PDA

View Full Version : Artest: Where was my Olympic invite?

LiLMissSPURFECT
08-24-2004, 02:36 PM
msn.foxsports.com/story/2689268 (http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2689268)

FOXSports.com
Posted: 15 minutes ago

As if there wasn't enough criticism heading Team USA's way these days, Pacers forward Ron Artest has decided to pile on.

Photo galleries
Monday's best from Athens

NBA stars on foreign teams

Artest's critique of the underachieving Americans? He wasn't asked to join them in the Athens.

"I was the Defensive Player of the Year and didn't get an invite," Artest said while speaking Monday at the Park Avenue Country Club in Manhattan, where he was promoting the 12th annual All-Star Classic to benefit Wheelchair Charities. "It's frustrating not to have gotten a phone call."

Given the United States' defensive liabilities so far at the Olympics, where the Americans have lost twice before the medal round, Artest's abilities at that end of the court certainly might have come in handy.

And it's not as if Kevin Garnett, Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant or Jason Kidd bumped Artest from the squad. All four of those superstars turned down invites from USA Basketball, opening the door for a trio of players — LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade — who just completed their rookie seasons in the NBA and one who's yet to play a single game as a professional (Emeka Okafor) to make the team ahead of the Pacers All-Star.

"I was one of the guys who wanted to be there," Artest said. "Look, so many guys turned it down. After all the top guys, there's room for me.

"I don't know what it was. All I know is it's something that only comes around every four years and I would have liked to have been part of it. I'd have been the water boy or the manager or whatever. I wanted to go."

LiLMissSPURFECT
08-24-2004, 02:41 PM
yeah now he says it. besides coach Carlisle didn't have time to get "the tapes" to the olympic committee on time....

SAmikeyp
08-24-2004, 04:46 PM
Pooh is at home yelling at his screen...."that's what I want to know..."

for once..I agree.

Walton Buys Off Me
08-24-2004, 05:54 PM
I think the role of overrated bitch that acts tough was already filled by Carmelo Anthony Ron.

Better luck next time.

ducks
08-24-2004, 05:58 PM
I think he or bowen should be on the team
:tyson

Pooh
08-24-2004, 06:37 PM
Actually Mikey I could care less who is on the team or not. I've found myself rooting for the teams who play against the alleged "Dream Team".

Artest would be pretty good on the Olympic team and maybe they would play a different style, who knows? Right now I'm not in basketball mode...it's football season.

SAmikeyp
08-24-2004, 06:41 PM
see what I get for trying to agree with Pooh? :spin

although its a little disappointing to hear you are rooting against your own country.

Pooh
08-24-2004, 06:45 PM
You don't have to agree all the time...just when necessary. :)

SAmikeyp
08-24-2004, 06:46 PM
guess I still haven't found that time. :spin

Pooh
08-24-2004, 06:48 PM
No rush...we do however share the same passion for the Cowboys, so we'll agree on that.

ChumpDumper
08-24-2004, 10:13 PM
Artest, Bowen, Christie....

Any one of these guys would not let Jaskewhatshisnuts stay wide open an entire game.

For all the selection committee's protestations, you know there will be a stopper and a shooter on national teams from now on.

Word booty.