PDA

View Full Version : British Open

xrayzebra
07-17-2006, 10:32 AM
Okay, sports fans. Who really had ever heard of the golf course they are
playing the British Open at this week. (Hoylake) I sure hadn't.

Is Tiger going to make a showing there? How bout Phil? And of course
will John Daly do anything this year. Guess not.

Tiger is playing with Faldo in the first round. Strange. Faldo is way past
his prime in golf. Except maybe as an announcer, which I am not overly
impressed with that either....

leemajors
07-17-2006, 10:58 AM
faldo probably has a lifetime exemption, can play as long as he likes. anything can happen in the british open, i prefer it to the other majors - it's nice to see pros out there playing in the wind on a links course, it brings a lot of forgotten elements of the game back in - bump and run, creative shotmaking. it will be interesting to see how phil comes out this week, he has already been over for a few practice rounds.

xrayzebra
07-17-2006, 08:09 PM
^^Got to agree with you. Faldo is a past winner of the open as well as Daly. And
the link type situp can give them some problems. Read where there wont be
any bump and run shots. Put it on the green or forget it. But we shall see.

T Park
07-18-2006, 04:17 AM
Ill say a guy like Justin Leonard, or Fred Funk.

Accurate shooters who can keep it down the middle.

Or it could go to some unknown like a Ben Crane, or Charles Howell III.

degenerate_gambler
07-18-2006, 08:49 AM
The weather is supposed to be very un-British Open like from what I've heard. Highs in the 70's and not alot of wind. If that holds up, we should see some good scoring with maybe 15-20 guys within 5 shots of the leader going into Sunday.

You have to figure Monty, Els, Singh, Mickelson and Woods will be in the mix. But this tournament, along with the PGA Championship, are the two most likely for someone to win their first major. So guys like Furyk, A. Scott, Luke Donald or Padraig Harrington are right up there as well.

leemajors
07-18-2006, 09:04 AM
that's too bad, i was hoping for wind and rain.

SoCalSpursFan
07-18-2006, 10:11 AM
Ill say a guy like Justin Leonard, or Fred Funk.

Accurate shooters who can keep it down the middle.

Or it could go to some unknown like a Ben Crane, or Charles Howell III.

If I went to the british open I would def follow Fred Funk wearing a shirt that says "Funk You."

xrayzebra
07-18-2006, 02:33 PM
The weather is supposed to be very un-British Open like from what I've heard. Highs in the 70's and not alot of wind. If that holds up, we should see some good scoring with maybe 15-20 guys within 5 shots of the leader going into Sunday.

You have to figure Monty, Els, Singh, Mickelson and Woods will be in the mix. But this tournament, along with the PGA Championship, are the two most likely for someone to win their first major. So guys like Furyk, A. Scott, Luke Donald or Padraig Harrington are right up there as well.

Monty....nawh. I just cant see him doing that much. Although he should
since he is from that part of the country.

He lets things get into head too much tho. I understand that he just got
through with a divorce so maybe he will calm down some...LOL

degenerate_gambler
07-18-2006, 04:58 PM
Monty....nawh. I just cant see him doing that much. Although he should
since he is from that part of the country.

He lets things get into head too much tho. I understand that he just got
through with a divorce so maybe he will calm down some...LOL

I dont like him, never have...but if he had not have fucked up on 18 at the US Open in the final round, he would have been in a playoff with Ogilvy. He played very well that week. I think he will here too.

tlongII
07-18-2006, 05:52 PM
I'm rooting for Tiger.

clambake
07-19-2006, 10:56 AM
I like Tiger too, but rooting for him is like rooting for the yankees.

tlongII
07-19-2006, 11:33 AM
I like Tiger too, but rooting for him is like rooting for the yankees.

...except that I hate the Yankees.

degenerate_gambler
07-20-2006, 09:44 AM
Alot of the big names went off early this morning and shot very well. If the weather holds up, it going to take -15 at a minimum to win.

Anyways, a no-name from England is in the clubhouse at -5 followed by:

S. Garcia -4
M. Weir -4
E. Els -4
T. Lehman -4
J. Furyk -4
P. Mickelson -3
C. DiMarco -3
F. Couples -2
V. Singh -2

John Daly shot even par today and T. Woods is +1 after 2 holes.

leemajors
07-20-2006, 10:44 AM
this should be interesting. sod bunkers made people paranoid about using a wood off the tee if they are within driving distance, usually you have no play but out sideways. they seem a lot better deterrent for the longer hitters than the masters solution of just making the course longer.

