PDA

View Full Version : Diamonds....

Mixability
07-17-2006, 04:15 PM
I knew the thread title would at least catch the ladies attention..........

I want to get different opinions on engagement rings.

My first choice would be a classic round solitaire on a simple platinum band. I've found a few nice rings locally (Helzberg, Kay, etc.) For the carat size I want(at least 1 carat), the price range I can expect to be in is about $3000 -$5000. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to go or not go for a vast selection?

P.S. I don't want to get shot by my future fiance, so don't suggest EZ Pawn, thanks. :)

Gatita
07-17-2006, 04:18 PM
We got mine at Americus Diamonds. You can't go wrong getting it there. Plus, they appraise your diamond, which you can upgrade later on for only 20% of what it is worth. Which of course makes me a happy camper. :)

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-17-2006, 04:19 PM
http://www.delafont.com/comedians/Comedian_Images/r-white2.jpg

"Diamonds... that'll shut her up."

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Sorry, Danyo...I just post what comes to me....not thread crapping.

SpursWoman
07-17-2006, 04:21 PM
I'd love to help ... but I have no experience in this matter. :spin

And judging by the frequency of "Are you looking for a diamond engagement ring?" commercials blasted through my TV every night, if feel I would be remiss if I didn't mention Americus Diamond. They have a pretty huge store over on I10...and they never have sales, because they are already at a low, low price. :lol

Mixability
07-17-2006, 04:21 PM
We got mine at Americus Diamonds. You can't go wrong getting it there. Plus, they appraise your diamond, which you can upgrade later on for only 20% of what it is worth. Which of course makes me a happy camper. :)

I wish I could see some on her finger, but I want it to be a total surprise. I just don't want the diamond to look insanely huge on her finger.......but then again, can a diamond ever be TOO big? :lol

Gatita
07-17-2006, 04:22 PM
I wish I could see some on her finger, but I want it to be a total surprise. I just don't want the diamond to look insanely huge on her finger.......but then again, can a diamond ever be TOO big? :lol

Oh hell no! Mine looked big at first...now I want to upgrade. :lol

Women we are never satisfied.

Mixability
07-17-2006, 04:22 PM
Sorry, Danyo...I just post what comes to me....not thread crapping.

nah, it's cool.

fucker.

:lol

Mixability
07-17-2006, 04:24 PM
I'd love to help ... but I have no experience in this matter. :spin

And judging by the frequency of "Are you looking for a diamond engagement ring?" commercials blasted through my TV every night, if feel I would be remiss if I didn't mention Americus Diamond. They have a pretty huge store over on I10...and they never have sales, because they are already at a low, low price. :lol

Thats the only place I haven't looked, but alot of their rings on their website look too "busy" (bunch of sidestones/design/junk). I just want a big ass diamond ring that'll blind her. :lol

Mixability
07-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Oh hell no! Mine looked big at first...now I want to upgrade. :lol

Women we are never satisfied.

I'd be kind of hurt if she upgraded later on.......

I'd rather buy another "backup" ring.

Gatita
Thats the only place I haven't looked, but alot of their rings on their website look too "busy" (bunch of sidestones/design/junk). I just want a big ass diamond ring that'll blind her. :lol

Believe me they have everything.

Gatita
I'd be kind of hurt if she upgraded later on.......

I'd rather buy another "backup" ring.

Let her pick it out. :)

tlongII
07-17-2006, 04:27 PM
What if she says no?

leemajors
07-17-2006, 04:27 PM
my fiancee preferred a white gold band from james avery for $125. she doesn't like diamonds!

Mixability
07-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Believe me they have everything.

ok, good, cause I'm picky.

Let her pick it out. :)

That would kind of ruin the surprise. But I kind of know what she likes, cause I accidentally on purpose "broke" the TV remote when the Americus Diamond "show" came on, I heard her oooh and ahhh to some. So then I asked her, "Who are you marrying?" :devil

Mixability
07-17-2006, 04:31 PM
What if she says no?

Too bad I don't have your option of pulling another one out of the flock.....

SpursWoman
07-17-2006, 04:32 PM

The baguettes ... I love those. They make it more sparkly. :)

Mixability
07-17-2006, 04:33 PM
my fiancee preferred a white gold band from james avery for $125. she doesn't like diamonds!

No offense, but I'd feel a little bad not spending more. I vaguely remember a rule of thumb about the ring should cost about 3 months salary? or 2?

Mixability
07-17-2006, 04:35 PM
The baguettes ... I love those. They make it more sparkly. :)

Yeah, but I was thinking:

one huge diamond > bunch of smaller ones?

tlongII
07-17-2006, 04:39 PM
No offense, but I'd feel a little bad not spending more. I vaguely remember a rule of thumb about the ring should cost about 3 months salary? or 2?

Is that before or after taxes? Before or after 401K contribution?

Mixability
07-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Is that before or after taxes? Before or after 401K contribution?

rule of thumb, not precise calculation, cotton dick.

