PDA

View Full Version : Bowen works hard before U.S. tryouts

Kori Ellis
07-15-2006, 12:04 AM
David Flores: Bowen works hard before U.S. tryouts

Web Posted: 07/14/2006 10:36 PM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA071506.6C.COL.BKNflores.bowen.167070a.html

San Antonio Express-News

A 10-year NBA veteran, Spurs forward Bruce Bowen learned early in his career that resiliency and a strong work ethic are just as essential to a player's success as physical skills.

"You have to keep going no matter how tough it might seem," Bowen said Friday.

Even after turning 35 last month, Bowen remains one of the NBA's top defenders and best-conditioned players.

You haven't really watched a Spurs game until you've focused on Bowen and seen him relentlessly hound such high-scoring players as Ray Allen, Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant and Allen Iverson.

If Bowen were a track athlete, he would be a marathon runner.

"I never ran track in high school, but I always had a lot of endurance," he said after speaking at a Spurs youth camp at Saint Mary's Hall.

Bowen, who lives in Miami in the offseason, returned to San Antonio last week to continue preparing for his quest to make the U.S. team that will play in the World Championships next month in Japan.

Training camp begins Wednesday in Las Vegas.

To hear Bowen tell it, it can't get here fast enough.

"I'm very, very excited because I don't think there's a greater honor than representing your country," Bowen said. "I'm really looking forward to the tryouts. I've been like a kid on Christmas Eve. I can't wait."

Bowen is just the kind of team player the Yanks need to be successful against the vastly improved international competition.

He's always understood his role and doesn't have a problem with getting a limited number of shot opportunities.

Moreover, Bowen can inspire a team with his defensive energy.

"I don't know if I'll make the team, but I'm going to give it all I've got," Bowen said. "You can't be afraid to fail and compete."

An affable guy with a nice sense of humor, Bowen was a hit with his audience Friday. He spoke for about 20 minutes and took questions from the boys and girls in the camp.

Among other things, Bowen expressed his thoughts on the disappointment of falling to the Dallas Mavericks in the Western Conference semifinals and the challenge of guarding 7-footer Dirk Nowitzki.

"The worst loss was the last loss to Dallas," Bowen said, referring to the Mavericks' 119-111 overtime victory in Game 7. "We should have won, but it didn't happen."

Bowen said the defeat has given him added incentive during offseason workouts.

"I've always taken the approach that I can learn from mistakes," he said. "A disappointing loss like we had against Dallas can be a motivating factor. You go back and think of things you could have done to help your team win."

Bowen talked about the thin margin that often separates victory and defeat, using the Mavericks' 104-103 victory over the Spurs in Game 3 as an example.

Nowitzki, guarded by Bowen, hit two free throws with 7.9 seconds left after being fouled while rebounding a missed shot by Jerry Stackhouse.

"Had I boxed out Dirk in Game 3, we would have won the game," he said. "But I got caught watching Stackhouse's shot, and Dirk beat me to the basket. He got inside position on me, and there was nothing I could do."

Bowen repeatedly stressed the importance of personal accountability and the will to prepare physically and mentally.

"I don't think I'm a great basketball player, but I try to get better each season and take pride in working hard," he said.

Turning to the Spurs' offseason, Bowen expressed confidence the team's front office will sign a center to replace Rasho Nesterovic and Nazr Mohammed.

"Sometimes guys step up," he said. "There's not a need to panic."

Bowen might consider becoming a motivational speaker after he retires from pro basketball. Considering how he kept his audience's attention Friday, he would do quite well.

And get better each year.

Kori Ellis
07-15-2006, 12:05 AM
Bowen repeatedly stressed the importance of personal accountability and the will to prepare physically and mentally.

Very admirable. Sometimes NBA basketball players can't handle accepting personal fault.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-15-2006, 12:07 AM
I think we're all in agreement that Bruce Bowen is a class act.

Spurologist
07-15-2006, 12:08 AM
Sig

furry_spurry
07-15-2006, 12:17 AM
I actually was disappointed in Bruce today- something I have never said. I thought his comments about Nazr were tacky, and he appeared to be a a pawn of the Spurs public relations machine. When Rasho got traded, Bruce was all over the news talking about how it is a business and players have to understand, but when Nazr chooses to leave, all the sudden it is personal and Bruce is disappointed in Nazr-- because his teammate chose to go elsewhere- that the Spurs got him a championship and he bolted to Detroit. As I said in the other thread- if it's just a business to the owners than why can't it be just a job to the players?? Management can look out for the bottom line and that is acceptable but a player who looks out for himself is greedy and selfish. It just appeared to me to be a response to the public concerns about the off-season and so they get Bruce to talk about how the Spurs expected Nazr to come back and are so upset with him for his betrayal. It seemed an attempt to deflect the blame off the Spurs and place it at Nazr's feet- ironic given that Bruce was talking about taking responsibility.

jman3000
07-15-2006, 12:26 AM
If I'm not mistaken his major is in public relations (something along those lines) and I'm not surprised he would act as a quasi mouthpiece for the Spurs. It wouldn't surprise me if once he retires he takes up a position in the front office in some form.