2centsworth
07-20-2006, 01:46 PM
I'm rooting for Tiger.
I want to root for him but he needs to be a man and admit that firing Butch Harmon was the biggest mistake of his career.

Tiger's head has gotten way too big for his game.

degenerate_gambler
07-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Woods eagle on 18 gives him a tie for the lead at -5.

Should be a damn good weekend of golf.

xrayzebra
07-20-2006, 03:08 PM
Woods eagle on 18 gives him a tie for the lead at -5.

Should be a damn good weekend of golf.

Did you see Tiger screw his bunker shot up, then made a great second
out of the bunker and saved par. Cant remember which hole it was on.
But I thought sure, here we go a double at least.....

Faldo is not fairing too well. Last I saw he was about plus two.

Yeah, Tigers present caddie sux. Fluff was a much nicer caddy but he
pissed Tiger off, I think, when he started making the commercials for the
motel chain. I cant wait until some guy in the gallery floors the dude when
he goes over screwing with someone for taking pictures.

SoCalSpursFan
07-21-2006, 05:54 AM
Tiger!!!!!!!!!! Tearin up the course on day 2.

SoCalSpursFan
07-21-2006, 06:59 AM
wow...tiger holed it on 14 for an eagle....

sick.

degenerate_gambler
07-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Woods missing the cut at the US Open might have been the worst thing to happen to the rest of the players.

Dude is back.

austinfan
07-21-2006, 11:39 AM
What time does coverage begin tomorrow (Saturday) morning?

tlongII
07-21-2006, 11:42 AM
I want to root for him but he needs to be a man and admit that firing Butch Harmon was the biggest mistake of his career.

Tiger's head has gotten way too big for his game.

I disagree.

leemajors
07-21-2006, 12:05 PM
I disagree.

i don't like his new instructor, leadbetter. i think butch harmon was much better for him. regardless, tiger has too much talent to not win no matter who is his swing coach.

degenerate_gambler
07-21-2006, 12:17 PM
What time does coverage begin tomorrow (Saturday) morning?

Saturday, July 22
7-9 a.m. ET, TNT
9 a.m.-2:30 p.m., ABC

Sunday, July 23
6-8 a.m. ET, TNT
8 a.m.-1:30 p.m. ET, ABC
5-6 p.m. ET, ABC (trophy presentation, highlights)

austinfan
07-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Saturday, July 22
7-9 a.m. ET, TNT
9 a.m.-2:30 p.m., ABC

Sunday, July 23
6-8 a.m. ET, TNT
8 a.m.-1:30 p.m. ET, ABC
5-6 p.m. ET, ABC (trophy presentation, highlights)

Thanks for the info! :tu Although, ugh. Why does ABC have to carry almost every sporting event I've been interested in over the past few months? First the NBA Finals, then the World Cup and now the British Open.

2centsworth
07-21-2006, 05:11 PM
I disagree.
the proof is in the pudding. Under Harmon Tiger created the Tigerslam. Under Harmon Tiger won the British by 12 or so strokes. Tiger Dominated with Butch. Now Tiger struggles to win.

JoeChalupa
07-23-2006, 12:24 PM
How 'bout that Tiger Woods!!!!

Taco
07-23-2006, 12:25 PM
That was cool

Phil Hellmuth
07-23-2006, 12:56 PM
best golfer ever

T Park
07-23-2006, 12:59 PM
Couldn't help but shed some tears for him there at the end.

So much for the Tiger haters thinking hes a "robot" :rolleyes

leemajors
07-23-2006, 01:05 PM
best golfer ever

i would assume you are talking about ben hogan or jack nicklaus?

TheSanityAnnex
07-23-2006, 01:31 PM
best golfer ever
classic casual golf fan line

Phil Hellmuth
07-23-2006, 02:42 PM

i guess i am so far off. ..

jesus, u guys are quick to punch here. :rolleyes

Taco
07-23-2006, 06:45 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5808658_7_2.jpg

T Park
07-24-2006, 02:08 AM
the reason Tiger is better than Nicklaus and Hogan,

is becaue of the level of competition.

The competition level is absolutely nuts....

1Parker1
07-24-2006, 09:57 AM
the proof is in the pudding. Under Harmon Tiger created the Tigerslam. Under Harmon Tiger won the British by 12 or so strokes. Tiger Dominated with Butch. Now Tiger struggles to win.

:lol You were saying?