Gatita
07-17-2006, 04:41 PM

Get both. :lol

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4165/austintrip200638gn6.jpg

http://img288.imageshack.us/img288/7704/engagement20064ie8.jpg

Mixability
07-17-2006, 04:45 PM
Get both. :lol

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4165/austintrip200638gn6.jpg

http://img288.imageshack.us/img288/7704/engagement20064ie8.jpg

true, but I just don't like how they look, but yeah i know, I won't be wearing it. I could have one custom made, that would make it more unique, which I'd like.

leemajors
07-17-2006, 04:48 PM

none taken. i was surprised myself, but our wedding rings will be simple as well.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-17-2006, 04:48 PM
Mrs. Chopper and my girlfriend are both into the princess cut diamonds right now. They're gorgeous, just like the diamonds, however I'm going to need another job pretty soon to keep these ladies blingified.

Gatita
07-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Mrs. Chopper and my girlfriend are both into the princess cut diamonds right now. They're gorgeous, just like the diamonds, however I'm going to need another job pretty soon to keep these ladies blingified.

I like the princess cut too, but the round ones sparkle more. :)

SpursWoman
07-17-2006, 04:49 PM

One decent sized ... with the baguettes and/or smaller diamonds around it.

BOTH! :lol

Mixability
07-17-2006, 04:51 PM
none taken. i was surprised myself, but our wedding rings will be simple as well.

I'd spend less too, but I'm insanely picky about stuff, which is why 1 carat is the lowest I'll go, since it's a nice round number. :spin

Gatita
07-17-2006, 04:51 PM
One decent sized ... with the baguettes and/or smaller diamonds around it.

BOTH! :lol

:tu

I like baguettes too. I have 3 on either side with a crapload of round ones. :)

tlongII
07-17-2006, 04:54 PM
rule of thumb, not precise calculation, cotton dick.

Is "rule of thumb" within +/- 10% of AGI? 20%?

Kori Ellis
07-17-2006, 04:54 PM
I knew the thread title would at least catch the ladies attention..........

I want to get different opinions on engagement rings.

My first choice would be a classic round solitaire on a simple platinum band. I've found a few nice rings locally (Helzberg, Kay, etc.) For the carat size I want(at least 1 carat), the price range I can expect to be in is about $3000 -$5000. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to go or not go for a vast selection?

P.S. I don't want to get shot by my future fiance, so don't suggest EZ Pawn, thanks. :)

LJ bought me a very nice 2 carat princess cut solitaire on a simple band as my engagement ring. I would tell you where he got it, but I'm not allowed to know the place because he gets other stuff there for me. So, he could probably tell you via PM or something. :lol

Mixability
07-17-2006, 04:57 PM
LJ bought me a very nice 2 carat princess cut solitaire on a simple band as my engagement ring. I would tell you where he got it, but I'm not allowed to know the place because he gets other stuff there for me. So, he could probably tell you via PM or something. :lol

isn't it a given that it would be a "princess" cut? :lol

ShoogarBear
07-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Dear Danyo:

Get in touch with me. I'll hook you up.

Sincerely,
Kobe

Kori Ellis
07-17-2006, 05:07 PM
isn't it a given that it would be a "princess" cut? :lol

Of course :lol

Anyway, I know a lot of girls like baguettes, but I'm not a fan of them. LJ had picked out a ring with baguettes on the sides and a smaller (less than 2k) diamond in the middle but opted for this one because I had said I wanted it simple. I guess you should know (or try to figure out) which one your girl would prefer.

All husbands should know that the "right hand ring" is all the craze lately. It's basically a ring bigger than an engagement ring (sometimes eternity ring style) that goes on the right hand. Every wife who is married for longer than five years should have one soon. :angel

Gatita
07-17-2006, 05:09 PM
All husbands should know that the "right hand ring" is all the craze lately. It's basically a ring bigger than an engagement ring (sometimes eternity ring style) that goes on the right hand. Every wife who is married for longer than five years should have one soon. :angel

Hmmm....I got one before the engagement ring.

Kori Ellis
07-17-2006, 05:10 PM
Hmmm....I got one before the engagement ring.

Is it bigger than your engagement ring?

That's the key. :lol

Gatita
07-17-2006, 05:12 PM
Is it bigger than your engagement ring?

That's the key. :lol

No....because I chose the engagement ring. :lol

SpursWoman
07-17-2006, 05:13 PM
*sigh* :depressed

2Blonde
07-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Actually I did get my center stone from a pawn broker.:lol It was a great deal. He dealt in diamonds and It ended up appraising for 3 times what I paid for it. I bought the stone from him and then bought the rest of the setting somewhere else.
I have a platinum & gold 3 ring set. It has a 1 carat solitaire with a 10pt diamond on either side & then each of the outer bands have 4 10pt diamonds. Each platinum band is edged by two stips of yellow gold.
Sorry the picture is kind of blurry but I was in a hurry and didn't have time to mess with the camera.

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/9673/wr002ef9.jpg

SpursWoman
07-17-2006, 06:18 PM
I think I would be happy with anything you don't size by just squeezing it a little. :fro

2Blonde
07-17-2006, 06:20 PM
I think I would be happy with anything you don't size by just squeezing it a little. :fro
:lmao

SpursWoman
07-17-2006, 06:42 PM
Seriously....

