PDA

View Full Version : Isiah now thinking Butler doesn't do it

timvp
07-14-2006, 03:43 AM
Isiah now thinking Butler doesn't do it
BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Isiah Thomas is having second thoughts on matching the three-year, $7 million offer sheet Jackie Butler received from the San Antonio Spurs.

According to sources, Thomas is surprised that the center, who is entering his second season, managed to secure a contract that dwarfs the $900,000 the Knicks offered him. The same source said there is a "50-50 chance" that Butler won't return. Thomas has until Wednesday to match the offer.

The Knicks already have 14 players under contract, and Thomas is finding it hard to justify signing Butler for $7 million when he could be the team's third-string center behind Eddy Curry and Jerome James.

Thomas, however, has a soft spot for the 6-10 Butler, whom he signed out of the CBA two years ago on the advice of former scout Del Demps, who now works for the Spurs. There is a good chance that former Knicks coach Larry Brown gave his good friend, San Antonio head coach Gregg Popovich, a thorough scouting report on Butler.

The Knicks have had strange dealings with the Spurs in recent years. Three years ago, Thomas agreed to send Kurt Thomas to San Antonio for Malik Rose only to rescind the offer at the last minute.

The following season, Thomas sent Nazr Mohammed to the Spurs for Rose, and Mohammed helped San Antonio win the title. Now, Butler could be replacing Mohammed, who is now a Piston.

Holy crap, there is a chance.

Please, Isiah. We neeeeeed him.

Sense
07-14-2006, 03:45 AM
*starts flipping coins*

timvp
07-14-2006, 03:45 AM
This is from the same newspaper who said that according to their sources the Knicks were going to match.

So recently, all the news is that the Knicks might actually not match.

The pulse is faint but we still have one.

T Park
07-14-2006, 03:46 AM
There is a good chance that former Knicks coach Larry Brown gave his good friend, San Antonio head coach Gregg Popovich, a thorough scouting report on Butler.

:lol

LJ didn't you suggest that?

Right on.

50/50

Thats more than we thought at the beginning of the day.

Thomas, however, has a soft spot for the 6-10 Butler

Thats a tough statement to swallow there.

ChumpDumper
07-14-2006, 03:46 AM
Zeke has someone else in mind for the MLE.

Probably another undersized PF.

I'll just say it's Reggie Evans. :stirpot:

SA210
07-14-2006, 03:47 AM
If he comes, what kinda stats might we be looking at? guesstimate anybody?

T Park
07-14-2006, 03:48 AM
8 and 8 like LJ said, Id agree, thats a good guess Poland.

This kid is a potential stud. No joke.

timvp

LJ didn't you suggest that?

Right on.

Yeah, but that was cheating. Spurs always do massive research before they sign someone. You can bet that Chip Engelland was a main person in the Spurs signing Elson.

50/50

Thats more than we thought at the beginning of the day.

I still can't imagine the Spurs have better than a 10% shot but hey, it's better than nothing.

T Park
HEY TIMVP youve watched him more than I have, my viewership of the Knicks waned near the end of the year.

How is his quickness and athleticism.

T Park
07-14-2006, 03:50 AM
You can bet that Chip Engelland was a main person in the Spurs signing Elson.

Chip has good talent evaluation.

Maybe.

No trust in the Chipper?

timvp
07-14-2006, 03:54 AM
HEY TIMVP youve watched him more than I have, my viewership of the Knicks waned near the end of the year.

How is his quickness and athleticism.

He's not really a great athlete but he's strong and has very good footwork. He can finish well but he's not a guy who just jumps out of the gym.

I think he'll get more athletic as his career goes on once he trims down a tad. He's barely 21 so he has a lot of room for growth.

ChumpDumper
07-14-2006, 03:57 AM
It would be awsome if he could drop 10-15 pounds this season.

T Park
07-14-2006, 03:57 AM
For some reason this guy has CIA written all over him, and if the Spurs can get him, it seems they could turn him into, not an all star, but a kid who will bring 15 and 10 consistently to the point where he commands serious respect.

timvp
07-14-2006, 04:06 AM
The Jackie Butler saga can go either way, according to sources. The three-year, $7 million offer sheet Butler signed with the Spurs was a lot more than the Knicks were willing to pay. For the Knicks to match, it would cost $14 million, including luxury tax, for a third-string center. The Knicks have seven days to match and might take all the time.

