PDA

View Full Version : "Small" chance Mahinmi makes Spurs team this season

Kori Ellis
07-13-2006, 11:08 PM
Spurs have big interest in summer

Web Posted: 07/13/2006 11:00 PM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA071406.1D.BKNspurs.summer.13eb3e2.html

Still waiting to learn whether their roster will expand to include a center or two, the Spurs will spend the next week monitoring the progress of another big man who also could squeeze into one of their uniforms.

Ian Mahinmi, the Spurs' 6-foot-10 first-round draft pick last year, will make his summer-league debut this afternoon at the Rocky Mountain Revue in Salt Lake City.

An athletic French forward who won't turn 20 until November, Mahinmi impressed Spurs coaches this week in practice. He is scheduled to play in France next season, and Spurs officials said there is only a "small" chance they would consider signing him this summer.

In the meantime, the Spurs have signed Denver's Francisco Elson and New York's Jackie Butler to offer sheets. They likely won't know whether they'll get either player until the middle of next week.

Knicks officials initially signaled they probably would match Butler's offer but since have said only that they haven't made a decision. Nuggets coach George Karl has spoken about finding a replacement for Elson, but Denver, like New York, is expected to take the full seven days to decide.

The free-agent market for centers further thinned Thursday when Jarron Collins — another possible target of the Spurs — re-signed with Utah.

If Elson and Butler both join the Spurs, the team would have 14 players with guaranteed contracts, one shy of the league maximum. The Spurs signed veteran point guard Jacque Vaughn on Wednesday but don't have a youthful reserve at the wing positions.

Guard Melvin Sanders, who played for the Spurs last season, and former Atlanta swingman Donta Smith will join Mahinmi on the Spurs' entry in the Rocky Mountain Revue, which runs until July 21.

timvp
07-13-2006, 11:09 PM
:elephant

Finally some decent news.

Though this is probably more out of desperation than anything.

ducks
07-13-2006, 11:10 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

angel_luv
07-13-2006, 11:11 PM
You guys are glad there is only a small chance Mahinmi will be signed?

timvp
07-13-2006, 11:14 PM

There was no chance as of yesterday. At least there is hope.

Obstructed_View
07-13-2006, 11:14 PM
The "small" chance is that Mahinmi shrinks 4-6 inches in the next three months.

spurs=bling
07-13-2006, 11:15 PM
http://www.robhalford.com/quorum/images/smilies/praying.gif

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2006, 11:17 PM
At least it's a chance.

Mr. Body
07-13-2006, 11:17 PM
They must realize the boards are in near revolt and decided to toss a small tissue soaked in perfume.

Start building the stockades, say I.

angel_luv
07-13-2006, 11:18 PM
There was no chance as of yesterday. At least there is hope.

Gotcha. That makes sense.

Believe. :)

ducks
07-13-2006, 11:22 PM
if spurs are going to even think about signing him to
There has to be a trade brewing
unless holt wants to pay more tax this year

NorCal510
07-13-2006, 11:23 PM
its that hes impressing the spurs coaches
ian is a pimp

JUUOT
if by any chance ian would join the spur this summer i would have to apologyze to doc jerome...

stay tuned

timvp
With Butler being matched (most likely), the Spurs' best hope for a center is Ian Mahinmi. Hopefully he can play well enough in summer league to make the team this year.

NorCal510
07-13-2006, 11:24 PM
With Butler being matched (most likely), the Spurs' best hope for a center is Ian Mahinmi. Hopefully he can play well enough in summer league to make the team this year.
you actually think he will do any good?

timvp
07-13-2006, 11:26 PM
Perhaps the Spurs' backup plan to Butler is to bring in Mahinmi. If he's worth anything, he's better than any big you can get on the market for like $2M or whatever the Spurs would have left.

timvp
07-13-2006, 11:26 PM
you actually think he will do any good?

Not really. It's a huge jump from where he was playing to summer league. Especially for such a young player.

Hopefully he surprises.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-13-2006, 11:27 PM
timvp give us the official scouting report on young ian

Obstructed_View
07-13-2006, 11:28 PM
I guess the "no seven footer" plan is in full effect.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-13-2006, 11:29 PM
We all know Ian can dunk and has hops, and in CBF's opinion, that already makes him better than Rasho....so...

Mr. Body
07-13-2006, 11:32 PM
We all know Ian can dunk and has hops, and in CBF's opinion, that already makes him better than Rasho....so...

This also describes a guy... uh, forgotten his name... Eastern Europe. Never mind, forgot whatsisname.

Russ
07-13-2006, 11:34 PM
His summer league play will be the key. Sometimes necessity is the mother of invention. :)

Obstructed_View
07-13-2006, 11:34 PM
This also describes a guy... uh, forgotten his name... Eastern Europe. Never mind, forgot whatsisname.
I certainly wouldn't have minded having Javtokas and Mahinmi added to the center rotation, but I can't say that I've seen any more of Butler or Elson to say they are better or worse.

timvp
07-13-2006, 11:35 PM
timvp give us the official scouting report on young ian

Pros: Very good athlete. Can jump, run and has a lot of energy. Good timing on blocked shots. Aggressive on the boards. Offensively he finishes strong. Has good hands and a decent touch around the basket. Good character guy.