Or he can use the Buy It Now feature and snatch this one up on ebay for $94,000. :wow :lmao

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/40000185/Images/2/r14205925Sb.jpg

Kori Ellis
07-17-2006, 06:44 PM
Seriously....

Or he can use the Buy It Now feature and snatch this one up on ebay for $94,000. :wow :lmao

:wow

Gatita
07-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Seriously....

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/40000185/Images/2/r14205925Sb.jpg

:wow

Or you can try one on @ Americus Diamond...I did and that sucker was worth 140k. I wanted to bolt for the door. :lol

SpursWoman
07-17-2006, 06:46 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/180439-5-16-CT-DIAMOND-ENGAGEMENT-RING-PLATINUM_W0QQitemZ120009048539QQihZ002QQcategoryZ9 2906QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Retail value $180K?? I'd be petrified of being murdered wearing something like that. Which is why Chris told me he's getting me one made of dry ice. That'd be cool...I could pour water on it and have it smoke for a good party trick. :lol

Gatita
07-17-2006, 06:47 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/180439-5-16-CT-DIAMOND-ENGAGEMENT-RING-PLATINUM_W0QQitemZ120009048539QQihZ002QQcategoryZ9 2906QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Appraised value $180K?? I'd be petrified of being murdered wearing something like that. Which is why Chris told me he's getting me on made of dry ice. That'd be cool...I could pour water on it and have it smoke for a good party trick. :lol

SpursWoman
07-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Then there was the, "$94,000?? WTF? I'd never buy a fucking ring off of ebay. I can buy the press and make my own damn diamond for $50,000." :lmao

CuckingFunt
07-17-2006, 08:04 PM
The one boy fool enough to propose to me (after a staggering three months of kinda/sorta dating) did so with a ring very similar to this one. It was vintage, though. The band had a bit more detail and the side stones were rubies. It was stunning.

Seeing the value of that puppy, however, I'm suddenly feeling very stupid for not doing the typical/cheesy girl thing and keeping the ring.

ShoogarBear
07-17-2006, 09:27 PM
Damn, that must have been some good sex.

CuckingFunt
07-17-2006, 09:30 PM
Damn, that must have been some good sex.
Tried to come up with a witty response making reference to tooting my own horn, or patting myself on the back, but it didn't seem appropriate.

ShoogarBear
07-17-2006, 09:37 PM
Tried to come up with a witty response making reference to tooting my own horn, or patting myself on the back, but it didn't seem appropriate.Allow me:

-"I guess for him it was."

-"If I had actually given him some I'd own Microsoft."

-"The hardest part about getting the diamond was jamming the coal up his ass."

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
07-17-2006, 09:39 PM
:lol @ allow me

CuckingFunt
07-17-2006, 09:48 PM
Allow me:

-"I guess for him it was." That's the winner.

-"If I had actually given him some I'd own Microsoft."

-"The hardest part about getting the diamond was jamming the coal up his ass."
Second one is hilarious, but mostly for the idea that I wouldn't put out in three months.

Mixability
07-18-2006, 12:13 AM
I guess you should know (or try to figure out) which one your girl would prefer.

I've kinda found out from her friends/family that she'd rather me not spend too much, but I just want to "wow" her. I'm ready to propose, but damn, my pickyness is keeping me from finding a suitable ring. :pctoss

Kori Ellis
07-18-2006, 12:25 AM
I've kinda found out from her friends/family that she'd rather me not spend too much, but I just want to "wow" her. I'm ready to propose, but damn, my pickyness is keeping me from finding a suitable ring. :pctoss

Well make it simple. One decent size classy diamond. It will be classy and nice and WOW her, but it won't be super expensive.

jman3000
07-18-2006, 12:26 AM
a diamnond is forever.

sincerely
debeers.

Mixability
07-18-2006, 12:32 AM
Well make it simple. One decent size classy diamond. It will be classy and nice and WOW her, but it won't be super expensive.

i've found a nice 1.0 carat solitaire on a platinum band, it was about $5000. that might be the one, unless i find something similar at Americus.

Gatita
07-18-2006, 12:36 AM
i've found a nice 1.0 carat solitaire on a platinum band, it was about $5000. that might be the one, unless i find something similar at Americus.

You will find it. Trust me.

They have tons of stones you can choose from.

I personally went with a 1.20 round set in 18k white gold. The band has 2.35 carats.

Me love it long time.