Matching the offer would be an indictment on backup Jerome James. Matching also would give them the maximum 15 players and make it impossible to sign free-agent small forward Qyntel Woods, or another player. Thomas is considering Pete Miller, a jump-shooting big man who started yesterday, as a center option.

"We'll see what happens," Thomas said. "Next couple of days, look at our options, not in a hurry to make a decision. Jackie was a good player for us, but we have other good players here also."

Now Isiah is just playing with us. He's making it seem like he might not match.

Come next Wednesday Butler will probably be a Knick.

But there's hope.

:smokin

Quadzilla99
07-14-2006, 04:07 AM
With his weight issues he could end up like Keith Traylor and never reach his potential or Udonis Haslem and become a solid player.

timvp
07-14-2006, 04:08 AM
With his weight issues he could end up like Keith Traylor and never reach his potential or Udonis Haslem and become a solid player.

$7M over three years. I'd be willing to take that gamble. Especially considering the Spurs have first hand knowledge of this kid from Larry Brown and Dell Demps.

T Park
07-14-2006, 04:08 AM
Jackie was a good player for us, but we have other good players here also."

Fuck you you emotional toying bitch.

T Park
07-14-2006, 04:09 AM
If Larry Brown tells you a young kid is gonna be good, you take freakin notice.

Larry Brown doesn't gush about young kids often. Think about that.

Quadzilla99
07-14-2006, 04:09 AM
$7M over three years. I'd be willing to take that gamble. Especially considering the Spurs have first hand knowledge of this kid from Larry Brown and Dell Demps.
I would too. He's pretty good right now even if he's not in optimal shape.

Kori Ellis
07-14-2006, 04:14 AM
People keep bringing up his weight issues. He weighs 260. It's not like he got fatter recently and used to be skinny. He's just a bulky body style. I don't really think there are "issues". Unless I'm wrong and he used to be skinnier and has fattened up lately.

Buddy Holly
07-14-2006, 04:16 AM
http://www.taipeitimes.com/images/2005/12/04/20051203215949.jpeg

Kori Ellis
07-14-2006, 04:19 AM
Change that picture to a link -- it's too slow to download.

Here's one over Beno.

http://www.nba.com/media/knicks/jackie_300_tv.jpg

Quadzilla99
07-14-2006, 04:19 AM
C'mon you can tell just by looking at him he is probably around 20 lbs overweight. It's obvious. It's something people bring up because it's a concern. Doesn't mean the people don't like him it's just a concern. Besides 260 is his listed wight. You don't really believe Patrick Ewing was 240lbs all those years?

Kori Ellis
07-14-2006, 04:21 AM
C'mon you can tell just by looking at him he is probably around 20 lbs overweight. It's obvious. It's something people bring up because it's a concern. Doesn't mean the people don't like him it's just a concern. Besides 260 is his listed wight. You don't really believe Patrick Ewing was 240lbs all those years?

I've seen him without a shirt and he's not fat. There's very rarely a fat NBA player. He's just not super skinny like most players in the NBA; he has a bulky body style. I don't know if you realize how skinny most of them are. I'd venture to bet Butler's body fat is still relatively low.

Buddy Holly
07-14-2006, 04:23 AM
Yeah, the guy's a huge lardass. :rolleyes

http://xs103.xs.to/xs103/06285/butler.jpg

Quadzilla99
07-14-2006, 04:28 AM
The first thing I thought when I saw him play on the Knicks was that he was a little overweight. He is definitely 10-20 lbs overweight. It's not worth getting worked up over just a concern like when somebody says Mahinmi needs to bulk up or Parker need to improve his jumper.

Kori Ellis
07-14-2006, 04:29 AM
The first thing I thought when I saw him play on the Knicks was that he was a little overweight. He is definitely 10-20 lbs overweight. It's not worth getting worked up over just a concern like when somebody says Mahinmi needs to bulk up or Parker need to improve his jumper.

