PDA

View Full Version : RMR Game 3: Spurs v. Hawks

Solid D
07-17-2006, 06:02 PM
Official use your imagination thread. :lol

Kori Ellis
07-17-2006, 06:06 PM
My friend Brian isn't there today. Maybe I can get updates from Noel if he's at the arena early (his game starts in 2 hours).

Samr
07-17-2006, 06:07 PM
Are any of these on TV?

Kori Ellis
07-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Are any of these on TV?

4 of the Spurs 6 games will be televised on NBATV but they are delayed by 7-10 days.

Solid D
07-17-2006, 06:14 PM
4 of the Spurs 6 games will be televised on NBATV but they are delayed by 7-10 days.

Here is the Spurs' NBAtv schedule:

MONDAY, JULY 24
DAL vs. SAS FROM 7/14

WEDNESDAY, JULY 26
SAS vs. ATL FROM 7/17

SATURDAY, JULY 29
DAL vs. SAS FROM 7/20

SUNDAY, JULY 30
SAS vs. UTA FROM 7/21

ducks
07-17-2006, 06:27 PM
Go Ian

Obstructed_View
07-17-2006, 06:28 PM
KFan in SLC is broadcasting the games. Doesn't that mean you could listen to them on Sirius?

Quadzilla99
07-17-2006, 07:08 PM
4 of the Spurs 6 games will be televised on NBATV but they are delayed by 7-10 days.What's the point of the delay?

timvp
07-17-2006, 07:17 PM
http://images.ibsys.com/2000/1026/125437.gif

Tim Duncan to sit out summer league game due to an unknown injury.

Kori Ellis
07-17-2006, 09:10 PM
Box Score

http://www.nba.com/media/jazz/06game8.pdf

Mahinmi with another good game. 16 points and 7 boards.

Melvin Sanders sucked horribly.

Jamar with another solid game.

Budkin
07-17-2006, 09:13 PM
GO IAN! :clap

Kori Ellis
07-17-2006, 09:13 PM
SALT LAKE CITY (July 15, 2006) -- Game two on Monday started much closer than game one. The Atlanta Hawks (0-2) and San Antonio Spurs (2-0) got off to a slow start scoring only 30 combined points in the first quarter. The Spurs shot the ball terribly in the first going 4-of-17 from the floor at 23.5 percent.

Yesterday’s star for the Hawks, Salim Stoudamire, got off to a blistering start going 3-for-3 from the floor with seven points. Spurs big man Ian Mahinmi started strong in the post by scoring six points in the first quarter.

The game stayed close throughout the first half with the biggest lead being six for the Hawks. The half ended with the Hawks leading the Spurs 40-35. Stoudamire had 13 points at the half while Revue leading scorer, Marvin Williams, had just nine points in the first half. Mahinmi led all scorers in the half with 14 points for the Spurs.

The scoring in the second half began to heat up as both teams shot above 50 percent from the floor. Duke standout, Shelden Williams, has yet to get on track in this Rocky Mountain Revue as he’s only averaging four rebounds a game thus far.

The Spurs began to make a push early in the second half to regain the lead but a Melvin Saunders’ missed wide open dunk led to a Cedric Bozeman three-pointer which kept the Hawks up five points. Saunders’ missed dunk spawned a five point swing for the Hawks.

The Spurs closed the gap to as little as three points midway through the third quarter, but they couldn’t get over the hump due to poor shooting from the outside and a failure to penetrate the Hawks’ defense. However, late in the quarter the Spurs made a strong run with Stoudamire and Marvin Williams out for the Hawks. San Antonio closed the gap to within three by the end of the quarter.

Shelden Williams pulled up lame at the end of the third quarter, grabbing his hamstring. He did return to the game midway through the fourth quarter and appeared to be a t full strength.

Two minutes into the final quarter, the Hawks had pulled away from the Spurs to lead by seven points. Then, when the Spurs pulled to within three points, Stoudamire and Marvin Williams came back into the ballgame. The substitution helped propel the Hawks to an 13 point lead late in the fourth. San Antonio could never recover and the Hawks went on to win it 84-74.

Marvin Williams finished with 22 points to lead all scorers and Stoudamire ended with 19 for Atlanta. In the losing effort, Ian Mihinmi finished with 16 points.

http://www.nba.com/jazz/Revue/06game8.html

timvp
07-17-2006, 09:15 PM
Sanders 1-for-13? That's what happens when he goes against an NBA athlete in Marvin Williams. It's time to end the Sanders experiment ASAP.

Mahinmi with 16 and 7 in only 22 minutes. Very nice work from the young Frenchman. He did have 8 fouls and 5 turnovers but you can live with him being aggessive.

Rich Melzer came back down to earth and had a pretty horrible game. Andre Brown and Jamar Smith keep up the decent play.

Spurologist
Melvin Sanders 1-13 :wow

Just slightly off the mark.

THE SIXTH MAN
WOAI will air highlights of tonight's game at 10:00.

timvp
07-17-2006, 09:17 PM
14 points in the first half for Mahinmi?

Impressive.

