PDA

View Full Version : Report: Elson = 2 years and $6 million

El_Mago
07-12-2006, 11:51 PM
Anthony is committed to Nuggets

Carmelo Anthony signed a five-year contract extension worth about $79 million with the Nuggets on Wednesday. Anthony can opt out after the fourth year, although he said, "I don’t think I’m planning on using that."STORY TOOLS
Email this story | Print

RELATED STORIES
Nuggets' Buckner headed to Dallas
MORE STORIESBy Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News
July 12, 2006
It was special day. So special that even Stan Kroenke took a seat at the dais.
Kroenke, the Nuggets owner who rarely speaks with the media, was on hand Wednesday as Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony was introduced as the owner of a contract extension.

The deal, worth about $79 million for five years, will begin in 2007-08.

"Carmelo showed the commitment," Kroenke said of his appearance sitting alongside Anthony and director of player personnel Mark Warkentien. "It was special to the team and to the city and the fans that Carmelo said early on, ‘I want to be here.’ So that’s special. It’s a little way of me paying him back."

There was some going back and forth before the first day of the signing period, but, in the end, Anthony got the contract that had been assumed all along.

Anthony can opt out after the fourth year, although he said, "I don’t think I’m planning on using that."

Anthony had looked into a three- year deal, with a fourth-year player option. That’s the way LeBron James of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Dwyane Wade of the Miami Heat went to possibly make more money in their next deals. But Anthony preferred the security of a longer contract.

"I was thinking about (the shorter deal)," said Anthony, who spoke with James. "I had to operate on it a little bit, but I just decided to take the other route. You never know what might happen. You got to think about the worst thing. ... It was a long day, but we got (the contract) done."

The news conference at the Pepsi Center to introduce Anthony was delayed a half-hour. Agent Calvin Andrews said language regarding insurance provisions, put in to protect Anthony’s family in event of his death, was tweaked.

While Anthony’s signing was good news for the Nuggets, other events weren’t. Guard Greg Buckner agreed to sign with the Dallas Mavericks and center Francisco Elson was said to have signed an offer sheet from the San Antonio Spurs that the Nuggets are expected to receive today and would have seven days to match.

Buckner’s deal starts at $3.2 million and will be worth $10.5 million for the first three years and $19 million for five years if he fulfills the life of the contract.

The Mavericks can buy out Buckner after the third year, and he has a player option for the fifth if he plays in the fourth.

"Dallas came up with an offer I thought was good for me and my family to go back to Dallas and enjoy our life and retire from the NBA in Dallas," said Buckner, who played for the Mavericks from 1999- 2002. "(The Nuggets) kind of got behind the eight ball. They spent a lot of money early in the summer. I kind of had the feeling I wasn’t going to be back."

The Nuggets have agreed to a six- year, $60 million contract for forward/center Nene, who will sign next week. Some have said the deal is excessive, but Kroenke said Nene is a "big, strong young guy" that "lots of teams" wanted.

Nuggets coach George Karl said the Mavericks "backed us into a corner" with the offer to Buckner. Karl said the Nuggets are "going to miss" Buckner.

Karl also sounded as if he’ll miss Elson, whose offer sheet is believed to be for about $9 million for three years.

Karl said Elson will be a "person that will have to be replaced, and it will be a difficult replacement." He said the offer sheet is "a dangerous number for us to match."

Warkentien, running basketball operations on an interim basis, would not speculate whether the Nuggets will match. Andrews, who also represents Elson, hopes they don’t.

"He would like to go to San Antonio," Andrews said.

Nene’s signing will give the Nuggets 10 players under contract for about $59 million. Kroenke was asked if he’s willing to pay the luxury tax, which this season will be $65.42 million.

"I think George gave a good answer last week," Kroenke said. "He said he thought that I’d be willing to spend into the luxury tax if he thought that it was the type of team that would get us (to a top level). ... We’ll have to see when we get to that point."

The Nuggets continue to look for a shooting guard. Karl said they will look at several options, ranging from a young player to a veteran.

Agent David Lee believes he has the answer. He said the Nuggets have inquired about his client, free agent Jumaine Jones, a 35 percent career three-point shooter whom he said would "solve their shooting needs."

Whatever the Nuggets do, Anthony figures to be kept in the loop. Negotiations included him getting more of a say in the team’s doings.

Kroenke appears ready to progress for a while with Warkentien as the point man. Karl said last month he expects Warkentien to continue next season in that role, and Kroenke, while not confirming that, didn’t exactly disagree.

"I feel very comfortable (with Warkentien)," Kroenke said. "I think we’ve been moving very well. ... We are happy with Mark. ...

We’re continuing to evaluate how we’re doing it."

----------------------------------------------------------

SAExpress News....is now reporting a 2 year deal worth 6 million.

Solid D
07-12-2006, 11:54 PM
The only thing I could think of as to why the Spurs are high on this guy is...

Chip Engelland was a player dev. coach at Denver and persuaded the Spurs Elson had that kind of value.

MI21
07-12-2006, 11:55 PM
How gay.

wolf754life
07-12-2006, 11:56 PM
This is all a sick joke, 3 million for 3 years?

3 years is way too long, at the allstar break we will want him gone!

The futures so dark, i gotta wear one of those mining hats with the flashlights!

