PDA

View Full Version : Spurs worst offseason yet?

davi78239
07-12-2006, 02:18 PM
Talk about nothing to get and now that Javtokas isn't coming. Damn!!

Mavs_man_41
07-12-2006, 02:21 PM
LOL u are about to get flamed for this thread.....

Mr. Body
07-12-2006, 02:21 PM
I'm official on this point. Sign me up: Worst Off-season ever.

yavozerb
07-12-2006, 02:22 PM
I still think we will get help via trade rather than FA...

Leetonidas
07-12-2006, 02:23 PM
Seeing as how the moratorium ended today, I'd sit back and wait for awhile before I bitch and complain.

GrandeDavid
07-12-2006, 02:25 PM
So far so shitty!

clambake
07-12-2006, 02:27 PM
What do you expect to get thru trades?

Mr. Body
07-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Someone wake up timvp and Kori so we can all throw up into the same cistern.

davi78239
07-12-2006, 02:29 PM
What do you expect to get thru trades?

Right now, trades are our only real hope.

Mavs_man_41
07-12-2006, 02:30 PM
I Hate to be a dick but you guys are screwed.......unless you want to take a certain over paid center off of the mavericks hands.......lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-12-2006, 02:31 PM
Now the Spurs have to get in on that 6-team trade.

davi78239
07-12-2006, 02:34 PM
Anyone want Scola now?

PM5K
07-12-2006, 02:38 PM
I think it's a perfect time to bitch and complain, no need to wait since we know we aren't getting Javtokas...

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Shaggy17 is gonna have a field day.

Leetonidas
07-12-2006, 02:39 PM
Anyone want Scola now?

No

shaggy17
07-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Shaggy17 is gonna have a field day.

:lol Believe it or not I am trusting the Front office. I am not going to spew off shit on them because I trust what they are doing. I might be stupid for saying that but I am not going to PMS on this shit because my gut tells me something is up (I could be wrong on that gut feeling tho)

spurs are cray cray
07-12-2006, 02:44 PM
yall are so fucking dumb. the spurs have the best FO ever, they always make the right decisions. yall are talking about javtokas like hes great and hes not. he plays in europe where the talent level is shit. have yall ever seen him play with people as skilled as NBA players. last time I checked we still had Tim Duncan, Bruce Bowen, Tony Parker, Michael Finbley and the only foreign player we've ever brought over who has actually panned out (Manu). Elsons young and so is Butler and its not like theyre gonna be getting massive contracts so which ever one we get is going to play to the best of their ability and become better with our great coaching. The mavs have gotten worse, who knows what the suns will do and bowens still around to contain everyone else. Yall are acting like you're knicks fans. Small Ball worked shitheads, we just didn't have the right people to do it. There isnt any centers this year that will be forces to be reckoned with and we have people to guard the other big guys (dirk, kg, sheed, amare, melo). Yall were talking last year about how oberto would be fantastic and hes a piece of shit, thats exactly what robertas would have done. good god, we'll be fine. Our centers havent been the reason our D was good the last two years since Dave left. THe only person who will give us problems now is Yao but what the fuck is anyone else on his team besides Tmac gonna do? NOTHING. we're gonna be better next year cause of how hungry we are. I mean was our offseason before 2005 that good? No we got barry and beno and everyone was cryin. We have our core tthat has won us championships, the spurs always change out role players. And we're still probably gonna trade brent just shut up. elson can be developed so can butler, javtoakas woulda been another fabs

STEVEYCU
07-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Since the Spurs cant find any good bigs, Pop should put a call in to D - Rob and ask him to come play a year, He would be better than any one on the Spurs radar now and who knows maybe after two years those kness may be feelin good, if Mourning can be a shoot blocker and rebounder Dave could too, he was always better than Zo anyways

Mavs_man_41
07-12-2006, 02:46 PM
HAHA ur funny

Mavs_man_41
07-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Why dont u just offer bill russel a contract i think he is still alive.