:smokin

FromWayDowntown
07-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Looks like San Antonio's own Jack Ingram (Marshall H.S./Univ. of Illinois) shot the ball well. He shoots the ball well for a 6'10" forward type; unfortunately, he can't do anything else.

A destitute man's Brian Cook, maybe?

Spurologist
07-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Rich Melzer came back down to earth and had a pretty horrible game. Andre Brown and Jamar Smith keep up the decent play.

Would you classify 2-4 fg 2 blk shots 5 pts as horrible?

I guess the 4 TO's 7 PFs 0-2 3 pt fgs and 1 rbds told the story.

picnroll
07-17-2006, 09:24 PM
5 of 7 of Mahinmi's rebounds were on the offensive glass. He doesn't have strength but he reads the ball so well and it's REALLY hard to keep a body on him. Wait until he adds some strength and he can be Rodmanesque on the boards.

JUUOT
07-17-2006, 09:25 PM
i will really look forward to seeing this game on TV. I wonder if the spurs stop feeding Ian inside or were unable to. Now that i take a better look he must have scored a lot of offensive rebound.
I do not really car about ian's offense, what i was really waiting to see was his rebound production for his first experinec here. For a guy that is apprently not strong enough yet he sure gets his share of rebound. It think this is the most positive sign.
I have no doubts he will join next year at the latest.

JUUOT
07-17-2006, 09:26 PM
5 of 7 of Mahinmi's rebounds were on the offensive glass. He doesn't have strength but he reads the ball so well and it's REALLY hard to keep a body on him. Wait until he adds some strength and he can be Rodmanesque on the boards.

same line of thinking here

Das Texan
07-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Mahinmi is looking halfway decent in the summer league.

Good for him, hopefully it helps give him even more confidence for next year at whatever level he is playing at.

timvp
07-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Mahinmi's outing is even more impressive when you see who he was going against. Shelden Williams was a top five pick this year and John Edwards is an NBA veteran with some starting experience. Mahinmi (and company) held them both without a field goal. Backup bigman Solomon Jones, a second round pick, had 5 fouls and 4 turnovers in 16 minutes.

The Spurs also outrebounded them 17-4 on the offensive glass. I'll have to watch the game but it looks like someone on the Spurs is dominating in the middle. Hopefully Mahinmi has a hand in that.

timvp
07-17-2006, 09:37 PM
So far in summer league, Mahinmi is averaging 17.6 points, 9.6 rebounds, 2.1 blocks and 2.1 steals per 40 minutes played. Not bad.

Plus he's already gone to the line more than Rasho did all last season :lol

JUUOT
07-17-2006, 09:42 PM
The Spurs also outrebounded them 17-4 on the offensive glass. I'll have to watch the game but it looks like someone on the Spurs is dominating in the middle. Hopefully Mahinmi has a hand in that.

At least for the rebounding part it seems it is not someone dominati9ng but a commitee of Brown 6.6/game, J.Smith5.6 and ian 6

JUUOT
07-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Plus he's already gone to the line more than Rasho did all last season :lol

not bad indeed. Another surprise so far after the rebounding rate is clearly the FT %. Ian is usually not a stud at the FT line. he went there 142 times in 37 games last year and shot 60%. in 3 games so far on 17 FT he is shooting .765 either he practised or it shows he is in a confident mood

timvp
07-17-2006, 09:52 PM
At least for the rebounding part it seems it is not someone dominati9ng but a commitee of Brown 6.6/game, J.Smith5.6 and ian 6

Forgive me for hyping it up but I haven't seen the Spurs outrebound three straight opponents since David Robinson retired.

:fro

picnroll
07-17-2006, 09:53 PM
When does training camp for Pau begin? Hopefully Mahinmi spends whatever time after SL camped out with the Spurs' weight training coach and Engelland.

timvp
07-17-2006, 09:55 PM
When does training camp for Pau begin? Hopefully Mahinmi spends whatever time after SL camped out with the Spurs' weight training coach and Engelland.

If the Spurs don't get Butler, Pau's training camp will probably never start for Mahinmi because San Antonio would need him.

Brutalis
07-17-2006, 09:55 PM
Odds of Ian being a Spur this year?

timvp
07-17-2006, 09:57 PM

Probably around 20%. The Spurs would have to strike out on Butler and then miss out on veterans on the Lo Wright level.

Brutalis
07-17-2006, 10:02 PM
I'd trust Ian with the ball against the Mavs more than Wright.

picnroll
07-17-2006, 10:07 PM
Ian may be the best suited player in the Spurs' system for guarding Dirk.

In a way I hope that the Spurs can leave him in Europe. It's those developed stud players on rookie contracts that give teams the edge in these luxury tax days.

JUUOT
07-17-2006, 10:07 PM

a month ago i would have said 5%, ianis improving faster than anticipated but showing he was still raw. Spurs had nesterovic under contract and possibly nazr coming back and javtokas coming...

