PDA

View Full Version : Hinrich Named To USA Basketball Men's Senior National Team

Kori Ellis
07-12-2006, 09:55 AM
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (July 12, 2006) -- Chicago Bulls 6-3 guard Kirk Hinrich has been named to the 2006-08 USA Basketball Men's Senior National Team roster, USA Basketball Men's Senior National Team Managing Director Jerry Colangelo announced today. The 2006-08 USA Senior National Team roster now features 24 players.

"We're happy to add Kirk. He is a great competitor who should excel in international play. His game continues to progress and we believe he will fit in well with the style of play we anticipate playing," said Colangelo.

"Kirk is a terrific addition to our USA Senior Team," commented USA head coach Mike Krzyzewski. "He is an excellent passer and the kind of guard who excels in an up-tempo offense. He just completed his third NBA season and it is obvious he is getting better each season and his best is yet to be seen."

"It's an honor to be invited to represent the United States and play for USA Basketball. Our team has incredible talent and I look forward to doing anything I can to contribute to make the team as good as it can be. I love my country and the opportunity to bring home a gold medal is a dream come true," said Hinrich.

Hinrich, completing in 2005-06 his third NBA season with the Chicago Bulls, played and started in a career best 81 games and averaged a career high 15.9 points per game, as well as 6.3 assists (15th highest in the NBA), 3.6 rebounds and 1.16 steals per game, while shooting career highs of 41.8 percent from the field, 81.5 percent from the foul line and 37.0 percent from 3-point. During Chicago's six playoff games in 2006, Hinrich upped his numbers to 20.5 ppg., 7.7 apg. and 1.33 spg.

An All-American third team selection as a senior (2002-03), Hinrich played four seasons (1999-2000 through 2002-03) at the University of Kansas and was the number seven overall selection in the 2003 NBA Draft.

He currently ranks as Kansas' third all-time leader in 3-point field goal percentage (.429), third in 3-point field goals made (235) and attempted (546), third in minutes played (4187), fourth in assists (668), fourth in steals (206), fourth in games played (141), fifth in free throw percentage (.776), eighth in games started (118), ninth in scoring (1,753), 11th in field goals attempted (1247) and 12th in field goals made (615).

Hinrich played one prior time for USA Basketball, as a member of the 1999 USA Basketball Junior National Select Team that defeated a World Select Team 107-95 in the 1999 Nike Hoop Summit in Tampa, Fla. He recorded seven points and added two assists and one steal in 10 minutes of action.

Hinrich joins the 23 players USA Basketball named earlier to its historic 2006-2008 USA Basketball Men's Senior National Team program. Previously named to the 2006-08 USA Men's Senior National Team were: Carmelo Anthony (Denver Nuggets); Gilbert Arenas (Washington Wizards); Shane Battier (Memphis Grizzlies); Chauncey Billups (Detroit Pistons); Chris Bosh (Toronto Raptors); Bruce Bowen (San Antonio Spurs); Elton Brand (Los Angeles Clippers); Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers); Dwight Howard (Orlando Magic); LeBron James (Cleveland Cavaliers); Antawn Jamison (Washington Wizards); Joe Johnson (Atlanta Hawks); Shawn Marion (Phoenix Suns); Brad Miller (Sacramento Kings); Adam Morrison (Charlotte Bobcats/Gonzaga University); Lamar Odom (Los Angeles Lakers); Chris Paul (New Orleans/ Oklahoma City Hornets); Paul Pierce (Boston Celtics); Michael Redd (Milwaukee Bucks); J.J. Redick (Orlando Magic/Duke University); Luke Ridnour (Seattle SuperSonics); Amaré Stoudemire (Phoenix Suns); and Dwyane Wade (Miami Heat).

Krzyzewski was named on Oct. 26, 2005, head coach of the USA Senior Team program for 2006-2008, and named assistant coaches were Syracuse University (N.Y.) and Hall of Fame mentor Jim Boeheim, Phoenix Suns head mentor Mike D'Antoni, and Portland Trail Blazers head coach Nate McMillan.

The USA Basketball Men's Senior National Team will open training in Las Vegas on July 19 and train through July 25 with the 24 members of the 2006-08 USA Basketball Men's Senior National Team.

Following a five-day break, finalists for the USA World Championship Team will reconvene in Las Vegas on July 31 for the start of the second phase of the team's domestic training. The USA will train July 31-Aug. 2 and meet Puerto Rico in the 2006 State Farm USA Basketball Challenge at the Thomas & Mack Center on Aug. 3 at 8 p.m. (PDT).

Quadzilla99
07-12-2006, 09:59 AM
I thought he should have been there over Ridnour originally, who still doesn't belong there btw.

1Parker1
07-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Damn, the 2003 draft turned out to be nice...I forgot he was in that one as well.

Kori Ellis
07-12-2006, 10:02 AM
I thought he should have been there over Ridnour originally, who still doesn't belong there btw.

Agreed.

Kori Ellis
07-12-2006, 10:10 AM
Because of back, Redick won't try out for Team USA
By John Denton
Special to ESPN.com

ORLANDO -- Orlando Magic rookie J.J. Redick said Tuesday that the back injury he suffered more than a month ago will keep him from participating in the tryouts for Team USA later this month.

The former Duke star isn't playing this week in the Orlando summer league as he continues to rehabilitate the herniated disc in his lower back.

Redick was one of two college players -- Adam Morrison is the other -- picked to try out for Team USA's entry into the World Championships. He was a long shot to make the roster with Kobe Bryant and Dwyane Wade expected to play most of the minutes at shooting guard. The NCAA's all-time leader in 3-pointers made (457), Redick was hoping to provide Team USA some much-needed shooting from the perimeter.

Redick said he has yet to inform Duke's Mike Krzyzewski, Team USA's head coach, of his decision to pull out of the workouts. Redick still plans to attend the training camp starting July 18 in Las Vegas, but he said sitting out is the smart thing to do.

"I'm going out there, but I just can't play in it right now,'' Redick said. "It's just a matter of how much stronger I can get my back now. The MRI I had [last Thursday] showed that the herniation is getting smaller. I'll have another MRI to check the progress, but I'm not feeling any pain.''

danyel
07-12-2006, 06:15 PM
Hinrich is perfect for the international game