spurs are cray cray
07-12-2006, 02:50 PM
are you retarded theyre not that desperate at all. in fact we arent desperate. cause we almost beat the mavs with small ball and now were gonna get one good agile physical center (elson or butler) along with three point shooting big man Bonner and Rob to really cap it off. YES THE HEAT BEAT THE MAVS WITH THEIR BIGS BUT HELLO? SHAQ AND ALONZO MOURNING ARE TWO TOP 100 PLAYERS OF ALL TIME, IN 10 YEARS NOBODY WILL REMEMBER NAZR MOHAMMED AND RASHO NESTEROVIC. FRANSISCO ELSON IS AGILE AND EXPLOSIVE WITH SOFT HANDS EXACTLY WHAT WE NEED, HE WONT SHOOT 8 INCH HOOK SHOTS LIKE RASHO OR HAVE HIS HANDS TURN TO STONE LIKE NAZR

davi78239
07-12-2006, 02:59 PM
On the other hand, who ever the Spurs end up with may not be that bad at all, considering that they'll be in a different (better) system in the Spurs. That's something to kinda think about.

picnroll
07-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Change mine from Mahinmi in '07 to Oden in '07

Budkin
07-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Time will tell if it's the worst, but it sure has been the most disappointing.

:depressed

Mr. Body
07-12-2006, 03:20 PM
We always follow championship seasons with crummy offseasons, it seems.

Oh... we didn't win it this year.

JGrice02
07-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Whatever shine and luster the Front Office had going into this offseason is quickly fading away. Let's not pretend that previous success means the current regime is making smart decisions today. They have made dumb decisions in the past too. They passed on Josh Howard in a futile attempt to sign Jason Kidd. People cry about not having a long 3. Well, we had our chance to get Howard but the same front office that everyone praises screwed that up royally.

Now we have to watch as they make no significant additions and suffer one meaningful loss. Losing Nazr really hurts now. People can say he dind't play agaisnt the Mavs all they way, he is still a valuable asset and he would have played a ton against Shaq and Miami. Now the Spurs have no one to play center and Duncan will be forced to play the 5. The only problem with that is the Spurs don't have anyone adequate to play the 4 if Duncan moves over.

They are being cheap. Maybe they have a good reason. But it will cost them revenue during the regular season and a lot of revenue if they don't go deep into the playoffs. It is obvious they have tried to make several moves and failed. In other words, they wanted certian events to unfold but those events did not unfold as planned so whatever goal they sought to accomplish this offseason has been a complete failure.

Maybe they can patch holes here and there but they, like the Mavs, should be very very dissapointed with what has transpired the past couple of weeks. Their depth is getting worse and they didn't address a single need to give them a better chance against the Mavs. They are still a top 3 team out West but I grade their offseason as a D (a C- if they can sign Butler).

dbestpro
07-12-2006, 03:45 PM
The Spurs by all indications are heading in the wrong direction. Signing third string players as primary backups or starters is not a good sign. Unable to sign players from overseas who are suppose to be our life line to maintain greatness is just stupid. It appears that the ideology that brought PF Smith from New York, (worse move by Pop) has returned.

As a fan and a consumer the only thing you can do is take a wait and see approach. So for now, until I can see that the Spurs are still committed to winning (which is in serious doubt) I will wait on renewing my season tickets. It is the only leverage that a fan really has.

Brutalis
07-12-2006, 03:45 PM
i'm signing up as well. worst offseason ever.

Brutalis
07-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Good for you dude!

Mr. Body
07-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Yes, it's Charles Smith Days all over again.

SPARKY
07-12-2006, 03:47 PM
This is what happens when ownership meddles. You were warned.

MoSpur
07-12-2006, 03:48 PM
The Spurs by all indications are heading in the wrong direction. Signing third string players as primary backups or starters is not a good sign. Unable to sign players from overseas who are suppose to be our life line to maintain greatness is just stupid. It appears that the ideology that brought PF Smith from New York, (worse move by Pop) has returned.

As a fan and a consumer the only thing you can do is take a wait and see approach. So for now, until I can see that the Spurs are still committed to winning (which is in serious doubt) I will wait on renewing my season tickets. It is the only leverage that a fan really has.

