PDA

View Full Version : Iverson: 'I want to be a Sixer'

ducks
07-14-2006, 10:27 PM
Iverson: 'I want to be a Sixer'

July 14, 2006

AP - Jul 14, 6:51 pm EDT
More Photos

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Despite the persistent trade speculation, Allen Iverson said Friday he wants to stay with the Philadelphia 76ers -- but only if they want him.

"I want to be a Sixer, I have said that since Day 1," Iverson said at a news conference to promote his annual charity softball event. "But if I am not wanted, then I definitely don't want to be a Sixer and I am willing to start my career all over."

The 76ers failed to make the playoffs last season. Almost immediately, speculation began that Iverson, who has spent his 10-year career in Philadelphia, would be dealt. Iverson said he isn't upset with all the talk.

"It's a business. I have some value," Iverson said. "We didn't make the playoffs last year, and when something like that happens, you feel like you got to do something. I don't know why it has to be me, but I guess I have that type of value.

"It's just tough everywhere you go, no matter where in the world, people ask you that same question. I am used to it, but I am also tired of it. Sometimes I even think leaving might not be such a bad thing because I might not have to deal with this every summer. My kids might not have to deal with this, might wife might not have to deal with this. I honestly want to be a Sixer. "

ADVERTISEMENT

Iverson, a seven-time All-Star, was second in the league in scoring last season, averaging a career-best 33.0 points. Kevin Garnett of Minnesota is the only active player who has been with his team longer than Iverson.

Addressing one theory, Iverson said the 76ers' struggles weren't from a lack of chemistry between him and Chris Webber.

"This year everyone talked about Chris and myself not being able to mesh, but we ended up being the highest scoring duo in the league, so obviously we meshed together but there just wasn't the other pieces that we needed," Iverson said. "We didn't get it done as far as stopping people. It makes me feel kind of bad that I had a strong season and we didn't make the playoffs."

Iverson had no preference for a destination team if the 76ers do trade him.

"As long they don't send me to the CBA, I'll play for any team," he said.

ducks
07-14-2006, 10:29 PM
"This year everyone talked about Chris and myself not being able to mesh, but we ended up being the highest scoring duo in the league

E20
07-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Spurs should try to get some trades and get AI and KG.

ducks
07-14-2006, 11:13 PM
that would not work

E20
07-15-2006, 12:21 AM
Yes it would.

jman3000
07-15-2006, 01:09 AM
fabbs proved that Tony Parker could be traded for both AI and Kevin Garnett.

Rip-Hamilton32
07-15-2006, 03:47 AM
fabbs proved that Tony Parker could be traded for both AI and Kevin Garnett.

yeah and the sixers and wolves are gonna share parker?

PaceMonster
07-15-2006, 03:59 AM
maybe u can put kobe in that mix

Rip-Hamilton32
07-15-2006, 04:39 PM
lol do you actually think that either of those teams would replace their best player for parker? they may be looking for changes but not a trade that will make their club worse

jman3000
07-15-2006, 09:44 PM
wow dude ... sarcasm ... learn it....

you sure you aren't a mav fan?

trueD
07-16-2006, 01:33 AM
"But if I am not wanted, then I definitely don't want to be a Sixer...
Wah Wah Wah. . .

Whining is so umbecoming of truly great talent.

trueD
07-16-2006, 01:36 AM
http://www.philly.com/mld/dail...s/sports/15035927.htm

Webber still feels unappreciated over flap at final home game
By PHIL JASNER

Nearly 3 months after the fact, it turns out that Chris Webber appreciated the 76ers' Fan Appreciation Night even less than the fans did.

That was the night of the Sixers' final regular-season home game. Webber and Allen Iverson arrived at the Wachovia Center just as the ball was going up against the New Jersey Nets. Neither Webber nor Iverson made an appearance, either to sit on the bench or acknowledge the crowd.

They didn't play the following night in Charlotte, either, in the last game of the season.

"It's over, but if you want the truth, I was made to be a scapegoat," Webber said in an interview on Comcast SportsNet's "Daily News Live."

Webber was speaking from Lake Tahoe, Nev., and will be in Las Vegas from July 28-30 for his "Bada Bling" charity event, designed to raise funds for his foundation.

"I was there the whole game," Webber said. "If you wanted me to come out, I could've come out. I'm a professional if anything, and No. 1, I appreciate my fans more than anything... If I was there the whole game and if I was asked to do something, I very well could have done it.

