

furry_spurry
Oh god I cant believe im saying this but I miss Rasho already. :depressed
Somewhere right now, angel luv is smiling, along with Rasho himself.
It's morning at Slovenian National Team Training Camp and teammates are trying to figure out why Rasho looks so happy while Beno looks so sad. :lol

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 01:46 AM
so Violent doesn't like the Spurs offering him a contract,

correct

but is pissed if he DOESNT come here....

no. i'm pissed we're even at this point

Russ
07-12-2006, 01:46 AM
Javtokas will probably be better (and cheaper) than any of these other guys anyway.

Kori Ellis
07-12-2006, 01:47 AM
Javtokas will probably be better (and cheaper) than any of these other guys anyway.

We'll see if he even signs.

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 01:48 AM

right. spurs showing theyre willing to go after someone else helps keep his contract demands in check. it also lowers expectations after the spurs are shut out by nba bigs in free agency and sign him to be their starting center. win-lose, win-lose

T Park
07-12-2006, 01:48 AM
you wanted Penny Hardaway.

For the veteran minimum?

Why the hell not.

If he pans out its a win win.

If he doesnt he rides the IR all year.

polandprzem
07-12-2006, 01:49 AM
rasho part 2

damn if we get elson, it's gonna be straight up crap. beno would make a better choice at starting center

I was talking about Pryzbilla not Przybilla

:rolleyes

timvp
07-12-2006, 01:52 AM
The Nuggets have their own free agents. Andrews said his client, restricted free agent center Francisco Elson, is drawing interest from the San Antonio Spurs and the Suns have inquired about a sign-and-trade.

"I expect San Antonio will make an offer (the Nuggets would have seven days to match any signed offer sheet)," Andrews said. "But I don't know if it will be (today) or not."

Oh just get it over with. The only thing worse than signing Francisco Elson is to wait a couple days and then sign Francisco Elson.

polandprzem
07-12-2006, 01:52 AM
For the veteran minimum?

Why the hell not.

If he pans out its a win win.

If he doesnt he rides the IR all year.

Let's sign Ralph Sampson, for minimum, why not?
He is big and he is a basketball player.

T Park
07-12-2006, 01:54 AM
Let's sign Ralph Sampson, for minimum, why not?
He is big and he is a basketball player.

uh yeah....

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 01:55 AM
would the spurs be willing to go this route to hold down javtokas' price? think about that. if he pans out, the spurs will have gotten a starting quality rebounding and shotblocking machine for like $2 mil a season. considering the spurs are desperate for a center and have their full mle of $5.3 mil it's not hard to see that a little posturing might be in order. it's not like javtokas is a young player he's 26 so why not make your grab at nba million$ asap?

T Park
07-12-2006, 01:56 AM
I expect San Antonio will make an offe

So they havent

So were all going on heresay by an agent.

timvp
07-12-2006, 01:56 AM
would the spurs be willing to go this route to hold down javtokas' price? think about that. if he pans out, the spurs will have gotten a starting quality rebounding and shotblocking machine for like $2 mil a season. considering the spurs are desperate for a center and have their full mle of $5.3 mil it's not hard to see that a little posturing might be in order.

Hopefully it's anything other than actually signing Elson.

MannyIsGod
07-12-2006, 01:57 AM
If he's getting an offer, why is his agent out talking to every reporter within earshot? He sounds like someone trying to drum up interest and gain leverage for a S&T more than anything else. Seriously, if he really expects an offer why is he talking to every reporter who will listen?

MannyIsGod
07-12-2006, 01:58 AM
So they havent

So were all going on heresay by an agent.We established that on page one. Try and keep up.

T Park
07-12-2006, 01:59 AM
We established that on page one. Try and keep up.

Thank you forum moderator.

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 01:59 AM
If he's getting an offer, why is his agent out talking to every reporter within earshot? He sounds like someone trying to drum up interest and gain leverage for a S&T more than anything else. Seriously, if he really expects an offer why is he talking to every reporter who will listen?

nah, it sounds like an agent who is negotiating with a team in dire need of a center with up to $5.3 mil to spend who is having said player's nba rights held over his head.

why take the manu deal or even the oberto deal if you're javtokas?