:rolleyes

angel_luv
07-12-2006, 03:50 PM

You will be sorry if you wait too long-things will work out and all the good seats will be taken.

Believe! :)

Please_dont_ban_me
07-12-2006, 03:52 PM
3rd string?

Maybe Jackie Butler, but Elson is only "3rd string" because he's playing behind Nene/Kmart/Camby. On any other team he would be a strong contributor off the bench at the least, and the starter at the most.

SPARKY
Absolutely we should expect more. The Spurs have one of the greatest big men of all time at age 30. Win now and stop bringing in this dogshit.

MrChug
Your Mom went in the wrong direction.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Absolutely we should expect more. The Spurs have one of the greatest big men of all time at age 30. Win now and stop bringing in this dogshit.

This is not dog shit.

Elson is a quality big at a bargain. Jackie Butler is a guy with huge upside who we will be getting at a bargain as well. We don't need much more then dog shit at Center to win when you have TP/Manu/Tim...so why overpay for some shmuck?

The only thing I'm not pleased about is we passed on Javtokas. But Elson and Jackie Butler aren't exactly your Jack Haley's of the league.

Dre_7
07-12-2006, 03:58 PM
I dont understand why people dont like Elson?

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-12-2006, 03:59 PM
just as a sidenote for you guys, the Nuggets are something like 34-13 with Frankie as a starter :smokin

IcemanCometh
07-12-2006, 03:59 PM
http://www.telenetwork.com/~bramos/spurspancake.jpg

SPARKY
07-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Elson is shit. As is Vaughn. Butler is ok but not as your starting 5.

This is not dog shit.

Elson is a quality big at a bargain. Jackie Butler is a guy with huge upside who we will be getting at a bargain as well. We don't need much more then dog shit at Center to win when you have TP/Manu/Tim...so why overpay for some shmuck?

The only think I'm not pleased about is we passed on Javtokas. But Elson and Jackie Butler aren't exactly your Jack Haley's of the league.

Mr. Body
I don't think anybody minds either Elson or Butler. Elson isn't gonna flip anyone's fannies, but... fuck it, he kind of sucks. At least Butler has some upside.

As Pdbm points out, pissing away the potentially remarkable upside of Javtokas seems brainnumbingly stupid.

ducks
yes ice always has to start his own thread

dbestpro
Jack Haley 3.5 ppg 2.7 apg lifetime
Francisco Elson 4.1 ppg 3.7 rpg

There not the same?

Dre_7
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45993

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45994

yavozerb
07-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Dumb ass thread!! I remember when we signed sjax and people were complaining..I remember when we re-signed Rose and everyone thought out mgmt was great..People were dogging finley saying he was to old ..Let the fans be fans and let the mgmt manage..Damn. I think everyone agrees we have our 3 main horses and you try and work pieces around them, but you must also think about years to come and not only now!!

yavozerb
07-12-2006, 04:03 PM
What up-side??I didnt know this guy has proven anything yet? As far as we know he may be demanding a 3-4 year contract..Do you really like him that much?

Please_dont_ban_me
07-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Jack Haley 3.5 ppg 2.7 apg lifetime
Francisco Elson 4.1 ppg 3.7 rpg

There not the same?

I don't think Jack Haley every body'd up on KG.

I love how some people on this site jump at the chance to use stats to try to prove somebody wrong. Do you guys who do that even watch games, or just loko at box scores. Do you get TNT/Espn/Nba Tv? Please make some references to what you have SEEN before you copy paste stat lines.

dbestpro
07-12-2006, 04:08 PM
Rose, Finley and Jackson are players.

Vaughn (4.8) and Elson (4.1) combined average of 8.9 ppg.

When you start playing for future you start playing for the lottery.

Dre_7
07-12-2006, 04:10 PM

The future? Since when are Elson and Vaughn signings for teh future?

dbestpro
07-12-2006, 04:10 PM
You used the Haley comparision. The only thing you have to go on is stat lines. When Haley played he played hard too. That didn't make him any good. Neither is Elson. He probably will be our third string center too behing Duncan and Oberto.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-12-2006, 04:11 PM
http://media.mnginteractive.com/media/paper36/0119nuggets.jpg

dbestpro
07-12-2006, 04:12 PM
"but you must also think about years to come and not only now!!"

