PDA

View Full Version : Next year maybe, Robertas

40 inch vertical
07-14-2006, 07:57 PM
So, it's Friday and if the reports are true, then we'll have to wait another year to see what Robertas Javtokas can do in the NBA. It's been a long wait for many of us who took an interest him following his being selected as a second round pick.

Why was I looking forward to his coming to San Antonio. Three reasons I guess. The first is that I felt he filled a need. Over the last several seasons, even though we won the championship in 2005, I can't tell you how frustrated I've been watching opposing players go uncontested to the hole on us. Added to this has been my frustration with what seems to me to be a lack of rebounding production out of the center position. I honestly feel that Robertas Javtokas, of all the people we've considered for that spot, would have helped a lot in that regard. Anyone who watched him during the olympics couldn't help but observe that he has tremendous shot blocking ability and he's a good rebounder. More than anything else, that's what I wanted from our 5 position and I suspect that I am not alone.

The second reason I wanted him here was because the guy still appears to be a freakish athlete. I think you all know the stories of the 40 inch vertical and setting a dunking record for height, the time he jumped over the car, the statements that he was the fastest man on his Lithuanian team. Anybody with that type of athletic ability has got to be able to refine the other aspects of his game. Maybe he'd never get great at offense, but I do think he could have become much improved under the right tutor. You wonder how much of that he actually received in Lithuania, probably not a whole lot. I actually grow tired of all the posts about his being a "European" center. I think I know what is implied there and, if I'm correct, he's anything but that. The block on Duncan's turn-around in the olympics and other blocks he had there, plus all the stories, convinced me. He's a very good athlete by anyone's standards.

Lastly, man, I just wanted to see the completion of a good story. From the Spurs helping this guy out after his motorcycle accident (which - after which - many questioned whether he would walk again) to his fulfilling of a life long dream to play in the NBA. The bitterness of these negotiations has really trampled the beauty of that vision for me.

Part of me thinks he just should have accepted whatever they were willing to pay, the other part of me thinks he shouldn't get shafted just because he got drafted in the second round. I don't know how I feel about all that honestly. What I do know is that I'm bummed out. This was supposed to be the highlight of my offseason ... and it's not happening.

Next year maybe, Robertas.

ducks
07-14-2006, 07:58 PM
I doubt spurs ever sign him now

40 inch vertical
07-14-2006, 07:59 PM
I doubt spurs ever sign him now

I'm still going to hope. Hopefully all the good will shown before will prevail after the sting of these negotiations go away.

ducks
07-14-2006, 08:01 PM
the guy is unthankfull the spurs paid for him to get well and so he could walk
and was worried about playing time

Mr. Body
07-14-2006, 08:06 PM
I also don't think he'll ever be a Spur, but I wish him well.

40 inch vertical
07-14-2006, 08:11 PM
the guy is unthankfull the spurs paid for him to get well and so he could walk
and was worried about playing time

That's a wholly unsubstantiated (and I would think incorrect) thing to say about his gratitude. As far as playing time goes, I'm not buying into that. He's used to splitting a lot of time, why would he not expect the same or more here? I think that was the normal posturing that goes on at signing time.

furry_spurry
07-14-2006, 09:05 PM
Why...

When a team does what it does, people call it a "business decision" and say that it is acceptable.

When a player looks out for his own interests, he is greedy and selfish and should have taken whatever he was offered. Can't he make a "business decision" as well.

Like with the Bruce interview- he seems to understand the Spurs making a business decision to get rid of Rasho but then faults Nazr for choosing to go to Detroit. If the Spurs owed Rasho nothing then Nazr owed the Spurs nothing. It's a business- right??

ducks
07-14-2006, 09:11 PM
he got a offer and turned it down and signed a one year deal
worth a whole 2 million dollars for one year
spurs offer had to be more guaranteed money then that
might take 2 years but still he would have a chance at a much bigger payday later

see you later ungratefully bastered

40 inch vertical
07-14-2006, 09:30 PM
.. still think he got caught up in some posturing, only the Spurs weren't playing.

exstatic
07-14-2006, 09:40 PM
When a player looks out for his own interests, he is greedy and selfish and should have taken whatever he was offered. Can't he make a "business decision" as well.
The Spurs paid to put Humpty Dumpty back together again after his own version of a Ben Roethlisberger incident, so yes, a little gratitude was probably in order.

As for our reputation in Europe being tarnished, being drafted is part of the price of admission to the NBA. Deal with it. Second round picks have something to prove before they hit the jackpot. Even if they offered Javtokas the LLE ($1.75M), that's still more than a mid to late first rounder makes. They are not in a postion to dictate terms if they want to play in the NBA one day. I'm sure Isaiah would have caved, but then again, his payroll is $90M+ and his team is shit. Not a model I want to follow.