Buddy Holly
07-12-2006, 11:56 PM
Maybe they knew the 3/7 deal wouldn't be matched by New York.

Buddy Holly
07-12-2006, 11:57 PM
The futures so dark, i gotta wear one of those mining hats with the flashlights!

Dan, are all these quitters newbies?

They'll all SpursReport posters or something or related to TPark.

furry_spurry
07-12-2006, 11:57 PM
The only thing I could think of as to why the Spurs are high on this guy is...

Chip Engelland was a player dev. coach at Denver and persuaded the Spurs Elson had that kind of value.

Pop has ties to Bzdelik. Maybe he liked Elson.

Rynospursfan
07-12-2006, 11:58 PM
Ouch that is a little high, I guess that would make Butlers contract about 2.5 million a year.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_4840665,00.html

furry_spurry
07-13-2006, 12:00 AM
The one thing I don't get- this guy averaged 0.6 blocks per game playing 22 minutes. Spurs need a shot blocking center.

El_Mago
07-13-2006, 12:02 AM
Don't think Elson is worth it, but in the restricted game...you always have to overpay a bit.....

If he arrives to SA, he has my support, and I hope he shows a lot of doubters wrong (including myself) because there sure is a lot of them on this board....

spurs_in_7
07-13-2006, 12:05 AM
Elson = 3 years and $9 million :lmao

the spurs' FO gotta be fucked up!!!

El_Mago
07-13-2006, 12:07 AM
Butler (more of a all around game downlow) nor Elson though....are the elusive long 3 we have coveted for such a long time.....

Vaughn for the vet minimum....

Butler and Elson for the MLE....hopefully one of them heads back to their team....I would prefer Elson leave, but it looks like it will be Butler.....because Dolan has the cash.....

Thus, do we make a run at Woods with the other half of the MLE, because I doubt we land both big men, or do we offer it to Javtokas still....(don't think he has signed the Greece contract)

What about the LLE? Save it for another year.....

Still some work to do....around this time next week...we should have a better feel for next years team....

violentkitten
07-13-2006, 12:09 AM
you need someone to start at the 5 and play about 20 minutes a night, if only to keep the wear and tear down on td. but man, this is some weak shit. holy crap rasho looks like fukkin wilt right about now

Please_dont_ban_me
07-13-2006, 12:09 AM
Lovely.

+TP
+Manu
+Bowen
+Duncan
+Elson

I'm a lot more comfortable with that lineup. Less question marks, you know what you're getting.

Spurs9
07-13-2006, 12:10 AM
Butler (more of a all around game downlow) nor Elson though....are the elusive long 3 we have coveted for such a long time.....

Butler and Elson for the MLE....hopefully one of them heads back to their team....I would prefer Elson leave, but it looks like it will be Butler.....because Dolan has the cash.....

Thus, do we make a run at Woods with the other half of the MLE, because I doubt we land both big men, or do we offer it to Javtokas still....(don't think he has signed the Greece contract)

Still some work to do....around this time next week...we should have a better feel for next years team....
I read on these boards that Javtokas signed the greece contract right after he heard the spurs were going after the 2 players...Why didn't the spurs just go after Javtokas???

violentkitten
07-13-2006, 12:10 AM

if neither the knicks nor nuggets match then the spurs will be bumping up against the evil lux tax threshold. so no more free agents. maybe they can find a trade or two

NCaliSpurs
07-13-2006, 12:11 AM
Anyone see Denver vs. Dallas games? I didn't, but that could have something do with it. Hopefully. Doubtful.

violentkitten
07-13-2006, 12:11 AM
Lovely.

+TP
+Manu
+Bowen
+Duncan
+Elson

I'm a lot more comfortable with that lineup. Less question marks, you know what you're getting.

fucked due to francisco elson as your starting center every night.

Buddy Holly
07-13-2006, 12:13 AM
holy crap rasho looks like fukkin wilt right about now

Did you even bother to compare stats?

Between Elson and Rasho.

They're virtually the fucking same.

NuGGeTs-FaN
Elson will give you way more than Rasho and at a much cheaper price.

Please_dont_ban_me
fucked due to francisco elson as your starting center every night.

Because he's so much less than what Nazr/Rasho gave us, right?

We weren't fucked then, we aren't fucked now. In fact I love bringing in Elson because he'll knock a motherfucker on his ass if need be. He will have TD's back, and doesn't need the ball in his hands at all. He'll score off put backs and dunks.

I don't get why people are pissed. Maybe they're just bored, iuno.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-13-2006, 12:14 AM
i thought u guys wanted a physical center? Elson is just that

ducks
07-13-2006, 12:15 AM
Elson will give you way more than Rasho and at a much cheaper price.

good :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

Buddy Holly
07-13-2006, 12:16 AM
We do.

MB is just PMSing because well, that's what the "cool" people do here most of the time.

Being cynical for the sake of being cynical is the new "whuzzup."

ducks
07-13-2006, 12:16 AM
:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

Please_dont_ban_me
07-13-2006, 12:17 AM

I love him. :D

I'm in the extreme minority on this site though.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-13-2006, 12:17 AM
I for one will be watching Frankie very closely if he goes to the Spurs. Ive always wanted to see him get decent minutes and maybe even start regularly. I knew that would never happen with Camby and Nene around.

spurs=bling
07-13-2006, 12:18 AM
bring him over ASAP

Spurs9
07-13-2006, 12:18 AM
Because he's so much less than what Nazr/Rasho gave us, right?