ObiwanGinobili
07-18-2006, 08:10 AM
I agree about really needing to know whta your GF wants.
every woman is different in her diamond needs/wants.

personally I would have rather had an emerald with an opal on either side.... doesn;t scream "engagement ring" I know .. but that was my dream.
instead I have 11 diamonds sprkling off my left hand.they are pretty,an channelset into the ring they way I like.
I just am not into the really big diamond. 1ct is just about enough for me. ... almost too big. And yes I do believe there is a "too big" ring out there.
I also cannot imagine spending a butt load of money on a little sparkely peice of metal that goes on my finger.
Sometimes I can be too practical for my own good - but if Emo had chosen some huge diamond that had cost him a feww months salary I would've talked him into returning it. :lol

I'm actually looking to change our bands at some point in the future..I have a solitare , and a band with a raised diamond above the channel sets.. and I've bent and knocked the prongs all to hell. My rings have been repaired twice at least.
My wedding band is just channel set and it's done just fine.
I've worn these 3 bands everyday for 7 1/2 yrs and I cannot imagine that I can wear them for another 2o or 30 without breaking my finger or losing a diamond becasue a prong broke.
Maybe I am too hard on my hands.... or clutzy.
But if I had a big pretty ring like Gatita's (and I'[ve seen it in person - it;s gorgeous!) I know I could never wear it. It would have to look pretty from my dresser top.

leemajors
07-18-2006, 08:21 AM
i forgot to mention the main reason my fiancee didn't want a diamond - she found out where they came from, and the only place she would consider a diamond from was a dealer in dallas. they were the only place relatively near us that didn't sell south african slave trade diamonds. the people that harvest them are indentured servants that are forced to live on the land they get the diamonds from and have quotas for how many diamonds they have to procure. on top of that, the colored couples have to live apart on the land, but white couples can live together. basically the south african diamond trade is a huge human rights violation that zales, debeers and all the major jewelry companies turn a blind eye to. my fiancee found out about it and was totally disgusted. on top of that, the profits from the diamond trade fuel conflicts like the civil war in angola. it's a total mess.

Summers
07-18-2006, 09:53 AM
i forgot to mention the main reason my fiancee didn't want a diamond - she found out where they came from, and the only place she would consider a diamond from was a dealer in dallas. they were the only place relatively near us that didn't sell south african slave trade diamonds. the people that harvest them are indentured servants that are forced to live on the land they get the diamonds from and have quotas for how many diamonds they have to procure. on top of that, the colored couples have to live apart on the land, but white couples can live together. basically the south african diamond trade is a huge human rights violation that zales, debeers and all the major jewelry companies turn a blind eye to. my fiancee found out about it and was totally disgusted. on top of that, the profits from the diamond trade fuel conflicts like the civil war in angola. it's a total mess.

I was just about to mention that. I have a diamond because I didn't know where they come from at the time and it's traditional and shit. :) If we ever decide to get new rings, I'll probably go for a solid band, but I've always thought rubies or emeralds make pretty and interesting alternatives to diamonds.

Trainwreck2100
07-18-2006, 10:45 AM
Don't buy it from Jerod, I won't those jerks to go out of business so their shitty commercials can go away

Trainwreck2100
07-18-2006, 10:46 AM

Diamonds are a big sham anyway trust me, they are not as rare as you think

Mrs.Tlong
07-18-2006, 10:49 AM
I never got a ring per'se from Tlong.
He gave me a plastic ear tag with his name across it.

But I'm hoping to get it blinged out with swavorski crystals on our next aniversary. :princess

pache100
07-18-2006, 11:01 AM

I don't like diamonds, either, for myself. To me, they look icy and cold. It's a turnoff for me, personally, but I usually like the way they look on other people. I like stones that you can't "see through", like topaz, onyx, jade, opal, etc. I guess I could wear rubies or emeralds, but I really prefer opaque stones to clear or translucent ones. And I don't wear gold much at all for the same reason...looks cold on me. I love silver, almost all my jewelry is white gold or silver...seems so much warmer against my skin. I have one ring that I wear all the time on my left middle finger that is silver and turquoise, but in general, I really prefer silver jewelry without stones of any kind.

Mixability
07-18-2006, 11:17 AM
You will find it. Trust me.

They have tons of stones you can choose from.

I personally went with a 1.20 round set in 18k white gold. The band has 2.35 carats.

Me love it long time.

Do you know off hand how much that ended up being. I just wonder about what kind of prices they have, since they "never have sales". :lol

easjer
07-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Please know that Kay's and Zales are way overpriced. You are likely to get a much higher quality elsewhere for the same price. Also, please know that the difference between a one and two carat princess cut stone is 1 mm sq - not much to the naked eye. Also note that one CAN have too big a ring, if the setting is too high or the stone uncomfortably large on her hand (my friend just had to trade her ring in - her finace finally insisted after she caught the ring on something a third time and nearly broke her finger).

Pick something classic, but please, be receptive to her altering it in some way (offer to let her pick out a new setting or change it to match a wedding band she loves) if you insist on surprising her. Only because it is something she has to wear for the rest of her life. I know I would have hated my ring if Jason had picked out something for me without my input, because it would have been exactly what I dislike (and he would have chosen it because it was classic).

Also, if you want to WOW her without spending too much money (which you mentioned she doesn't want) consider diamond alternatives like white sapphires - just as durable, just as sparkly and a fraction of the price. Can you tell that's what I have?

; )

easjer
07-18-2006, 11:18 AM
Also - Congratulations!

