PDA

View Full Version : SAFD, anyone taking the exam in 2 weeks?

davi78239
07-17-2006, 02:48 PM
I put in as soon as they were accepting applications about a month and half ago. Who else is taking this and has anyone ever taken a test for the Fire Dept.? Thanks.

LuvBones
07-17-2006, 02:53 PM
I'm not taking it but good luck! :)

davi78239
07-17-2006, 03:28 PM
I'm not taking it but good luck! :)

Thanks! I'm gonna need it. I heard that there's always about 1,000 applicants testing, so I definitely have my hands full.

PakiDan
07-17-2006, 03:33 PM
My good friend took it not too long ago. He just started in the academy last week.

tlongII
07-17-2006, 03:38 PM
Isn't Melmart a firewoman/fireman?

Old School Chic
07-17-2006, 07:27 PM
Good luck with your test :tu

RashoFan
07-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Thanks! I'm gonna need it. I heard that there's always about 1,000 applicants testing, so I definitely have my hands full.
Try more like 3000-5000 taking the written test, plus you are put into a lottery. They usually will start processing applicants that score a 93 or better onto the next phase. After that is the physical agility/PAT test and they have workshops available to get you prepared. Good luck on the test. I would take it with you (I would have +5 points being prior military) but they say I am too F*&^ing old..... :madrun
Are you SFFMA or TCFP certified already???

Billy Cobham
07-17-2006, 08:12 PM
Try more like 3000-5000 taking the written test, plus you are put into a lottery. They usually will start processing applicants that score a 93 or better onto the next phase. After that is the physical agility/PAT test and they have workshops available to get you prepared. Good luck on the test. I would take it with you (I would have +5 points being prior military) but they say I am too F*&^ing old..... :madrun
Are you SFFMA or TCFP certified already???

It's Rashofan I was thinking of! Aren't you a firewoman or EMT?

ObiwanGinobili
07-17-2006, 08:19 PM
Emo took it 2 years ago and scored 95.

really really go over the hint & helpers paperwok they gave you when you signed up.
The written test is all about being familiar with thier style of map drawing and questioning.

Good Luck!

ZStomp
07-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Good luck with that.

i hear that one is a bit tough.

RashoFan
07-17-2006, 10:46 PM
Paramedic and Firefighter(volunteer FD)

davi78239
07-18-2006, 08:59 AM
Thanks for all the info so far guys. Keep it coming.

JsnSA
07-18-2006, 10:42 AM
I took the written test and passed it.

One thing that kind of caught me off guard about the written was the memorization section (where you have a few minutes to look at a picture then answer questions about it) was much larger than I thought it would be.

All the sample tests I had taken made that part look easy, but once I got it, it had a whole lot more things to memorize than I expected. The real test was about 4 times larger than the sample tests I had taken.

And don't expect the questions they ask you about that section to relate to what a firefighter should know. What I mean is, when I took the test I concentrated on memorzing things like the direction of the wind, how many people were around, vehicles near by, any children in the area, the trucks that showed up, how many hoses were out and the fire units numbers.

But I didnt pay as much attention to things like the local middle school mascot or other crap that like that...and they actually asked some questions on things like that.

So I would recommend practicing that part a bit because from what I hear practicing that area can reallly make a difference (of course that goes for all areas of the test I guess).

Trainwreck2100
07-18-2006, 10:51 AM
My sister took that and got a 99, than she messed up the physical part, (they stopped making it easier for women, because guys complained) but of all the women there that day she went the furthest. So if you do pass hit the gym.

davi78239
07-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Yea, that memorization part is gonna be a bitch. I bought one of those recommended books at borders and those questions in there seem more intense than the ones given in the practice packet, but that might be a good thing I guess. The memorization ones in the book are also much more difficult than the ones given in the practice guide. They want to know how many exits are visible in the house, how many points of exits did bedroom 1 or 2 have, if this was blocked, then where would you go in this situation type of questions. So, if I were to move on, how many weeks does it take for me to find out? How lengthly is the process and what does the physical test consist of if I made it that far? Thanks.

RashoFan
07-19-2006, 07:34 PM
Yea, that memorization part is gonna be a bitch. I bought one of those recommended books at borders and those questions in there seem more intense than the ones given in the practice packet, but that might be a good thing I guess. The memorization ones in the book are also much more difficult than the ones given in the practice guide. They want to know how many exits are visible in the house, how many points of exits did bedroom 1 or 2 have, if this was blocked, then where would you go in this situation type of questions. So, if I were to move on, how many weeks does it take for me to find out? How lengthly is the process and what does the physical test consist of if I made it that far? Thanks.
I know some guys that went through the process...it could take months (6-8 in some cases)I'll find out more about the PAT...I have some knoweledge but I don't have time right now to post....I'll post more later....

Melmart1
07-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Isn't Melmart a firewoman/fireman?

Que?!

Melmart1
07-19-2006, 07:39 PM

:lol Damn, I responded before I read this post. How on EARTH did you mix up Rashofan and I?