PDA

View Full Version : Have the Suns or the Spurs had the worst offseason?

Amarelooms
07-13-2006, 06:49 PM
Discuss...leaning towards the Suns...they traded their draft picks, lost KT, just lost Salmons, might not get House back.

texlawman
07-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Suns IMO. I also hear that Amare is not 100%. I will give the Spurs the honorable mention though for doing a whole lot of nothing.

Nashfan
07-13-2006, 06:56 PM
We did not lose Kurt Thomas, where are you getting your information? :rolleyes Do you mean Tim Thomas? He wanted too much money and is a known underachiever. Big deal about John Salmons, I wasn't too excited about giving him twenty-two million over five years since he has not done much in his five years in the league. Signing Pike is not actually exciting either. :depressed We need a back up point guard for Nash and another big man. Other than that we are set for next year. :spin

strangeweather
07-13-2006, 06:56 PM
As weak as our offseason has been, the Suns have really got something special going on.

Maybe Colangelo was more important than Sarver realized?

atxrocker
07-13-2006, 06:57 PM
Suns IMO. I also hear that Amare is not 100%.

I hear the guy is averaging 20 pts on near 60% shooting. Sure reports indicate that his explosiveness at the basket isn't quite there yet, but give the guy time. To expect him to be in top shape before training camp is an unreal expectation.

Amarelooms
07-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Yes sorry TT....not that it really makes a diff...imagine KT is better at D but will slow the Suns down and provide little scoring

Nashfan
07-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Oh, also we did not lose our draft picks we sold them. Our coach did not like anyone at the spot's we would pick. I do question his decision not to pick Marcus Williams as a backup to Nash but he must have his reasons. :rolleyes

Texlawman, did your really expect Amare to be 100% this early after the surgeries? :rolleyes He is running well and is not having any pain or swelling which is good news. Give him time. He is learning other skills right now and is taking it easy in the summer leagues just to get back into shape for the regular season. Also, not to direct this to you totally, but do you really think signing Greg Buckner is the most exciting thing in the world? :lol You lost out on Mike James, though I don't really consider him that much of a loss considering that he is a ball hog and your team has enough of those already. :smokin

strangeweather
07-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Oh, also we did not lose our draft picks we sold them. Our coach did not like anyone at the spot's we would pick. I do question his decision not to pick Marcus Williams as a backup to Nash but he must have his reasons. :rolleyes
If you don't like the available players, trade the pick for future picks, or the draft rights to some unlikely Euro, or... something. Selling them for cash is just an embarrassment.

Obstructed_View
07-13-2006, 07:11 PM
I'm not sure that either team has had the "worst" offseason. The Spurs have gotten rid of the last vestiges of the two worst contracts in recent memory, and they have another available to trade. Since we are one day into the actual free agent period, obviously the draft is the factor. If that's the case, the Spurs have had bad offseasons for most of the last 20 years.

Nashfan
07-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Strangeweather,

Not to insult you, but it will come out like one, your team is not getting any younger and we are still a very young team. I think we have a lot to look forward to this next season with Amare coming back.

Amarelooms,

Kurt Thomas is older but he did not slow us down last year and Amare wanted him last year and has not had a chance to play with him yet. He can shoot the fifteen footer and open it up for Amare. I am not sure if we are keeping him or not but he does not slow us down. He actually makes us a much better defensive team than we have had in like forever. He pulls rebounds down and starts the fastbreak for us a lot of the time. All in all I don't really think we have to drastically change our team, just a few tweaks is all. Basically a backup point guard so Nash doesn't wear down and pray for health since that is what basically did us in.

Nashfan
07-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Strangeweather,

We did sell one of them for a first round pick in next years draft. Guess you did not know this huh?

Lp26
07-13-2006, 07:52 PM
I don't think either one had that bad of an off-season.

Next year, the Suns will get Amare back, Thomas back, and have players who will probably break-out even more next season.

And the Spurs still have their big 3, and they still have time to try to work out a trade to fill some of their needs so i reserve my judgement for now.

The Pistons on the otherhand . . . :depressed

jman3000
07-13-2006, 08:04 PM
The Pistons on the otherhand . . . :depressed
game, set, and match.

BillsCarnage
07-13-2006, 08:11 PM
It's a draw now and there's still plenty of offseason left.

Right now none of the top teams have really done anything that i'd call an improvement. If the season started today I'd say Dallas and the Suns were the top two in the west w/ the Spurs a notch below. Mainly because of lack of solid center.

The Suns main need is a backup PG and they'll get one even if it means bringing House back.

Oh, and for the comment of KT slowing the Suns down and being of little help.. KT was not brought here to be Shaq or Yao. He was meant to be a body in the paint against those players so Amare could go to work on their PF.