I think me standing next to him without his shirt on would know if he's overweight compared to you seeing him on TV, but hey you are entitled to your opinion :drunk

Quadzilla99
07-14-2006, 04:31 AM
I want him to sign here anyways and think he's a pretty good player.

Kori Ellis
07-14-2006, 04:33 AM
Well don't worry, the Spurs organization has a good eating regimen for their players if he gets here. Too bad Beno doesn't follow it.

Quadzilla99
07-14-2006, 04:38 AM
It would be a generous thing to let a young player go play somewhere where he has a chance to start. Although it's a business and that doesn't factor in. It would kind of suck for him if they resigned him back up Curry and Compete with Jerome James for minutes. I remember Dumars saying he let Milicic go because he could see how unhappy he was becoming and that he didn't want to do that to anybody. So maybe they will give him what he wants. Probably a fat chance of that happening though.

MannyIsGod
07-14-2006, 04:46 AM
Well don't worry, the Spurs organization has a good eating regimen for their players if he gets here. Too bad Beno doesn't follow it.PF Changs eating MOFO.

TDMVPDPOY
07-14-2006, 04:55 AM
isiah thomas is a jackass, soft spot? thats probaly the only good thing his done since gm of the underwears.

Parker 09
07-14-2006, 06:10 AM
Please isiah one more dumb executive decision please.....

exstatic
07-14-2006, 07:20 AM
Please isiah one more dumb executive decision please.....
Actually, the dumb decision would be to match.

Samr
07-14-2006, 07:29 AM
If the Spurs sign Butler, and have Elson back him up, I am liable to wet myself. These next few days may ruin me with emotional stress from anticipation.

So let's say, by some incredible gift from god, that we get these two guys. NOW would you consider the Spur's offseason a success?

exstatic
07-14-2006, 07:33 AM
If the Spurs sign Butler, and have Elson back him up, I am liable to wet myself. These next few days may ruin me with emotional stress from anticipation.

So let's say, by some incredible gift from god, that we get these two guys. NOW would you consider the Spur's offseason a success?
They woudn't be done. I'm thinking there are trades in the works that depend on if we get zero, one, or two centers out of our offer sheets.

1Parker1
07-14-2006, 07:34 AM
PF Changs eating MOFO.

TDMVPDPOY
07-14-2006, 07:47 AM
there is also talk stupid nuggets not matchin offer cose they dont wanna pay lux tax.

pache100
07-14-2006, 07:58 AM
Yeah, the guy's a huge lardass. :rolleyes

http://xs103.xs.to/xs103/06285/butler.jpg

Even if he is what some consider "fat", they will get him down here, hook him up with a nutritionist, get him on the "Danny Ferry macrobiotic diet" that Timmy and some of the other Spurs players are on, and he'll be fine.

strangeweather
07-14-2006, 07:58 AM
As much as I like Butler, I wouldn't count on him just coming in and starting. It's possible he'll earn a starting job early on and it's possible it will be midseason, but it's not a lock that it will even be this year -- he's really young.

I think the point of signing Elson is supposed to be to reduce the pressure to rush things.

Mr. Body
07-14-2006, 08:04 AM
I'm pretty sure the Spurs are after Elson just for a guy who can start at the beginning of the season, then take a bench position as Butler comes on. There can be no other explanation, even though Elson has only started in Denver's (plentiful) injury instances.

This will forever feel short-sighted to me. 1) Butler may be matched, making the point moot, and 2) Javtokas has silly upside over Elson (it admittedly doesn't take much).

Is it that important to be slightly more competitive in the first 15-25 games that we're strangulating some potential talent on the bench?

strangeweather
07-14-2006, 08:09 AM
I'm pretty sure the Spurs are after Elson just for a guy who can start at the beginning of the season, then take a bench position as Butler comes on. There can be no other explanation, even though Elson has only started in Denver's (plentiful) injury instances.

This will forever feel short-sighted to me. 1) Butler may be matched, making the point moot, and 2) Javtokas has silly upside over Elson (it admittedly doesn't take much).