Das Texan
07-15-2006, 12:29 AM
Bruce is one of my favorite Spurs ever and you cant discount the importance he has on this team. Awesome guy in all ways.

All the accolades he earns in this league will be well earned after all the hard work he has put in.

milkyway21
07-15-2006, 01:39 AM
Bruce might make the U.S. team now that many have begged off including-Paul Pierce, Billups, Odom bec. of his child's death, Redd who's getting married, Reddick and even Oden bec of fractured wrists.

hope he can make it, it excites me to watch the World with more Spurs playing.

Behrooz24
07-15-2006, 01:41 AM
I actually was disappointed in Bruce today- something I have never said. I thought his comments about Nazr were tacky, and he appeared to be a a pawn of the Spurs public relations machine. When Rasho got traded, Bruce was all over the news talking about how it is a business and players have to understand, but when Nazr chooses to leave, all the sudden it is personal and Bruce is disappointed in Nazr-- because his teammate chose to go elsewhere- that the Spurs got him a championship and he bolted to Detroit. As I said in the other thread- if it's just a business to the owners than why can't it be just a job to the players?? Management can look out for the bottom line and that is acceptable but a player who looks out for himself is greedy and selfish. It just appeared to me to be a response to the public concerns about the off-season and so they get Bruce to talk about how the Spurs expected Nazr to come back and are so upset with him for his betrayal. It seemed an attempt to deflect the blame off the Spurs and place it at Nazr's feet- ironic given that Bruce was talking about taking responsibility.

Rasho didn't decide to leave the Spurs, he got traded. Nazr made the choice to leave the Spurs, the team that got him out of the hellhole also known as the Knicks organization. I'm sure that Nazr has bonded with the rest of the Spurs players and management for the past season and a half leading to a closeknit brotherhood. So I'd feel pissed to if one of my 'bros' left my side. Ya feels me?

sghspurs
07-15-2006, 01:42 AM
bruce is the man. i gain more respect for him every time he's interviewed.

milkyway21
07-15-2006, 01:59 AM
i want them to ask Bruce what's his game plan on how to stop Manu or slow Tony?

:lol

ChumpDumper
07-15-2006, 02:14 AM
Bruce speaks for himself.

velik_m
07-15-2006, 02:26 AM
Rasho will kick his ass! :drunk

milkyway21
07-15-2006, 02:28 AM
Rasho will kick his ass! :drunkyou bet? :madrun

Quadzilla99
07-15-2006, 02:28 AM
Hopefully he can win DPOY this year he's been very close the last 2 years and Ben's team is unlikely to win 64 games again. Artest will campaign for himself and get a lot of votes but it would be nice to see him win it at least once in his career.

The Genius
07-15-2006, 02:53 AM
Sorry Ben, after reading that, Bruce should've been DPOY. [Yeah, I'm still pissed]. Bruce strives for his team.

T Park
07-15-2006, 02:56 AM
thought his comments about Nazr were tacky, and he appeared to be a a pawn of the Spurs public relations machine

:lmao

Bowen just pawn in game of life....

Not tacky at all, he spoke the truth.

But of course, with everything, you have your head up your "ownership hating" ass.

spurschick
07-15-2006, 07:41 AM
Bruce is not a "quasi mouthpiece" or a part of any "public relations machine" other than that he steps up to represent in the community whenever he can. He has been back to California and Miami already this summer and has continued his Get Fit with Bruce and Buddy program here, including yesterday at Spectrum Rogers Ranch. He truly gives his time and energy back and does so because he wants to. If he were a pawn of the FO, you would have heard him toe the company line on Nazr, but he spoke his mind and his heart and I have nothing but respect for him.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-15-2006, 09:13 AM
Bruce might make the U.S. team now that many have begged off including-Paul Pierce, Billups, Odom bec. of his child's death, Redd who's getting married, Reddick and even Oden bec of fractured wrists.

hope he can make it, it excites me to watch the World with more Spurs playing.
Well then,