1Parker1
07-24-2006, 10:00 AM

Tiger Woods is like the Michael Jordan of Golf. Though he still has a ways to go before his career ends and though there were many greats before him, he is changing the face of the sport of Golf, much like MJ did in the 90's. He's a media darling, has the competition and drive and is a proven winner, and almost anyone in the world knows him and his story by name, even if they've never watched Golf a day in their lives. Very similiar to Jordan and basketball.

tlongII
07-24-2006, 10:27 AM
i don't like his new instructor, leadbetter. i think butch harmon was much better for him. regardless, tiger has too much talent to not win no matter who is his swing coach.

FYI - Hank Haney is his new swing coach, not Leadbetter. I don't question anything Tiger does with his game. It takes a while to become comfortable with a new swing and I think Tiger is starting to find that comfort zone. He is a magnificent athlete and a gold mine as a corporate spokesperson.

1Parker1
07-24-2006, 10:34 AM
Sidenote: I never realized how hot his wife was :wow :lol

http://www.tsn.ca/images/stories/20050602/jd_nordegren_40160.jpg

tlongII
07-24-2006, 11:04 AM
Sidenote: I never realized how hot his wife was :wow :lol

http://www.tsn.ca/images/stories/20050602/jd_nordegren_40160.jpg

Swedish bikini models tend to be hot. :lol

1Parker1
07-24-2006, 11:05 AM
:lol She's a Swedish Bikini Model? I didn't know that...where the heck did the two of them meet?

A Swedish Bikini Model married to a Golf Superstar....guess opposites do really attract :lol

tlongII
07-24-2006, 11:07 AM
:lol She's a Swedish Bikini Model? I didn't know that...where the heck did the two of them meet?

She was a nanny for Jesper Parnevik's kids and Jesper is Swedish. Jesper introduced the two to each other.

Here's another pic...

http://www.crazydevils.ch/elin_nordegren_bild5.jpg

Duncan21
07-24-2006, 11:32 AM
ernie els looks like sloth from the goonies

1Parker1
07-24-2006, 12:41 PM
Who the heck is Jesper Parnevik? :lol

tlongII
07-24-2006, 12:56 PM
Who the heck is Jesper Parnevik? :lol

He's a golfer! Pretty good too. He's known for his crazy looking outfits.

http://www.golfrankindex.com/photos/parnevik_jesper/parnevik_jesper009.jpg

1Parker1
07-24-2006, 01:16 PM
:lol I don't really watch golf...I just happened to have watched the British Open this past weekend cuz I was stuck in a waiting room all day and that's what they had on.

leemajors
07-24-2006, 01:30 PM
He's a golfer! Pretty good too. He's known for his crazy looking outfits.

http://www.golfrankindex.com/photos/parnevik_jesper/parnevik_jesper009.jpg

and he fasts for a week or two every year eating only volcanic sand.

TheSanityAnnex
07-24-2006, 02:03 PM
Tiger Woods is like the Michael Jordan of Golf. Though he still has a ways to go before his career ends and though there were many greats before him, he is changing the face of the sport of Golf, much like MJ did in the 90's. He's a media darling, has the competition and drive and is a proven winner, and almost anyone in the world knows him and his story by name, even if they've never watched Golf a day in their lives. Very similiar to Jordan and basketball.

:lol I don't really watch golf...I just happened to have watched the British Open this past weekend cuz I was stuck in a waiting room all day and that's what they had on.

Please don't try and tell me the who's who of golf when you later admit you don't even watch. I play collegiate golf and am a scratch golfer. I believe I know a tad bit more than you about the game.

My point was Tiger is not to where Nicklaus yet. He will surpass Jack eventually and can then be named the greatest golfer of all time. Until then............he is just the greatest golfer playing right now.

1Parker1
07-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Please don't try and tell me the who's who of golf when you later admit you don't even watch. I play collegiate golf and am a scratch golfer. I believe I know a tad bit more than you about the game.

My point was Tiger is not to where Nicklaus yet. He will surpass Jack eventually and can then be named the greatest golfer of all time. Until then............he is just the greatest golfer playing right now.

Though he still has a ways to go before his career ends and though there were many greats before him, he is changing the face of the sport of Golf, much like MJ did in the 90's

Where am I negating what you said???? All I was pointing out was that to me, it seems like Tiger is the MJ of golf. He's a winner, he's marketable, and he's making Golf popular to watch again. Where did I claim to "know a tad bit more" about golf than you or even "Who's Who in golf" ?? :rolleyes

Taco
07-24-2006, 02:22 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5808654_7_2.jpg http://partysupplieshut.com/tweety/tweety.jpg

I thaw I thaw a putty cat

TheSanityAnnex
07-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Where am I negating what you said???? All I was pointing out was that to me, it seems like Tiger is the MJ of golf. He's a winner, he's marketable, and he's making Golf popular to watch again. Where did I claim to "know a tad bit more" about golf than you or even "Who's Who in golf" ?? :rolleyesIt could have just been that you quoted me and then made your remark that led me to believe you were arguing with me. Sorry. I've been reading awmyplace's shit all morning and I'm a little edgy.