We weren't fucked then, we aren't fucked now. In fact I love bringing in Elson because he'll knock a motherfucker on his ass if need be. He will have TD's back, and doesn't need the ball in his hands at all. He'll score off put backs and dunks.

I don't get why people are pissed. Maybe they're just bored, iuno.
Yeah man, the 2 players the spurs are going after are basically equal to nazr and rasho. I think they will be fine. Do you relize that we almost advanced the finals if 1 of those final shots in game 7 against the mavs went in? We almost pulled that shit off, and NAZR didn't even play. If we would have advanced to the finals we would have won that shit. So I don't know what everyone is bitching about saying that the spurs are done for. We lost Nazr and Rasho and everyone is panicking.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-13-2006, 12:19 AM

:lol

good on you! Many Nuggets fans love Frankie and will be sad to see him go and i can guarantee that we will hate seeing them play the Spurs even more now :lol

He will probably go 20/10 on the Nuggets :fro

Please_dont_ban_me
07-13-2006, 12:21 AM

good on you! Many Nuggets fans love Frankie and will be sad to see him go and i can guarantee that we will hate seeing them play the Spurs even more now :lol

He will probably go 20/10 on the Nuggets :fro

Tell me a little about is offensive game.

I know he has a little free-throw line jumper. But does he have any back to the basket game? Not that he'll need it here...but still. I can't wait to see him knock somebody on there ass. :D

furry_spurry
07-13-2006, 12:21 AM
I can't believe Spurs fans are so desperate for hope that they are happy at the thought of Elson as the starting center. No offense- but the people whose opinions I respect aren't too thrilled about this prospect.

spurs=bling
07-13-2006, 12:22 AM

add me to that list.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-13-2006, 12:23 AM
We'll get back to this at the all star break when he's averaging 7ppg and 12 rbg with a few knockout elbows.

infinite styles
07-13-2006, 12:26 AM
No offense- but the people whose opinions I respect aren't too thrilled about this prospect.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol I'm sorry but I had to laugh at that.

Buddy Holly
07-13-2006, 12:27 AM
No offense- but the people whose opinions I respect aren't too thrilled about this prospect.

No offense. Go by your own you tard.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-13-2006, 12:28 AM
Tell me a little about is offensive game.

I know he has a little free-throw line jumper. But does he have any back to the basket game? Not that he'll need it here...but still. I can't wait to see him knock somebody on there ass. :D

nah he doesn't real have a back to the basket game, he has his nice J which he can hit to about 15 feet (i think, im not sure of the distance lol). He can hit from the baseline nice as well.

He will bang down low for boards. He is a decent to good defender all round and does a good job defending down low.

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/teams/players/bio/?id=842&hubname=nba-nuggets

Suspended by the NBA for one game for his actions on Jan 14 against the Minnesota Timberwolves

^^^ he ran on the court when Nene and Kandiman got into a fight. He will back his team mates in any situation :smokin

Please_dont_ban_me
07-13-2006, 12:30 AM
nah he doesn't real have a back to the basket game, he has his nice J which he can hit to about 15 feet (i think, im not sure of the distance lol). He can hit from the baseline nice as well.

He will bang down low for boards. He is a decent to good defender all round and does a good job defending down low.

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/teams/players/bio/?id=842&hubname=nba-nuggets

^^^ he ran on the court when Nene and Kandiman got into a fight. He will back his team mates in any situation :smokin

I'm very aware how good of a defender he can be. :D

I think maybe I hype him up too much just because of how he did KG. But hey, if he can do that KG I'm sure he can body up with other bigs around the league. Especially when he's a main contributor and not stuck on the bench behind Camby/Nene/Kmart.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-13-2006, 12:30 AM
ask Jermaine O'neal about Frankie :lol .

The All-Star forward was injured March 3 in a game against Denver while attempting a dunk. He had his right arm pulled back by Denver's Francisco Elson with 4:33 to play in the fourth quarter.

he was apologetic about it though

Indianapolis Star: "Denver forward Francisco Elson, the player who fouled Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal when the latter was hurt on March 3, didn't feel good when he heard O'Neal is likely out the rest of the season with a shoulder injury."

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-13-2006, 12:32 AM
I'm very aware how good of a defender he can be. :D

I think maybe I hype him up too much just because of how he did KG. But hey, if he can do that KG I'm sure he can body up with other bigs around the league. Especially when he's a main contributor and not stuck on the bench behind Camby/Nene/Kmart.

:spin Frankie wont back down to anyone. I cant wait to see how he goes when the Nuggets come to town. Having Nene down low will make the inside battle more interesting :smokin

violentkitten
07-13-2006, 01:32 AM
the transformation of francisco elson from holding down the end of denver's bench to superstar center in san antonio has begun.

Mr. Body
07-13-2006, 01:36 AM
This guy is amazing and he probably speaks Dutch.

judaspriestess
07-13-2006, 01:37 AM
just because this guy played a certain way with the nougets does not mean he cannot work well in SA. There is a method to the madness peeps.

