PDA

View Full Version : JR Smith

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-14-2006, 04:56 PM
going to look mighty good in the powder blue uniform :smokin

ChumpDumper
07-14-2006, 05:00 PM
You finally got something that resembles a shooting guard?

Congrats.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-14-2006, 05:04 PM
well its not official but it should be in the next couple of days.

I know it sounds like 'insider' crap but we have a legit source who informed us of melo/nene a couple of days before it happened, figures and all.

kolko
07-14-2006, 05:08 PM
So it's Eisley and two second round picks for JR Smith?

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-14-2006, 05:11 PM
So it's Eisley and two second round picks for JR Smith?

yeh, pretty cheap. The rumour is all over the place now
:lol

Warkentein managed to get Eisley's agent so sign him onto a non-guaranteed contract, which means he can be part of the deal.

JR can be moved straight way, as long as it is just a 1 for 1 player swap, plus picks of course.

NBA Junkie
07-14-2006, 05:14 PM
The Nuggets just committed grand larceny if this trade goes down!

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-14-2006, 05:16 PM
The Nuggets just committed grand larceny if this trade goes down!

:lol yeh, it sounds way too good too be true but the guy knows what he is talking about.

Of course the Bulls could pull out and realise they are being ripped off but i hope something goes through soon.

NBA Junkie
07-14-2006, 05:19 PM
I just realized that Spurs fans will be boiling when they see how little Chicago got in return.

They couldn't even get him for Brent Barry. Damn, they're gonna be pissed!

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-14-2006, 05:21 PM
I just realized that Spurs fans will be boiling when they see how little Chicago got in return.

They couldn't even get him for Brent Barry. Damn, they're gonna be pissed!

yeh, well i think at one point there was speculation that he could have been had for nothing but a 2nd rd pick :drunk

Who pulled out of the spurs/hornets trade?

ChumpDumper
07-14-2006, 05:22 PM
Nobody pulled out of the trade, we just put it in to the league too late.

We were just trying to get rid of Barry. If JR played at all I would've been surprised.

NBA Junkie
07-14-2006, 05:24 PM
Who pulled out of the spurs/hornets trade?

I don't think anyone did. A deal was on the table at the trade deadline in February, but it didn't get submitted to the league in time.

Kori or ChumpDumper would probably know more about this than I do.

Edit: Questions been answered.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-14-2006, 05:24 PM
Nobody pulled out of the trade, we just put it in to the league too late.

We were just trying to get rid of Barry. If JR played at all I would've been surprised.

oh ok.

So its not that big a deal anyways

ChumpDumper
07-14-2006, 05:29 PM
It's great news for Denver. JR will play alot more there than he would have here.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-14-2006, 05:43 PM
It's great news for Denver. JR will play alot more there than he would have here.

yeh. Lets just hope that it becomes official ASAP :smokin

I hate getting my hopes up

exstatic
07-15-2006, 04:27 PM
Karl will hate him within 2 months. I can totally see him getting the "DerMarr" treatment.

Slinkyman
07-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Karl will hate him within 2 months. I can totally see him getting the "DerMarr" treatment.

If Karl can't get along with Kmart how is he going to deal with JR "i'll show up for the last 20 minutes of practice" Smith, it will be fun to watch.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-15-2006, 04:52 PM
u dont bypass a player that u can get for next to nothing just coz of attitude. Dont be dirty that you guys still have Barry instead of JR :smokin

If the Nugs lose out then its no big deal but if he meshes and grows up, then its a steal :smokin

Quadzilla99
07-15-2006, 04:55 PM
He'll fit in great in that locker room.

Big P
07-16-2006, 12:36 AM
Eisley's a FA

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-16-2006, 12:44 AM
he was a FA, Warkentein convinced his agent to take a partially guaranteed contract and now is able to be moved to Chicago :smokin

texbound
07-16-2006, 09:50 AM
he was a FA, Warkentein convinced his agent to take a partially guaranteed contract and now is able to be moved to Chicago

Not completely doubting the source, but let me see if I get this straight:

1.) Denver convinces an UFA (Howard Eisley) to sign a partially-guaranteed (earlier you said it was non-guaranteed) contract

2.) That player (Eisley) then agrees to be traded to another team (who will just probably waive him) when he could sign with any other team for the exact same type of contract

IS that correct? This sounds logical. If you're Eisley's agent, wouldn't you push for a GUARANTEED contract?

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-16-2006, 03:12 PM
it confuses me lol

I dont know the full details but i know it will be done on monday or tuesday, unless Paxson pulls out of the deal, which i hope he doesnt

All i know is that Warkentein did a good job in getting something done

texbound
07-16-2006, 03:59 PM
All i know is that Warkentein did a good job in getting something done

If this thing does happen, then Warkenstein needs to go over to the middle east and convince them to stop fighting.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-16-2006, 10:19 PM
If this thing does happen, then Warkenstein needs to go over to the middle east and convince them to stop fighting.

