View Full Version : Duncan thinks WWE is a slam dunk

Kori Ellis
07-18-2006, 03:50 AM
Duncan thinks WWE is a slam dunk
By Ed Williams III
July 17, 2006

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/articlephotos/timflairhbk.jpg

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/duncanwwe

Every NBA fan already knows that Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs is arguably the best player in the NBA, but what they may not know is that the three-time NBA Champion is also a huge WWE fan. Since RAW was at the AT&T Center, the Spurs’ home arena, it was only fitting that Duncan was on hand.

And it’s also fitting that one of his favorite Superstars is San Antonio’s own Shawn Michaels.

“I watch (WWE) all the time,” said the two-time NBA Most Valuable Player. “I’ve met (Shawn Michaels) a couple different times, and I love to come see the (Superstars). I also love seeing Ric (Flair).”

Also the NBA Finals MVP in 1999, 2003 and 2005, Duncan is no stranger to capacity crowds and rabid fans, but he says nothing compares to a WWE crowd.

“Wrestling fans are so crazy,” said Duncan, one of only 10 NBA players to win the MVP award more than once. “Everywhere you go, it’s a packed house. It’s awesome. It’s just a great show to see.”

timvp
07-18-2006, 03:51 AM
Can this offseason get any worse?

Streakyshooter08
07-18-2006, 03:52 AM

:lol

T Park
07-18-2006, 03:57 AM
:rolleyes

sghspurs
07-18-2006, 04:01 AM
wtf tim?

J.T.
07-18-2006, 04:07 AM
What next, is Tony a Britney Spears fan?

Ninja-Defense
07-18-2006, 04:13 AM
wtf tim?

Maybe TD enjoys it in that ironic, so-fake-and-stupid-that-it's-funny-kind-of-way? I know I do... :oops

STEVEYCU
07-18-2006, 04:18 AM
Hey good for SA to score an event that gets watched as much as raw, yah wrastlin is bout as good as NASCAR and Cers light, but it gives the city a spotlight without the Spurs logo for a night

jman3000
07-18-2006, 04:31 AM
sandra works there... im pretty sure.

jman3000
07-18-2006, 04:31 AM
so does angel luv... right?

jman3000
07-18-2006, 04:37 AM
who else on here?

Quadzilla99
07-18-2006, 04:45 AM
WWE=Grown men play fighting.

jman3000
07-18-2006, 05:00 AM
sandra said they have to clear everyone out of the arena so they can rehearse what they are gonna do.. wtf? i liked wrestling when i was younger..but not no more

Shaolin-Style
07-18-2006, 05:30 AM
lol that's pretty cool I think, I don't watch wrestling as much as I used to since it's gone way down hill but in the day I enjoyed it ric flair and michaels were pretty awesome(the rockers!)

good to see td, hope he's healing up good

GrandeDavid
07-18-2006, 05:36 AM
I knew Tim was a big fan of the PS2 video game Smackdown vs. Raw. I guess it transferred over to real life.

ZStomp
07-18-2006, 06:24 AM
sandra said they have to clear everyone out of the arena so they can rehearse what they are gonna do.. wtf? i liked wrestling when i was younger..but not no more

What? Do you know Sandra personally?

sanman53
07-18-2006, 06:25 AM
Yet another reason to be a Duncan fan.

nWo 4-Life

UtownSpur
07-18-2006, 07:23 AM
I knew Tim was a big wrestling fan. He has been a big Ric Flair fan since college. I think i recall him having Flair sit on the Wake Forest bench one time during a game..or something similar to that.

Buddy Holly
07-18-2006, 08:04 AM
I remeber an article from TD's rookie year where Antonio Daniels said when they went on the road you'd always find Tim Duncan in his hotel room watching monday night wrestling.

TDMVPDPOY
07-18-2006, 08:26 AM
duncan has stole a few moves from ric flair every time he gets a foul and puts his hands up....

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-18-2006, 08:53 AM
The WWE sucks now that all the legends are gone. I was a HUGE fan when I was a kid. But I just never got used to everybody gone and all these new people I've never heard of in.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-18-2006, 09:10 AM
Well I'm not surprised that he'd be a Flair fan having gone to Wake Forest. The Carolinas are Nature Boy Country. Maybe he'll get the Spurs to start using "Also Sprach Zarathustra" instead of "Y'all Ready for This?"

Tim's a shot hittin', quote spittin', bank shot swishin', assist dishin' son of a gun! Whooooooooo!

leemajors
07-18-2006, 09:13 AM

he could be talking about his wizard alter ego.

greywheel
07-18-2006, 09:19 AM
WWE Grown men play fighting.

It's a soap opera for men.

Summers
07-18-2006, 09:38 AM

:lol I'm so embarrassed for him. I never knew Tim was closeted white trash. (Just kidding! Don't nobody be hatin' on me! Hell, I'm from East Texas; he'd fit right in with my family.)

timvp
07-18-2006, 09:44 AM
whottt likes the Spurs even more now . . .

whottt
07-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Fucking and everyone trashed me for being a wrestling fan....

<<<<Not surprised, I told you guys a lot of NBA players were wrestling fans.

Actually...most athletes are, because it does take athletic ability, and you have to be a tough mofo(usually).

And what was really funny about when you guys trashed me...San Antonio is a wrestling town and always has been.

All Spursfans should be Shawn Michaels fans...he's was going to games and supporting the Spurs long before it was fashionable to do so.

leemajors
07-18-2006, 09:49 AM
any chance the spurstalk shawn michaels resurfaces now?

whottt
07-18-2006, 10:09 AM
Anybody that thinks of wrestling as being merely "fake"...

