PDA

View Full Version : spurs preparing to handle lux tax and max contract

clubalien
07-16-2006, 02:10 PM
with the spurs paying
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm

so much currently #7 in the league and paying lux tax this last year are the spurs worried that after ian's rookie contract expires they will have to shell out MAX salary for him. Like lebron and wade's teams had to.

along with paying tonyparker and other players we end up picking up We probaly will have salary out pace the cap growing

Therefore the having to pay a max salary out to ian after his rookie contract might be why we didn't want to offer player 5 year MLE deals But only smaller year deals.

Holt just doesn't want to be in a made lux tax situation when ians pay day comes due.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-16-2006, 02:12 PM
So are we good for next year?

wildbill2u
07-16-2006, 02:18 PM
What contract with Ian? Why would we think that a max contract would be in the offing for a young player who most people say is still trying to learn how to play basketball?

clubalien
07-16-2006, 02:27 PM
$61,036,696
is how much hoops says we will pay without any centers on our team. Remember we have two we made offers to right now.

clubalien
07-16-2006, 02:29 PM
but like I said waht is more important is the future years

since we offered the full MLE just not the full years. so what is more important is what we will be paying in the future

Bruno
07-16-2006, 02:30 PM
Are you drunk ?

clubalien
07-16-2006, 02:33 PM
no look at our salalries

other than tim, manu, and tony no one has a longterm contract

and all those 3 salaries end the same year except tonys
and tony is likely to get a raise even more after his contract is up

Bruno
07-16-2006, 02:39 PM
1) Mahinmi hasn't played a single minute in nba and you start to speak about a max contract. :spin
2) Rookies contracts are 4 years long, Mahinmi first year of his max contract (if he get a max contract extension) will be 2010/2011 and only Parker is under contract in 2010/2011.

Luxury Tax is a concern for Spurs but it's not related with Mahinmi.

Bruno
07-16-2006, 02:41 PM
BTW, if Spurs get Butler and Elson they will be $500k over the Lux tax threshold. It's a sign that Spurs have some moves in mind.

strangeweather
07-16-2006, 02:46 PM
BTW, if Spurs get Butler and Elson they will be $500k over the Lux tax threshold. It's a sign that Spurs have some moves in mind.
Of course, if they can't find the right deal, the fallback plan could be something as simple as a Williams buyout.

Solid D
07-16-2006, 02:50 PM
Clubalien, are you thinking Ian's 4 years started already because he was a 1st rounder? If so, it hasn't started yet because he is signed with another pro team. The clock on Ian stops if he is signed with another pro team outside the NBA.

If you already know that, then it's the scenario Bruno described.

clubalien
07-16-2006, 02:59 PM
if we signed przy to a FIVE year deal it would go to
2010/11

plus we are likely to pick up other draft picks/free agents later

ians contract starts when he is signed. That is why I think they want him to play in europe this year and not sign him this year.

However, Sa news just came out and said there was a chance ian could sign this year. Which has gone agaits ever plan to have him play 1 year in EU

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-16-2006, 03:06 PM
ans contract starts when he is signed.

This is not true. It doesn't start until he shows up in SA.

At the earliest, Ian would be eligible for an extension in 2011, until then he'll be playing for a relatively small amount (about 1.8 million at the end of his contract).

We have exactly one Spur under contract in 2011 - Tony Parker.

I don't think the Spurs are worried about Ian and the max.

Russ
07-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Here's a strategy -- bring Mahinmi over now so he'll have two so-so years before he gets good -- then maybe he won't be good enough after 4 years to warrant the max. Even if he is, the max cotract four years from now will be less than the max contract five years from now.

In other words, we need this kid now -- especially his quickness and wingspan on D (against Dallas).

strangeweather
07-16-2006, 03:09 PM
This is not true. It doesn't start until he shows up in SA.
Wouldn't that be when we sign him?

spurs_in_7
07-16-2006, 03:21 PM
max contrcact for ian?? :lol
he will be a MLE player at best or a scrub

exstatic
07-16-2006, 03:22 PM
This is one mouseclick I'll never get back.

clubalien, you're a dumbass. Keeping the contracts limited to 2010 has everything to do with duncan's expiring then, and nothing to do with Mahinmi.

freemeat
07-16-2006, 05:37 PM
This guy is clearly drunk and/or retarded...

If Tony and Manu weren't even thinking about getting max deals, how in the hell can a second round pick who has never been on the court in an actual NBA game be thinking about getting it?

I don't know why I'm even responding to this. It's clearly written by someoen with the education level of a 5 year-old drunken retard.

dbestpro
07-16-2006, 05:42 PM
The guy/gal is just learning. Give him/her a break.

exstatic
07-16-2006, 06:23 PM
The guy/gal is just learning. Give him/her a break.
The guy/gal has been posting both here and at SR for years. If he/she hasn't learned yet, they are fair game. C.A. strikes me as a Ducks wannabee.

GrandeDavid
07-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Dude, EASY with the salary predictions for Ian Mahinmi.I'm just hoping the guy will become a serviceable role player, at the very least, MUCH less a good starter or, heaven help us, a future star. :lol

Chill. Thx.

Knoxville Spur
07-16-2006, 09:35 PM
I guess I don't understand the MLE. I thought you were allowed to sign players with it, and not incur the luxury tax. I guess the MLE is just one of the few methods to sign players when you are over the hard cap, which is even lower. The other methods would be the LLE and veteran's minimum, I guess?

Can someone break down how all this works? Thanks.

TDMVPDPOY
07-16-2006, 09:55 PM
we dont have to give him man, when we can just sign n trade after the 4th year :D

Please_dont_ban_me
07-16-2006, 11:57 PM
:lol

Max for Ian? I guess him being assured a spot on our roster would be a start.

Russ
07-17-2006, 12:30 AM
If Tony and Manu weren't even thinking about getting max deals, how in the hell can a second round pick who has never been on the court in an actual NBA game be thinking about getting it?
First round pick, that is. :)

Beer is Good
07-17-2006, 02:04 AM
This guy is clearly drunk and/or retarded...

I don't know why I'm even responding to this. It's clearly written by someoen with the education level of a 5 year-old drunken retard.
:lol :lol I think spelling someone as "someoen" when accusing someone of having a low education level is irony that is damn funny.