MannyIsGod
07-12-2006, 02:01 AM
nah, it sounds like an agent who is negotiating with a team in dire need of a center with up to $5.3 mil to spend who is having said player's nba rights held over his head.

why take the manu deal or even the oberto deal if you're javtokas?WTF? Elson and Robertas don't share agents dude. I'm talking about Elson's agent blabbering everywhere.

MannyIsGod
Man, Marcus is going completely nuts. I think the loss to the Mavs really fucked him up.

violentkitten
WTF? Elson and Robertas don't share agents dude. I'm talking about Elson's agent blabbering everywhere.

then make that clear, dude. wtf?

timvp
07-12-2006, 02:02 AM
This could be a CIA move. Use Elson as a smoke screen while lowering the cost of Javtokas and looking at other free agents who are better. Or complete that big trade that is being rumored.

CIA, please.

MannyIsGod
07-12-2006, 02:05 AM
then make that clear, dude. wtf?I thought it was obvious when I mentioned a sign and trade.

MannyIsGod
07-12-2006, 02:07 AM
This could be a CIA move. Use Elson as a smoke screen while lowering the cost of Javtokas and looking at other free agents who are better. Or complete that big trade that is being rumored.

CIA, please.Seriously, think about all of this. Elson's agent won't shut up to reporters. The Spurs haven't said Elson is their man. Most importantly, Elso sucks and doesn't make sense that he'd get paid 2.5 million.

It has to be someone else.

I really really really really hope.

Winnipeg_Spur
07-12-2006, 02:09 AM
WTF is this 2 year nonsense?!?!

So are the Spurs going to be unwilling to trade for guys with more than 2 years too?

Spurs just need a little more talent in some key areas, whether that be a big or a long swingman, but the kind of players we'd like to see here aren't looking for 2 year deals. :cuss

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 02:09 AM
my guess is that the spurs have made it clear that they are splitting the mle in half...one for a big and the other for a wing. javtokas' agent, in light of the spurs inability to land a nba veteran big via free agency, tries to turn the screws and get more. spurs then up the ante with the bullshit (i hope) story about using that half to sign elson to an offer sheet.

looking at the scenario this way makes ludden's article make sense

timvp
07-12-2006, 02:12 AM
Hopefully it's just a ploy to make Javtokas take the LLE and STFU. If it's anything more than that the Spurs are screwed.

coachmac87
07-12-2006, 02:21 AM
:smokin :drunk once the spurs get javtokas signed im cool..hes a big...but i say they need to get rid of oberto and fuckin williams..matt bonner is on the roster too and he is another big(duncan,horry,bonner,javtokas,oberto, and the mystery signee) :smokin :drunk

TMSKILZ
07-12-2006, 02:54 AM
Elson, Collins or Wright are the Spurs targets? Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spurs are in trouble whether we sign either one or we don't. Terrible offseason!

ChumpDumper
07-12-2006, 02:58 AM
I just skipped from page one to page nine. It's hilarious what we can talk ourselves into.

milkyway21
07-12-2006, 02:59 AM
Elson? :huh

can we at least try call Shawn Kemp? :lol :lol :lol

BTW, heard the Nuggets will sign Nene but they will ship him or Martin and Andre Miller for AI. How true?
Is there a possiblity for us to sign Nene then if he lands in Paul Pierce's arena?

timvp
07-12-2006, 03:05 AM
I just skipped from page one to page nine. It's hilarious what we can talk ourselves into.

That was a good idea. A lot less painful than imagining the Spurs wasting half the MLE on Felson.

polandprzem
07-12-2006, 03:10 AM

Pryzbilla, Felson...

timvp
07-12-2006, 05:45 AM
Songaila hasn't been mentioned in the Express-News much.

Maybe it's him.

Bruno
07-12-2006, 06:03 AM
:elephant All Aboard The Francisco Elson Express :elephant

Quadzilla99
07-12-2006, 07:34 AM
Late to the discussion. Has anybody said Elson sucks yet? I wanted to add that in case it hadn't been added yet.

40 inch vertical
07-12-2006, 07:41 AM
Not knowing much about contracts, but knowing something about Zo's ego. I wouldn't be surprised if Alonzo see's SA as a chance to start at center (even with decreased minutes) and for a championship caliber team that could face Miama and Shaq in the finals. Maybe they are actually trying to get both Zo and Javtokas and the associated money mattters are what's causing "The [U]Great White Hop" to vascilate on signing.