C Stoudemire/Bosh
PF Howard/Brand/Marion
SF James/Anthony/Bowen
SG Wade/Johnson
PG Paul/Arenas
IR Morrison
IR2 Ridnour
IR3 J. Howard

velik_m
07-15-2006, 09:24 AM
Well then,

C Stoudemire/Bosh
PF Howard/Brand/Marion
SF James/Anthony/Bowen
SG Wade/Johnson
PG Paul/Arenas
IR Morrison
IR2 Ridnour
IR3 J. Howard

there's no IR, 12 players that's it.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-15-2006, 09:37 AM
there's no IR, 12 players that's it.
Well then cut those.

polandprzem
07-15-2006, 09:38 AM
Anybody who will send me a Bruce Bowen Jersey will be loved by me

SCdac
07-15-2006, 10:00 AM
Speaking of the USA team, I'm glad Kirk Hinrich decided to try out after all. He's def better than Ridnour... I'd like to see a PG duo of Paul/Hinrich, while moving Arenas to backup Wade up at SG.

furry_spurry
07-15-2006, 11:05 AM
Bruce is not a "quasi mouthpiece" or a part of any "public relations machine" other than that he steps up to represent in the community whenever he can. He has been back to California and Miami already this summer and has continued his Get Fit with Bruce and Buddy program here, including yesterday at Spectrum Rogers Ranch. He truly gives his time and energy back and does so because he wants to. If he were a pawn of the FO, you would have heard him toe the company line on Nazr, but he spoke his mind and his heart and I have nothing but respect for him.
And we all know who you work for. :lol

People have missed the entire point. It is about having two sets of standards. If you are disappointed about losing a teammate- you would be disappointed about it however you lose him. But Bruce towed the company line when Rasho was traded-- was he saying how upset he was then about the decision by the Spurs- no. He was talking about it being a business. Well, Nazr made a business decision to go where he not only would get paid more, but where he felt he was actually WANTED. Who's to blame him? Don't you think maybe the lack of loyalty Nazr watched the Spurs display to Malik and Rasho influenced his own feelings and opinions about the Spurs? Maybe watchig the whole Scola fiasco from up close impacted his views and his belief that the Spurs only look out for themselves- so why shouldn't he?

Kori Ellis
07-15-2006, 11:06 AM

She doesn't work for the Spurs.

furry_spurry
07-15-2006, 11:14 AM
She doesn't work for the Spurs.
Thought she did. Why does it say "ss&e owns me" then?

Either way- I lost a lot of respect for Bruce- you just don't make public comments like that about a friend. You make them in private unless you are doing FO damage control.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2006, 11:26 AM
I actually was disappointed in Bruce today- something I have never said. I thought his comments about Nazr were tacky, and he appeared to be a a pawn of the Spurs public relations machine.

Ever stop to think that maybe Nazr and Bowen had talked and Nazr had told him how much he loved the team, his teammates, etc. and wanted to be here for the rest of his career, only to turn around and leave?

Especially when it's to a team that you went head to head for a title with, and one that you could see again?

I'll cut you some slack, you've probably never played competitive sports in your life, because you obviously don't understand.

velik_m
07-15-2006, 12:07 PM

People have missed the entire point. It is about having two sets of standards. If you are disappointed about losing a teammate- you would be disappointed about it however you lose him. But Bruce towed the company line when Rasho was traded-- was he saying how upset he was then about the decision by the Spurs- no. He was talking about it being a business. Well, Nazr made a business decision to go where he not only would get paid more, but where he felt he was actually WANTED. Who's to blame him? Don't you think maybe the lack of loyalty Nazr watched the Spurs display to Malik and Rasho influenced his own feelings and opinions about the Spurs? Maybe watchig the whole Scola fiasco from up close impacted his views and his belief that the Spurs only look out for themselves- so why shouldn't he?

exactly, spurs must show loyalty, if they expect loyalty from others. Who's to say Nazr's contract wouldn't suddenly become a burden to spurs or they would simply trade him away for someone they think would be a better fit. And then Nazr would end up in a crapy team with less money and no shot at championship. It's buisness - he took more money, and hopefully he will be more appreciated in Detroit.

furry_spurry
07-15-2006, 12:12 PM
If that were the case, wouldn't Bruce have spoken from his heart when Rasho got traded and said how upset he was- Rasho was here longer than Nazr and they had been through more together than Bruce and Nazr had. They went through 0.4 together... Did you ever think maybe Rasho loved his teammates and they loved him? If Bruce had not said what he said when Rasho was traded, I might cut him some slack, but he went on about it being a business and not personal... Well, you can't have it both ways. Is it a business or is it personal?

