PDA

View Full Version : Drew Gooden to be S&Ted-4 teams interested

CavsFan89
07-14-2006, 09:21 AM
The Cavaliers settled their major off-season issue by signing LeBron James to an extension earlier this week. Now their focus is directed on signing restricted free agent Drew Gooden, but the negotiations are dragging.

The Cavs have not offered Gooden a contract. Gooden would like to sign a five- to six-year deal, but the organization may have something else in mind.

General Manager Danny Ferry said Thursday night there has not been any progress. Gooden's agent, Calvin Andrews, spoke with Cavs officials on Thursday and talks will resume today.

Gooden, meanwhile, would like to continue his career in Cleveland.

"I hope everything works out so I can stay in Cleveland," Gooden said. "LeBron was signed and that shows the organization's commitment to bringing a championship to Cleveland. I want to be a part of that. "

If the Cavs and Gooden don't come to an agreement, he could sign a one-year deal and become a free agent after next season or request a sign-and-trade. Rumblings of a sign-and-trade have begun - Phoenix, Chicago, Boston and Philadelphia are interested in Gooden, according to several league sources.

Until it comes to that, Andrews said he will follow the Cavs' lead throughout the negotiations.

"Drew wants to remain with the Cavs and we'll do our best to make that happen," Andrews said.

Shank
07-14-2006, 09:39 AM
Of course Chicago is interested. Why wouldn't they be? Reminds me of an Onion column where the Yankees signed every player in baseball.

NBA Junkie
07-14-2006, 09:44 AM
Phoenix is interested? Why?

Unless they want to give the Cavs Shawn Marion which would be sick if him and James were together.

Unfortunately, they'd probably get Kurt Thomas in any such deal.

BillsCarnage
07-14-2006, 11:39 AM
yeah, KT is the rumor i've been hearing because of salary. However i'd be surprised if they do it as that would lock Gooden in for a few years and most likely spell the end of Barbosa.

I expect KT and Marion to be shipped out next summer - KT maybe sooner.

CavsFan89
07-14-2006, 11:54 AM
The hot rumor i have been hearing is Drew Gooden, Ira, Damon, Luke to Boston for Wally, Delonte, and a filler.

NBA Junkie
07-14-2006, 12:04 PM
I know that the Cavs have coveted Szczerbiak since the '99 draft, so I'm not surprised at this rumor.

Where does Wally fit in though? As a sixth man? James is going to take up the majority of the minutes at SF which is Szczerbo's primary position. Larry Hughes is the starting 2 guard and moving him to the point probably wouldn't be in the Cavs best interests.

I don't think Wally would be open to being a sixth man. Being a T'Wolves fan, I remember he wasn't too thrilled being brought off the bench when Sprewell and Hassell were in the starting line-up.

He'd definitely be an asset as he's nearly automatic if he's left open.

CavsFan89
07-14-2006, 12:06 PM
I seriously dont think that will happen...Just someone making it up. Even tho it was on Espns news. It was part of a 3 team trade. Celtics Cavs 76ers

Anyways the Cavs are close to signing David Wesly.

Cavaliers could ink veteran guard Wesley
By Bob Finnan

Special to the Inde

Cavaliers general manager Danny Ferry has been on the prowl for a veteran guard. Sources say the Cavaliers are close to signing veteran David Wesley.

Wesley, who’ll be 36 on Nov. 14, could be signed with part of their mid-level exception or possibly the bi-annual exception ($1.8 million).

He played 71 games last year for Houston, including 59 in the starting lineup. He averaged 9.9 points, 2.9 assists and 2.5 rebounds.

The 2006-07 season will be his 14th in the NBA. Wesley has averaged 12.9 points, 4.5 assists and 2.1 rebounds in his career. He’s a 42.5 percent career shooter, including 37 percent from the 3-point line.

If he’s added, the Cavaliers would be overloaded at the guard position, especially after drafting Shannon Brown of Michigan State in the first round and Daniel Gibson of Texas in the second. Other guards on the roster are starters Eric Snow and Larry Hughes and backup point guard Damon Jones, whose name has surfaced in trade talks.

The 6-foot-1, 203-pounder can play both guard spots and would likely come off the bench in Cleveland. He was not drafted upon leaving Baylor in 1992.

If Wesley was signed, he’d be the 15th player on the roster. Swingman Stephen Graham has a contract for next season, but it’s not guaranteed.