SenorSpur
07-12-2006, 07:45 AM
Late to the discussion. Has anybody said Elson sucks yet? I wanted to add that in case it hadn't been added yet.

Yeah, it's been added but it never hurts to hear the same chorus again. It's obviously a fact that most Spurs fans know pretty well.

1Parker1
07-12-2006, 07:49 AM
In a Jan. 22 victory over the Spurs, Elson totaled 13 points, six rebounds and two steals while repeatedly beating Duncan and the rest of the Spurs' big men down the floor. Of course, Nesterovic once scored 24 points against David Robinson, a performance that helped persuade the Spurs to hand him a $42 million contract. It was a performance the Spurs never saw again.

WTF is Elson??? Wasn't he like the 4th strong back up big man for Denver? I have to believe that this is a ploy...we cannot expect to have a rotation of Tim Duncan and Elson as our starters with Horry and Oberto as backups :depressed

1Parker1
07-12-2006, 07:50 AM
Not knowing much about contracts, but knowing something about Zo's ego. I wouldn't be surprised if Alonzo see's SA as a chance to start at center (even with decreased minutes) and for a championship caliber team that could face Miama and Shaq in the finals. Maybe they are actually trying to get both Zo and Javtokas and the associated money mattters are what's causing "The [U]Great White Hop" to vascilate on signing.

:wtf Zo already agreed with to a contract with Miami...

spurster
07-12-2006, 08:08 AM
This is a lot of stomach churning for a player who will get 15 minutes playing time in any playoff series vs. the Suns or Mavs.

CavsFan89
07-12-2006, 09:26 AM
Spurs officials acknowledged they are strongly considering signing a restricted free agent to an offer sheet but wouldn't disclose the player's name. New York's Jackie Butler and Charlotte's Melvin Ely also are restricted free agents, but their respective teams seem more likely to match an offer than Denver. San Antonio Express-News

That sucks I wanted the Cavs to get Butler...So hopefully its Ely.

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 09:27 AM
welcome to last night.

MajorMike
07-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Francisco Elson will be a Spur.

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 09:28 AM
fuck you.

MajorMike
07-12-2006, 09:28 AM
Good morning to you, too.

Quadzilla99
07-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Francisco fucking Elson...jesus.

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Francisco fucking Elson...jesus.

http://kaufthal.com/graphics/kinghill.jpg

yep.

yep.

MajorMike
07-12-2006, 09:42 AM
05-06 He ave'd 21.9 MPG (career high, thank you injuries to Camby/Martin/Nene) 4.7 RPG 4.1 PPG
.215 RPM / .187 PPM

Nazr ave'd 17.4 MPG 5.2 RPG 6.2 PPG
.298 RPM / .356 PPM

Hmmmm....

timvp
07-12-2006, 10:07 AM
Nuggets Mailbox: Francisco Elson

You watch the games, you see the scores, but how do you really know what's going on in NBA Playoffs 2006? NBA.com has infiltrated the action with the ultimate insiders -- the players themselves. We're giving you an exclusive look at the postseason with a roster of player mailboxes.

Denver's Francisco Elson averaged 4.8 points and 4.6 rebounds for the Nuggets this season.

Q: What is the best part about being a Denver Nugget?
-- Bob, Dayton, OH

Elson: The organization is great, and I have great teammates. We are a very young team that is on the rise and becoming a very good team in the NBA.

Q: What player in the NBA has proved to be the most challenging player to guard?
-- Josh, Bolder, CO

Elson: I would say Dirk Nowitzki because he can do almost anything. And he shoots exceptionally well, which makes him very tough to guard.

Q: Cisco, What type of foods and drink in your everyday life to maintain your body strong?
-- I-Sic, Mountain View, CA

Elson: A lot of water and milk are the main things right now for me to maintain my body.

Q: What is it like playing with Carmelo during this series and the year?
-- Adam, Denver, CO

Elson: Amazing!! He is a great young talent and he is continuing to improve.

Q: Why do you wear the number 56?
-- Pete, Madrid, Spain

Elson: In memory of my brother, who also wore this number.

Q: What surprised you most about the Clippers during the playoffs?
-- Pablo, Denver, CO

Elson: They were very poised for the series and they just seemed hungrier than we were. They played a great series.

Q: Who was your inspiration on the basketball court growing up?
-- Tiger, Wellington New Zealand

Elson: Watching my brother play basketball really made it hard for me to play any other sport.