I have a challenge for you...sometime when a wrestling event is in your town, go see if you can get a chance to get in the ring and throw yourself against the ropes...just one time.

Then tell yourself the feeling you have is, "fake".

Then realize that is probably the least painful thing they do in the ring.

BTW, you'll have more luck trying this at an Indy event.

Scriped outcomes suck but the actual physical activity and punishment in the ring is anything but fake(90% of the time), even ift hey are trying to protect each other...and wrestlers give your moneys worth of blood sweat and tears more than any proffesional athlete does. Scripted outcome or not. These guys get more broken necks, backs and wrecked bodies than any pro athlete. That's why they pretty much all die young.

Imagine being thrown down on your neck and back 10 times a night 300 nights a year...it's a hard job.

leemajors
07-18-2006, 10:10 AM
on a side note, has anyone read "the wrestler's cruel study" by steven dobyns? very good stuff.

SoCalSpursFan
07-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Timmy smells what the rock is cookin. I know I did.

timvp
07-18-2006, 10:14 AM
That's why they pretty much all die young.

That has more to do with taking farm animal sized doses of steroids and pain killers.

But carry on. You've been waiting for an article like this for year.

clambake
07-18-2006, 10:14 AM
San Antonio just lost 20 years to the civilized world. Say it ain't so timmy!

whottt
07-18-2006, 10:17 AM
That has more to do with taking farm animal sized doses of steroids and pain killers.

pwnt!

ShoogarBear
07-18-2006, 10:19 AM
You have to be in shape and a good athlete and tough to be a stuntman, too. And stuntmen get hurt. But it's still fake.

Wrestling = stunts

nkdlunch
07-18-2006, 10:20 AM
So Tim Duncan is a dork. What's new.

whottt
07-18-2006, 10:24 AM
You have to be in shape and a good athlete and tough to be a stuntman, too. And stuntmen get hurt. But it's still fake.

Wrestling = stunts

Stuntmen aren't near as disrespected as Wrestlers are...nor is the profession viewed as being some kind of cheap ripoff like wrestling is...that's a big difference.

And I'll say that Wrestlers take much more punishment than Stuntmen do...

angel_luv
07-18-2006, 10:26 AM
Wow!

Really, Timmy? :lol

ShoogarBear
07-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Stuntmen aren't near as disrespected as Wrestlers are...nor is the profession viewed as being some kind of cheap ripoff like wrestling is...that's a big difference.

And I'll say that Wrestlers take much more punishment than Stuntmen do...

That's because stuntmen aren't insulting our intelligence.

Trainwreck2100
07-18-2006, 10:32 AM
Wrestling sucks because there's no major competition since Vince bought his two biggest rivals so the writing sucks ass, and outlawed all the cool moves to protect hiis investment.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Wrestling sucks because there's no major competition since Vince bought his two biggest rivals so the writing sucks ass, and outlawed all the cool moves to protect hiis investment.

True that. For my money my favorite times in wrestling came from the pressure that the WWF/WCW rivalry produced.

mabber
07-18-2006, 10:43 AM

Wrestling = stunts

Exactly, they rehearse everything and the outcome is already decided. How stupid is that??? Of course the guys are tough and have to be in good shape to do the stunts but it's still all BS.

spurs=bling
07-18-2006, 11:18 AM
What? Do you know Sandra personally?

its pretty cool that Duncan was there.

Z is jealous of Jman :lol

whottt
07-18-2006, 11:25 AM
That's because stuntmen aren't insulting our intelligence.

Um...if you think the action in movies is more real than wrestling and the outcomes aren't just as scripted...then you need to go back to intelligence school.

It's the exact same thing...with the exception that Wrestlers need to be better actors than Stuntmen. And they also have to work harder and the job is more risky...

mabber
07-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Um...if you think the action in movies is more real than wrestling and the outcomes aren't just as scripted...then you need to go back to intelligence school.

It's the exact same thing...with the exception that Wrestlers need to be better actors than Stuntmen. And they also have to work harder and the job is more risky...

You're missing the point. No one is questioning how hard it is to do what wrestlers do. It's the fact that it's all scripted and they try to play it like it's not. Obviously, movies are scripted.

jman3000
07-18-2006, 11:31 AM
its pretty cool that Duncan was there.

Z is jealous of Jman :lol

Who isn't?

:smokin

ShoogarBear
07-18-2006, 11:32 AM

You miss the point. The stuntmen aren't claiming it's real; they freely acknowledge they're technicians/artists trying to achieve an effect.

Stuntmen:Wrestlers::Actors:People who appear on Jerry Springer

whottt
07-18-2006, 11:34 AM
You're missing the point. No one is questioning how hard it is to do what wrestlers do. It's the fact that it's all scripted and they try to play it like it's not. Obviously, movies are scripted.

And obviously wrestling is scripted, hence the name "Sports Entertainment"...and the only jokes are those that think they are one of the "elite" that realize it is scripted.

And BTW, the coolest thing is that sometimes wrestlers don't go by the script...and they don't always protect each other either.

IE, it's not always fake...

So don't think you know everything about it...it's a quirky business.

Just because the script calls for a wrestler to lose, doesn't always mean they are willing to do it...

weebo
07-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Something about two big greased up big guys grabbing and rolling around a mat with each other that seems pretty gay. Way to go Tim.

whottt
07-18-2006, 11:36 AM
You miss the point. The stuntmen aren't claiming it's real; they freely acknowledge they're technicians/artists trying to achieve an effect.