Mixability
07-18-2006, 11:23 AM
Please know that Kay's and Zales are way overpriced. You are likely to get a much higher quality elsewhere for the same price. Also, please know that the difference between a one and two carat princess cut stone is 1 mm sq - not much to the naked eye. Also note that one CAN have too big a ring, if the setting is too high or the stone uncomfortably large on her hand (my friend just had to trade her ring in - her finace finally insisted after she caught the ring on something a third time and nearly broke her finger).

Pick something classic, but please, be receptive to her altering it in some way (offer to let her pick out a new setting or change it to match a wedding band she loves) if you insist on surprising her. Only because it is something she has to wear for the rest of her life. I know I would have hated my ring if Jason had picked out something for me without my input, because it would have been exactly what I dislike (and he would have chosen it because it was classic).

Also, if you want to WOW her without spending too much money (which you mentioned she doesn't want) consider diamond alternatives like white sapphires - just as durable, just as sparkly and a fraction of the price. Can you tell that's what I have?

; )

I'm positive that she wouldn't care if I got her a cracker jack ring, as long as it's a symbol of how much she means to me. It just seems less special if I take her somewhere and have her pick it out. Basically all I'm there for is to pay for it. I want to show her my effort in the matter.

Trainwreck2100
07-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Also - Congratulations!
She hasn't said yes

SpursWoman
07-18-2006, 11:30 AM
I'm positive that she wouldn't care if I got her a cracker jack ring, as long as it's a symbol of how much she means to me.

Yes, she would. You have to squeeze those to size it. :lmao

Mrs.Jimcs50
07-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Get your girlfriends opinion first. Do not surprise her!

My engagement ring is actually my second. The 1st one I recieved from Jim was returned because it was shaped like a golf ball. :rolleyes

easjer
07-18-2006, 11:35 AM
I'm positive that she wouldn't care if I got her a cracker jack ring, as long as it's a symbol of how much she means to me. It just seems less special if I take her somewhere and have her pick it out. Basically all I'm there for is to pay for it. I want to show her my effort in the matter.

I totally understand. I'm not saying you shouldn't pick it out, just that you should also exhibit flexibility. You clearly are making a great effort. But maybe let her know gently that you are not opposed to letting her pick out a new setting if she'd prefer that or adding something to it. Then if she's completely happy (or even if she's not) she can tell you how perfect it is and how much she loves it. You may hit it out of the park on the first shot - but if not, don't be completely hurt if she's not completely in love with it.

There are a variety of comfort factors that go into something she has to wear everyday that may make your choice less than practical. Just be aware of those and be willing to let her make changes if she needs/wants to. That's all I'm saying.

Summers
07-18-2006, 11:38 AM
Get your girlfriends opinion first. Do not surprise her!

My engagement ring is actually my second. The 1st one i recieved form Jim was returned because it was shaped like a golf ball. :rolleyes

:lol See, this is what I'm thinking, but I didn't want to sound like the only unromantic. If it's something you're going to wear mostly for the rest of your life, you kind of want a say in what it looks like.

Mixability
07-18-2006, 11:41 AM

then it's convenient!

Kori Ellis
07-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Well does she know you are asking her?

If not, you can't exactly tell her to browse for some selections that you can choose from.

I say, if you know your woman, you'll figure out what she'll like. I would have never wanted to pick out or change my engagement ring.

To each his own.

Mixability
07-18-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm only spending about $800 or so on the ring itself, not including the diamond, so if she gets it replaced, it won't be a big deal. As long as there's a big rock on it, I'm sure she'll be happy with it, right? :lol

SpursWoman
07-18-2006, 11:44 AM
She doesn't sound at all like she wouldn't like whatever he picked out. Maybe she's like me ... I don't want to pick out my own, I want a surprise. And my mother picked out and bought my first wedding band because Loser didn't think I needed one. So trust me, I would love anything....as long as it is yellow gold and not super-gaudy. And a size 7. :nerd :angel :lol

And I also don't want him to feel pressured into getting me something he can't afford just to make me happy....like he probably would if I was there gawking at the $180K rings.

What Danyo sounds like he wants to get is perfect. If she wants a little more sparkly or bling-y ... she can pick out her own wedding band. Tradition doesn't require that that be a surprise, too. :)

Mixability
07-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Well does she know you are asking her?

If not, you can't exactly tell her to browse for some selections that you can choose from.

I say, if you know your woman, you'll figure out what she'll like. I would have never wanted to pick out or change my engagement ring.

To each his own.

She has reason to assume we're reaching a serious level in our relationship, but she has no idea I'm ready to propose. Regardless, it feels tacky for me to ask her what she wants. It would be like having her pick out her own Christmas gift. I'm glad you agree with me on that topic.

101A
07-18-2006, 11:55 AM
I'm only spending about $800 or so on the ring itself, not including the diamond, so if she gets it replaced, it won't be a big deal. As long as there's a big rock on it, I'm sure she'll be happy with it, right? :lol

Danyo,

Check you PM's.

ShoogarBear
07-18-2006, 11:56 AM

That's my philosophy!

Oh wait, we're still talking about rings, aren't we?

Mixability
07-18-2006, 12:34 PM
And I also don't want him to feel pressured into getting me something he can't afford just to make me happy....like he probably would if I was there gawking at the $180K rings.