"The last 5 years, I've probably been hurt two Fan Appreciation Nights, and in Sacramento there's never been a problem. To make it look like I didn't do that for the fans, that ticked me off."

Reached last night, Sixers president and general manager Billy King said in an e-mail response: "Chris was not made a scapegoat. It is unfortunate he feels that way. As an organization, we all have a responsibility to our fans."

Webber said the Sixers knew that neither he nor Iverson would play the final two games, because the team had already been eliminated from qualifying for the playoffs.

Webber, saying he wasn't up to date on the swirling Iverson trade rumors and what the organization was attempting to do, said, as a generalization, "When I was in that situation, that I felt that I had given everything above and beyond what I was called to do [for] an organization... when you hear rumors, any player, you really don't like that.

"So I can just imagine, being all that [Iverson] has done for the city of Philadelphia and the organization, for him to hear the rumors, I'm sure, feels like a slight."

Iverson has scheduled a 4 p.m. news conference today in Washington to promote his charity weekend in that area, including a celebrity softball game tomorrow night, but has indicated he also will address issues with the Sixers.

Webber said Iverson is the reason he agreed to be traded to the Sixers from the Kings a season-and-a-half ago.

"He's the one that called," Webber said. "He's the one that made the trade. I had a [no-]trade clause. I had to accept the trade; people really have to remember that. If I would have said no, the trade wouldn't have happened. He called me later and said his mother was going to cook for me...

"It was because of him, and him only. I'm loyal to a fault, as my mother would say. He's a great player; he brought me there, and hopefully he doesn't have to go."

Whatever might come next, Webber, 33, said: "I plan on playing 4 more years, and I don't have time to rebuild, I don't want to rebuild, I don't want to teach anybody, I don't want to bring anybody up. I want to win a championship. That's what I want to do. I want to win a championship."

trueD
07-16-2006, 01:42 AM
"It's over, but if you want the truth, I was made to be a scapegoat," More wah wah wah . . .

Some over-priveleged basketball players never grow up, such a shame. Two of the best talents in the game and they whine instead of becoming seasoned vets.

This quote says it all:
I don't want to teach anybody, I don't want to bring anybody up. I want to win a championship. Nice.

Webber, take your Badabling Charity shit and shove it up your tight ass where your head resides.

It's so nice to be able to talk dirty here. :lol

Quadzilla99
07-16-2006, 02:08 AM
Webber is nowhere near what he once was. If he was what he was 5 years ago they wouldn't need to trade Iverson.

trueD
07-16-2006, 01:15 PM
Webber is nowhere near what he once was. If he was what he was 5 years ago they wouldn't need to trade Iverson.How so?

Webber was He-man just four years ago, and for all his stats he still is. It's the attitude, plain and simple. When he went to Philly I hoped he could gel with AI. Seems it turned out to be so, negativally speaking. Which, as a perenial Webber non-supporter should make me ecstatic with "I told you so" overtones. But the smear job they are giving to veteran-status NBA PR is annoying. They both have so much heart, WTF?

I wonder which one would go if the waive clause was in effect this year...

REDLION#22
07-16-2006, 04:13 PM
nice article,despite all the rumors i think he will remain in philly,his heart belongs there,and its sad people think kobe should have won the MVP this season,considering that then iverson would have won it in 04-05,but still no matter his team,he is still an elite superstar,he has acomplished everything exept a title...but he wil get it soon...hi hope...

awmyplace
07-16-2006, 04:16 PM
Billy King isn't going to trade Iverson.

Quadzilla99
07-16-2006, 04:18 PM
How so?

Webber was He-man just four years ago, and for all his stats he still is. It's the attitude, plain and simple. When he went to Philly I hoped he could gel with AI. Seems it turned out to be so, negativally speaking. Which, as a perenial Webber non-supporter should make me ecstatic with "I told you so" overtones. But the smear job they are giving to veteran-status NBA PR is annoying. They both have so much heart, WTF?

I wonder which one would go if the waive clause was in effect this year...Have you seen Webber play? He runs with a limp and is shooting in the low 40s which is terrible for a PF. He is nowhere near what he once was.

mabber
07-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Have you seen Webber play? He runs with a limp and is shooting in the low 40s which is terrible for a PF. He is nowhere near what he once was.

True, and it's hard for me to believe that AI actually thinks he could win a title with Webber as his #2 guy. I've heard AI say that he & Webber were the top scoring duo in the league and FO needs to surround the 2 of us with better talent. Now, Webber of 3-4 years paired with AI would be formidable.