Stuntmen:Wrestlers::Actors:People who appear on Jerry Springer

LOL Shoogar...do you really think you are one of the few that realizes it's scripted?

Do you think the majority of the fans don't realize that?

That's the funny thing.

What's your next revelation? That the earth is round?

whottt
07-18-2006, 11:39 AM
Something about two big greased up big guys grabbing and rolling around a mat with each other that seems pretty gay. Way to go Tim.

That's funny...I've watched a thousand wrestling matches and never thought it seemed gay...

Perhaps you are just a little uncomfortable with the direction your mind wanders when you see two half naked men in a ring...

Your issue, not mine.

ShoogarBear
07-18-2006, 11:42 AM
What's your next revelation? That the earth is round?

That's an advanced course for those who have passed Wrestling Sucks.

whottt
07-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Does that come before or after movies aren't real either?

Beer is Good
07-18-2006, 11:46 AM
The problem with wrestling is not that it's scripted entertainment, but that it's BAD, HORRIBLY acted scripted entertainment. So therefore, they would be akin to stuntmen on, say, some horror B movie. Horrible acting, horrible movie, real risks. I don't mind it being fake - all TV and Movies are fake with the exception of real, regulated sports. I just think the plot lines and acting is bad. I think that is what everyone on here who doesn't like wrestling really takes exception to if they really think about it.

George Gervin's Afro
07-18-2006, 11:47 AM

:spless:

kris
07-18-2006, 11:47 AM

And there is also the matter of those acme bricks of cocaine.

Steroids + Cocaine = 50 year ceiling

I still think the WWF (I don't like E) is cool, but I don't watch it but once every 2 or 3 months. If the haters watched wrestling in it's golden era of late 80's early 90's then you'd probably have a better idea why people still hold on to it.

Triple H is by far the best out there today.

PS I think someone said Ric Flair and Shawn Michaels were the Rockers. If so, it's supposed to be Marty Jannette

rayray2k8
07-18-2006, 11:50 AM
:D

whottt
07-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Alright, so they're not going to win any Oscars for their acting ability...usually.

But generally they aren't trying to...

The three things they are usually trying to do is

#1. Piss people off.
#2. Make people laugh.
#3. Be convincing as either an archetypical good guy or a bad guy.

That's it and the best ones pull that off effectively...some of them so effectively that their in ring persona is actually believed to be their out of ring...even by people that realize wrestling is fake.

But some of the wrestlers are actually pretty good actors.

Roddy Piper comes to mind immediately...

whottt
07-18-2006, 11:54 AM
The problem with wrestling is not that it's scripted entertainment, but that it's BAD, HORRIBLY acted scripted entertainment. So therefore, they would be akin to stuntmen on, say, some horror B movie. Horrible acting, horrible movie, real risks. I don't mind it being fake - all TV and Movies are fake with the exception of real, regulated sports. I just think the plot lines and acting is bad. I think that is what everyone on here who doesn't like wrestling really takes exception to if they really think about it.

I bet you're also one of those guys that goes to see a James Bond movie and thinks he clever for picking a part the plot, aren't ya?

weebo
07-18-2006, 11:55 AM
That's funny...I've watched a thousand wrestling matches and never thought it seemed gay...

Perhaps you are just a little uncomfortable with the direction your mind wanders when you see two half naked men in a ring...

Your issue, not mine.

Which is your favorite? A headlock or armlock?

CaptainLate
07-18-2006, 11:56 AM
What next, is Tony a Britney Spears fan?

Bread and circuses keep the sheeple occupied...even the role models who should be influencing this country away from its police state direction. :depressed Doping the general public is so easily achieved these days. One wonders what it will take to wake them up from their stupor.

Kamnik
07-18-2006, 12:02 PM

my thoughts exactly :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

whottt
07-18-2006, 12:05 PM
Just be careful about your comments guys...

You wouldn't want to offend the heart and soul of the team(you know, the guy who about half the board are either named after or have a pic of in their sig or avatar)...

Smarties.

whottt
07-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Let's see...

The best bigmen on the last 8 NBA champions...

Wrestling Fans.

Shaq
Sheed
Duncan
Maybe Ben Wallace...

I wonder if Duncan was bummed that Sheed didn't pass him the belt when we bumped off the Pistons.

rayray2k8
07-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Its sports entertainment people. If you dont like it, then dont watch it. Everyone who watches it knows that wrestling is fake. When a ref, wrestler, owner screws over another, people are aware that its part of a storyline.
But when it happens in the NBA, people think its a conspiracy. :lol

Beer is Good
07-18-2006, 12:18 PM
I bet you're also one of those guys that goes to see a James Bond movie and thinks he clever for picking a part the plot, aren't ya?

No, I don't pick apart anything, but I do require some sort of mental stimulation or entertainment that fits with my interests. You don't have to get defensive BUDDY - I'm not saying that anyone who watches wrestling is an idiot or of low IQ. I am merely saying that I like to spend my limited entertainment time on things that interest me and are of, in my opinion, a higher quality of entertainment. If wrestling is your cake, then eat it and love it.

My other point was that many people on here were saying they have a problem with wrestling because it's fake. I was saying that for most of them that probably isn't true because movies and almost all television is also fake. I think the problem they have with it is the problem I have with it - not that it's fake, but that it just isn't very well scripted and acted. You may be a person who likes it for it's simplicity and silliness, but not everyone wants that.