Maybe ABC sent a memo out to the small market teams and said don't you even dare :blah

MI21
07-13-2006, 01:46 AM
I can't believe I ever made fun of the Mavs for signing Desagana Diop.

Francisco fucking Elson? What a disgrace.

MI21
07-13-2006, 01:49 AM
Also, these people hyping Elson are more than likely the same people who wouldn't of known what team he played for if asked 6 weeks ago.

Mr. Body
We can only dream of Desagana Diop.

TDMVPDPOY
the only reason i think spurs are high on this guy is probaly he can play all 3 positions c/pf/sf, specially his small frame long length could probaly gaurd tall stiffs like dirk n garnett

Mr. Body
07-13-2006, 01:50 AM
Uh, Elson's not going to play SF.

Please_dont_ban_me
the only reason i think spurs are high on this guy is probaly he can play all 3 positions c/pf/sf, specially his small frame long length could probaly gaurd tall stiffs like dirk n garnett

Elson can play Small Forward? He's no Will Perdue, y0!

MI21
He can not play SF.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-13-2006, 01:51 AM
But seriously, Elson can't play SF. He's not agile enough.

That's unless you're counting guys like Dirk/KG as sf's...then sure.

Mr. Body
07-13-2006, 01:52 AM
Elson would probably rack Dirk or KG as they blew by him for us.

T Park
Im going off of Nugget's fans opinion.

They have a pretty high opinion of him.

Dre_7
add me to that list.

Same here. I have liked him since I saw him play last year. When he got all those minutes toward the end of the year.

I posted earlier yesterday that when he gets 30 or more minutes a game he averages something like 10 and 8. I like him.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-13-2006, 01:54 AM
Guys think he's a 3rd stringer.

But look who he was behind. Kmart, Camby, Nene. That's not a bad cast of guys to be stuck behind...and he STILL managed to stay on the roster and get quality playing time.

T Park
07-13-2006, 01:55 AM
when he gets 30 or more minutes a game he averages something like 10 and 8

He will more than likely get 28 minutes a night

but I would be happy with 8 and 8.

He will prob block more shots due to the "funnel" defense.

Mr. Body
07-13-2006, 01:56 AM
And get more fouls.

Leetonidas
07-13-2006, 01:57 AM
I thought the deal was two years and 6 million?

MI21
07-13-2006, 01:58 AM
Im going off of Nugget's fans opinion.

They have a pretty high opinion of him.

I've seen Nuggets fans try and justify Nene and his 6/60 deal.

Careful agreeing with them.

timvp
07-13-2006, 02:02 AM
I've seen Nuggets fans try and justify Nene and his 6/60 deal.

Careful agreeing with them.

Exactly. Nuggets fans justify the worst contract in the history of sport. I'd be careful using their opinion.

Elson is a freakin' scrub and I can't believe he's offered more than Butler. That third year of the contract better be a team option. Even if it is, I've lost faith in the scouting department of this team.

:td

Please_dont_ban_me
07-13-2006, 02:14 AM

Exactly. Nuggets fans justify the worst contract in the history of sport. I'd be careful using their opinion.

Elson is a freakin' scrub and I can't believe he's offered more than Butler. That third year of the contract better be a team option. Even if it is, I've lost faith in the scouting department of this team.

:td

How can you call Elson a scrub?

I have yet to see a scrub play KG as well as he did. I've yet to see a scrub play as physical as him. I"ve yet to see a scrub hit the short jumpers as well as he has. Do scrubs go after rebounds like he does?

I don't know, man. Maybe they changed the definition of scrub since the last time I checked.

timvp
07-13-2006, 02:15 AM
How can you call Elson a scrub?

I have yet to see a scrub play KG as well as he did. I've yet to see a scrub play as physical as him. I"ve yet to see a scrub hit the short jumpers as well as he has. Do scrubs go after rebounds like he does?

I don't know, man. Maybe they changed the definition of scrub since the last time I checked.

You've never seen him play. Don't act like you have.

And getting punched in the nuts by KG and then calling him gay afterwards is about the gayest thing you can do. There's nothing hard about this guy.

Stop acting like you know.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-13-2006, 02:18 AM
You've never seen him play. Don't act like you have.

And getting punched in the nuts by KG and then calling him gay afterwards is about the gayest thing you can do. There's nothing hard about this guy.

Stop acting like you know.

I have seen him play.

Stop acting like you're god's gift to Spurs basketball knowledge.

He did more than just call KG gay. He's one of the few guys in the league I've seen manhandle KG at times like he did. He has always played other teams bigs well. He's tall, physical, and doesn't back down from anybody.

If the best you can do is "he's a scrub" and "he's gay for calling someone gay" then maybe you should be the random poster on a board...and I can be the guy who writes arcticles. k?

violentkitten
07-13-2006, 02:22 AM
elson will be the reason tim duncan starts at center next season.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-13-2006, 02:25 AM
elson will be the reason tim duncan starts at center next season.

That's a little easier to swallow then paying Rasho 6 mill to sit on the benh.