Don't forget that the Suns were coming of an 11gm win streak when KT's injury came up and then they signed TT. When KT was playing the Suns were one of the best teams both defensively and record wise.

The Suns fortunes are deposited in Bank of Amare.

Rip-Hamilton32
07-13-2006, 08:37 PM
lol..you think with a healthy kurt tomas you would have advanced to the finals? i doubt it

strangeweather
07-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Strangeweather,

Not to insult you, but it will come out like one, your team is not getting any younger and we are still a very young team. I think we have a lot to look forward to this next season with Amare coming back.
Your team isn't toast or anything -- you have a lot of potential there. You will be one of the top 3 seeds in the west next year barring catastrophe. If you can segue effectively when Nash drops off, you will be a contender for years to come. I would be optimistic as well if I were a Suns fan.

But if this offseason has made your team better, I can't see how.

And, yeah, you only sold one pick outright for cash. That's good? If it were my team, I would be pissed.

Nashfan
07-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Strangeweather,

We sold our later pick for three million in cash and our higher pick we packaged Brian Grant's contract to Boston and picked up a 2007 first round pick from Boston. Though I think it is Cleveland's pick that we are getting next year. Not that pissed, though I was at the time. In reality it was a weak draft.

Rip-Hamilton32,

I think we would have advanced to the finals if Raja Bell had not gone down. He was a great loss as it messed up our spacing on the court. I also think Kurt Thomas would have helped us advance, but the best player we missed was Amare. Since Dallas could not handle Amare the year before, if he would have been healthy they would not have had a chance against us. I think our team did a lot with all the injuries we suffered which I think shows how much heart our players had. Diaw is only going to get better and if we get just a few players (one to back up Nash and either a big or another shooting guard) we will do just fine. Of course this all hinges on Amare coming back at least 90% healthy. Though I don't exactly think we are a pushover without him either.

BillsCarnage
07-13-2006, 09:11 PM
lol..you think with a healthy kurt tomas you would have advanced to the finals? i doubt it

C'mon be real.. Take the brothers Wallace off of Det and how far do they advance?

Take Duncan and Rasho/Nazr off the Spurs.. How far do they advance?

Take Dirk and their center and how far does Dallas advance??

That's essentially what the Suns lacked without Amare and KT yet made it w/in 2games of the finals.

BillsCarnage
07-13-2006, 09:12 PM
And, yeah, you only sold one pick outright for cash. That's good? If it were my team, I would be pissed.

The cash was used to jettison Grantpa who was nothing more than dead weight anyway. I'm fine with giving up a draft pick from a weak draft for that.

texlawman
07-13-2006, 09:40 PM
I understand trading a pick for next years draft, but I would not have sold a first round pick for cash or the assumption of Grant's remaining contract which was only about 1.5 million if I recall. By my count you lost Thomas and added Eric P. That's a little bit of a downgrade. I also think House might be done. Suns still have very little depth after starting five, we'll have to see how Amare and Kurt T. gel back with the team next year. I think the Suns will be good, but I don't think the offseason improved the team. Amare and Kurt were always going to be coming back but with two first round picks and the MLE I think you have to say the rest of the offseason for the Suns has been disappointing.

Understand that in no way do I think that Buckner or Croshere are fantastic signings. Strictly role players, but with Ager I do think we added three rotational players that will play minutes. I can't say that about the Suns or the Spurs yet.

Quadzilla99
07-13-2006, 10:45 PM
The Suns. However the Knicks are probably going to match on Butler, so if the Spurs can actually get worse center play than they did last year that's quite an amazing accompishment. The Suns though just completely gave away their first round picks and lost Tim Thomas.

Obstructed_View
07-13-2006, 11:56 PM
Guys, PLEASE don't predict gloom and doom for the Suns, because they might manage to be good, and the term "three time MVP Steve Nash" makes me want to vomit.

awmyplace
07-14-2006, 12:17 AM
How did see I how Steve Nash was this year's mvp again?

Shank
07-14-2006, 12:21 AM
How did see I how Steve Nash was this year's mvp again?

/end thread. Brain exploded.

TDMVPDPOY
07-14-2006, 12:21 AM
we are in a better position to look legitimate to tank season then them

seriously, the amare situation is a concern to them atm.

awmyplace
07-14-2006, 12:23 AM
/end thread. Brain exploded.

:rolleyes :lol

Shank
07-14-2006, 12:24 AM
I'm reading conflicting reports on Amare's progress. Once source says he's gotten quite a bit of his step back while others are saying he's lacking the explosiveness and doesn't look 100%. So, for anyone that's a Suns fan and has been keeping up with this - what's the word?