I know for sure I HAVE to spend more on her ring, then I would on rims for my truck. Cause if I don't stick to that rule and she finds out, I won't be married for long..... :spin

easjer
07-18-2006, 12:51 PM

pache100
07-18-2006, 12:56 PM

One of the sweetest things I ever heard was when two friends of mine back in Georgia got engaged. He took her out in a rowboat on the little lake at the springfed swimming pool near where we lived. No one could hear them (but we could see them), they were completely alone on the water. He got down on one knee (a couple of our guy friends said he actually had scoped the boats out and tried this beforehand to be sure he wouldn't make a fool of himself) and asked her to marry him. When she said yes, he put a bubble gum machine ring on her finger and the next day they went to pick out her diamond together. They are divorced now (after almost 25 years), and she doesn't have her engagement ring any longer, but you know what? She still has that bubble gum machine ring! Her daughter is getting married in September and she said she will give it to her to keep.

SpursWoman
07-18-2006, 12:56 PM
I know for sure I HAVE to spend more on her ring, then I would on rims for my truck. Cause if I don't stick to that rule and she finds out, I won't be married for long..... :spin

"WTF?? You care more about your truck than me...!!! :cry :cry"

I could easily see it. :lol :lol

SpursWoman
07-18-2006, 01:02 PM
One of the sweetest things I ever heard was when two friends of mine back in Georgia got engaged. He took her out in a rowboat on the little lake at the springfed swimming pool near where we lived. No one could hear them (but we could see them), they were completely alone on the water. He got down on one knee (a couple of our guy friends said he actually had scoped the boats out and tried this beforehand to be sure he wouldn't make a fool of himself) and asked her to marry him. When she said yes, he put a bubble gum machine ring on her finger and the next day they went to pick out her diamond together. They are divorced now, and she doesn't have her engagement ring any longer, but you know what? She still has that bubble gum machine ring! Her daughter is getting married in September and she said she will give it to her to keep.

That is sweet. :)

What I also think is really sweet, are that at my mom's business (which catered mostly to older people) I knew a lot of women that were very wealthy and are/had been married 40-50 years, but still insist on wearing the little 1/4 - 1/2 carat, plain old solitaire their husbands bought for them when they were just starting out and dirt-poor.

Of course, everywhere else on their person they'd have the gem equivalent to the contents of Fort Knox ... but still that little bitty thing on their left ring finger.

pache100
07-18-2006, 01:10 PM
That is sweet. :)

What I also think is really sweet, are that at my mom's business (which catered mostly to older people) I knew a lot of women that were very wealthy and are/had been married 40-50 years, but still insist on wearing the little 1/4 - 1/2 carat, plain old solitaire their husbands bought for them when they were just starting out and dirt-poor.

Of course, everywhere else on their person they'd have the gem equivalent to the contents of Fort Knox ... but still that little bitty thing on their left ring finger.

Well, the bubble gum machine ring was kind of an inside joke thing, anyway. The first time they went out, he put 50 cents in one of those machines coming out of the movie and got a ring, which he put on her finger. But, she lost it somewhere; we never let her forget about it, saying she was immature and irresponsible (she was and still is one of the most mature and responsible people I know). It probably wouldn't work for just anyone.

I know what you mean about the little old ladies and their little diamonds. I grew up a military brat. I knew a lot of military wives when I was growing up who had very small diamond engagement rings, or like my Mom, no engagement ring at all. A lot of the husbands tried to replace (or give the first one) after they retired, the kids were grown and gone, and they had a little more money for stuff like that. Most of them will tell you they like the original ones better. My Mom only had a slim little gold wedding band until they were married 25 years. She always thought she wanted a wide gold band. That year, on their anniversary, my Dad put a wide gold band on her plate at breakfast. She was blown away. But, just a couple of years later, she got breast cancer and had her lymph nodes removed, so they recommended she not wear any rings on that hand (causes swelling). So, she didn't wear it very long after all. She told me the other day she didn't know where it was; but she had the original one in her hand when she told me that.

Mixability
07-18-2006, 01:16 PM
Damn, now I know for SURE I have to make the first ring unforgettable...... along with the proposal. :)

pache100
07-18-2006, 01:21 PM
Damn, now I know for SURE I have to make the first ring unforgettable...... along with the proposal. :)

(just remember, unforgettable does not necessarily equate to the most expensive or elaborate thing you can find...sometimes simple but tasteful is best)

Mixability
07-18-2006, 01:28 PM

(just remember, unforgettable does not necessarily equate to the most expensive or elaborate thing you can find...sometimes simple but tasteful is best)

I didn't mean unforgettable as in expensive, but thanks!