Obstructed_View
07-14-2006, 09:40 PM
.. still think he got caught up in some posturing, only the Spurs weren't playing.
Posturing is a good word. Didn't his camp report that the Spurs never offered him a contract? Is that possible after they negotiated for two days?

blackbucket
07-14-2006, 09:50 PM
see you later ungratefully bastered

:lol

See how the Spurs are able to turn a cute little duck against a player for making a decision that is best for him!

Spurs FO are a bunch of bastereds!

itzsoweezee
07-14-2006, 09:52 PM
The Spurs paid to put Humpty Dumpty back together again after his own version of a Ben Roethlisberger incident, so yes, a little gratitude was probably in order.

As for our reputation in Europe being tarnished, being drafted is part of the price of admission to the NBA. Deal with it. Second round picks have something to prove before they hit the jackpot. Even if they offered Javtokas the LLE ($1.75M), that's still more than a mid to late first rounder makes. They are not in a postion to dictate terms if they want to play in the NBA one day. I'm sure Isaiah would have caved, but then again, his payroll is $90M+ and his team is shit. Not a model I want to follow.

don't worry, the spurs are getting there - the "shit" part that is. unless they can tank another season, don't expect much once the duncan years are through.

ducks
07-14-2006, 09:56 PM
spurs offered him a contract

ducks
07-14-2006, 09:58 PM
getting paid 2 million for one year (if he gets injured he is toast)
or signing a bigger 2 or 3 year guarantee contract that is more then that
humm I wonder what is better....
also he has a bigger shot at getting a bigger payday later in nba

ducks
07-14-2006, 10:00 PM
his agent said never a serious offer. I bet it was a offer. Then jav acted surprised that after nazr and rasho left that spurs did not offer him the the full mle.
HE WANTED MORE MONEY
ungratefully..........................

ducks
07-14-2006, 10:03 PM
spurs said that he was never a starter
he was always a back
dude wanted to play
PUBLICALLY HE CRIED ABOUT PLAYING TIME
I think the contract offer was a pr move because fans watched him a long time and wanted to see him in a spur uniform.
Spur players do not whine in the press about playing time

ducks
07-14-2006, 10:04 PM
1.75 million is CLOSE TO his 1.6 million euro's he is getting
1.6 million euros is 2 million and alitte change
do not believe me go to google type in foreign currency converty

ducks
07-14-2006, 10:05 PM
time to package scola and him together and trade them

E20
07-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Luis Scola and Robertas Javtokas were two of Spurstalk biggest nutter-overers, but overtime Spurs FO kicks 'em in the ass over and over making mostly everybody sick of them and not wanting them anymore.

Winnipeg_Spur
07-14-2006, 10:06 PM

Yeah, I agree. If this guy's all that, why not take the LLE for two years or whatever to break in and then collect your big paycheck from some team or another (not necessarily us) once you've proven yourself?

exstatic
07-14-2006, 10:07 PM
don't worry, the spurs are getting there - the "shit" part that is. unless they can tank another season, don't expect much once the duncan years are through.
That could be as far away as 7-8 years. Robinson played to that age with an extremely painful back, and Tim suffers no major health problems like that. Big men are durable and age well if they take care of themselves.

ducks
07-14-2006, 10:09 PM
jav brought it on by himself opening his big mouth about playing time
spur did not have anything to do with that

scola I would not mind if he was cheaper but would he be happy playing 8-10 minutes a game
spurs do not think he can play with duncan

Mr. Body
07-14-2006, 10:32 PM
you're like a broken record on this one, ducks.

40 inch vertical
07-14-2006, 10:33 PM

Still not buying it. I think he is thankful for all of that stuff that happened (how could he not be), just got caught in a situation where he (or really his agent) was trying to negotiate a better deal for him.

Actually, Javtokas might be in a better position had he not been drafted. Another team probably would have given him the money he seeks as a free agent. So, no, I don't think being drafted is part of the price of admission to the NBA. Lots of Euro free agents get inked all the time for better contracts than was offered. The Spurs have at least one of them.

boutons_
07-14-2006, 10:50 PM
Whatever Spurs paid for Robertas was a tax-deductible business expense.

The Spurs were taking care of their investment, not a person.

You guys make it sound like Pop went around hat in hand and took up a collection from the Spurs' personal, after-tax checking accounts.

ducks
07-14-2006, 10:52 PM
good
ungratefully bastered

Quadzilla99
07-14-2006, 11:00 PM
I agree with you 40 inch vertical. I was looking forward to seeing him over here. The NBA needs to set salaries for the 2nd round like they do for the 1st. Or the Spurs will continue to draft players and then get surprised when they expect to earn money comparable to what they are getting paid overseas.

Quadzilla99
07-14-2006, 11:01 PM
good
ungratefully bastered its bastard B-A-S-T-A-R-D.

ChumpDumper
07-14-2006, 11:02 PM
You can't correct ducks.

You can only hope to comprehend him.

horrorshow
07-15-2006, 12:01 AM
at least we got Jacque Vaughn!!!! :smchode: