PDA

View Full Version : Possible 6 team trade?

Duncanoypi
07-12-2006, 03:40 AM
This is from realgm forum...The teams involve are Indy, Atlanta, GSW, Milwaukee and Sacramento...the last team is mysterious...is it the spurs...

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=543115

6 team 16 players... :fro

Leetonidas
07-12-2006, 03:46 AM
Atlanta and GS? I'm guessing the Spurs are involved.

Leetonidas
07-12-2006, 03:50 AM
But there's a rumor of a 6 team trade involving Philly and Boston...so if that's true, it'll be Philly, Boston, GS, Atlanta, Indiana, and Sacramento. No Spurs.

Borosai
07-12-2006, 03:51 AM
Seems likely the Spurs are the 6th team (based on my rumor accumulation theory) if in fact it does go down. Are those the players involved? Very interesting indeed. It's like Christmas Eve up in this biotch.

Leetonidas
07-12-2006, 03:52 AM
I get the feeling if it doesn't involve the Spurs that a lot of people here are going to be upset...be it hasn't been confirmed who the other team is and we've been very quiet so you never know...

Kori Ellis
07-12-2006, 04:02 AM
I heard the trade involved Boston, Philly, Sac and 3 other teams. Not GS or Atl.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-12-2006, 04:03 AM
SJax to Atlanta again?

That would be hilarious.

Kori Ellis
07-12-2006, 04:07 AM
There's some talk of it in this thread too

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45907&page=2&pp=26

Buddy Holly
07-12-2006, 05:25 AM
These big big team trades are always changing and Devin Brown did say a lot of things were cooking and some of it involved the Spurs.

So who knows.

But if GS and Atlanta are in this, I'd have to say the Spurs are too

TDMVPDPOY
07-12-2006, 05:58 AM
if we are the 6th team in that deal, i would like to see us get either stephen jackson, granger, josh smith, childress, biedrins.....thats about it.

Streakyshooter08
07-12-2006, 06:45 AM
if we are the 6th team in that deal, i would like to see us get either stephen jackson, granger, josh smith, childress, biedrins.....thats about it.

I guess this would be the best- case... Biedrins is possible but the others are out of reach I think.

Mr. Body
07-12-2006, 07:38 AM
I'd be hugely surprised to see the Spurs involved in any multi-team trades. It's not how they operate. In order to be involved, all teams in the deal must know your business, what you want, what you're looking for, with a high likelihood the trade doesn't go through. As secretive as the Spurs have been in the Pop/R.C. era I don't see it. The only 3-team trade I can think of, of any consequence, was the Mercer/Turkoglu/Brad Miller trade that they themselves instrumentalized - and that was out of desperation.

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 07:39 AM
the spurs will end up with brian scalabrine and a 2nd round pick in 2024

Extra Stout
07-12-2006, 07:50 AM
I'd be hugely surprised to see the Spurs involved in any multi-team trades. It's not how they operate. In order to be involved, all teams in the deal must know your business, what you want, what you're looking for, with a high likelihood the trade doesn't go through. As secretive as the Spurs have been in the Pop/R.C. era I don't see it. The only 3-team trade I can think of, of any consequence, was the Mercer/Turkoglu/Brad Miller trade that they themselves instrumentalized - and that was out of desperation.
This post is very funny. It's a veritable cornucopia of factual errors.

Mr. Body
07-12-2006, 07:59 AM
This post is very funny. It's a veritable cornucopia of factual errors.

What, then, Oh Smart One? I'm not recalling multi-team trades the Spurs have been involved in of any consequence. One reason might be because they play it close to the vest.

Enlighten us.

Extra Stout
07-12-2006, 08:12 AM
What, then, Oh Smart One? I'm not recalling multi-team trades the Spurs have been involved in of any consequence. One reason might be because they play it close to the vest.

Enlighten us.
1) The Spurs, like most front offices, are on the phone talking to other teams a lot. They don't sit on their heinies. They called everyone and their grandma trying to dump Rasho. GM's talk to one another.

