PDA

View Full Version : S.Jackson

OTD
07-17-2006, 07:32 PM
When jackson was playing for you, did he spend 1/2 his time argueing with the refs. And the other 4 had to cover him on defense. I am just curious. I just cannot see Pop. puting up with that. Thanks

Kori Ellis
07-17-2006, 07:33 PM
No. Pop had more control of him than that.

Mr. Body
07-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Having Duncan and Robinson probably tamped him down a bit, too. The team culture was a bit different. Having Artest around hurt, and Jermaine O'Neal isn't a strong enough personality to keep him under wraps.

pjjrfan
07-17-2006, 07:36 PM
I saw him kicking some chairs, getting angry at calls, but I don't remember him getting any T's or being really rowdy, I remember in game 6 in the finals Pop pulled him out early after like his 3rd or 4th straight turnover and SMith, Ferry, and coach Brown talking to him and calming him down. Sjax needs a lot of direction, having him paired with Artest was not good for him. This year he missed Reggie's leadership. The whole team did.

Kori Ellis
07-17-2006, 07:36 PM
Having Duncan and Robinson probably tamped him down a bit, too. The team culture was a bit different. Having Artest around hurt, and Jermaine O'Neal isn't a strong enough personality to keep him under wraps.

I agree.

Jack will admit himself that he needs a lot of structure and discipline. He's very influenced by his environment (his immaturity I guess) and needs some people around him to rein him in.

Obstructed_View
07-17-2006, 08:08 PM
The Spurs didn't whine when Jack was here. They were a great calming influence on him, and he needed every bit of it.

romsey31
07-17-2006, 08:41 PM
The Spurs didn't whine when Jack was here. They were a great calming influence on him, and he needed every bit of it.
I wish he was gone. I hate his attitude, but I love his heart

FromWayDowntown
07-17-2006, 09:11 PM
When Jack did start going after officials while in SA, Pop was pretty quick with a hook and not afraid to bring whichever of Manu or Bowen was not on the floor already. Having that sort of wing rotation makes it a bit easier for a coach to be a hardass about distractions.

TDMVPDPOY
07-17-2006, 10:09 PM
when jack went to pacers, he stopped makin love to pressure, only love to ron ron

scott
07-17-2006, 10:37 PM
He was far too busy turning the ball over in SA to be arguing with refs.

baseline bum
07-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Jackson mostly hit dagger threes and dribbled the ball of his foot when he was in SA.

tmtcsc
07-17-2006, 11:15 PM
:lol I remember Pop pulling Jax out w/in the 1st 45 secs of a game before. He had NO tolerance for shennanigans.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-17-2006, 11:42 PM
SJax is a very proud man.

He got into it here too, with Karl Malone and Kobe...but it was never as bad as he got in Indy. I don't think he would have gone that far in the brawl if Artest hadn't gone into the crowd...the guy was just defending his boy. I would too.

Solid D
07-18-2006, 01:01 AM
Mike Brown, when he was an assistant with SA, was also a strong influence on Jack. I'm not sure how that may have worked in Indy.

Jack was still a bit wild.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-18-2006, 02:21 AM
SJax is a very proud man.

He got into it here too, with Karl Malone and Kobe...but it was never as bad as he got in Indy. I don't think he would have gone that far in the brawl if Artest hadn't gone into the crowd...the guy was just defending his boy. I would too.

Proud? Don't you mean childish and immature?

A child acts out and demands his "respect", a man respects himself and others respect him for that.

See, calling it "pride" is exactly what is wrong with society today. It's not pride, it's lack of self control, pure and simple.

pache100
07-18-2006, 12:49 PM
A child acts out and demands his "respect", a man respects himself and others respect him for that.
See, calling it "pride" is exactly what is wrong with society today. It's not pride, it's lack of self control, pure and simple.

Damn. That was good. I have to put that in my quotes collection... :worthy:

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-18-2006, 12:57 PM
SJax has never been a great defender or ball handler and it's always taken a committee to keep him under control.

He lost his babysitters after he left SA.

boutons_
07-18-2006, 01:42 PM
"SJax has never been a great defender or ball handler"

... or rebounder or ASTer or good BB IQ. ie, he's nothing but a blackhole of a shooter with a very poor career FG% and 3G%. All that is apart from the big negative of his attitude and self-control problems.

baseline bum
07-18-2006, 02:45 PM
Jack is still the greatest clutch-shooter I can ever remember the Spurs having.

- He won a game against Boston with a three with 1.5 seconds or so
- He hit a three at the buzzer to force OT with the Timberwolves back when they were good in a monster 4th quarter comeback
- He hit 3 threes in the 4th quarter of game 6 of the WCF against Dallas to cut a 13 point lead down to like 1, starting a 23-0 run
- He hit 3 threes in a row in the 4th quarter of game 6 of the Finals vs. the Nets, leading the Spurs on the 19-0 run that won them the title.
- In game 2 of the Finals he hit a huge three off the MDM play to get the Spurs within 1 with about 10-12 seconds left in a monster comeback, and just barely missed the three that would have won the game with 2 seconds left.