CavsSuperFan
07-18-2006, 01:30 PM
In divorce settlements...Jewelry, engagement rings, earnings, bracelets etc are considered HER PROPERTY...While a Harley Davidson Road King is considered YOUR PROPERTY.... :depressed

http://awesomemotorcycleauctions.com/uploaded_images/2005%20custom%20built%20harley%20road%20king-772561.jpg

Get a Harley & Call It Good... :smokin

furry_spurry
07-18-2006, 01:31 PM
Different perspective. My now ex bought me a more expensive engagement ring with a much more expensive diamond than I told him I wanted. I knew he was buying the ring and I had told him I wanted something small, simple, and plain. But what was I to do then? You can't tell the guy you don't want it. So I wore that thing for almost 20 years. It's a symbol of a man who gave it to me- not for me - but for how it looked to other people.

Mixability
07-18-2006, 01:37 PM
It's a symbol of a man who gave it to me- not for me - but for how it looked to other people.

No offense, but maybe you believe that because he's your ex?

furry_spurry
07-18-2006, 01:40 PM
No offense, but maybe you believe that because he's your ex?
With age comes wisdom. My point is simple- get her what SHE would like and not what YOU think she SHOULD want. Respect her taste and her preferences.

And just so you know- he said those words- "but how would it look if I only got you something small?"

tlongII
07-18-2006, 01:50 PM
One of the sweetest things I ever heard was when two friends of mine back in Georgia got engaged. He took her out in a rowboat on the little lake at the springfed swimming pool near where we lived. No one could hear them (but we could see them), they were completely alone on the water. He got down on one knee (a couple of our guy friends said he actually had scoped the boats out and tried this beforehand to be sure he wouldn't make a fool of himself) and asked her to marry him. When she said yes, he put a bubble gum machine ring on her finger and the next day they went to pick out her diamond together. They are divorced now (after almost 25 years), and she doesn't have her engagement ring any longer, but you know what? She still has that bubble gum machine ring! Her daughter is getting married in September and she said she will give it to her to keep.

I did the same thing. When she said no I threw her over the side of the boat.

pache100
07-18-2006, 01:57 PM
I didn't mean unforgettable as in expensive, but thanks!

I know you didn't, but I wanted to stress it anyway.

SpursWoman
07-18-2006, 01:58 PM

pache100
07-18-2006, 02:00 PM

:lmao

Gatita
07-18-2006, 02:29 PM
Do you know off hand how much that ended up being. I just wonder about what kind of prices they have, since they "never have sales". :lol

They have plenty in all price ranges. :)

Mixability
07-18-2006, 02:33 PM
And just so you know- he said those words- "but how would it look if I only got you something small?"

well that completely changes the story then......

If I was able to read her mind and know she'd be completely happy with a .00001 carat ring, then I'd get it for her. But I know if I ask her to choose, she'd go the cheap route just to be nice. :spin

Mixability
07-18-2006, 02:34 PM

It must've been a pain to get her wool dry after that.

MannyIsGod
07-18-2006, 02:39 PM
Cool thread. :)

The only thing I want to comment on is that you shoud know you're woman enough to know what she'd like. I think telling her she could trade it back if she didn't like it is really fucking lame.

ShoogarBear
07-18-2006, 02:42 PM

The only thing I want to comment on is that you shoud know you're woman enough to know what she'd like. I think telling her she could trade it back if she didn't like it is really fucking lame.

Oh, boy. You should have stayed out of this thread. :lol

2Blonde
07-18-2006, 03:11 PM
When my 1st husband proposed to me he gave 1/3 carat diamonds that came from a ring of his father's (who was deceased). It was very important to him that it be used in my wedding ring. I think he thought that would be it and he would get out cheap. Silly man!!:lol I went out and got a solitaire engagement ring and had the diamonds he gave me set in wedding band set that I had designed to fit around the solitaire.

When my 2nd (and incredible) husband proposed we picked out the rings together. I already told you about how I got the stone and the rings. I never wanted to be surprised by the ring though. To me it was the sincerity of the proposal and the wedding vows and the commitment with which you follow through with them that mattered to me. The truth of the matter is I would rather have a husband that chooses to spend his evenings with me than a big diamond to keep me warm at night.

I have my grandmother's little gold wedding band that is almost worn through from so many years of wear. I sometimes wear it when I am feeling nostalgic or if I am going someplace where I might not feel safe wearing my wedding rings.

MannyIsGod
07-18-2006, 03:12 PM
Oh, boy. You should have stayed out of this thread. :lolIn the words of CBF, I scoff at this thread!

Gatita
07-18-2006, 03:13 PM
When my 1st husband proposed to me he gave 1/3 carat diamonds that came from a ring of his father's (who was deceased). It was very important to him that it be used in my wedding ring. I think he thought that would be it and he would get out cheap. Silly man!!:lol I went out and got a solitaire engagement ring and had the diamonds he gave me set in wedding band set that I had designed to fit around the solitaire.

When my 2nd (and incredible) husband proposed we picked out the rings together. I already told you about how I got the stone and the rings. I never wanted to be surprised by the ring though. To me it was the sincerity of the proposal and the wedding vows and the commitment with which you follow through with them that mattered to me. The truth of the matter is I would rather have a husband that chooses to spend his evenings with me than a big diamond to keep me warm at night.

I have my grandmother's little gold wedding band that is almost worn through from so many years of wear. I sometimes wear it when I am feeling nostalgic or if I am going someplace where I might not feel safe wearing my wedding rings.