Is it that important to be slightly more competitive in the first 15-25 games that we're strangulating some potential talent on the bench?
What if neither Butler or Javtokas are ready to start all season? Do you rush one of them along and risk damaging his development, or do you you start Oberto?

Throwing developing players into the deep end on a veteran playoff team is a dangerous prospect both for the player and the team.

NBA Junkie
07-14-2006, 08:35 AM
If the Knicks don't match, I don't think it's because they found someone with the MLE, but James Dolan is finally serious about closing the pursestrings.

My bet is that they're still going after Kenyon Martin in a possible trade.

Mr. Body
07-14-2006, 09:00 AM
What if neither Butler or Javtokas are ready to start all season? Do you rush one of them along and risk damaging his development, or do you you start Oberto?

Throwing developing players into the deep end on a veteran playoff team is a dangerous prospect both for the player and the team.

I'd start Oberto. It's worth it to get an upside player like Javtokas on the squad, rather than 30 games of Elson. Even if we go .500 in those games (unlikely) it's worth it.

Mr. Body
07-14-2006, 09:01 AM
If the Knicks don't match, I don't think it's because they found someone with the MLE, but James Dolan is finally serious about closing the pursestrings.

My bet is that they're still going after Kenyon Martin in a possible trade.

I too think K-Mart's their man. That's the thing - if they do a trade, it'll be for a big man, not reducing Butler's expendability.

ducks
07-14-2006, 09:04 AM
what would be funny is if butler is for someone else and spur fans want to keep
him
then they would really be ticked at the fo

Solid D
07-14-2006, 09:18 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27491&page=3&pp=26&highlight=Butler

Here is a very short (3 page) game Blog from the first look we got at Jackie Butler as a Knick on October 22 last year.

I went to the game and here were a couple of comments about him in that Game Blog (in fact, singled him out).

BTW - we got a first look at Jackie Butler tonight and he was very impressive. He's big, he blocked 4 shots and bothered several others. He has touch around the basket and he even showed a decent mid-range game.

The Spurs seemed to be able to stay just ahead of the Knicks all night. In the last 3-4 minutes of the game, Pop took his scorers out with the exception of Tony (I don't see Brent as a true scorer). He had TP, Barry, Sanders, Marks and Rasho on the floor in the last 3 minutes and the Spurs only scored one FG and had 3 TOs. Frye and Jackie Butler played excellent interior D during that time.

The Knicks, on the other hand, had Jamal Crawford - their penultimate scorer (since Marbury was sitting) and a hot Channing Frye, and they didn't miss.

That's how you lose a game after you controlled it the majority of the time.

baseline bum
07-14-2006, 10:09 AM
Isiah's just messing with Pop. I would be absolutely shocked if he doesn't match. He just wants to screw us over since RC's forcing his hand into paying a lot more than he wanted to.

MajorMike
07-14-2006, 10:13 AM
If Larry Brown tells you a young kid is gonna be good, you take freakin notice.

Larry Brown doesn't gush about young kids often. Think about that.

They had his prep school coach on the Ticket yesterday. He is now coach of a Christian Prep school here in San Antonio. He said, in his opinion, he is already an ungrade over Nazr and Rasho because not only does he have offensive ability, but great hands for a bigman as well.

Mr. Body
07-14-2006, 10:18 AM
They had his prep school coach on the Ticket yesterday. He is now coach of a Christian Prep school here in San Antonio. He said, in his opinion, he is already an ungrade over Nazr and Rasho because not only does he have offensive ability, but great hands for a bigman as well.

I can't listen to this stuff. It just means more tears when he's matched. :depressed

furry_spurry
07-14-2006, 10:20 AM
I expect a trade in the next few days from the Knicks- opening up a roster spot for Butler. You know- send out more guys than you take back.

benjirh
07-14-2006, 10:23 AM
41 starts - 21.5mpg - 7.2ppg - 6.5rpg - 1.1bpg - .9apg

picnroll
07-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Having watched about ten Knick games last year I'd take Butler over Nazr or Rasho in a heartbeat and think that once he has the Spurs system a little under his belt he's a more capable starter than either of those two. I'd love to see Dirk trying to handle Butler in the box.

