PDA

View Full Version : A Thought

Spurs16212
07-16-2006, 11:43 AM
This is just a thought... It may be good or bad, but I would like your feedback... Charlotte is below the salary cap minimum and is willing to take a contract and send a 1st round pick in return... If we can get their 1st round pick for next year with no conditions... should we send Brent Barry and/or Eric Williams? Isn't the draft going to be deep next season? They are projected to be one of the worst teams in the league, we could have a chance to have one of the top picks.

Bruno
07-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Barry and Williams aren't good enough to get a lottery pick.

But Barry to Charlotte is a quite good idea : a trade like Barry for Jumaine Jones (S&T) is a good trade for both sides.

Spurs16212
07-16-2006, 11:55 AM
That is a good idea as well. I thought of this one because it gets Charlotte over the minimum and they would get a solid veteran like Barry and an expiring contract in Williams.

But Jones for Barry is a good idea as well.

Bruno
07-16-2006, 12:02 PM
Melvin Ely is (S&T) is another solution too.
Being under the minimum salary isn't the end of the world for Charlotte too.

Spurs16212
07-16-2006, 12:04 PM
True...

exstatic
07-16-2006, 12:38 PM
Melvin Ely is (S&T) is another solution too.
Uh, actually it is. They get fined if they don't hit the minimum NBA team salary. Sterling used to do some weird shit back in the day for the Clips to hit that goal, so I can only assume that the consequences are non-trivial if a cheap bastard like Sterling strives to meet that goal.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-16-2006, 12:42 PM

Um, yeah it is.

Bruno
07-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Uh, actually it is. They get fined if they don't hit the minimum NBA team salary.

In the event that, by the conclusion of a Salary Cap Year, a Team has failed to make aggregate Salary payments and/or incur aggregate Salary obligations equal to or greater than the applicable Minimum Team Salary for that Salary Cap Year, the NBA shall cause such Team to make payments equal to the shortfall (to be disbursed to the players on such Team pro rata or in accordance with such other formula as may be reasonably determined by the Players Association).

minimum salary is around $40M this year.
If Charlotte payroll is $40M, the owner will spend $40M
If Charlotte payroll is $35M, the owner will spend $40M

There is no edge to be over the minimum salary if players that brings you over it don't help you.

Big P
07-16-2006, 01:11 PM
MJ got the ok from Johnson(the owner) to spend some cash this summer...I'm sure they will be making some moves soon.