Beer is Good
07-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Alright, so they're not going to win any Oscars for their acting ability...usually.

But generally they aren't trying to...

The three things they are usually trying to do is

#1. Piss people off.
#2. Make people laugh.
#3. Be convincing as either an archetypical good guy or a bad guy.
That's it and the best ones pull that off effectively...some of them so effectively that their in ring persona is actually believed to be their out of ring...even by people that realize wrestling is fake.

But some of the wrestlers are actually pretty good actors.

Roddy Piper comes to mind immediately...

1. When I have watched wrestling - it just doesn't do either of the three things you mentioned for me. That's why I equate wrestling to a bad B movie.

2. Roddy Piper? Have you seen any of his movies? If anything, I enjoy the Rock much more as an actor than any other wrestler at any time. He was actually enjoyable to watch, even in wrestling. And maybe the Godfather for the HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Train :lol

leemajors
07-18-2006, 12:32 PM
1. When I have watched wrestling - it just doesn't do either of the three things you mentioned for me. That's why I equate wrestling to a bad B movie.

2. Roddy Piper? Have you seen any of his movies? If anything, I enjoy the Rock much more as an actor than any other wrestler at any time. He was actually enjoyable to watch, even in wrestling. And maybe the Godfather for the HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Train :lol

they live was way better than anything the rock starred in.

Beer is Good
07-18-2006, 12:38 PM
they live was way better than anything the rock starred in.

Saw it. Thought it sucked. Still think it sucks. Pointless to argue over something as subjective as interest in movies. What you like may not be what I like. I'm not going to argue over stupid things like that.

whottt
07-18-2006, 12:43 PM
Terry Funk was pretty good in Road House and Paradise Alley too.

Beer is Good
07-18-2006, 12:44 PM
Terry Funk was pretty good in Road House and Paradise Alley too.

:lol :lol Terry Funk in Roadhouse - I forgot about that!

I will say that part was tailor made for the wild man.

whottt
07-18-2006, 12:45 PM
Saw it. Thought it sucked. Still think it sucks. Pointless to argue over something as subjective as interest in movies. What you like may not be what I like. I'm not going to argue over stupid things like that.

If you didn't get They Live then it's because the point of it was over your head...

And anyone that thinks Stuntmen>Wrestlers needs to go back and watch the fight scene between Roddy Piper and Keith David in They Live...

Best Fight Scene in the history of movies...because it was more or less a real fight except for the punches to the face.

whottt
07-18-2006, 12:46 PM
Honestly...it's Hogan that gave acting wrestlers a bad name...

He's the shittiest actor ever, he's also the shittiest wrestler ever IMO.

Before Hogan not everyone was completely certain it was fake...

Beer is Good
07-18-2006, 12:49 PM
If you didn't get They Live then it's because the point of it was over your head...

And anyone that thinks Stuntmen>Wrestlers needs to go back and watch the fight scene between Roddy Piper and Keith David in They Live...

Best Fight Scene in the history of movies...because it was more or less a real fight except for the punches to the face.

HAHAHAHA... the point of the movie doesn't have to be over someone's head for them not to like the movie. The fight scene was good, but I didn't care for the movie. 'Nuff Said.

timvp
07-18-2006, 12:49 PM
whottt, who is the better pure athlete ... Shawn Michaels or David Robinson?

Discuss.

Beer is Good
07-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Honestly...it's Hogan that gave acting wrestlers a bad name...

He's the shittiest actor ever, he's also the shittiest wrestler ever IMO.

Before Hogan not everyone was completely certain it was fake...

Finally, something that makes sense

rayray2k8
07-18-2006, 12:53 PM

Discuss.

They both have bad backs. :lol

whottt
07-18-2006, 01:10 PM
There ought to be a law against someone with the name "Beer is Good" not being a wrestling fan.

whottt
07-18-2006, 01:11 PM

Discuss.

David Robinson...without a doubt.

But I'd probably go with Michaels in a fight...

In fact I'd go with most real wrestlers in a fight over any other type athlete...including boxers.

The WWE used to have a standing offer that they would put their champion up against any Boxing Champion...

It happened a couple of times...

The wrestlers won.

The Boxers stopped accepting the challenge.

Too bad they didn' ever challenge Hogan or Warror...they'd have won those fights.

By real wrestlers I mean guys like Chris Benoit or Van Vader or even Andre the Giant....not Hulk Hogan.

And the Rock is probably capable of laying a serious asskicking on most men...

Not only is he a third generation wrestler, he's part Samoan, part of the Mavia clan and those dudes are some bad mofos...

strangeweather
07-18-2006, 01:21 PM
In fact I'd go with most real wrestlers in a fight over any other type athlete...including boxers.
What about those UFC mofos?

spurs=bling
07-18-2006, 01:27 PM
Who isn't?

:smokin
more props for you then.

timvp
07-18-2006, 01:32 PM
Okay whottt, in a street fight do you take Chris Benoit in his prime or Mike Tyson in his prime.

Question.

Mavs_man_41
07-18-2006, 01:34 PM

No way could most wrestlers win a fight over those UFC guys. Wrestlers are big tough guys and take a beating, but UFC fighters are trained to fight and thats all they do. None of it is fake.

ShoogarBear
07-18-2006, 01:53 PM

Well, duh. Wrestlers do good at faking fights in movies.

Do you think that faking fights consist the stuntman's entire repertoire?

