PDA

View Full Version : Excerpts From Some Recent Endorsements

Nbadan
10-19-2004, 04:57 PM
William Milliken, Michigan’s Republican Governor from 1969-1982

Women's rights, civil liberties, the separation of church and state, the funding of family planning efforts worldwide -- all have suffered grievously under this president and his administration.

The truth is that Bush does not speak for me or for many other moderate Republicans on a very broad cross-section of issues.

Sen. John Kerry, on the other hand, has put forth a coherent, responsible platform of progressive initiatives that I believe would serve this country well. He wants to balance the budget, step up environmental protection efforts, rebuild our international relationships, support stem-cell research, protect choice and pursue a number of other progressive initiatives that moderates from both parties can support.

As a result, despite my long record of active involvement in the Republican Party, and my intention still to stay in the Republican Party, when I cast my ballot Nov. 2, I will be voting for John Kerry for president.

http://www.freep.com/voices/columnists/emill19_20041019...

Iran, part of the "axis of evil"

The head of Iran's security council said on Tuesday the re-election of President Bush was in Tehran's best interests, despite the administration's “axis of evil” label, accusations that Iran harbors al-Qaida terrorists and threats of sanctions over the country's nuclear ambitions.

Historically, Democrats have harmed Iran more than Republicans, said Hasan Rowhani, head of the Supreme National Security Council, Iran's top security decision-making body.

"We haven't seen anything good from Democrats," Rowhani told state-run television in remarks that, for the first time in recent decades, saw Iran openly supporting one U.S. presidential candidate over another.

"We should not forget that most sanctions and economic pressures were imposed on Iran during the time of Clinton," Rowhani said of the former Democratic president. "And we should not forget that during Bush's era -- despite his hard-line and baseless rhetoric against Iran -- he didn't take, in practical terms, any dangerous action against Iran."

"We do not desire to see Democrats take over," Rowhani said when asked if Iran was supporting Kerry against Bush.

The Bush administration also accuses Iran of pursuing nuclear weapons and sheltering operatives of Osama bin Laden's al-Qaida terror network. Still, Iran was happy to see Bush destroy two big regional enemies -- the Taliban in Afghanistan and Saddam Hussein in Iraq.

Iranian political analyst Mohsen Mofidi said ousting the Taliban and Saddam was the "biggest service any administration could have done for Iran."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041...

Elmer L. Anderson, former Governor of Minnesota, Republican

The present Republican president has led us into an unjustified war -- based on misguided and blatantly false misrepresentations of the threat of weapons of mass destruction. The terror seat was Afghanistan. Iraq had no connection to these acts of terror and was not a serious threat to the United States, as this president claimed, and there was no relation, it's now obvious, to any serious weaponry. Although Saddam Hussein is a frightful tyrant, he posed no threat to the United States when we entered the war. George W. Bush's arrogant actions to jump into Iraq when he had no plan how to get out have alienated the United States from our most trusted allies and weakened us immeasurably around the world.

Also, if there as well had been proper and careful coordination of services and intelligence on Sept. 11, 2001, that horrific disaster might also have been averted. But it was a separate event from this brutal mess of a war, and the disingenuous linking of the wholly unrelated situation in Iraq to 9/11 by this administration is not supported by the facts.

I am more fearful for the state of this nation than I have ever been -- because this country is in the hands of an evil man: Dick Cheney. It is eminently clear that it is he who is running the country, not George W. Bush.

Bush's phony posturing as cocksure leader of the free world -- symbolized by his victory symbol on the aircraft carrier and "mission accomplished" statement -- leave me speechless. The mission had barely been started, let alone finished, and 18 months later it still rages on. His ongoing "no-regrets," no-mistakes stance and untruths on the war -- as well as on the floundering economy and Bush administration joblessness -- also disappoint and worry me.

Republicans of my era and mind-set used to have a humane and reasonable platform. We advocated the importance of higher education, health care for all, programs for children at risk, energy conservation and environmental protection. Today, Bush and Cheney give us clever public relations names for programs -- need I say "No Child Left Behind? -- but a lack of funding to support them. Early childhood education programs and overall health care are woefully underfunded. We have not only the largest number ever of medically uninsured in this nation, our infant mortality rates, once among the lowest in the world, have worsened to 27th.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/562/5029512.html

Johnny Lee Clary, former Elder of the Ku Klux Klan

We have the greatest President this country could ever hope for and we thank God for giving us a man for such a time as this. No other president has ever showed this type of true leadership and has acted with so much integrity!! We LOVE YOU MR. PRESIDENT!!

http://www.johnnyleeclary.com/bush.htm

Al-Qaeda’s Abu Hafs al-Masri Brigades, who took responsibility for the Madrid bombings:

WE WANT BUSH TO WIN

The statement said it supported U.S. President George W. Bush in his reelection campaign, and would prefer him to win in November rather than the Democratic candidate John Kerry, as it was not possible to find a leader "more foolish than you (Bush), who deals with matters by force rather than with wisdom."

In comments addressed to Bush, the group said:

"Kerry will kill our nation while it sleeps because he and the Democrats have the cunning to embellish blasphemy and present it to the Arab and Muslim nation as civilisation."

"Because of this we desire you (Bush) to be elected."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040317/325/eotq9.html

Two Republican ex-governors endorse Kerry, while Bush is supported by Iran, ex-Klansmen, and terrorists.

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2004, 05:00 PM
Lamest. Thread. Ever.

exstatic
10-19-2004, 05:05 PM
Millikin is like Arnold, the old style Republican who isn't tied to the social conservative agenda, and bucks the national party on many issues, including a pro-choice stance.

Speaking of the Governator, did anyone see that he signed a $3B stem cell research bill for Cali?

cnn story on Cali stem cell funding (http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/19/schwarzenegger.stem.ap/index.html)

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2004, 05:21 PM
The two ex-Govs were both Rockefeller Repubs. They'd probably be Demos today.

Lyndon LaRouche is the biggest anti-Semite around and he considers himself a member of the Democrat party. I guess I should start a thread about that.

exstatic
10-19-2004, 05:35 PM
I see you are reading as closely as ever, Matt.

As a result, despite my long record of active involvement in the Republican Party, and my intention still to stay in the Republican Party, when I cast my ballot Nov. 2, I will be voting for John Kerry for president.
So much for They'd probably be Demos today.

Marcus Bryant
10-19-2004, 05:38 PM
Sure, he's remaining a Republican just as Zell Miller says he will be a Democrat until he dies. In case you haven't noticed there aren't many liberal Republicans left just as there aren't many conservative Democrats left.

Hook Dem
10-20-2004, 08:33 AM
"Speaking of the Governator, did anyone see that he signed a $3B stem cell research bill for Cali?" ..........So now he's "okay" in your view? :lol