PDA

View Full Version : Collins stays wth Jazz

tempest186
07-13-2006, 12:39 PM
Collins to complete trifecta for Jazz
Center agrees to deal: Jazz also finalize trade for Fisher, and get Harpring's signature on 4-year-pact
By Steve Luhm
The Salt Lake Tribune

Jarron Collins

Matt Harpring? Check.
Derek Fisher? Check
Jarron Collins? Check.
On Wednesday, when the Jazz announced they had re-signed of Harpring and finalized a trade with Golden State that will bring Fisher to Utah, The Salt Lake Tribune also learned that the team will re-sign Collins - possibly as soon as today.
On the first day NBA rules allowed signings and trades to be announced, the Jazz couldn't have done more to shorten their offseason to-do list.
The signing of Harpring, the addition of Fisher and the imminent signing of Collins go a long way toward solidifying Utah's roster for next season.
The Jazz did not announce Collins' return, but it will become official in the next day or two, a source said.
A veteran center who was an unrestricted free agent, Collins averaged 5.3 points and 4.2 rebounds
last season. Along with Rafael Araujo, he gives the Jazz experienced depth in their big-man rotation behind Mehmet Okur, Carlos Boozer and versatile Andrei Kirilenko.
"We definitely want him back and we're encouraged by the state of negotiations," Jazz owner Larry Miller said. "Jarron is very consistent, very steady.

Matt Harpring said Wednesday was a special day after signing a four-year deal to stay with Utah. (Paul Fraughton/The Salt Lake Tribune )

You know what you're going to get from him."
Said coach Jerry Sloan: "He gives us stability. He's an executioner on offense - he knows what his assignment is - and he gives you all the effort in the world on defense. He won't quit."
Terms of Collins' new contract aren't known. He earned $1.7 million last season.
At a news conference called to announce the Jazz's other two personnel moves, Harpring called his return to Utah "a dream come true."
Lured by a four-year, $25 million contract and the belief that the Jazz can become a playoff team, Harpring said, "I would have signed back if I didn't think we could win here. . . . At this stage of my career, it's all about winning."
Despite undergoing two knee surgeries in the past 2 1/2 years, Harpring missed only 13 games over the past two seasons. Last year, he averaged 12.5 points and 5.2 rebounds in 27.4 minutes.
"One thing we said when we had our exit meetings was our first priority was re-signing Matt Harpring," vice president of basketball operations Kevin O'Connor said. "He brings a lot of qualities we look for with the Utah Jazz. . . . He's a warrior."
Sloan agreed: "If anybody has fought through tough times, it's Matt. . . . He gives us the opportunity to have a player that the other players look up to."
According to Harpring, his ability to overcome his knee injuries "is what makes this day special. I know the hours it took - the work it took."
Faced with unrestricted free agency for the first time in his career, Harpring listened to serious offers from "eight to 12" teams, agent Richard Howell said.
"Some teams out there did have interest and there were a couple of decisions that had to be made," Harpring said. "But I'll leave it at that."
Harpring was encouraged by the Jazz's 9-4 finish last season, although Utah still missed the playoffs for the third straight year.
"I like how we finished," he said. "We have some pieces in place here. . . . If we live up to our potential, scary things can happen."
Harpring likes the idea of playing alongside Fisher, a 10-year-veteran who provides just what the Jazz think their young backcourt needs.
"He's going to be a great addition," Harpring said. "Deron [Williams] has

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a lot of great talent, but he can learn from Derek Fisher. The guy has been through a lot of wars."
Like Harpring, Fisher is considered a solid citizen, locker room leader and good teammate.
"All the research we did on him," O'Connor said, "and he gets rave reviews everywhere."
Said Miller: "Character is important to this team and Derek fills the bill superbly."
The Jazz owner also recalls many nights when Fisher - first with the Los Angeles Lakers and then with the Warriors - tormented the Jazz.
"I like the fact he's not going to be shooting against us any more," Miller said.
Fisher will come to Utah for his physical sometime in the next 10 days, which is stipulated by league rules.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Collins>Elson
Collins>Butler

Eric Dampier
07-13-2006, 12:42 PM
i've been on the opposite end of a couple of his dunks. not fun

strangeweather
07-13-2006, 12:44 PM
Collins>Butler

Butler's upside >>>>> Collins's upside

awmyplace
07-13-2006, 12:44 PM

:lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2006, 12:47 PM
:lol Dude that's what you say all the time! If we talk about Muggsy Bogues you'll say you got dunked on by him too. :lol Just put it as your sig.