BTW, how much wrestling did Keith David do again?

IcemanCometh
07-18-2006, 02:01 PM
jesus christ

when will it end

CaptainLate
07-18-2006, 02:03 PM
Roddy Piper? Have you seen any of his movies?

"They Live" is more truth than fiction. Remember people, bread and circuses.

[ John Carpenter wrote and directed this science fiction thriller about a group of aliens who try to take over the world by disguising themselves as Young Republicans. Wrestler Roddy Piper stars as John Nada, a drifter who makes his way into an immense encampment for the homeless. There he stumbles upon a conspiracy concerning aliens who have hypnotized the populace through subliminal messages transmitted through television, magazines, posters, and movies. When Nada looks through special Ray-Bans developed by the resistance leaders, the aliens lose their clean-cut "Dan Quayle" looks and resemble crusty-looking reptiles. Nada joins the underground, teaming up with rebel-leader Frank (Keith David) to eradicate the lizard-like aliens from the body politic. ~ Paul Brenner, All Movie Guide ]

Maybe Tim will wake up some day and become our John Nada. I had hoped DRob would, but he's stupid Establishment all the way. Navy brainwashed him good. :depressed

spurs=bling
07-18-2006, 02:07 PM

UFC fighters

http://media.ufc.tv/i.cfc?method=get&s=53FF38E6-1422-0E8C-9A9C981CDA0AF9B0.jpg&w=550&cs=1

CaptainLate
07-18-2006, 02:08 PM

I'll take a Bruce Lee over anyone you pick...except Indiana Jones. :lol :lol

cheguevara
07-18-2006, 02:08 PM
wrestling is gay

Shaolin-Style
07-18-2006, 02:12 PM
It's funny the way everyone bashes pro wrestling. Sure it's not a real sport but it's entertaining to a lot of people including TD apparently.

It's not white trash to like pro wrestling, it's white trash to be a redneck and mock it and the people who watch it.

btw it's pretty sad if you think it's actually homosexually intimate, you'd probably quiver from watching ufc fights

that said drob>>>>>>anyone in wrestling.

whottt
07-18-2006, 02:25 PM
Okay whottt, in a street fight do you take Chris Benoit in his prime or Mike Tyson in his prime.

Question.

Chris Fucking Benoit...

You aren't serious are you?

Tyson would be incapable of walking after that fight.

Wrestling holds and submissions are the superior form of fighting. Boxing is one of the most inferior.

Benoit is a fucking beast and he was trained by Stu Hart...

Stu Hart when he was 85 would have capable of kicking most mens asses...

I am not joking, they made training videos where Stu would just take grown men, likebacker size men...and make them cry like little girls. This was when he was in his 70's...and it wasn't fake when Stu started wrestling.

All it took was him to get two hands on you...

whottt
07-18-2006, 02:27 PM
No way could most wrestlers win a fight over those UFC guys. Wrestlers are big tough guys and take a beating, but UFC fighters are trained to fight and thats all they do. None of it is fake.

Um a lot of the UFC guys have wrestling background...

Ken Shamrock probably the greatest UFC Fighter was also a Pro Wrestler....with a submissions background.

Kurt Angle was a 2 time Olympic Gold Medalist and is also a Pro Wrester...

Tons of Pro Wrestlers had NCAA Champion backgrounds...like Jack Briscoe.

Nikos
07-18-2006, 02:28 PM
Chris Fucking Benoit...

You aren't serious are you?

Tyson would be incapable of walking after that fight.

Wrestling holds and submissions are the superior form of fighting. Boxing is one of the most inferior.

I would take the UFC/PRIDE guys over Wrestlers. But yeah, Wrestlers are all pretty much tough hombres.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-18-2006, 02:40 PM
I think the NBA is actually starting to build it's business model off of the WWE's. You have an evil chairman (Vince McMahon/Stern), stars that get handed accolades because the sheep fans like them (The Rock and Hulk Hogan/Dallas Mavericks), while ones with real talent have to fight three times as hard to even get an iota of respect because they don't say a bunch of silly catch phrases and kiss ass (Chris Benoit/Spurs).

Buddy Holly
07-18-2006, 02:44 PM
Yikes at this thread.

whottt
07-18-2006, 02:56 PM
Well, duh. Wrestlers do good at faking fights in movies.

Do you think that faking fights consist the stuntman's entire repertoire?

No but an inexperienced(in movie fighting) wrestler and an actor were capable of putting on one of the greatest movie fights.

And Piper isn't that great of a wrestler either...he's more from the Hulk Hogan school.

BTW, how much wrestling did Keith David do again?

Was Piper that carried most of the fighting in that scene(not exactly Piper's strength as a wrestler)...and did it better than most stuntmen are capable of doing.

David just fought...and he did a fantastic job of it.

Buddy Holly
07-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Again, YIKES at this thread.

cheguevara
07-18-2006, 03:00 PM
WWE Wrestling better than boxing???? :lol

are u fucking kiddin me???

Boxing is an art that takes years and a lot of training.

Kids fucking around in the backyard looks just as good as WWE.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-18-2006, 03:03 PM

No, kicks fucking around in the backyard paralyze themselves because people go around saying that wrestling is a bunch of bullshit that anyone can do.

cheguevara
07-18-2006, 03:04 PM
No, kicks fucking around in the backyard paralyze themselves because people go around saying that wrestling is a bunch of bullshit that anyone can do.

Dude, out of 1000 kids maybe 20 are paralized. don't exagerate.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-18-2006, 03:08 PM
What did I exagerate?