"The future? Since when are Elson and Vaughn signings for teh future?"

yavozerb
07-12-2006, 04:12 PM

When you start giving big money and long contracts to players who have not proven they can play night in and night out you become the knicks!!You have to have a balance of now and later...I guess everyone here simply wants the spurs to overpay like most of the league for some unproven players!!

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 04:14 PM
this is fucking retarded. the spurs offload $40 mil from 2006-09 in payroll expense and then they make a run at two marginal bigmen and jacque cousteau or whatever.

yipppeeee.

Dre_7
07-12-2006, 04:25 PM
this is fucking retarded. the spurs offload $40 mil from 2006-09 in payroll expense and then they make a run at two marginal bigmen and jacque cousteau or whatever.

yipppeeee.

They actually made a ran at Joel Pryzbilla and Alonzo Mourning. Cant fault the Spurs for those two not wanting to come.

ShoogarBear
07-12-2006, 04:28 PM
They didn't make a "run" at Pryz and Zo. More like a half-step towards them.

Extra Stout
07-12-2006, 04:32 PM
They actually made a ran at Joel Pryzbilla and Alonzo Mourning. Cant fault the Spurs for those two not wanting to come.
Yes you can blame the Spurs for focusing on players they had a negligible chance of acquiring.

That was just for show anyway.

Holt paid the luxury tax this past year, and he is not going to let it happen again. He's taking a windfall for the next two years. Most Spurs fans don't follow player acquisitions closely and will see the Big 3 and have visions of more titles.

I don't know, maybe Holt watched the playoffs last year and figured that since the players don't get to decide the championship anymore, why invest so much in players?

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 04:33 PM
They didn't make a "run" at Pryz and Zo. More like a half-step towards them.

exactly. it's like they headed into this offseason determined to offload rasho and not much else.

dbestpro
07-12-2006, 04:37 PM
It was fun while it lasted. These off season moves place the Spurs from a 1-2 seed down to a 4 or 5 seed. We may not even get home court advantage in the first round.

Dre_7
07-12-2006, 04:43 PM
It was fun while it lasted. These off season moves place the Spurs from a 1-2 seed down to a 4 or 5 seed. We may not even get home court advantage in the first round.

Wanna put money on that?

The Spurs were one dumb foul away from IMO winning their 4th title.

:lol Some people.

Lebowski Brickowski
07-12-2006, 04:49 PM
about the Spurs? :depressed

Lebowski Brickowski
07-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Oh I know! -- we haven't actually signed Elson yet!

Mr. Body
07-12-2006, 04:50 PM
They didn't sign Javtokas! It's fantastic!!!

dknights411
07-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Hold on a sec... We still have Duncan, Ginobili and Parker, the best threesome in the league. Bowen's still one of the best defenders in the league. Barry, Horry, and Finley (6th man of the year. BOOK IT!) are coming off the bench. This is a team that can easily win 55+ games even if we DO go small ball. So why are we fucked again?

Yeah, the offseason sucks, but it doesn't matter anyway. The team is still dangerous as is.

Bruno
07-12-2006, 04:56 PM
:lol @ people pressing the panic button.

The offseason has just started.
Vaughn/Udrih as backup PG is quite good.
Butler has some upside and is a good project (he is only 21 years old).
Elson can be a good end of the bench big (I just hope that he don't cost more than $2M/year)

If Spurs don't do another move, it will be a bad offseason.
But, the offseason isn't finished. Spurs can still do some trade.

Extra Stout
07-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Wanna put money on that?

The Spurs were one dumb foul away from IMO winning their 4th title.

:lol Some people.
The Spurs are positioned to take a big step backward next year.

As Robert Horry ages, he has to play less and less in order to maintain enough in the tank to be "Big Shot Rob" in the playoffs. The supporting big men to keep him fresh are getting worse and worse. The steepness of player decline accelerates past age 35.