tlongII
07-24-2006, 02:36 PM

I have to disagree with you Spicoli. The only thing Nicklaus has on Woods is more career major championships. Tiger has won a higher percentage of the tournaments he has entered, has set the winning margin record in 3 of the majors, and is the only player in history to win the U.S. Junior Amateur and the U.S. Amateur three consecutive years. And he's only 30 years old! He will surpass Nicklaus mark in a few years, but I am quite comfortable calling him the greatest golfer that ever lived now.

1Parker1
07-24-2006, 02:44 PM
It could have just been that you quoted me and then made your remark that led me to believe you were arguing with me. Sorry. I've been reading awmyplace's shit all morning and I'm a little edgy.

:tu It's cool, I'll let you slide.......this time. :eyebrows

pache100
07-24-2006, 02:53 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5808654_7_2.jpg http://partysupplieshut.com/tweety/tweety.jpg

I thaw I thaw a putty cat

Sergio needs some SERIOUS wardrobe help...I thought after seeing his outfit on Saturday that it couldn't get any worse...then Tweety showed up on Sunday. :lol

TheSanityAnnex
07-24-2006, 02:59 PM
I have to disagree with you Spicoli. The only thing Nicklaus has on Woods is more career major championships. Tiger has won a higher percentage of the tournaments he has entered, has set the winning margin record in 3 of the majors, and is the only player in history to win the U.S. Junior Amateur and the U.S. Amateur three consecutive years. And he's only 30 years old! He will surpass Nicklaus mark in a few years, but I am quite comfortable calling him the greatest golfer that ever lived now.Nicklaus had 71 tour victories, so he's got two things on Woods. We basically agree here. One of us is just waiting for him to surpass the other before handing him the crown.

I've always wondered who truly had the tougher competition. These days, the competition is tougher top to bottom for Tiger, but Nicklaus had to deal with Arnold Palmer, Gary Player and Billy Casper every week.

leemajors
07-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Nicklaus had 71 tour victories, so he's got two things on Woods. We basically agree here. One of us is just waiting for him to surpass the other before handing him the crown.

I've always wondered who truly had the tougher competition. These days, the competition is tougher top to bottom for Tiger, but Nicklaus had to deal with Arnold Palmer, Gary Player and Billy Casper every week.

nicklaus with modern equipment advances would be ridiculous. course conditions have also come a very long way in the last 20-30 years. walter hagen won 11 majors playing in a tuxedo hung over. ben hogan won the bulk of his majors after a major car accident which severely limited his ability to play in many tournaments, and is generally regarded as the best ballstriker of all time. tiger may end up the best, but it is pretty premature to call him that at this point. tlong is just supporting his company's biggest breadwinner, which is understandable.

1Parker1
07-24-2006, 03:51 PM
tlong is just supporting his company's biggest breadwinner, which is understandable.

:lmao :lmao I completely forgot to make that connection!

TheSanityAnnex
07-24-2006, 04:14 PM
nicklaus with modern equipment advances would be ridiculous.Indeed. Imagine his game with the new phyical training routines and swing analyzing equipment. Tiger vs Nicklaus at their primes is a golfer's wet dream.

2centsworth
07-24-2006, 04:46 PM
:lol You were saying?Tiger struggles to Win and he's not as dominant as he was under Butch Harmon.

His narrow victory does nothing to disprove that. However, I'm certaintly not a hater. I'm just a little disappointed he messed with a good thing. With Butch Tiger was on pace to pass Jack by now.

degenerate_gambler
07-24-2006, 04:57 PM
In addition to the Golden Bear winning 18 major championships, he also finished 2nd 19 times and came in 3rd place another 9 times.

Tiger may very well surpass 18 majors, but until he does I'm not quite ready to annoint him "the greatest".

Obstructed_View
07-24-2006, 07:10 PM
It's certainly not out of left field for someone to call Tiger the greatest. At least a case can be made. When someone comes in here and says John Daly is the greatest of all time that will be the time for everyone to descend on them.

tlongII
08-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Tiger just became the youngest golfer ever to win 50 PGA Tour events. He beat Nicklaus's mark by almost 3 years. He was absolutely dominating in the Buick Open over the weekend. There is no question in my mind that we are watching the greatest player of all time.

2centsworth
08-08-2006, 09:34 AM
Tiger has made me eat my words in a span of two months. He's starting to kick butt again.