Another player not under contract is restricted free agent Drew Gooden.

Unless things turn around quickly, he might be playing for another team next year.

Talks between his agent, Calvin Andrews, and the Cavaliers have started to break down.

“We’re trying to see if any sign-and-trades work,” Andrews said. “We are trying to exhaust every avenue. We’re working through some different things.”

The Cavaliers told Andrews to be patient while they were working on LeBron James’ three-year extension. Now, it’s Gooden’s turn.

The 6-foot-10, 242-pounder is a restricted free agent who wants to remain in Cleveland. But Andrews said a sign-and-trade might be the answer.

“I think it’s a very feasible route,” he said.

Of course, all would be well in Gooden’s world if the Cavaliers make an offer to his liking, but that’s not been the case.

“They have not made an offer yet,” Andrews said. “Maybe they are holding out on something. We’re being patient and working with them. We respect what they’re trying to do. We’ll follow their lead.

“They can make an offer he likes. That’s what he would prefer. Drew wants to stay in Cleveland. If they make an offer that makes sense, we’ll do it. If a sign-and-trade makes more sense, we’ll do that. We’re not ready to hit the panic button.”

The few teams that have money don’t have a crying need for a power forward. He might have to take a mid-level offer ($5.2 million) or accept the Cavaliers’ qualifying offer ($5.4 million) and become an unrestricted free agent after this season. Andrews said earlier that taking the qualifying offer will be their last resort.

Notes – The Cavaliers had interest in signing Maccabi Tel Aviv swingman Anthony Parker, but maybe not three years and $12 million interest. Toronto signed him to that contract Thursday. Parker’s agent, Henry Thomas, said the Cavaliers were in the picture, but wouldn’t say how much interest they had. Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo was a busy man on Thursday. He also signed former 76ers shooting guard John Salmons to a five-year, $23 million contract (the final year is a player option). ... The Cavaliers had Nigerian forward Ejike Ugboaja, one of the team’s second-round picks last June, on their summer league roster in Las Vegas. However, he didn’t have enough time to get his Visa processed in order to come to the United States. ... Heat guard Mike Gansey was sidelined with a sore back in a game against Chicago in the Orlando summer league. “Coming into the game today it was just killing me,” Gansey told the Miami Herald. The Olmsted Falls product was undrafted after leaving West Virginia. ... One of the premiere 3-on-3 basketball tournaments in the country is back this Saturday and Sunday at Perkins Park in West Akron. The 14th annual King of the Court will feature more than 60 teams from Akron, New York, Atlanta and Baltimore. The tournament format will be double elimination and standard basketball rules apply. All games will be officiated and there will be six divisions to compete including: Boys High School, Women’s, 6-foot and under, Masters (40 and over) and Elite. A $5,000 cash prize will be awarded to Elite division champs and trophies and prizes will be presented to all division winners and runners-up. Entry fees are $80 per team and all teams must have four players. For information, call (330) 376-2935.

sickdsm
07-14-2006, 02:25 PM
yeah, KT is the rumor i've been hearing because of salary. However i'd be surprised if they do it as that would lock Gooden in for a few years and most likely spell the end of Barbosa.

I've been hearing alot of the Jaric/kurt thomas deal since Phx lost out on Salmons........

AZLouis
07-14-2006, 02:56 PM

Nice player. Would fill a role position pretty decently. His salary is likely to increase from the $5.3 qualifying offer for this season.

However, he doesn't address needs the Suns need to fill. Backup PG and a backup big who can defend the center position.

Defense is not Gooden's strength. And parting with KT (the Suns best big defender) weakens their frontline.

Or maybe they are preparing for any issues with Amare's surgered knees?

Nash, Bell, Marion, Amare, Diaw

backed up by Barbosa, Gooden, Jones

with Polish Rifle, Pat Burke, Maciej Lampe, Ruben Douglas/Romain Sato, other junk filler

Not very pretty as far as a defensive, inside presence is concerned.

Maybe Frito Lays can invent a new chip the Frito Lay-up and market it in Phoenix if this deal goes through.

NBA Junkie
07-14-2006, 03:00 PM
I've been hearing alot of the Jaric/kurt thomas deal since Phx lost out on Salmons........

Yeah, I've heard those rumors myself.

Probably a more attainable piece than Magloire would be.