Bruce Bowen also is getting creaky. For an elite defensive player that depends upon lateral quickness like him, when it goes, it goes fast. Ask Gary Payton.

Brent Barry also is getting up there in age where he's going to degenerate from having an all-around game (to whatever degree he has it) to just being a spot-up shooter.

Finley probably can give another year or two at the level he played this past year, but he's not getting any younger either.

With all these old guys, injuries also become a major factor.

And to buttress this aging supporting cast, the Spurs have acquired Matt Bonner and are looking at the kind of big man scrubs who used to be IR fodder for this team.

I've seen this movie before. It was called "David Robinson's Prime."

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-12-2006, 05:01 PM
I've seen this movie before. It was called "David Robinson's Prime."

David would have won some titles prior to '99 if he'd of had Manu and Tony as his starting guards.

degenerate_gambler
07-12-2006, 05:02 PM
Worst off season yet??

Hardly..

Worst would be Cotton Fitzsimmons trading Ice for David Greenwood.

2Cleva
07-12-2006, 05:37 PM
The Spurs are looking at paying a small amount towards the lux tax ($889,895). That's whats hampering them from making any big moves.

Kori Ellis
07-12-2006, 05:39 PM
I don't get why Spurs fans are flipping out.

The Spurs got rid of Rasho and Nazr (something that 80% of fans here wanted).

They are taking a stab at getting a good young center in Butler.

They picked up Vaughn as a vet for the minimum.

The only thing I question is looking at Elson over some of the unrestricted scrubs. But hey ... maybe they see something in him that I don't see.

I just don't get why Spurs fans are losing it. How do you guys know that Javtokas in the NBA would be better than Butler??

violentkitten
the worst offseason in the drob/td era was 1992. worst ever? maybe letting ice end his career as a chicago bull.

timvp
How could the Spurs potential signing of Butler be a bad thing? Yeah, Elson sucks but getting Butler would be damn nice.

Vaughn is as good as you are going to get for a minimum contract.

CharlieMac
07-12-2006, 05:42 PM
How could the Spurs potential signing of Butler be a bad thing? Yeah, Elson sucks but getting Butler would be damn nice.

Vaughn is as good as you are going to get for a minimum contract.

No kidding. Vaughn is replacing NVE. What did Spurs fans expect? I like the potential Butler pick-up. That's a 21 year old kid with a bright future alright.

CubanMustGo
07-12-2006, 05:49 PM
I don't get why Spurs fans are flipping out.

The Spurs got rid of Rasho and Nazr (something that 80% of fans here wanted).

They are taking a stab at getting a good young center in Butler.

They picked up Vaughn as a vet for the minimum.

The only thing I question is looking at Elson over some of the unrestricted scrubs. But hey ... maybe they see something in him that I don't see.

I just don't get why Spurs fans are losing it. How do you guys know that Javtokas in the NBA would be better than Butler??

:tu

We won 63 frigging games with 80% Timmy. He is going to be one pissed off motivated healthy rested mutha come next year. That 20% >>>>> Rasho+Nazr.

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 05:52 PM
they're making a run at butler. it's quite plausible that they don't land him. if ny and denver match then what?

CaptainLate
07-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Now the Spurs have no one to play center and Duncan will be forced to play the 5. The only problem with that is the Spurs don't have anyone adequate to play the 4 if Duncan moves over.

"Dear Mailman, do you still want a ring?"

CaptainLate
07-12-2006, 06:06 PM

I say :madrun table all the Elson-Butler talk until one/both actually sign and their respective teams don't match. Then y'all will have save yourself a helluva lot of hot air talking "what if's", etc.

ChumpDumper
07-12-2006, 06:09 PM
:lol what is the offseason if not a series of what ifs?

spurschick
07-12-2006, 06:41 PM
I stand by my sig.

Extra Stout
07-12-2006, 06:46 PM
I stand by my sig.
Well, your sig is correct... if "it" means "the luxury tax dispersement."

cherylsteele
07-12-2006, 06:51 PM
The worst offseason yet?