:lol even he couldnt get that done :smokin

There will never be peace in that region, its part of prophecy

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-17-2006, 04:28 AM
its done. Awesome job Warkentien :smokin

NugzFan
07-17-2006, 10:00 AM
u dont bypass a player that u can get for next to nothing just coz of attitude. Dont be dirty that you guys still have Barry instead of JR :smokin

If the Nugs lose out then its no big deal but if he meshes and grows up, then its a steal :smokin

exactly. always fun to watch people try and rip a deal that has very little wrong with it.

texbound
07-17-2006, 06:37 PM
this a great pull by the Nuggets. They get Smith for basically nothing.

There's no question that Smith has some issues, but if he can grow up a bit then they just found there SG (although he needs to work on his outside game to really be a SG).

TDMVPDPOY
07-18-2006, 01:02 AM
man we shouldve traded for him when we had teh chance and trade him to nuggets to stock up on draft picks

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-18-2006, 01:53 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_4851972,00.html

The Nuggets have Carmelo Anthony, Earl Boykins and others whose jerseys sell briskly at the team store.

They soon should add another.

"I'm a fan favorite," J.R. Smith said. "I get up and down the court. I like to dunk. . . . I'm sure (Nuggets fans will) love me."

Smith appears to be the Nuggets' future shooting guard. He said Monday he expects to be in Denver for a news conference Thursday, with a trade completed by then.

Thursday also is the deadline for the Nuggets to match the two-year, $6 million offer sheet restricted free agent center Francisco Elson has signed with the San Antonio Spurs. There were indications Monday the acquisition of Smith could lead to it being matched.

Smith was dealt Friday with P.J. Brown from the New Orleans/Oklahoma Hornets to the Chicago Bulls for Tyson Chandler. Smith said he will take a physical Wednesday in Chicago before being traded to the Nuggets, who he said have waived his physical.

The Nuggets will send the Bulls guard Howard Eisley, who has a nonguaranteed contract and will be waived, and two 2007 second-round choices. The picks will be the Nuggets' own and the lower selection between the Boston Celtics and Golden State Warriors.

The Bulls must clear money to sign free agent Adrian Griffin. It's why the Nuggets aren't paying a big price.

"(Smith) can shoot the lights out," Hornets guard Chris Paul said. "I don't know anyone with the ability to jump like him. Denver's getting a steal."

The Nuggets long have been searching for a shooting guard. They hope Smith will be the answer.

"I feel great about going to Denver," said Smith, who said Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin is the favorite player of his mother, Ida Smith. "I think George Karl is a great coach. . . . I'm looking forward to getting to know my new teammates. But I'm not going to make any starting predictions."

Smith, 20, was drafted No. 18 by the Hornets in 2004 out of St. Benedict's Prep in Newark, N.J. He averaged 10.3 points while mostly starting as a rookie, but dropped to 7.7 last season, when he lost his starting job around midseason and clashed with coach Byron Scott.

Smith said it was "miscommunication." He said the two haven't spoken in a while.

Smith shot 37.1 percent on three-pointers last season. His high school coach, Dan Hurley, said Smith has a "Dell Curry stroke" and is a "phenomenal perimeter shooter" who was trying too hard to show he could put the ball on the floor.

"He's been lifting and getting stronger and really working on his skills," said John Lucas, a former Nuggets assistant who has been working Smith out this summer in Houston. "He's got the ability to be as good as anybody in this league."

Smith also has drawn raves for conduct off the court. His father, Earl Smith, said he has given $50,000 to St. Benedict's.

"I told him once, 'If you ever make it, I'll be knocking on your door (for a donation),' " said St. Benedict's headmaster, Father Edwin Leahy, who saw Smith when he visited the school Monday to work with youngsters. "He's a terrific guy, It's the middle of July and he stops by."

Smith will make $1.39 million in the third year of a three-year, $3.9 million deal. The Nuggets will have until Oct. 31 to pick up his 2007-08 option worth $2.14 million.

Because the Nuggets did not break the bank for a shooting guard, they might keep Elson. Nuggets director of player personnel Mark Warkentien wouldn't comment on Smith and how the trade might affect Elson, while Elson's agent, Calvin Andrews, said he had no update.

Warkentien expects to wait until Thursday to decide on Elson. That also appears to be the day he will introduce a fan favorite.

ETC.: Warkentien indicated restricted free agent Nene, who has agreed to a six-year, $60 million deal, could sign as soon as today. "Sooner, rather than later," said Warkentien, who said attorneys are working on the contract . . . Lucas said the Nuggets have "pretty serious" interest in his son, free-agent point guard John Lucas III, who played sparingly as a rookie last season with Houston before averaging 23.4 points for the Rockets in the Vegas Summer League.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-20-2006, 02:10 AM
the time is now! Nene and Smith signing to be announced today :smokin

JR Passed his physical in chicago and is on his way to Denver