2) The Spurs' needs are not a secret. Pop told the media exactly what the Spurs are looking for this offseason: a long 3, a big, a backup PG. Looking at their roster, somehow I doubt they secretly are searching for a new starting 2 instead.

3) Teams get wind of what the Spurs are up to. Last year, Rod Thorn heard about the Barry-for-J.R. Smith trade proposal and started working to disrupt it.

4) Multi-team trades don't exactly happen everyday anyway. They are difficult to put together. The Spurs aren't like some mediocre teams swapping players in and out willy-nilly.

5) Where the Spurs differ from other teams is that they are more vigilant in stamping out leaks, both in their organization, and in organizations that aspire to deal with them. You aren't going to hear about a Spurs trade rumor in the media unless the trade is already dead.

6) The Turkoglu trade was anything but Spurs' desperation. Indiana and Sacramento were formulating a Brad Miller trade anyway, and Sam Presti had the brainstorm that by trading the non-guaranteed contract of a retired Danny Ferry, the Spurs could get a player they coveted essentially for free, in return for nothing more than helping Indy/Sac match salaries.

picnroll
07-12-2006, 08:13 AM
The way things are going this off season I expect Elson and Duncan are somehow involved.

1Parker1
07-12-2006, 08:17 AM
I hope it involves Philly, Boston, Spurs...something along the lines of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Bruce Bowen to Philly for Iverson, Igodala, Paul Pierce, and Wally. :)

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-12-2006, 08:26 AM
What big guys do those other teams have that the Spurs might be interested in?

Mr. Body
07-12-2006, 08:54 AM
1) The Spurs, like most front offices, are on the phone talking to other teams a lot. They don't sit on their heinies. They called everyone and their grandma trying to dump Rasho. GM's talk to one another.

No shit. Did you even read my post? I said it's unlikely they get involved in MULTI-TEAM DEALS, not deals at all.

2) The Spurs' needs are not a secret. Pop told the media exactly what the Spurs are looking for this offseason: a long 3, a big, a backup PG. Looking at their roster, somehow I doubt they secretly are searching for a new starting 2 instead.

Not positionally, but by player. To be involved in large multi-team deals, it's more likely at times for better players to be involved; if they were shopping a Parker, it's harder to hide. Too many fingers in the pot. It is also more likely that the trades collapse in the end, leaving the nearly traded players, should they find out, in the dust trying to pick up the pieces. The scare of a trade got Brent Barry playing better last year, but that was exceptional.

More, the reason why the Spurs would be secretive during a multi-team deal is... because they are operational secretive.

3) Teams get wind of what the Spurs are up to. Last year, Rod Thorn heard about the Barry-for-J.R. Smith trade proposal and started working to disrupt it.

So you're saying Marc Jackson was traded to New Orleans in order to stop the Spurs from getting JR Smith? That's idiotic.

4) Multi-team trades don't exactly happen everyday anyway. They are difficult to put together. The Spurs aren't like some mediocre teams swapping players in and out willy-nilly.

No joke? Did I ever say so? If involved at all, it's getting rid of Oberto, Barry, and/or Udrih. No surprise. If they were involved, it would not be wily-nily. While multi-trade teams often are just that: wily-nily.

5) Where the Spurs differ from other teams is that they are more vigilant in stamping out leaks, both in their organization, and in organizations that aspire to deal with them. You aren't going to hear about a Spurs trade rumor in the media unless the trade is already dead.

I'm pretty sure at this point you didn't read my post at all and just have a giant bug up your ass.

MY POINT IS: THE SPURS WOULD SHY FROM A HUGE MULTI-TEAM TRADE BECAUSE THEY ARE SO EASY TO LEAK.

I was speculating. I didn't say they would never do it - and this trade, if there even is one, seems more ship-tight than usual - I was saying they're not the sort of team to get involved.

6) The Turkoglu trade was anything but Spurs' desperation. Indiana and Sacramento were formulating a Brad Miller trade anyway, and Sam Presti had the brainstorm that by trading the non-guaranteed contract of a retired Danny Ferry, the Spurs could get a player they coveted essentially for free, in return for nothing more than helping Indy/Sac match salaries.

The Spurs could get nothing for their cap room before that trade. They opportunistically get involved in order to get players out of a fomenting trade. Was it the most desperate trade in the world? Of course not. Was it pretty brilliant? Of course.

Do the Spurs race down 3-team and multi-team deals as a matter of course? Of course not. It's not their style, it goes against how they usually do things, because they tend to be haphazard and there are too many people on all ends for leaks to come out and ruin the trade or degrade the players involved if it falls through. The Spurs tend not to freely advertise the players they want to trade.

You're a true buffoon. I'm not even sure there were any facts to prove right or wrong in my original post, simply observations. The observations might have been not entirely clear or not exceptionally on point, but they were far from the "veritable cornucopia" of wrongness you stupidly bleated. They were just observations of why the Spurs are unlikely to get involved in anything like this.

Dipshit.

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 09:19 AM
i know the nesterovic trade took me by surprise. ditto for the rose one.

the spurs wont shy away from any trade that can improve the club. they do try to keep their deals on the down low but that's not going to keep them from improving the team if it's available. it's pretty obvious the team needs a starting quality big and a big 3.

shhhhh. dont let the secret out.

Extra Stout
07-12-2006, 09:34 AM
No shit. Did you even read my post? I said it's unlikely they get involved in MULTI-TEAM DEALS, not deals at all.
Your reasoning behind why they don't is faulty.

Not positionally, but by player. To be involved in large multi-team deals, it's more likely at times for better players to be involved; if they were shopping a Parker, it's harder to hide. Too many fingers in the pot. It is also more likely that the trades collapse in the end, leaving the nearly traded players, should they find out, in the dust trying to pick up the pieces. The scare of a trade got Brent Barry playing better last year, but that was exceptional.
:lol Oh, this is rich. The reason the Spurs don't get involved in multi-team trades with Duncan, Parker, or Ginobili is because they don't want to trade Duncan, Parker, or Ginobili, not because they're concerned about hurt feelings. If they were shopping those guys, and a multi-team deal is what it took to match salaries, that's what they would do. Remember the Jason Kidd fiasco? Were the Spurs all tore up about Tony Parker's feelings then?

You could have come out and argued, "If the Spurs wanted to do a multi-team deal, it more than likely would involve one of the big 3, so they won't." But no, you argued that it's because they're secretive, which is BS.

More, the reason why the Spurs would be secretive during a multi-team deal is... because they are operational secretive.
Ooh, that's deep.

So you're saying Marc Jackson was traded to New Orleans in order to stop the Spurs from getting JR Smith? That's idiotic.
That's not what I said. I said Thorn called to disrupt the Barry/Smith trade.

No joke? Did I ever say so? If involved at all, it's getting rid of Oberto, Barry, and/or Udrih. No surprise. If they were involved, it would not be wily-nily. While multi-trade teams often are just that: wily-nily.
Well, since the big multi-team trades are so rare, the fact that the Spurs actually have been involved in one the past few years would sort of defeat the argument that they are just so much less likely to get involved than other teams.

The Spurs could have been discussing deals and you and I just never hear about because they run a tight ship. Did you know most years when they have a draft pick, they have multiple trades lined up depending on who gets picked when? You never hear about it.

MY POINT IS: THE SPURS WOULD SHY FROM A HUGE MULTI-TEAM TRADE BECAUSE THEY ARE SO EASY TO LEAK.
And your arguments behind that point were spectacularly weak.

I was speculating. I didn't say they would never do it - and this trade, if there even is one, seems more ship-tight than usual - I was saying they're not the sort of team to get involved.
Well, if you're just speculating, then don't play Mr. Know-It-All. And no, they're not the kind of team to get involved trading one of the Big 3. But they are the kind of team to see if they can get in on the action by dumping expiring contracts or with other cap tricks.