MajorMike
07-14-2006, 10:24 AM
I expect a trade in the next few days from the Knicks- opening up a roster spot for Butler. You know- send out more guys than you take back.

That sounds like the movie I just watched with my kids last night: Leroy and Stitch.
The Aloha you give comes back to you.

Mr. Body
07-14-2006, 10:26 AM

No doubt they're trying it. Unfortunately, there are two types of players on Knick payroll: extremely expensive 'veterans' or inexpensive hustling young talent. The first are difficult to bundle into trades, the second are what everyone wants and they don't want to give up. The question would be, do they want Butler over Nate Robinson, David Lee, Channing Frye, etc.?

It's also likely in a big trade, because their pieces are so unattractive, the Knicks will need to take on even more salary than they have. They may dump a Francis or a Q-Richardson, but it'll be to take on a Kenyon Martin.

I agree, there's a trade coming, but I don't know if it's enough.

El_Mago
07-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Thomas and the Knicks are not going to use their MLE on anyone.

Thomas has already stated that he likes his team as it is, and that the only free agents he is going to sign are his own....if he signs anyone it might be from their summer leagues...but, no one is getting a piece of the MLE.

Notorious H.O.P.
07-14-2006, 10:43 AM
Everyone knows that the Knicks will take the max amount of time in their decision no matter what. They could have already made the decision to keep him or let him go but they aren't going to give away their hand until the bitter end.

Most teams in the league will do that because otherwise, they are painting huge targets on their RFAs. They have to have a rep of making it difficult to steal their free agents.

If you want to plunder someone's roster, do you go for the class organization that makes immediate decisions and minimizes risk by not tying up your money for a week or do you go for the organization that is notorious for waiting until 15 minutes before the deadline whether they intend to keep the player or not?

For a similar quality player, you go with the easy target. The Nuggets don't want Elson but they'll probably still wait until at least day five if not six or seven. Isiah is the type of guy who wants people to know that they can't pull one over on him (even though the opposite has been proven). He'll wait the max.

Plus Isiah is probably pissed that he is known for (among other things) trading a key championship piece (debatable) to the Spurs and getting back an atrocious contract (not really that bad) for a player that hasn't produced.

Mr. Body
07-14-2006, 10:45 AM
I can't imagine what it'd be like if the waiting window was still 14 days.

Notorious H.O.P.
07-14-2006, 10:49 AM
Considering our other alternatives, your hair would prematurely gray, you'd spend most of the day cursing and mumbling to yourself and you'd have a bruised and bloody forehead from banging it on the wall and keyboard.

callo1
07-14-2006, 10:57 AM
I really like this move by Pop and RC. I believe it will pan out in the end. Whats funny is how much shit people are giving the FO with their recent moves for Elsen and Butler, but people don't take into consideration players in the league right now that have flourished with a change of scenery. Look at Billups for example...he bounced from team to team before he found a situation that brought the best out in him...hell, look at Jermaine O'neil as well. Granted Jermaine was still a pup when he went to the Pacers and had a great upside. I am not saying that I think either of these bigs will become elite players in the league, but if anyone can get them to raise their game, and realize their pull potential, it is Pop and TD.

Mr. Body
07-14-2006, 11:06 AM
I really like this move by Pop and RC. I believe it will pan out in the end. Whats funny is how much shit people are giving the FO with their recent moves for Elsen and Butler, but people don't take into consideration players in the league right now that have flourished with a change os scenery.

I think I'm in with a lot of people on the board that is bewildered by the Elson signing. Why then? Couldn't they wait? Why for that much money...? I doubt Elson is going to suddenly flourish in a new system. He's a mediocrity.

But most everyone is excited by Jackie Butler's prospects. We're hedging our expectations, however, due to his phantom nature. We've gotten our little hearts stomped on this summer, we don't want to get attached to a career Knick.

Acquiring Butler would go a ways to coloring this offseason much brighter.