As for competitive sports, I have played them- had family members and close friends play them- and been a part of them my entire life. Teams use the player for whatever purposes they have at the time and easily discard them when they are through.

Who's to say Nazr's contract wouldn't suddenly become a burden to spurs or they would simply trade him away for someone they think would be a better fit. And then Nazr would end up in a crapy team with less money and no shot at championship.
EXACTLY. It happened to Malik, who was here a long time and well-loved- and it happened to Rasho who took $10M less to come here, so why would Nazr think it wouldn't happen to him, as well.

spurschick
07-15-2006, 01:47 PM
Thought she did. Either way- I lost a lot of respect for Bruce- you just don't make public comments like that about a friend. You make them in private unless you are doing FO damage control.

Unless you tapped Bruce's phone or planted a chip in his head to monitor his every move and word, you have no idea what kind of relationship he had with Nazr or any kind of conversation they had leading up to Nazr's departure. I understand your knee-jerk reaction to Bruce's comments, but you should take a moment to realize that you don't know any of the backstory.

ChumpDumper
07-15-2006, 03:00 PM
Damn, folks take these things way too seriously.

greens
07-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Thought she did. Either way- I lost a lot of respect for Bruce- you just don't make public comments like that about a friend. You make them in private unless you are doing FO damage control.

There is a huge difference between Nazr WANTING to leave...and Rasho being TRADED...One is a choice, the other one is a requirement...

Nazr was offered an extension earlier this year from the Spurs, and he had turned it down. Even though, he was able to win one championship with the Spurs and has been given good amount of money. But just like a lot of other players, he wanted more money. That's his choice. But you've got to admit that your teammates who count on you will be very disappointed if you CHOOSE to leave knowing that you are needed very much so.

Bruce is not a pawn of anyone...He speaks his mind, always. And if anyone knows him, they know that he is very honest. He means what he says. Many peope forget that Bruce had AGREED to take TWO paycuts for the GOOD of the team (so that Manu could be signed years ago, etc..), he had ALWAYS puts his team and what they need first and foremost. That's a vary rare quality in basketball players. Many players just want to get paid and don't really care about their team, their community, etc...So I think in his eyes, Nazr did not consider his team...He wanted more money and so he left, very simple. By the way, I've always liked Nazr a great deal and I am very sad to see him go. But I just see WHY Bruce would be disappointed since the Spurs are known for being a TEAM, where everyone sacrifices, and where there are no individuals...So he expressed his dissapointment in Nazr leaving...There is nothing wrong with that...Nazr could have acted like Bruce, and agreed to sign that extension for whatever amount of money the Spurs were able to give him at the time...

As for Rasho, that's a different story. Rasho is a very nice guy, but is he REALLY worth all that money? I don't think so. He was traded for the GOOD of the team, so his LONG/HIGH paying contract would finally be dissolved...and we would be able to get more players and more contracts. That's the way I see it. There was nothing personal about that. It was more about his contract which has caused the Spurs organizations a lot of trouble as it is...

Anyway, thanks to the poster for posting this awesome article! I just can't believe that some people are able to criticize it...

Regardless, Bruce is and will always be a class act. GO BRUCE! He's awesome!

Bob Lanier
07-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Damn, isn't there a clause in his contract that Bowen can't waste the final years of his career by burning himself out in the summer?

spurschick
07-15-2006, 07:35 PM
Damn, isn't there a clause in his contract that Bowen can't waste the final years of his career by burning himself out in the summer?

He wouldn't be so busy if he didn't love giving back. I wouldn't call it burnout if you love what you're doing.

myhc
07-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Well then,

C Stoudemire/Bosh
PF Howard/Brand/Marion
SF James/Anthony/Bowen
SG Wade/Johnson
PG Paul/Arenas
IR Morrison
IR2 Ridnour
IR3 J. Howard

Do you guys see Amare playing? I know he's in summer leagues now and getting into game shape but he's still not 100% by all accounts. I wonder if he will be by August because with Kobe out now, we're going to need him.

Doc Jerome
07-15-2006, 08:35 PM
Class Act. :fro

furry_spurry
07-16-2006, 12:23 AM
There is a huge difference between Nazr WANTING to leave...and Rasho being TRADED...One is a choice, the other one is a requirement...