God forbid it did come down to that...and I doubt it would.

violentkitten
07-13-2006, 02:28 AM
the writing's on the wall. move duncan to the 5 as the 4 spot becomes a little more perimeter oriented and athletic in the nba. swapping rasho and nazr for elson will help facilitate that.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-13-2006, 02:29 AM
the writing's on the wall. move duncan to the 5 as the 4 spot becomes a little more perimeter oriented and athletic in the nba.

If we had a capable 4, that would be an option.

But I don't think starting Horry is anything more than a temporary solution for a few games.

timvp
07-13-2006, 02:30 AM
I have seen him play.

Stop acting like you're god's gift to Spurs basketball knowledge.

Once you prove to have any knowledge, I'll take you more seriously.

He did more than just call KG gay. He's one of the few guys in the league I've seen manhandle KG at times like he did.

:lmao

Manhandle? Do you watch the NBA?

In that playoff series where the "gay" comment took place, the Timberwolves beat the Nuggets four games to one. In that game where Elson says he got hit in the jewels in the first quarter, he responded with two rebounds, one turnover and three fouls in 11 minutes. Garnett had 27 points, 14 rebounds, five assists and two blocks. What the hell did Elson manhandle?

For the series, Garnett averaged 26 points, 15 rebounds, seven assists and two blocks. Elson averaged three points and two rebounds in 15 minutes per game. :lol

Garnett's numbers were the best numbers he had in his career in any playoff series. He dominated Elson hardcore. Elson, as usual, shriveled up and sucked about as much as one could suck in the playoffs.

Well, Elson managed to "top" those numbers this past postseason when he averaged THREE POINTS PER 48 MINUTES AND TOTALED 0 BLOCKS IN A FIVE GAME SERIES. That might be the two worst playoff performances of All-Time by an NBA player who got regular time each game.

Manhandle? Please, buy a got damn clue before you come barking to the big dawgs.

milkyway21
07-13-2006, 02:31 AM
I thought the deal was two years and 6 million?...

Elson received a two-year deal for close to $6million=3/yr :wakeup

polandprzem
07-13-2006, 02:33 AM

:tu

violentkitten
07-13-2006, 02:33 AM
If we had a capable 4, that would be an option.

But I don't think starting Horry is anything more than a temporary solution for a few games.

since the spurs won't have a capable 5 they will have to move td to that spot. then whoever can start at the 4. definitely will be better than elson in the starting lineup.

i'm sure the spurs are rearranging the frontline for financial reasons, but there's also the matter that perhaps td has to be forced to switch to being a full-time center. if they add elson then td is going to be starting at the 5 or you are going to see oberto there as a de facto placeholder so that td can continue to start at the 4. it's semantics, but it does seem to matter to td.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-13-2006, 02:35 AM

:lmao

Manhandle? Do you watch the NBA?

In that playoff series where the "gay" comment took place, the Timberwolves beat the Nuggets four games to one. In that game where Elson says he got hit in the jewels in the first quarter, he responded with two rebounds, one turnover and three fouls in 11 minutes. Garnett had 27 points, 14 rebounds, five assists and two blocks. What the hell did Elson manhandle?

For the series, Garnett averaged 26 points, 15 rebounds, seven assists and two blocks. Elson averaged three points and two rebounds in 15 minutes per game. :lol

Garnett's numbers were the best numbers he had in his career in any playoff series. He dominated Elson hardcore. Elson, as usual, shriveled up and sucked about as much as one could suck in the playoffs.

Well, Elson managed to "top" those numbers this past postseason when he averaged THREE POINTS PER 48 MINUTES AND TOTALED 0 BLOCKS IN A FIVE GAME SERIES. That might be the two worst playoff performances of All-Time by an NBA player who got regular time each game.

Manhandle? Please, buy a got damn clue before you come barking to the big dawgs.

Take me seriously?

That's the goal of my life, LJ...for you to take me seriously. I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong, but it seems like when you're exposed you resort to being a prick about it. Anyways, back to basketball...

If you read what I said, I stated "at times" he manhandled KG. Other then that he made KG work harder, and wasn't on him the whole game...the Nuggets had other bigs who got minutes.

Does Kobe get nice stats on Bowen? Sure. On Raja Bell? Sure. That doesn't mean they don't defend him well. Blaming KG's stats and the Nuggets loss on Elson is just retarded.

But hey, you're entitled to your opinion. I won't resort to calling you names because I disagree with you. Feel free to continue being a prick.

timvp
07-13-2006, 02:38 AM
Take me seriously?

That's the goal of my life, LJ...for you to take me seriously. I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong, but it seems like when you're exposed you resort to being a prick about it. Anyways, back to basketball...

If you read what I said, I stated "at times" he manhandled KG. Other then that he made KG work harder, and wasn't on him the whole game...the Nuggets had other bigs who got minutes.

Does Kobe get nice stats on Bowen? Sure. On Raja Bell? Sure. That doesn't mean they don't defend him well. Blaming KG's stats and the Nuggets loss on Elson is just retarded.

But hey, you're entitled to your opinion. I won't resort to calling you names because I disagree with you. Feel free to continue being a prick.

:cry

Don't cry now because you challenged me and I threw it back in your face. You're the one who started coming at me. I don't even know who you are.

Kori Ellis
07-13-2006, 02:39 AM
So it's either 2years/6M or 3years/9M?