The Spurs could get nothing for their cap room before that trade. They opportunistically get involved in order to get players out of a fomenting trade. Was it the most desperate trade in the world? Of course not. Was it pretty brilliant? Of course.
The "desperation" was on the part of Spurs fans. We were the ones that built up the huge hopes of Jermaine O'Neal, etc., if Kidd didn't come. The Spurs used that cap flexibility to do things like re-sign Parker and Ginobili down the road without breaking the bank. So your choice of the word "desperation" was silly.

Do the Spurs race down 3-team and multi-team deals as a matter of course? Of course not. It's not their style, it goes against how they usually do things, because they tend to be haphazard and there are too many people on all ends for leaks to come out and ruin the trade or degrade the players involved if it falls through. The Spurs tend not to freely advertise the players they want to trade.
No, the Spurs are not terribly concerned if Fabricio Oberto or Eric Williams get their feelings hurt if they are throw-ins on a multi-team trade. You are full of it.

And the Spurs don't freely advertise players they want to trade? Hello, Rasho Nesterovic?

You're a true buffoon. I'm not even sure there were any facts to prove right or wrong in my original post, simply observations. The observations might have been not entirely clear or not exceptionally on point, but they were far from the "veritable cornucopia" of wrongness you stupidly bleated. They were just observations of why the Spurs are unlikely to get involved in anything like this.

Dipshit.
I know, when Mr. Know-It-All gets called on his bullshit, he gets all puffy and has to start calling names. Need a pacifier?

furry_spurry
07-12-2006, 09:42 AM
a trade involving GS would include Utah- that is where this all began

Mr. Body
07-12-2006, 09:43 AM
Hey, Fat Ass. I think you're completely blowing it. Here's the points, quickly enumerated:

1. Multi-party deals involve lots of people on all ends, making it hard to keep a lid on things.

Actually, that's about it. The Spurs like to keep things under wraps until a deal is consummated. There are attendant reasons, but big deal, right?

All I was saying was, it's unlikely the Spurs are on-board. Could they be? Sure. None of your points detract from this. Most the time you are willfully misreading what I'm saying due to some enormous animus against... well, let's just call it a big bug up your ass.

I got chippy with you because the tone of your voice was like unto a delirious kindergartners' having an allergic reaction. You came in with an enormous bug up your ass and thus the 'dipshit' label. My suggestion would be to remove that gigantic bug up your ass and so, without that giant bug up your ass, you might be more comfortable and stop talking like... well, like a child who as a giant bug up his ass.

Let's try that, shall we? Good.

Kori Ellis
07-12-2006, 09:50 AM
Trade Talk:

There's reportedly talks between Nuggets, Hawks, Warriors, which tie into the Utah-GS trade that was on the table.

There were talks of a 3-team trade involving Indy, Sac and someone else, but Indy denies that they want Bonzi.

SenorSpur
07-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Trade Talk:

There's reportedly talks between Nuggets, Hawks, Warriors, which tie into the Utah-GS trade that was on the table.

There were talks of a 3-team trade involving Indy, Sac and someone else, but Indy denies that they want Bonzi.

Just heard on local Dallas radio that the Mavs have now turned their attention toward Bonzi Wells. If so, they'll have to do better than the 7 yr, $36m offer the Kings threw at him.

Bruno
07-12-2006, 11:10 AM
Trade Talk:

Denver is a bad fit for the third team in the GS/Atl trade for Harrington. Only Pietrus make sense for denver and I don't seewhat they can offer for him except draft picks.

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 11:14 AM
how do we get pietrus?

Streakyshooter08
07-12-2006, 11:17 AM
So this means no blockbuster for spurs... :pctoss

DarkReign
07-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Little off-topic here, but why is that asshole Rod Thorn always busting balls?

Does he have a hard on for the Spurs, too?

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 11:26 AM
Little off-topic here, but why is that asshole Rod Thorn always busting balls?

Does he have a hard on for the Spurs, too?

yeah. he wouldnt have known the difference between nonad krstic and his third chin on draft day a few years ago if he hadnt heard that the spurs were interested in him. fucker's been up in the spurs shit too often over the last few years.