Nazr was offered an extension earlier this year from the Spurs, and he had turned it down. Even though, he was able to win one championship with the Spurs and has been given good amount of money. But just like a lot of other players, he wanted more money. That's his choice. But you've got to admit that your teammates who count on you will be very disappointed if you CHOOSE to leave knowing that you are needed very much so.

Bruce is not a pawn of anyone...He speaks his mind, always. And if anyone knows him, they know that he is very honest. He means what he says. Many peope forget that Bruce had AGREED to take TWO paycuts for the GOOD of the team (so that Manu could be signed years ago, etc..), he had ALWAYS puts his team and what they need first and foremost. That's a vary rare quality in basketball players. Many players just want to get paid and don't really care about their team, their community, etc...So I think in his eyes, Nazr did not consider his team...He wanted more money and so he left, very simple. By the way, I've always liked Nazr a great deal and I am very sad to see him go. But I just see WHY Bruce would be disappointed since the Spurs are known for being a TEAM, where everyone sacrifices, and where there are no individuals...So he expressed his dissapointment in Nazr leaving...There is nothing wrong with that...Nazr could have acted like Bruce, and agreed to sign that extension for whatever amount of money the Spurs were able to give him at the time...

As for Rasho, that's a different story. Rasho is a very nice guy, but is he REALLY worth all that money? I don't think so. He was traded for the GOOD of the team, so his LONG/HIGH paying contract would finally be dissolved...and we would be able to get more players and more contracts. That's the way I see it. There was nothing personal about that. It was more about his contract which has caused the Spurs organizations a lot of trouble as it is...

Anyway, thanks to the poster for posting this awesome article! I just can't believe that some people are able to criticize it...

Regardless, Bruce is and will always be a class act. GO BRUCE! He's awesome!
Again- you have missed the whole issue of the double standard.

You are saying-- Nazr leaves of HIS own choice= BAD Nazr
Rasho leaves because of the Spurs choice= GOOD Spurs

The team is permitted to be selfish and do whatever it wants, but the players are supposed to sacrifice??

As for all the stories about the money Bruce sacrificed- I remind people- Rasho left $10M in Minnesota to join the Spurs. Was this financial sacrifice rewarded with loyalty- no. Why then should Nazr make the same sacrifice? So in a couple of years he can be blasted for having a burdensome contract- that is actually less than what he was offered by another team- and then be traded to some team that hasn't made the play-offs in years.

I am amazed that anyone who watched the Spurs this season up close and personal could in any way be surprised that Nazr left. That is why I found Bruce's comments disingenuous.

angel_luv
07-16-2006, 08:20 AM
I hope Bruce has a fantastic olympic experience. I think he is great.

angel_luv
07-16-2006, 08:22 AM
Training camp begins Wednesday in Las Vegas.

Team planning to work hard and play hard, eh? :lol

greens
07-16-2006, 07:57 PM
I hope Bruce has a fantastic olympic experience. I think he is great.

I would love to see him guard Manu...That would be great! This is so exciting!

GrandeDavid
07-16-2006, 08:10 PM
I simply cannot wait for the World Championships to start just to see Bowen play. I hope he's valued by the coaches and gets some minutes.

Obstructed_View
07-16-2006, 08:50 PM
I would love to see him guard Manu...That would be great! This is so exciting!
I hope they talk trash to each other the whole time, too.

raspsa
07-16-2006, 09:10 PM
One can understand BB's enthusiasm for his once-in-a-lifetime to compete for a slot on the US team. I wish him luck and just hope he doesn't get injured and has enough gas in the tank come next season.

CaptainLate
07-17-2006, 03:01 PM
I think we're all in agreement that Bruce Bowen is a class act.

Yes...but I hope he doesn't make it. He needs to rest his 35 yr old body. If he makes it and is a step slower in the '06-'07 season, we're in trouble. :depressed

greens
07-19-2006, 01:03 AM
Yes...but I hope he doesn't make it. He needs to rest his 35 yr old body. If he makes it and is a step slower in the '06-'07 season, we're in trouble. :depressed

I wouldn't worry about that...He's is considered one of the best conditioned players in the NBA. He knows exeptionally well how to take care of his body/etc...

Plus it is indeed his once in a lifetime opportunity to play in the World Nationals/Olympics/etc...He definitely might not ever get the chance to do that...Plus Manu was able to win the Olympic medal, and then have enough energy to help us get the win in 2005...

I hope he makes it and just takes really good care of himself...Cuz I agree we REALLY need him at his best in order for us to even have a shot at winning another championship this upcoming year...So yeah, I'm happy for him...just please don't get injured or over work yourself, Bruce!