Cons: Raw. Very skinny ... makes Tayshaun Prince look chubby. No perimeter game to speak of. Gets in foul trouble. Basketball IQ is about average. Gets pump faked off his feet a lot.

I haven't seen any video of him in the last 6-8 months, so maybe he's worked on his game and added some muscle. I'd compare his upside initially to Steven Hunter.

Kori Ellis
07-13-2006, 11:37 PM
Don't be surprised if Ian gets a crazy amount of fouls in summer league. The refs aren't very good and usually the young bigs have a very hard time with foul trouble there (but you can't foul out).

baseline bum
07-13-2006, 11:38 PM
I'm excited about Ian, but I don't want to rush him in this season. All accounts I've heard have him 1-2 years from being NBA caliber, and he can probably develop his game better playing real minutes in France.

50 cent
07-13-2006, 11:38 PM
Wow, I'm not excited about Ian being our center this next year like some of the rest of you. This is just makes us seem ever more desperate that we would bring over a guy that needs a year or 2 more of development.

This really sucks.

MannyIsGod
07-13-2006, 11:39 PM
This is bad news if you ask me. It shows just how desprate the Spurs are right now. Gross.

MannyIsGod
07-13-2006, 11:39 PM
Wow, I'm not excited about Ian being our center this next year like some of the rest of you. This is just makes us seem ever more desperate that we would bring over a guy that needs a year or 2 more of development.

This really sucks.exactly.

Quadzilla99
07-13-2006, 11:40 PM
He's a Power Forward not a center.

violentkitten
07-13-2006, 11:47 PM
spurs realize 1st round picks are pretty cool

Buddy Holly
07-13-2006, 11:50 PM
This is bad news if you ask me. It shows just how desprate the Spurs are right now. Gross.

If he impressed during practice and now has a "small" chance to make the team, how is that "gross"?

furry_spurry
07-14-2006, 12:04 AM
We do know one thing-- he's cheap! His salary is pre-set by the NBA based upon his draft slot in the first round- part of the reason he was taken by the Spurs in the first round- to guarantee a non-negotiable low salary when he came.

With an overly positive report from the Spurs mouth-piece that contradicts the reports from merely a month ago- probably means he's coming if Butler doesn't. Time to build him up to Spurs fans. So predictable.

milkyway21
07-14-2006, 12:09 AM
Mahinmi impressed Spurs coaches this week in practice

he's already arrived in San Antonio?

Practice photos, anyone?

Solid D
07-14-2006, 12:29 AM
I'm pretty sure the Spurs won't know anything about Butler and Elson regarding their respective team's final intentions until Day 7. It is a standard way to condition teams to respond by thinking twice about trying to sign-away their RFAs.

I agree that if the Spurs get Elson and Butler both, there is no room for Ian, even if he were deemed almost "NBA ready".

THE SIXTH MAN
07-14-2006, 12:40 AM
When Petro from the sonics was scouted, were the same judgements that are for Ian the same for Petro? Was Petro not considered ready?

T Park
07-14-2006, 01:06 AM
:lol @ Spurs fans now being down on Mahinmi being NBA ready.

Yeah, just horrible that the kid could be ahead of schedual.

Just horrible.

Doomed I tell ya.

Obstructed_View
07-14-2006, 01:08 AM
Unless he doesn't need a year or two of development.

TDMVPDPOY
07-14-2006, 01:09 AM
how can we sign him when his already sign with pau, unless we gotto pay out his buyout which is lame, when we shouldve sign him b4 he signed pau. this is what happens when ur playin the wrong deck of cards....

T Park
07-14-2006, 01:11 AM
TDMVPDPOY

why dont you just go string up from the gallows and get it over with.

Christ sakes.....

MannyIsGod
07-14-2006, 01:18 AM
I guess it depends on your defenition of NBA ready. I seriously doubt Ian is on any level of NBA ready other than ready to be a 12th man.

I could be wrong, but all the reports were that he was at least 2 years away and now he might make the team after the Spurs have had trouble in free agency? Yeah, maybe he's made a dramatic improvement but more than likely the Spurs are simply desprate.

NorCal510
07-14-2006, 01:20 AM
i think stephen a smith is tpark undercover

T Park
07-14-2006, 01:23 AM

What the fuck, do you drink Stupidade?

Leetonidas
07-14-2006, 01:24 AM
What the fuck, do you drink Stupidade?
:lol

Mr. Body
07-14-2006, 01:25 AM

I don't imagine T Park yells as much.

milkyway21
07-14-2006, 02:12 AM
What the fuck, do you drink Stupidade?:lol

ChumpDumper
07-14-2006, 03:09 AM
We'll bring in Karaulov before we bring in this guy.