Spurs9
07-14-2006, 12:26 PM
WOW, does KSAT 12 read these forums??
I just posted in another thread this...
Did anyone just see KSAT 12 at noon? Very intresting about Butler, they said the Knicks are having a hard time matching the offer becuase they only want to give him $900.000 a year while the spurs are offering $2million a year! AND one of the inside guys who wanted to sign Butler for the Knicks NOW is on the spurs. Very intrested. :smokin

dbestpro
07-14-2006, 03:12 PM
NBA draftnet review when he was 19. He seems to have addressed some of the flaws in his game since then and as a Spur starter at the age of 21 will probalby be a 10ppg 8 rpg player. With his youth and continued development he could easily be a 20ppg 12 rpg player in 2-3 years. His upside is actually better than any Euro player including Javtokas, Scola or Mahini.

Strength: A real physical specimen at the tender age of 19. Has slimed down and built muscle. His strength allows him to put himself wherever he wants in the post.. Has great hands downlow and anything that goes his way he gets ahold of. His post game is developing, if he can improve in this area, he's got a chance to be a 12 year NBA player. Very athletic and gets down the court pretty well for a big man when he wants to. Looks like a young Elton Brand the way he hits the offensive boards and finds position for rebounds. His huge wingspan (7 foot) makes him a bigger player than he is.

Weaknesses: Post game is still very raw and needs work. In high school he could use his strength to get whenever he needed to (that won't be the case in the NBA). Footwork also needs improvement.... Could have done himself some good by going to college however he should still be drafted. At times he's very inconsistent and lazy on defense, especially in transition. Needs to work harder and get into better shape.

Note: He is 19 years old, he attended a prep school for 1 year.

-Rob Salvador (Draftcamp warrior) -- 6/16/04

grjr
07-14-2006, 03:17 PM
The same source said there is a "50-50 chance" that Butler won't return.

I still can't imagine the Spurs have better than a 10% shot but hey, it's better than nothing.

http://www.movieactors.com/freezeframes510/NakedGun5.jpeg

Mr. Body
07-14-2006, 03:18 PM
Has slimed down

He slimed down?

... eeeeewwww.

;) :sick :vomit:

T Park
07-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Looks like a young Elton Brand the way he hits the offensive boards and finds position for rebounds. His huge wingspan (7 foot) makes him a bigger player than he is.

oh for the love of pete, do not match this kid.........

cherylsteele
07-14-2006, 04:01 PM
Well don't worry, the Spurs organization has a good eating regimen for their players if he gets here. Too bad Beno doesn't follow it.
This song came to mind when you said this:

Junk Food Junkie
Larry Groce

You know I love that organic cooking
I always ask for more
And they call me Mr Natural
On down to the health food store
I only eat good sea salt
White sugar don't touch my lips
And my friends is always begging me
To take them on macrobiotic trips
Yes, they are

Oh, but at night I stake out my strong box
That I keep under lock and key
And I take it off to my closet
Where nobody else can see
I open that door so slowly
Take a peek up north and south
Then I pull out a Hostess Twinkie
And I pop it in my mouth

Yeah, in the daytime I'm Mr Natural
Just as healthy as I can be
But at night I'm a junk food junkie
Good lord have pity on me

Well, at lunchtime you can always find me
At the Whole Earth Vitamin Bar
Just sucking on my plain white yogurt
From my hand thrown pottery jar
And sippin' a little hand pressed cider
With a carrot stick for dessert
And wiping my face in a natural way
On the sleeve of my peasant shirt
Oh, yeah

Ah, but when that clock strikes midnight
And I'm all by myself
I work that combination on my secret hideaway shelf
And I pull out some Fritos corn chips
Dr Pepper and an ole Moon Pie
Then I sit back in glorious expectation
Of a genuine junk food high

Oh yeah, in the daytime I'm Mr Natural
Oh, but at night I'm a junk food junkie

My friends down at the commune
They think I'm pretty neat
Oh, I don't know nothing about arts and crafts
But I give 'em all something to eat
I'm a friend to old Euell Gibbons
And I only eat home grown spice
I got a John Keats autographed Grecian urn
Filled up with my brown rice
Yes, I do

Oh, folks but lately I hae been spotted
With a Big Mac on my breath
Stumbling into a Colonel Sanders
With a face as white as death
I'm aftraid someday they'll find me
Just stretched out on my bed
With a handful of Pringles potato chips
And a Ding Dong by my head

In the daytime I'm Mr Natural
But at night I'm a junk food junkie

Sway
07-14-2006, 06:19 PM
The Knicks completed summer league Thursday, finishing 4-1. Nate Robinson, David Lee and Channing Frye (who's time here was limited) all looked like what they are -- legit NBA players -- in pretty much having their way with the competition.