Too early to tell.
I nominate the summer of 1985 when we wasted our 14th pick on Alfredrick Hughes....I remember he was supposed to fill Gervin's shoes....he wasn't good enough to spit on them.

We could have drafted:
Joe Dumars
AC Green
Terry Porter

ChumpDumper
07-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Put it this way: if the Spurs get both of these signings, we're a Hedo-for-Barry trade away from being an extrememly versatile team.

The worst was letting Strickland walk for nothing. We wandered in the desert for years until we were blessed with the mere competence of AJ.

phxspurfan
07-12-2006, 07:28 PM
at least we didnt do something like this:

Grizzlies Trade Battier for Swift, Rights to Gay
The Memphis Grizzlies acquired Stromile Swift and the draft rights to Rudy Gay, the eighth pick in the 2006 NBA Draft, from Houston in exchange for Grizzlies forward Shane Battier, Grizzlies President of Basketball Operations Jerry West announced today.

phxspurfan
07-12-2006, 07:28 PM
(on houstons part)

Mr. Body
07-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Still don't think the Battier for Gay trade was all that horrible.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-12-2006, 08:57 PM
No.

Somethings the best action is no action. We're not overspending for anybody and we're bringing in some role players. We got rid of some excess fat while we were at it. Good enough for me.

You can afford to do that when you have 3 superstars on your team.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Still don't think the Battier for Gay trade was all that horrible.

Same.

Battier will really help Houston. I'm surprised Houston fans are boo'ing the trade, Battier is a coach's dream.

ChumpDumper
07-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Houston should've been able to get a little more out of that trade, but few appreciate just how bad a fit Stomile was in Houston. Getting beat out by Juwan Howard is bad enough -- this guy was losing minutes to an undrafted rookie.

Quadzilla99
07-12-2006, 09:41 PM
We dumped Rasho's salary so that was a positive. Depends on Jackie Butler. If he's Oliver Miller then it's a big fat bust. If he's Udonis Haslem (Haslem was fat in college) then it's a positive.

nobodi_home
07-12-2006, 09:43 PM
spurs_are_cray_cray..... Hey dude, your post shows what an illiterate you really are. Did you graduate from elementary school, or drop out to sell drugs? What a moronic post

SequNets
07-12-2006, 09:44 PM
The Spurs are going to have a big ass hole in the middle.

Defend that.

spurs=bling
07-12-2006, 09:47 PM
"save your money, stop trying, you won't get another championship for a while"

-------david stern.

i'm not listening lalalalala i can't hear you lalalalalala

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Hmmm, I've been defending the front office for a fortnight now but their plan so far has been underwhelming.

Vaughan? Fine. Played well as a backup for Jersey last year. Solid move for the minimum.

Butler? Fantastic if he signs. If he doesn't, we're in deep sheeeit.

Elson? Meh.

So far they are getting a D- from me, C if Butler signs. However...

WHY THE HELL DIDN'T THEY SIGN JAVTOKAS??? I was really looking forward to watching him cause some havoc this year. Young, energetic, mean, A PERFECT FIT! Grrrrrr.

spurs=bling
07-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Hmmm, I've been defending the front office for a fortnight now but their plan so far has been underwhelming.

Vaughan? Fine. Played well as a backup for Jersy last year. Solid move for the minimum.

Butler? Fantastic if he signs. If he doesn't, we're in deep sheeeit.

Elson? Meh.

So far they are getting a D- from me, C if Butler signs. However...

WHY THE HELL DIDN'T THEY SIGN JAVTOKAS??? I was really looking forward to watching him cause some havoc this year. Young, energetic, mean, A PERFECT FIT! Grrrrrr.

you weren't the only one :cry :cry

Mr. Body
07-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Co-signed.

wolf754life
07-13-2006, 12:01 AM
You don't fix a PUNCTURE wound with bandaids! unreal, total shock, today the spurs fell out of the elite teams, mavericks win the southwest for the next 3 years, get used to the 4,5,6 seeds for the remainder of TD and Manu's career!

This team isn't going to win anything significant again, we got 3, nice run. But its all over now!