Bob Lanier
07-18-2006, 03:08 PM
Incidents like this are why I prefer not to know a damn thing about what entertainers (or any other public personages, for that matter) do in their personal lives.

Buddy Holly
07-18-2006, 03:10 PM
LOL at people who think wrestlers can kick anyones ass.

Yeah, unless the other fighter is willing to let the wrestlers pick them up or fall on a hit that barely razes the skin, I doubt a wrestler is gonna kick anyones ass.

whottt
07-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Well the fights between Wrestlers and Boxers are decidedly in favor of the wreslters...

And the Boxers want no part of the Wrestlers as a general rule...

Don King wouldn't let Muhammad Ali fight Andre the Giant. Not even in a scripted fight...

Instead he put him up against Antonio Ioki in a scripted fight.

Andre the Giant destroyed a guy that went 15 round with Ali...

Lou Thezs destroyed Jesey Joe Walcott in 4 rounds.

And when they do fight, the moves are usually restricted to ones that favor the boxers.

A boxer can dance around the ring all he wants but a true grappler is just going to grab him by the ankle and destroy his knee.

You can't punch someone who's got a hold of you.

Submission are probably the most superior of all forms of fighting....

Lots of guys have the speed to avoid a punch or even take one...but when a guy goes to tackle you it's very difficul to avoid that...and that's all a wreslter has to do...and once they've done it if they know submissions and got hold of you, you're fucked.

And wrestling wasn't always scripted you know....

It became scripted because true wrestling and sumbmissions is a boring spectator sport...that doesn't mean it's an inferior form of fighting.

Buddy Holly
07-18-2006, 03:16 PM
Well the fights between Wrestlers and Boxers are decidedly in favor of the wreslters...

WTF are you talking about?

What kind of wrestlers? Pro wrestlers or WWE/sports entertainment wrestlers?

And the boxers want no part of the Wrestlers as a general rule...

Yeah, I'm sure boxers are very scared at the thought of being piledrived. :rolleyes

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-18-2006, 03:26 PM
As a general rule, I would say that wrestlers are tougher than boxers nowadays. I can think of plenty of wrestlers who have gotten broken bones, concussions, etc. and finished matches and wrestled with injuries that would land any other professional athlete on the IR.

T Park
07-18-2006, 03:27 PM
"They Live" is more truth than fiction. Remember people, bread and circuses.

[ John Carpenter wrote and directed this science fiction thriller about a group of aliens who try to take over the world by disguising themselves as Young Republicans. Wrestler Roddy Piper stars as John Nada, a drifter who makes his way into an immense encampment for the homeless. There he stumbles upon a conspiracy concerning aliens who have hypnotized the populace through subliminal messages transmitted through television, magazines, posters, and movies. When Nada looks through special Ray-Bans developed by the resistance leaders, the aliens lose their clean-cut "Dan Quayle" looks and resemble crusty-looking reptiles. Nada joins the underground, teaming up with rebel-leader Frank (Keith David) to eradicate the lizard-like aliens from the body politic. ~ Paul Brenner, All Movie Guide ]

Maybe Tim will wake up some day and become our John Nada. I had hoped DRob would, but he's stupid Establishment all the way. Navy brainwashed him good

Am I not the only one that thinks this guy is certifiably nuts?

:lol@ all the people that say its "gay"

:lmao@ Buddy Holly for critisizing something like this, when he has Pee Wee freakin herman as his avatar for christ sake.

whottt
07-18-2006, 03:29 PM

Well I didn't say WWE...I said true Wrestlers. That have put in years honing their craft...

EG: John Cena - not a true wrestler...he'd get his ass kicked in a fight against a trained fighter.

But guys like Kurt Angle and Ken Shamrock are capable of putting a serious hurt on someone.

Mixability
07-18-2006, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior would kick anyones ass, even Chuck Norris..... :fro

cheguevara
07-18-2006, 03:39 PM
What did I exagerate?

u made a generalization than kids who imitate wrestling paralize themselves. Maybe 1% of them do, accidents happen anywhere.

whottt
07-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior sucked...not a real wrestler. Ditto Hogan, Nash and Goldberg and a ton of guys like that.

Freaking Hogan was a bass player in a band until he was in his mid 20's and he never learned to wrestle.

cheguevara
07-18-2006, 03:42 PM
Well I didn't say WWE...I said true Wrestlers. That have put in years honing their craft...

EG: John Cena - not a true wrestler...he'd get his ass kicked in a fight against a trained fighter.

But guys like Kurt Angle and Ken Shamrock are capable of putting a serious hurt on someone.

I partly agree that if a good wrestler gets a hold of a good boxer, the boxer is kaput. but I still don't see boxers being in a disadvantage.

Beleive me Don King would put mohammad ali vs. a Lion if it would make $$ sense.

And Mohammed Ali in his prime would crush 90% wrestlers.

there. I'm done w/my 5th grade level arguments.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-18-2006, 03:48 PM
u made a generalization than kids who imitate wrestling paralize themselves. Maybe 1% of them do, accidents happen anywhere.

And your assertion that kids playing in their backyards are just as good as pro wrestlers? And I didn't exagerate anything. The only point I was making is that the kids that do hurt themselves doing this shit in their backyards are out there doing it because of the public perception that wrestling is just a bunch of bullshit that anyone can do. I think a comparison between training as a boxer and a pro wrestler is apt in terms of the intensity and amount of time it takes to become good enough to make a living at it.

cheguevara
07-18-2006, 03:53 PM
And your assertion that kids playing in their backyards are just as good as pro wrestlers?