The Knicks already have 14 players under contract, and Thomas is finding it hard to justify signing Butler for $7 million when he could be the team's third-string center behind Eddy Curry and Jerome James.

I think we actually have a shot at getting Butler for a couple reasons.
1) Isnt Butler really the 4th string C behind Curry, James and Frye? Why would you match for a 4th string big man?
2) The Knicks are supposed to play a fast paced game next year i.e. small ball.
3) Butler doesn’t want to play there.
4) Frye is really being hyped up in NY as a great young talent.

E20
07-14-2006, 06:34 PM
This guy is hte second coming..........

strangeweather
07-14-2006, 06:37 PM
1) Isnt Butler really the 4th string C behind Curry, James and Frye? Why would you match for a 4th string big man?
Zeke can't exactly pitch it to Dolan this way, but Butler is really third string, because Jerome James sucks. :lol

exstatic
07-14-2006, 06:44 PM
My take on this seeming reversal rumor? Isaiah's initial reaction was visceral, so he told people they were matching. Then, he talked to Dolan...

Mr. Body
07-14-2006, 08:16 PM
My take on this seeming reversal rumor? Isaiah's initial reaction was visceral, so he told people they were matching. Then, he talked to Dolan...

*nods*

yep

violentkitten
07-14-2006, 08:20 PM
Plus Isiah is probably pissed that he is known for (among other things) trading a key championship piece (debatable) to the Spurs and getting back an atrocious contract (not really that bad) for a player that hasn't produced.

considering that the knicks are going to be over the cap for eternity, he got two 1st round picks in exchange for a year of nazr mohammed. not really that bad when you look at it that way.

Mr. Body
07-14-2006, 08:24 PM
The Knicks don't mind the Nazr trade. It might have helped them more than us, actually, since they got a good locker room guy, David Lee, and Marty Collins (eh.) out of it. They also would have lost Nazr about the time we did.

Isiah Thomas
07-14-2006, 08:48 PM
To think, your team's future rests in my hands

:lol :lol :lol

Obstructed_View
07-14-2006, 08:49 PM
If Isiah's telling the media Eddy Curry is going to be an all-star under his system, I don't see HOW he could be thinking of matching.

Trainwreck2100
07-14-2006, 08:49 PM
The Knicks don't mind the Nazr trade. It might have helped them more than us, actually, since they got a good locker room guy, David Lee, and Marty Collins (eh.) out of it. They also would have lost Nazr about the time we did.

The Spurs won a Chamionship with that trade.

NBA Junkie
07-14-2006, 08:52 PM
If Isiah's telling the media Eddy Curry is going to be an all-star under his system, I don't see HOW he could be thinking of matching.

Hasn't stopped him from stockpiling PG's and PF's.

Mr. Body
07-14-2006, 08:52 PM
The Spurs won a Chamionship with that trade.

Yes/no. The point is, the Knicks came away from it just fine. No winners/no losers.

Isiah Thomas
07-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Hasn't stopped him from stockpiling PG's and PF's.

I plan on having the first offense where the pick and roll is executed 90% of the time

NBA Junkie
07-14-2006, 09:02 PM
I plan on having the first offense where the pick and roll is executed 90% of the time

Good luck with that. You don't exactly have Stockton & Malone on your roster.

Obstructed_View
07-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Good luck with that. You don't exactly have Stockton & Malone on your roster.
Or anyone that actually passes the ball.

NBA Junkie
07-14-2006, 09:22 PM
Or anyone that actually passes the ball.

Aww..come on, they got the best PG in the game in Stephon Marbury.

Don't believe me? Just ask him.