Not that i am worried about the spurs but i have to admit they are in a hole at the center position if both elson and butler are signed. In this scenario, i could see him coming. it is a 15% chance now. 25% if only one is matched
50% if both are matched

Ian is not the only one playiong a solid summer league so far. J smith and andre brown both at 6-9 are consitent and rebound well. We had a profile on smith and apprently he is clearly a PF maybe he could defend on nowitzki type, what about A. brown:

NBA Comparison: Kenyon Martin
Strengths: A bona fide phreak. Runs the floor like a deer. Has great explosiveness and gets to the rim exceptionally quick. Can run the break or has good strength down in the post. Has a good frame. Very strong athlete. A high riser with good potential.Weaknesses: Still a little inconsistent. Some questioned his work ethic early on, however he seems to have matured and improved in this area. Not huge for the NBA power forward position, but very athletic. Offensive game is still limited to around-the-basket stuff. Needs to work on some post moves and expand his jumpshot.

Actually looks a lot like Kenyon Martin, similar features and style of play. Might actually be ahead of K-Mart in terms of his development curve. Martin stayed until his senior season developing his game. Brown has really improved dramatically from his freshman season

Beer is Good
07-17-2006, 10:11 PM
Mahinmi's outing is even more impressive when you see who he was going against. Shelden Williams was a top five pick this year and John Edwards is an NBA veteran with some starting experience. Mahinmi (and company) held them both without a field goal. Backup bigman Solomon Jones, a second round pick, had 5 fouls and 4 turnovers in 16 minutes.

I think that is the best sign from this game. Sheldon Williams is not quite NBA ready on the offensive end, but he is a big, strong, guy who is very physical. If Ian could match it up with him, that bodes well for his development and toughness. Remember, much to my chagrin, Williams totally out-muscled and dominated Lamarcus Aldridge this last year in CB. If Ian can hold his own physically on the boards against Williams, he may be much better than I originally thought.

LaMarcus Bryant
07-17-2006, 10:36 PM
If Ian becomes a Spur, its return of the Twin Towers :greenelephant

Doc Jerome
07-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Wow. :fro

timvp
07-18-2006, 02:50 AM
Ian Mahinmi-Showed a nice stroke from the free line and from about 15 feet out. His release is high and his shot is soft and often rolls in. He has obviously been well coached with solid footwork and fundamentals. He uses his good quickness and leaping ability to get to rebounds and tip-ins. He still needs to gain more strength play his natural position of power forward but Spurs fans have something to get excited about. In the 2nd half Mahinmi was limited by foul trouble to just a few minutes.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1416

:smokin

T Park
07-18-2006, 03:19 AM
Keep him here.

Fuck Pau.

Parker 09
07-18-2006, 05:41 AM
if there is no foul out why take him off the floor, all this limited his minutes, just pull him over during the free throws tell what he's doing wrong to get these fouls and tell him to change it.
Really starting to see this Ian in black and silver as more of a reality, he's picking up decent stats and a Butler Ian frontcourt sounds nice.
i'd say that we have roughly a 20% chance of seeing him here next year

picnroll
07-18-2006, 08:25 AM
Few interesting things form the DraftExpress scouting report. First time I've heard anyone say Ian has good form and touch on his outside shot. Of course the last games' DrafteXpress report said he had no outside shot to speak of so it remains to be seen but a glimmer of hope.

Second first time I've heard the obvious stated. Mahinimi short of a last second growth spurt and adding a ton of weight is a power forward, the quick, agile type. With that if he wants to be a maximum force on bnoth ends he needs to develop an outside shot and some degree of ballhandling skills ultimately.

But so far so good. The few predicting bust like GIG are looking dumber everyday.

timvp
07-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Long, skinny bigmen never do good in summer league games. Summer leagues are dominated by guards and undersized power forwards with good post moves (for example, Scola would dominate). Rarely do you see players with Mahinmi's body type play well.

If he can keep this up over the final three games, he might actually be ready to be brought over and given 5-10 minutes a night. However we'll see if he can keep up this pace. It's pretty doubtful seeing how he's in uncharted waters.

picnroll
07-18-2006, 10:39 AM
Reports and stats seem to show him improving, becoming more comfortable as the RMR progresses. Maybe the competition game to game. We'll get a better feel once we see hm on TV.

Bruno
07-18-2006, 10:46 AM
I'm happy that Mahinmi is doing good. As said the draftexpress guy "Spurs fans have something to get excited about" :smokin

I still think the best thing for him is to stay in europe one more year but if he can be an energy player who grab some boards, score some garbege points and play good D for 10-15 min per game (a little like Varajao with Cleveland), it can be an usefull player for us next year.

Mr. Body
07-18-2006, 10:49 AM
I never thought he might be ready yet. Certainly not ready for extended time, but he's lithe and agile, his positioning is great, and he seems to have a nice feel for the game.

Elson matched? Bring him over. But the best for him would have him stay in France.

alamo50
07-18-2006, 12:13 PM
If Ian becomes a Spur, its return of the Twin Towers :greenelephant

:elephant

yavozerb
07-18-2006, 01:22 PM
Man, talk about a youth movement if we end up getting butler and mahinmi!! Not sure if it will happen cause im sure pop wants a veteran to play the 5 (excluding TD) so probably butler this year and Ian next!!