PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one...

venitian navigator
07-13-2006, 03:42 AM
...that thinks these offers has been made with wiew on different subjects ?
To me makes a lot more sense to take Q. Woods instead of Butler...but if N.Y. matches, they'll have 15 players under contract and no more reasons (and chences) to sign Q. Woods...and we could jump on him!
To me makes a lot more sense to take R. Evans instead of F. Elson...and making the offer we put Denver in a 7 days time to decide about the two, kno0wing that they caoul lose, however, evans 'cause he is just unrestricted...(like Woods in N.Y. situation).
Are Evans and Woods our real objects...?

Ninja-Defense
07-13-2006, 04:03 AM
Very interesting theory...Given how Woods and Evans would be great pickups (on paper at least) I wouldn't put it past CIA Pop/RC to be counting on such a scenario to play out. The thing is, though, Nuggets probably won't match....But I can see Knicks matching Butler though roster-wise that wouldn't make sense for them.

Ninja-Defense
07-13-2006, 04:17 AM
BTW, judging by all the other action on this forum right now, and the lack thereof on this thread, I'd say you were the only one! Seriously, I think there's something to your line of thinking. Here's hoping Spurs end up the better for it!

timvp
07-13-2006, 04:21 AM
Evans and Woods are unrestricted free agents. No need to play games.

Ninja-Defense
07-13-2006, 04:23 AM

So you think we'd have a chance of getting either guy if both Nugs and Knicks match?

timvp
07-13-2006, 04:28 AM
So you think we'd have a chance of getting either guy if both Nugs and Knicks match?

If the Spurs wanted them. Woods probably wouldn't cost much more than the LLE.

venitian navigator
07-13-2006, 06:17 AM
If the Spurs wanted them. Woods probably wouldn't cost much more than the LLE.

I think that the fact you're pulling teams on signing players in a hurry (7 days) put them in difficult situation with other unsigned players...no difference if they're restricted or non restricted !
The point is you have to make a choice and that choice, in some way, is gonna full o not your roster and your expendable money!
Lookat the situastions, in case Butler and Elson are matched :
N.Y., with fifteen players under contract, has no more reason to add other - supposedly not that important - players at a high (for them, considerin luxury tax addition) price...S.A. can extend the some offer to Woods and N.Y. is already in a situation of too many players for league rules and they are already forced to cut one (two if they think to spend their MLE, as always, fopr someone else).
Quite the some situation in Denver, once they're with at least four players that you have to pay big money to (martin, nene, camby, ....elson)and that you're supposed to give minutes.
There will be no more reason to put big money in another big...you're not giving time to play.
It's a Chess game...maybe, in that perspective, the Spurs have made the right move.
If they consider, however, Butler and Elson worth to be signed, their imagine is that of a win win situation...so, in any case, the move is supposed to be right...!

T_MONEY_TX
07-13-2006, 08:42 AM
The Spurs were going afte Woods when Portland cut him after some off court troubles. I belive thats when he ended up with the Heat then they traded him to Ny.

Mr. Peabody
07-13-2006, 08:51 AM
...that thinks these offers has been made with wiew on different subjects ?
To me makes a lot more sense to take Q. Woods instead of Butler...but if N.Y. matches, they'll have 15 players under contract and no more reasons (and chences) to sign Q. Woods...and we could jump on him!
To me makes a lot more sense to take R. Evans instead of F. Elson...and making the offer we put Denver in a 7 days time to decide about the two, kno0wing that they caoul lose, however, evans 'cause he is just unrestricted...(like Woods in N.Y. situation).
Are Evans and Woods our real objects...?

No

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45999

angel_luv
07-13-2006, 10:56 AM
...that thinks these offers has been made with view on different subjects ?

I had the same question in mind yesterday:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45983&page=6&pp=26

Are the Spurs looking to bring both these guys in to keep or might they be looking to eventually package them off for someone else?

Gino20
07-13-2006, 11:18 AM
Hey everyone! Ok, at first, I was not thrilled about Butler, Elson, and Vaughn. However, after some thought I realized that these moves can actually turn out to be good. Lets look at some stats from the 2005-2006 regular season:

Butler: PPG: 5.3, RPG: 3.3, APG: 0.5, BPG: 0.56, TOPG: 1.1, MPG: 13.5
Elson: PPG: 4.9, RPG: 4.7, APG: 0.7, BPG: 0.63, TOPG: 0.9, MPG: 21.9

Nazr: PPG: 6.2, RPG: 5.2, APG: 0.5, BPG: 0.61, TOPG: 1.1, MPG: 17.4
Rasho: PPG: 4.5, RPG: 3.9, APG: 0.4, BPG: 1.10, TOPG: 0.7, MPG: 18.9

Butler+Elson: PPG: 10.2, RPG: 8, APG: 1.2, BPG: 1.19, TOPG: 2, MPG: 35.4

Nazr+Rasho: PPG: 10.7, RPG: 9.1, APG: 0.9, BPG: 1.71, TOPG: 1.8, MPG: 36.3

These stats are almost identical!!! When you really think about it, we did not get much better, but we did not worse. We stayed about the same. I guess you can call it a win since we got these guys at a much less price. Butler may not be the greatest defender, but he is a young guy and was given alot of praise by Larry Brown. That has to be worth something. His game is similar to Nazr's in my opinion. Elson may be a lil old, but he can run the floor better than Butler, Nazr, and Rasho. That was something we were missing against Dallas! Not to mention the guy does not miss around. He called out KG! Rash nor Nazr were a bit soft when it came to that. As for Vaughn, not great on the offensive end, but a good defender. This signing should help fire Beno up. Not bad for a third string pg. I still think we need an athletic 3, that can guard a 4. People, please calm down! The season has not even started yet and most people are calling it a lost season. To be honest, I think the Spurs will make a trade during the season. Pop and RC have something up their sleeves. This is all assuming we are able to get Elson and Butler. They maybe trade bait. Let me know what you think.

Spurs will be back!!!! :fro

SenorSpur
07-13-2006, 11:29 AM

Now, the Spurs are hamstrung for a week and cannot make anymore offers until they find out the outcome of these pending offers to Elson and Butler. Meanwhile, some team could conceivably come in and snap up Woods.

Gino20
07-13-2006, 11:29 AM
Oh yeah, Van Exel was not great in his last season either. Horrible on both ends of the court. Vaughn at least brings it on the defensive end. :elephant