Jack is as cold-blooded as shooters get, and I'd take him back in SA in a second. His size made him such a weapon here. He used to get so many easy buckets inside on shorter 2-guards when he'd cut past Duncan. He could get his shot off on anyone. He was hot and cold, but absolutely never scared. I wish he could have the kind of success he had on the Spurs in Indiana, because he's still one of my favorite players in the league.

Taking it to the Hole
07-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Wish we could have him back here, but I doubt that would ever happened. But you gotta know, he misses this team. I think this team is a place he felt he belonged and he had people here who supported him and fans who embraced him. I don't think people from Indiana have the same warmth and understanding as people from Texas do. It's a Texas thang. :smokin

ShoogarBear
07-18-2006, 03:23 PM
You forgot that incredible game in November 2002, the Spurs vs. the Lakers early in the year in the SBC. LA were without Shaq, but the Spurs came out playing scared and LA grabbed a huge early lead. If SA lost that game, they were probably never ever going to beat the Lakers.

SJax came off the bench and was the only Spur with a pulse. He stepped up and hit about 3 threes in quick succession and the Spurs ended up trailing after the first by only 6. I think SJax also logged some time on Kobe, who started out blazing but ended up 8-25. SA ended up grinding out a tougher-than-it-should-have-been 95-88 win, SJax finished with 28 points and 8-10 behind the arc.

Yep, on a per game basis, NOBODY--not Ice, not Silas, not Manu--hit as many clutch shots as SJax. And I disagree with EHJ; when he was here his defense was fine for the most part.

Mr. Body
07-18-2006, 03:27 PM
- He hit 3 threes in a row in the 4th quarter of game 6 of the Finals vs. the Nets, leading the Spurs on the 19-0 run that won them the title.

I don't expect to ever see him in a Spurs uniform again, but he completely blew that game open. Just hard nuts in that game.

ShoogarBear
07-18-2006, 04:09 PM
I forgot about Game 2 of the 2003 Finals. Yeah, if he had hit that last shot, he would have been off the charts.

T Park
07-18-2006, 04:23 PM
You forgot that incredible game in November 2002, the Spurs vs. the Lakers early in the year in the SBC. LA were without Shaq, but the Spurs came out playing scared and LA grabbed a huge early lead. If SA lost that game, they were probably never ever going to beat the Lakers.

SJax came off the bench and was the only Spur with a pulse. He stepped up and hit about 3 threes in quick succession and the Spurs ended up trailing after the first by only 6. I think SJax also logged some time on Kobe, who started out blazing but ended up 8-25. SA ended up grinding out a tougher-than-it-should-have-been 95-88 win, SJax finished with 28 points and 8-10 behind the arc.

Yeah he inspired me that night to win the big screen in the Whataburger thing :) :lol

ShoogarBear
07-18-2006, 04:24 PM
Was that the game? :lol

You still got that ticket stub?

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-18-2006, 04:25 PM
SJax's official position could be "designated shooter".

Please_dont_ban_me
07-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Proud? Don't you mean childish and immature?

Lack of self control?

If you're on a team and you're guy goes into the stands...you can curse him afterwards for being a fucking idiot...but at the time you go after him and help him out of the situation.

Beer is Good
07-18-2006, 06:48 PM
Lack of self control?

If you're on a team and you're guy goes into the stands...you can curse him afterwards for being a fucking idiot...but at the time you go after him and help him out of the situation.

He needed help throwing fists at a computer geek half his size?

Please_dont_ban_me
07-18-2006, 09:38 PM
He needed help throwing fists at a computer geek half his size?

"A" computer geek, no.

Make that 20,000 geeks...and I don't care if they have carpel masturbation syndrome anybody would need a helping hand.

baseline bum
07-18-2006, 10:34 PM

Yep, on a per game basis, NOBODY--not Ice, not Silas, not Manu--hit as many clutch shots as SJax. And I disagree with EHJ; when he was here his defense was fine for the most part.

I forgot that... Jack hit 8-10 from the 3-point line that game.

Bob Lanier
07-18-2006, 10:52 PM
Add clutch shooting to the list of other qualities Jackson lost when he left the Spurs. He's somewhat renowned for his choking in Indiana.

A no-D, chucking black-hole of a choker with an awful attitude - maybe all he needs is a trip back to San Antonio, but I don't really believe that he'd magically revert to St. Jack just by walking through the doors to the AT&T Center.

Beer is Good
07-19-2006, 10:32 PM
"A" computer geek, no.

Make that 20,000 geeks...and I don't care if they have carpel masturbation syndrome anybody would need a helping hand.

From what I saw 20000 people didn't attack Ron Artest. Ron Artest attacked at least one person, maybe more depending on how you look at it. Even so, what is SJax or anyone gonna do against 20000 people? In your scenario he would just be a fucking idiot.

MI21
07-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Imagine a Manu/Bowen/Jackson/Finley 2/3 and dare I say small 4 rotation.

I don't know who starts and who doesn't but it would be fun.

:hat