Please_dont_ban_me
07-13-2006, 02:40 AM
:cry

Don't cry now because you challenged me and I threw it back in your face. You're the one who started coming at me. I don't even know who you are.

I'm not crying.

If that helps you sleep better though, feel free to keep thinking that. Along with the "I don't even know who you are" references. I'm not the same guy you've talked to around the forums for about 2 months now...and I'm not the same guy who sat in your house eating your food at a GTG to watch the Spurs game vs the Kings.

You don't know me. And I'm an idiot who doesn't know anything about basketball. :lol

It's sad you have to try to gain credibility with childish insults, but ok.

polandprzem
07-13-2006, 02:41 AM
A little laugh (LJ, PDBM) in one of the most saddest days in spurs fans history

violentkitten
07-13-2006, 02:41 AM
So it's either 2years/6M or 3years/9M?

most likely the 3rd year is a team option.

Kori Ellis
07-13-2006, 02:42 AM

Makes sense.

The E-N article is pretty pitiful. It basically says .. We know these guys suck, but hey, they are cheap. :drunk

timvp
07-13-2006, 02:43 AM
I'm not crying.

If that helps you sleep better though, feel free to keep thinking that. Along with the "I don't even know who you are" references. I'm not the same guy you've talked to around the forums for about 2 months now...and I'm not the same guy who sat in your house eating your food at a GTG to watch the Spurs game vs the Kings.

You don't know me. And I'm an idiot who doesn't know anything about basketball. :lol

It's sad you have to try to gain credibility with childish insults, but ok.

I don't have any problem with you. But don't be on my ass all day and then be surprised when I strike back.

timvp
07-13-2006, 02:43 AM

That better be the case.

That has to be the case.

violentkitten
07-13-2006, 02:44 AM
Makes sense.

The E-N article is pretty pitiful. It basically says .. We know these guys suck, but hey, they are cheap. :drunk

:lol yeah. the spurs have the fanbase wrapped so tight around their finger that they can get away with disclosures like that.

timvp
07-13-2006, 02:45 AM
:lol yeah. the spurs have the fans wrapped so tight that they can get away with disclosures like that.

Yeah, these guys actually do suck but uh come buy season tickets anyways.

Classic.

Kori Ellis
07-13-2006, 02:46 AM
Yeah it's weird that it's worded like that. They should at least try to sell Butler as a young project with potential. And maybe sell Elson as a nice guy or something. To say that Elson has bad hands, etc but is cheap is a weird way to word an article.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-13-2006, 02:48 AM
What are some weaknesses to Elson's game...

His back to the basket game is pretty non-existent apparently. I don't think he's a great passer...other than tha, what are some holes we should be worried about?

violentkitten
07-13-2006, 02:48 AM
Yeah it's weird that it's worded like that. They should at least try to sell Butler as a young project with potential. And maybe sell Elson as a nice guy or something. To say that Elson has bad hands, etc but is cheap is a weird way to word an article.

dont worry, i'm sure once elson's on his way the charm offensive will swing into action

Kori Ellis
07-13-2006, 02:50 AM
What are some weaknesses to Elson's game...

His back to the basket game is pretty non-existent apparently. I don't think he's a great passer...other than tha, what are some holes we should be worried about?

No post up game, very little shotblocking, bad hands.

milkyway21
07-13-2006, 02:51 AM
3rd year?

acc to reports elson ONLY signed a 2-yr contract...

The Spurs divided their $5.2million midlevel exception between the two centers. Butler signed a three-year, $7 million offer sheet, while Elson received a two-year deal for close to $6million

I'm confused :rolleyes

violentkitten

right. nazr, but worse.

Please_dont_ban_me
Holes!? How about say something good about him first.

When we are talking about holes, we are referring to Duncan's FT shooting.

+ Good rebounder
+ Very physical.
+ Good shot blocker.
+ Doesn't back down from anybody.
+ Can hit the little free-throw line jumper.

Ok, now the flaws...

violentkitten
07-13-2006, 02:52 AM
3rd year?

acc to reports elson ONLY signed a 2-yr contract...

The Spurs divided their $5.2million midlevel exception between the two centers. Butler signed a three-year, $7 million offer sheet, while Elson received a two-year deal for close to $6million

I'm confused :rolleyes

look at the title of this thread.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-13-2006, 02:53 AM

He's not a good shot-blocker?

I don't mean stats wise, but as far as being in the right place and altering/blocking shots. I've seen him in limited doses, but it seems like he's tall/atheltic and has lengthy arms...along with his physical mentality you'd think that would produce some decent shot-blocking ability.

Kori Ellis
07-13-2006, 02:53 AM
I don't get why people keep saying Elson is a good shotblocker.

I am just going by his production.
.6 blocks in 20+ mpg isn't a good shotblocker.

Buddy Holly
07-13-2006, 02:55 AM

Wait, an hour ago Manny was telling me stats didn't matter.

timvp
07-13-2006, 02:55 AM
+ Good rebounder
+ Very physical.
+ Good shot blocker.
+ Doesn't back down from anybody.
+ Can hit the little free-throw line jumper.

Ok, now the flaws...

Actually he's a bad rebounder for a center (on the same level with Rasho). He's a poor shotblocker (worse than Rasho and Nazr). He's not that physical and he backs down all the time.