I said Kids fucking around in the backyard looks just as good as WWE.

And I didn't exagerate anything.

kicks fucking around in the backyard paralyze themselves

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-18-2006, 04:03 PM

This would be the full quote. I'm not saying that all kids who wrestle in the back yard sever their spinal chords. What I am saying is that the ones who do paralyze themselves do so because of the ignorant idea that professional wrestling can be done by anyone.

And I'm sorry if I didn't get the wording of your quote exactly right, although I find the sentiment equally off base.

cheguevara
07-18-2006, 04:11 PM
This would be the full quote. I'm not saying that all kids who wrestle in the back yard sever their spinal chords. What I am saying is that the ones who do paralyze themselves do so because of the ignorant idea that professional wrestling can be done by anyone.

And I'm sorry if I didn't get the wording of your quote exactly right, although I find the sentiment equally off base.

hehe cool. I do agree w/ur point that even pro wrestling takes a lot of training, etc. I was just commenting on the aesthetics of it.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-18-2006, 04:16 PM
hehe cool. I do agree w/ur point that even pro wrestling takes a lot of training, etc. I was just commenting on the aesthetics of it.

Fair enough. There are some guys like Hogan who did look like kids screwing around in the ring.

Spurologist
07-18-2006, 04:18 PM
So Timmay loves WWE

http://univision.tripod.com/ric_whoo.jpg

whooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

E20
07-18-2006, 04:27 PM
Wrestling was cool back in the day when it was WWF. And they had all the classics:

Lex Luger, Nash, Hall, HOgan, Rock, NWO, Shawn Micheals(young), Brett Heart, etc.......

Whottt, what about: Bruce Lee

Who would you take and why?

whottt
07-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Bruce Lee VS who?

I dunno...Martial Arts are a superior form of fighting to boxing as well IMO, much closer to wrestling and some martial arts actually incorporate quite a few submission holds as well.

And Bruce Lee was a legit badass...at least according to every other martial artist ever asked the question.

Dunno the answer to that one, because Lee was a freak who was incredibly fast and much stronger than he should have been for a man his size....he was one of a kind near as I can tell. Didn't fight pro enough to know if he was as good as everyone said...

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
07-18-2006, 05:01 PM
Every time I read an offseason article about Timmy, he always reveals more about his tastes being equivalent to that of an adolescent boy :lol

Wrestling is so formulaic you grow out of it eventually.

It's cool though, there's always 1 out of 5 in the group who make you go, "Wtf? How can you still enjoy this shit?" My buddy in college always change to WWE in the dorms.

cheguevara
07-18-2006, 05:03 PM
thank God whottt I thought u would say a wrestler would kill the dragon.

a real pissed off Bruce Lee could kill a man with one punch.

with his speed he could rip a man's balls off and show it to them before they notice.

Mavs_man_41
07-18-2006, 05:09 PM
Um a lot of the UFC guys have wrestling background...

Ken Shamrock probably the greatest UFC Fighter was also a Pro Wrestler....with a submissions background.

Kurt Angle was a 2 time Olympic Gold Medalist and is also a Pro Wrester...

Tons of Pro Wrestlers had NCAA Champion backgrounds...like Jack Briscoe.

Your not telling me anything new, i watch wrestling all the time. I quit watching WWF for a while after vince screwed Bret, then i switched over to wcw. I'm just saying that those UFC guys are probably the toughest guys on the planet. Not to take anything away from proffessional wrestlers, they have a tough job also. Besides kurt angle, there are alot of pro wrestlers who were amatuer wrestlers in college, such as shelton benjamin.

Beer is Good
07-18-2006, 05:11 PM
There ought to be a law against someone with the name "Beer is Good" not being a wrestling fan.

:lol I don't really care much for beer. I heard a song on XM called "Beer is Good" and that happened to be the first thing that came to my head when creating this name. But nice wit nonetheless.

Beer is Good
07-18-2006, 05:19 PM
I can't believe people are still arguing over this. Whott has gotta be attached to Vince's left nut - he's so fired up about this. PRiDE/UFC are basically mixed martial arts that come from many, many, many different fighting backgrounds. Most of the people now know how to incorporate wrestling along with striking (boxing) techniques, submission techniques, and various elements of Brazilian Juditzu (I guess that's how it's spelled) which teaches people to fight from submissive positions (say, from the back on the ground). Even still, it doesn't matter because a 105 lb. weenie can pull up an M-16 and reduce the toughest man on the planet to a mere blood stain. The invention of black powder really reduced this argument to regulated sporting events only.

whottt
07-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Well wrestling incorporates a lot of different types of fighting too...

UFC and Pro Wrestling are basically the same thing except one of them is scripted and the other is a shoot...and you have a lot more martial artists in UFC. But submission fighters are still dangerous...there just aren't that many of them anymore...because the money is better in pro-wrestling.

UFC is pretty much puroresu.

And how many of those UFC guys that are actually good are boxers?

None...because it's the most inferior form of fighting, period.

And BTW, I'm not a huge WWE fan any more since the quality of the matches has detriorated...in fact I haven't even watched it since early 2004.

I was generally always a fan of the Federation that didn't have Hulk Hogan..

But my all time favorite was SWCW from here in Texas...I watched that live all the time and used to get to go backstage.