MannyIsGod
07-14-2006, 03:19 AM
:lmao @ stupidade.

Nice job Tpark.

T Park
07-14-2006, 03:38 AM
No problem.

It was an epiphany.

Its my once a year Kluby for making the forum laugh on purpose.

I don't imagine T Park yells as much.

Not at all.

I can't stand Stephen A Smith.

SCdac
07-14-2006, 04:56 AM
Mahinmi always reminds me of 18 year old Andrew Bynum for some reason. Could be great, but still pretty raw. Bynum though has played in the NBA and I believe is learning from Kareem (?)... In general, I think a year in the NBA would give Mahinmi some decent experience. Wouldnt get the same PT as he would overseas obviously, but could be worth it... if he is showing legitimate signs that he is ready. If he's just not ready there's no reason to rush it. I hope :lol

Bruno
07-14-2006, 04:57 AM
how can we sign him when his already sign with pau, unless we gotto pay out his buyout

Players who plays for teams in europe have often a close in their contract : they can leave their team during the summer without buyout if they find a job in nba.
I don't know for Mahinmi but Hiram Fuller who will play with Utah at RMR an who is Mahinmi's future teammate at Pau has a close like that.
If Spurs decide to get Mahinmi this summer (higly unlikely to me), it will be difficult for pau to find a replacement.

Bruno
07-14-2006, 05:02 AM
When Petro from the sonics was scouted, were the same judgements that are for Ian the same for Petro? Was Petro not considered ready?

The main difference between Petro and Mahinmi is that even if Petro is a raw player, Petro's body was nba ready.

BTW, I'm convinced that in 5 years Mahinmi with his great work ethic will be a way better player than Petro.

Mahinmi/Butler can be a good frontcourt in 2010. :smokin

Buddy Holly
07-14-2006, 05:15 AM
Mahinmi is going to suck

Great indepth analyzation there. :wakeup

Bruno
07-14-2006, 05:19 AM
Great indepth analyzation there. :wakeup

I wonder who is cleverer : Paris Hilton or GIG ?

Parker 09
07-14-2006, 05:22 AM
I think in terms of Basketball skills Ian is at the same level as Petro, but he is a good year from developing an nba body.
If Ian plays well in SL, Spurs front office are probably playing with the idea of signing him, stashing him in the wings, letting develop.
He's in SA, he can learn from TD and learn the ins and outs of SA's system. He can put on some bulk and he can also pick up some garbage minutes to help get him ready.
Plus this could be a safety plan coz SA know they won't get both Elson and Butler

Ocotillo
07-14-2006, 07:56 AM
I think in terms of Basketball skills Ian is at the same level as Petro, but he is a good year from developing an nba body.
If Ian plays well in SL, Spurs front office are probably playing with the idea of signing him, stashing him in the wings, letting develop.
He's in SA, he can learn from TD and learn the ins and outs of SA's system. He can put on some bulk and he can also pick up some garbage minutes to help get him ready.

If they sign him now on the the cheap and he is a 12th man or whatever, when his contract comes up again he won't have a history and he can be extended on the cheap just as he is beginning to be ready.

picnroll
07-14-2006, 08:10 AM
I wonder who is cleverer : Paris Hilton or GIG ?
Paris makes money playing dumb. GIG makes nothing being dumb. So you figure it out.

Just glad to hear the Spurs were impressed. Maybe after the Javtokas fiasco they just want to get a draft pick under contract.

Maybe the idea is to have Ian following Buford around eating double cheeseburgers. Supersize me.

strangeweather
07-14-2006, 08:35 AM
My guess on the turnaround: now that Javtokas has signed in Greece, if Butler falls through, we don't have a backup center prospect on the roster. Unless the FO finds someone else here to take a flyer on, bringing Mahinmi on early makes as much sense as anything.

bdictjames
07-14-2006, 12:10 PM
Yeah finally some good news this offseason!!!

Mr. Body
07-14-2006, 12:13 PM
My guess on the turnaround: now that Javtokas has signed in Greece, if Butler falls through, we don't have a backup center prospect on the roster. Unless the FO finds someone else here to take a flyer on, bringing Mahinmi on early makes as much sense as anything.

He'll get broken in half. As our back-up center he'll get killed and officially this will have been a disastrous offseason.

Slinkyman
07-14-2006, 12:19 PM
No way Ian sees any time at center, he'd play PF with another big at center. That is if he comes this year which he probably won't.

Spurologist
07-14-2006, 12:20 PM
This is a Jim Carrey special.

There probably really isn't a chance

ShoogarBear
07-14-2006, 12:23 PM
While I'm as underwhelmed with this offseason as most people, I think it would be a huge mistake to push Ian just because there's nobody else around. At best, he's only going to be a contributor towards the end of the Duncan Era. Don't screw him up by pushing him too hard too early.