He's also not a good defender and has bad hands. He's slow to the ball. He's slow in rotations.

The only good things about him are he can hit jumpers sometimes and he's kinda fast.

That's it.

Kori Ellis
07-13-2006, 02:56 AM
Wait, an hour ago MB and Manny were telling me stats didn't matter.

I'm not Manny or MB.

I'm just saying I've watched the guy and don't see him altering shots. Then I just looked it up because everyone keeps saying "good shotblocker" and he doesn't produce either.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-13-2006, 02:57 AM
Elson's okay. I really hope his shotblocking numbers go through the roof playing in the patented Spurs system. Anything's possible.

C'mon Dolan, go turncoat cheaparse and let us have Butler. Please. :tu (they don't have a fingers crossed smilie...)

I think a front line with those two bruisers, TD, and then finesse from Horry and Bonner, would be an absolute treat.

Kori Ellis
07-13-2006, 02:58 AM
The one thing that I'll give Elson is that he can run the floor. So if the Spurs are going to run more, he's a better option than Nazr or Rasho. Just don't expect him to catch it on the break.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-13-2006, 02:59 AM

Going off the current trend on this forum...

"That's about 1.5 bpg per 48 minutes, and Tim Duncan averages about 2.4 for his career...so 1.5 can't be too bad, right?"

Please_dont_ban_me
07-13-2006, 03:01 AM
Actually he's a bad rebounder for a center (on the same level with Rasho). He's a poor shotblocker (worse than Rasho and Nazr). He's not that physical and he backs down all the time.

He's also not a good defender and has bad hands. He's slow to the ball. He's slow in rotations.

The only good things about him are he can hit jumpers sometimes and he's kinda fast.

That's it.

I'll give you the bad hands and slow to the ball/rotations.

I guess I'll agree to disagree with you on the rest.

Kori Ellis
07-13-2006, 03:02 AM
Going off the current trend on this forum...

"That's about 1.5 bpg per 48 minutes, and Tim Duncan averages about 2.4 for his career...so 1.5 can't be too bad, right?"

Duncan averages 2.5 for his career in 38 mpg.

polandprzem
07-13-2006, 03:03 AM
I believe in CIA and a trade.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-13-2006, 03:03 AM
Duncan averages 2.5 for his career in 38 mpg.

Make that 2.8 or whatever for 48 minutes played.

If Duncan averages 2.8 then a guy who averages 1.5 can't be too bad no? Duncan's one of the premier defenders in the league supposedly.

polandprzem
07-13-2006, 03:07 AM

If Duncan averages 2.8 then a guy who averages 1.5 can't be too bad no? Duncan's one of the premier defenders in the league supposedly.

Check out the Rashos numbers per 48 Minutes.

:rolleyes

Kori Ellis
07-13-2006, 03:08 AM

No make that 3.2 per 48 for Duncan. But it doesn't matter. As Pop always says, per 48 stats are stupid. There's a reason why certain guys play less minutes, they aren't good enough to play more.

I don't really care about the stats of it -- I just looked it up because I thought maybe I was missing something. I've seen the guy play tons and tons of games and think he doesn't block/alter many shots. Maybe he gets better in the Spurs system but touting him as a good shotblocker is a little odd.

I guess I'm trying to say, if you want to list his good qualities, then I'd think they'd be ...

Decent jumpshooter.
Average rebounder.
Runs the floor well.

milkyway21
07-13-2006, 03:08 AM
look at the title of this thread.story only says believed to be 9 million in 3 yrs. but the actual signing sheet was just 2 yrs and close to 6 million for Elson

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA071306.1C.BKNspurs.vaughn.1585d2f.html

well..... :wakeup

timvp
07-13-2006, 03:09 AM
Robert Horry is a better shot blocker than Francisco Elson.

End of story.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-13-2006, 03:10 AM
No make that 3.2 per 48 for Duncan. But it doesn't matter. As Pop always says, per 48 stats are stupid. There's a reason why certain guys play less minutes, they aren't good enough to play more.

I don't really care about the stats of it -- I just looked it up because I thought maybe I was missing something. I've seen the guy play tons and tons of games and think he doesn't block/alter many shots. Maybe he gets better in the Spurs system but touting him as a good shotblocker is a little odd.

I think part of that is his style of play. He's not the type come to come over on help defense and use his athletic ability to block shots. I think he's more the type to use his body to keep him between the offensive player and the hoop...then bang and hopefully wear them down through the game.

Kind of like what Malik used to do...but a little longer. When you play like that your blocks stats won't be that high. Just my opinion.

violentkitten
07-13-2006, 03:11 AM
Karl also sounded as if he’ll miss Elson, whose offer sheet is believed to be for about $9 million for three years.

Kori Ellis
07-13-2006, 03:11 AM
I think part of that is his style of play. He's not the type come to come over on help defense and use his athletic ability to block shots. I think he's more the type to use his body to keep him between the offensive player and the hoop...then bang and hopefully wear them down through the game.

Kind of like what Malik used to do...but a little longer. When you play like that your blocks stats won't be that high. Just my opinion.

That's fine if you believe that. But then you shouldn't say good shotblocker. You could say he bodies people up defensively or something.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-13-2006, 03:13 AM
That's fine if you believe that. But then you shouldn't say good shotblocker. You could say he bodies people up defensively or something.