Well said.

MoSpur
07-18-2006, 03:14 PM
Like they always say, go to Mexico and buy one there. Its cheaper.

MannyIsGod
07-18-2006, 03:15 PM
Man, I would never buy a diamond in mexico. Especially not for an engagement ring.

"I'm sorry maam, what you have here is what is known as a cubic zirconia."

Mrs.Tlong
07-18-2006, 03:16 PM
It must've been a pain to get her wool dry after that.

Actually that was his Ex-girlfriend.
http://www.pusscats.com/Hairless_Cats-Sphynx.jpg

She dried off pretty well on her own.

Mixability
07-18-2006, 03:28 PM

I know her enough, :tu, I was wondering about the "where to purchase" aspect mostly.

The trade/upgrade thing is news to me.

I'm ok with her adding things onto the ring, but totally changing it would make me: :depressed

Mixability
07-18-2006, 03:29 PM
Man, I would never buy a diamond in mexico. Especially not for an engagement ring.

"I'm sorry maam, what you have here is what is known as a cubic zirconia."

If I bought her ring in Mexico, my body would end up there in the end.

ShoogarBear
07-18-2006, 03:38 PM
Actually back in the 80s I knew quite a few women who were quite proud of their cubic zirconium; because of the diamond-mining issues previously mentioned.

1Parker1
07-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Actually back in the 80s I knew...

ShoogarBear
07-18-2006, 03:43 PM
http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/images/smilies/old_man.gif

2Blonde
07-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Actually back in the 80s I knew quite a few women.
http://www.blackfoot.net/~schocksdairy/leisure%20suit.jpg

Shoog all pimped out at the disco.. :lmao

1Parker1
07-18-2006, 03:58 PM
Nah, that guy's too white to be Shoog. :lol

ShoogarBear
07-18-2006, 04:14 PM
The orange and lime combo is sweet, though.

MannyIsGod
07-18-2006, 04:20 PM
I know her enough, :tu, I was wondering about the "where to purchase" aspect mostly.

The trade/upgrade thing is news to me.

I'm ok with her adding things onto the ring, but totally changing it would make me: :depressedYeah, I'd feel shitty too if I went to a shitload of trouble to pick something out then she just went and traded it in like a used car.

I'm pretty confident you'll pick out something nice dude. :tu

2Blonde
07-18-2006, 04:24 PM
Nah, that guy's too white to be Shoog. :lolI know, but I was in a hurry so I figured even though it was a white boy wearing that awesome leisure suit it would at least get the point across.

Mixability
07-18-2006, 04:29 PM
http://www.blackfoot.net/~schocksdairy/leisure%20suit.jpg

Shoog all pimped out at the disco.. :lmao

The nametag just bypasses the "hi, I'm Shoog" bullshit.

Way to streamline the process.

ShoogarBear
07-18-2006, 04:30 PM
That's not a leisure suit. That's a vest.

THIS is a leisure suit:
http://www.hfmgv.org/exhibits/pic/2004/leisure/outfitentire.jpg

For the record I never:
a) wore a leisure suit
b) had a jheri curl

tlongII
07-18-2006, 05:45 PM
I might have to break out the plaids I used to wear...

2Blonde
07-18-2006, 07:56 PM
Damn Shoog you're right... I was laughing so hard I didn't even notice the dude was wearing a vest instead of a jacket. I googled leisure suits.
By the way... Gotta love a man with a jheri curl.:smokin

ShoogarBear
07-18-2006, 08:38 PM
By the way... Gotta love a man with a jheri curl.:smokin
Well, then, Texas is the place for you . . .

Old School Chic
07-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Well, then, Texas is the place for you . . .

Mixability
08-23-2006, 10:05 AM
what is a clarity enhanced diamond? I've looked up the basic definition, but is it just like a cheap ugly diamond? I've seen a few in stores and they look the same, but I didn't know if they were recommended. I'd hate to spend a few thousand on a pretty piece of glass. :wtf

easjer
08-23-2006, 10:24 AM
what is a clarity enhanced diamond? I've looked up the basic definition, but is it just like a cheap ugly diamond? I've seen a few in stores and they look the same, but I didn't know if they were recommended. I'd hate to spend a few thousand on a pretty piece of glass. :wtf

Waste of money. They take a lesser quality diamond and treat it with heat or chemicals to make it appear more clear, or they call it clarity enhanced and jack up the price when they haven't done anything but polish it.

A diamond either is or isn't clear/included. It's a scam, just like blue-white diamonds were a scam a few years back.

Mixability
08-23-2006, 10:31 AM
Waste of money. They take a lesser quality diamond and treat it with heat or chemicals to make it appear more clear, or they call it clarity enhanced and jack up the price when they haven't done anything but polish it.

A diamond either is or isn't clear/included. It's a scam, just like blue-white diamonds were a scam a few years back.

Thanks, i knew they were a bad idea when I saw the price. I'm always thinking, "you get what you pay for" and since these are priced WAY lower than similar sized un-enhanced, I was a little iffy on their quality. Thanks again.