Q: What is your favorite TV show and video game?
-- Drew, Singapore

Elson: My favorite television show is Seinfeld. However, I don’t play video games.

I can't make this stuff up :rollin

Spurs get bounced by the Mavericks and then go get the anti Dirk Stopper.

Classic.

Spurminator
07-12-2006, 10:09 AM
You guys are panicking prematurely. Things are falling in place for something we all hoped was coming.

That's right.

The Return of David Robinson.

1Parker1
07-12-2006, 10:10 AM

Mr. Body
07-12-2006, 10:12 AM
I've said it all along... Arvydas Sabonis.

Old nemeses, together, maybe? Robinson and Sabonis keeping it down on the inside?

furry_spurry
07-12-2006, 10:21 AM
I know people want to grasp onto any CIA hope- but think about it- if you were trying to play hard ball with Javtokas or trying to put pressure on some other guy you really want to sign with SA- would you really float out a rumor about Elson? Don't you think that right now whoever that player is would be laughing?

I think the Spurs only want short term deals and that is what is going to happen. They will sign a short term bad deal rather than a long term "good" one.

If some RFA- one of the preferred ones- were going to be offered the MLE, wouldn't a player of that caliber want all 5 years and we have seen that the Spurs do not seem to have any interest in offering that-- they prefer 2 year deals.

I wonder what Pop- the coach- thinks about all this. He has input into the decision making process, but he does not have any kind of total control. He is the guy who has to turn the group of players into a championship team. Surely, there is someone else he wanted that the team would not foot the bill for.

I also am beginning to wonder just how much this team has been hurt by losses in the front office. The Spurs have especially lost alot of the guys who did the scouting. Lance Blanks- for his not so great on TV persona- was great at it, as well was Joe Prunty. It has never been just about Pop, RC, and Sam.

Obstructed_View
07-12-2006, 10:28 AM
The Return of David Robinson.
He's probably better at 41 than just about any other choice they have.

wildbill2u
07-12-2006, 10:29 AM
What's taking so long...

All the players and agents know that the Spurs are in somewhat of a bind with both their centers from last year gone.

That gives marginal players (like a 30 year old backup )and a draftee like Javtokas more leverage in contract talks than usual.

Added to the FO noted carefulness about money and length of contracts, this means that the Spurs are in a bind of their own making. However, they usually pull a rabbit out of the hardwood so keep the faith.

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 10:31 AM
like i said before the draft, it's up to robertas javtokas to make this offseason a success.

Quadzilla99
07-12-2006, 10:33 AM
like i said before the draft, it's up to robertas javtokas to make this offseason a success.Looks that way.

wildbill2u
07-12-2006, 10:35 AM

I tried to follow those directions in my imagination and had a stroke. I'm writing this from the emergency room on life support.

The doctors tell me that if Pop doesn't have something better than this up his sleeve, the emotional distress will probably be fatal. :madrun

Obstructed_View
07-12-2006, 10:52 AM
If you survived watching the Spurs lose to the Mavericks with the centers sitting on the bench for five games, you'll survive this.

timvp
07-12-2006, 11:06 AM
I tried to follow those directions in my imagination and had a stroke. I'm writing this from the emergency room on life support.

The doctors tell me that if Pop doesn't have something better than this up his sleeve, the emotional distress will probably be fatal. :madrun

Sorry to tell you but Nazr was also a better free-throw shooter.

T Park
07-12-2006, 11:09 AM
The doctors tell me that if Pop doesn't have something better than this up his sleeve, the emotional distress will probably be fatal.

good lord its a fucking game......

A fucking sport.

ChumpDumper
07-12-2006, 11:11 AM
I can't believe anybody claims to miss Lance Blanks' scouting.

TMSKILZ
07-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Bring DROB out of retirement! He's still better than 95% of the NBA Centers today!

Quadzilla99
07-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Francisco Elson in pictures.

http://64.13.133.31/pics/photos-64eb89a51086ad3527563878035d8ad2-l
--------------------------------------------------------------------------Elson^

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2006-05/23219953.jpg
----------------------------Elson^

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2006-04/22782835.jpg
----------------------------Elson^

wildbill2u
07-12-2006, 11:55 AM
good lord its a fucking game......

A fucking sport.

I have one word for you....Satire.