You're right, I shouldn't of put good shot blocker on the list.

That was an assumption I don't know to be true but thought would be...and might still be, but don't know for a fact. Yet.

Mr. Body
07-13-2006, 03:13 AM
If we wanted a shot blocker, we would've gone after Javtokas. We don't want a shot blocker.

violentkitten
07-13-2006, 03:14 AM
how about an athletic rebounder who can step out and defend on the floor? that's all we need. we dont need shitty centers.

timvp
07-13-2006, 03:14 AM
If we wanted a shot blocker, we would've gone after Javtokas. We don't want a shot blocker.

What do the Spurs want? Someone who can speak Dutch?

polandprzem
07-13-2006, 03:15 AM

malik was a bench player. Elson will have to be a starter

:pctoss

furry_spurry
07-13-2006, 03:19 AM
That was an assumption I don't know to be true but thought would be...and might still be, but don't know for a fact. Yet.

PDBM- I am trying to figure out why you are going to such great lengths to vehemently defend a player about whom you seem to know so little?

timvp
07-13-2006, 03:20 AM
I edited the title of the thread since it appears that the contract is actually a two-year, $6M deal.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-13-2006, 03:22 AM
PDBM- I am trying to figure out why you are going to such great lengths to vehemently defend a player about whom you seem to know so little?

If you want people to only post about people they know a lot about, this forum would be restricted to about 10 posters.

I do know enough about him to comment. When I don't know much I say so.

milkyway21
07-13-2006, 03:25 AM
If we wanted a shot blocker, we would've gone after Javtokas.. or Theo Ratliff :lol

yeah we don't want a center who can just block shots.

velik_m
07-13-2006, 03:58 AM

he's a troll

Tek_XX
07-13-2006, 04:12 AM
Whats the point of all this? Are we just waiting for Mahinimi? Do the spurs realize we need to get better here? We can't waste precious years of Duncans prime.

Doesn't matter what people say for or against Elson, at the end of the day we have stayed the same or gotten worse depending on how well Elson plays.

Bruno
07-13-2006, 04:48 AM
$6M/2 years isn't a bad deal at all.
$3M/year is slighty more than what I hope but a 2 years deal is a very good thing.
Elson isn't a good player but he is still a serviceable seven footer. A serviceable center who isn't too old and who has some nba experience for $6M/2 years isn't overpaid.

After, if the deal is $9M/3 years, it sucks and if Elson is our starting center, it sucks too.

timvp
07-13-2006, 04:52 AM
$6M/2 years isn't a bad deal at all.
$3M/year is slighty more than what I hope but a 2 years deal is a very good thing.
Elson isn't a good player but he is still a serviceable seven footer. A serviceable center who isn't too old and who has some nba experience for $6M/2 years isn't overpaid.

After, if the deal is $9M/3 years, it sucks and if Elson is our starting center, it sucks too.

Pretty true. I can live with Butler and Elson. If it's only Elson, the Spurs are screwed.

polandprzem
07-13-2006, 04:54 AM
Pretty true. I can live with Butler and Elson. If it's only Elson, the Spurs are screwed.

I would have to live with a screwup knee, so you will have to live with evey center the spurs are gonna get.
:(

Bruno
07-13-2006, 05:05 AM

I still hope that Spurs will get a better big that Butler or Elson via a trade. I don't see Horry, Oberto, Bonner, Elson and Butler as starting players.

polandprzem
07-13-2006, 05:14 AM
I still hope that Spurs will get a better big that Butler or Elson via a trade. I don't see Horry, Oberto, Bonner, Elson and Butler as starting players.

I thought you only wanted a Forward

Bruno
07-13-2006, 05:20 AM
I thought you only wanted a Forward

Yes, I want more a starting PF than a starting C.
If you look more closely, Bonner and Horry are PF. :)
We don't have a bigmam who is good to start with Duncan (either a PF with Duncan starting at C or a C with Duncan starting at PF).

timvp
07-13-2006, 05:31 AM
I think the Butler/Elson/Oberto threesome is good enough to find a starter next to Duncan. It'd probably start off as Elson until Butler is ready to take over at around the All-Star break.

But with NY probably matching, Spurs really need another body in there. Javtokas, though he has good potential, might not be enough.

timvp
07-13-2006, 05:36 AM
I think you are crazy if you think both Butler and Elson will both be on the Spurs next year.

Did you see where I said NY is probably matching. I'm on record as saying there's a 15% chance Butler becomes a Spur.

With the latest articles, I think that's down to 5%.

polandprzem
07-13-2006, 05:40 AM
Yes I know that Bruno.

My concern is that many posters here are sitting at the forum and not going to sleep....

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-13-2006, 06:57 AM
Nuggets most likely wont match, thats all ive heard

spurster
07-13-2006, 08:10 AM
The Spurs don't want the Nuggets to match, so he won't be any good for another week.

strangeweather
07-13-2006, 09:05 AM
Yeah, I know you said they probably will match. However the likelyhood that neither team matches is less that 1% in my opinion.
Did you read the Elson articles? Karl all but said he's our problem now.

The chance that we get both = the chance we get Butler.