ALVAREZ6
07-18-2006, 05:38 PM
I agree that UFC fighters could kick the wrestlers asses, but only if they are matched up fairly, around the same weight.

there are a few exceptions though, like that fucking Batista guy. But you gotta admit that wrestlers aren't much without there steroids.

Buddy Holly
07-18-2006, 05:39 PM
131 fucking posts?!?!

Beer is Good
07-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Boxing is a completely different animal. It's premise is to score points, not necessarily competely physically harm an opponent. That's where the Sport element comes in. MMA does incorporate a lot of wrestling - people like Matt Hughes are very adept at wrestling.

If you are talking about sanctioned wrestling, the type seen at the Olympics, then the object there very similar to boxing - to score points and not necessarily physically harm an opponent. That's where I am getting confused with this argument - are you arguing for the legitimacy of Olympic style wrestling, MMA incorporated wrestling, or "sports entertainment" professional wrestling? All three may involve elements of wrestling, but are as different as night and day from each other.

Beer is Good
07-18-2006, 05:42 PM
131 fucking posts?!?!
Don't you love it. And all because TIMMMMMY loves to watch WWE. :lol

spursmode
07-18-2006, 05:44 PM
This just in, TD is a big fan of Japan's MXC Extreme Elimination and will be a contestant next week, right after he wrestles Hulk Hogan and sings a duet with Hogan's daughter.

spursmode
07-18-2006, 05:46 PM
This offseason sucks. Could someone please just start making up trades that just happened and post them. SOMEBODY MAKE SOME SHIT UP. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

whottt
07-18-2006, 05:52 PM
There's only like 50 other threads on the page...no one forcing you guys to read this one. Idiots.

spursmode
07-18-2006, 05:58 PM
There's only like 50 other threads on the page...no one forcing you guys to read this one. Idiots.

Can't argue with you there........... stupid dumbass!

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Buddy Holly's right, let's get this basketball forum back on track:

Which wrestler do the Spurs need to sign this offseason?

I'm thinking Kane. He's got the size and physicality to make a good back up center. He does have some character issues but the Spurs have a good record of ironing those out.

ChumpDumper
07-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Kane actually played center at some podunk school in Missouri.

AMOS7
07-18-2006, 06:33 PM
Kane actually played NCAA basketball.

Kane is one of my favorites

whottt
07-18-2006, 06:38 PM
Kevin Nash played at UTenn and in Europe...

Pretty sure Paul Wight had to have played some college ball at some point.

Probably others as well...any guy 6'7 or taller probably played some ball at some point.

mabber
07-18-2006, 07:29 PM
A wrestler would probably be an excellent flopper.

Spurologist
07-18-2006, 08:19 PM
Buddy Holly's right, let's get this basketball forum back on track:

I'm thinking Kane. He's got the size and physicality to make a good back up center. He does have some character issues but the Spurs have a good record of ironing those out.

nah. Why not add another super-star. He's power forward with point guard size. Think about it. He would be a *GAME changer. IT'S TIME TO PLAY THE GAME.

*Batista at the FOUR postion would be nice. That is extreme power to help rebouding that was a major problem throughout the season. Instant Impact.

*Results may vary

Guru of Nothing
07-18-2006, 09:07 PM
Hey everyone, look! Tim is wearing an Adidas shirt.

spursmode
07-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Major Announcement:

Tim Duncan was spotted at the popular Chinese Restaraunt Tai Pei last week.

Does this mean we are getting Yao or do they just make a mean lemon chicken?

Should we start a poll?

G-Money
07-18-2006, 10:27 PM
WWE owns. I hate when people bash the WWE or Pro Wrestling period. WWE might be scripted but you still have to know what your doing out there. It takes a lot of work to master a lot of those moves.

And if you think all wrestling is fake then start watching wresting from japan, those guys are freaking crazy.

Its kool TD likes wrestling.

ALVAREZ6
07-18-2006, 10:47 PM

Well since Robertas Javtokas is out of the picture, and the Spurs need rebounding, and enforcer, a physical dude with size, I'd go with Batista:

http://hp.kutikomi.net/y2k/img/batista.jpg

the only downside is he won't pass a single drug test.

Shaolin-Style
07-18-2006, 10:48 PM
the big show vs shaq would be funny lol

DaSpurs#1
07-18-2006, 10:52 PM
Major Announcement:

Tim Duncan was spotted at the popular Chinese Restaraunt Tai Pei last week.

Does this mean we are getting Yao or do they just make a mean lemon chicken?

Should we start a poll?i got Tim Duncan's autograph outside of Tai Pei once :angel

awmyplace
07-18-2006, 10:54 PM
i got Tim Duncan's autograph outside of Tai Pei once :angel

judaspriestess
07-18-2006, 11:14 PM
OMG Ric Flair? is that him in that pic? I used to watch him wrestle back in the World Class Wrestling against the Von Erichs all the freaking time. :lol

This was back in 82-85 at the Freeman Coliseum. I was just a teeny bopper back then :angel

Anyone remember the Freebirds??? they were funny!!

about 5 years ago, when I was a flight attendant, we flew the rock, big show, china, jericho almost the entire gang to London England for a wrestling match. Boy did they drink on that plane. They were really nice. We went to the show and yes its all rehearsed but who cares, its fun and entertaining. Wow first time to England and I watch wrestling and ate at McDonalds. :lol

E20
07-19-2006, 02:11 AM
I loved the Nature boy and the old Four Horsemen, their antics were funny. Also, during the whole Sting saga in WCW was pretty funny too, everybody talked there shit, but as soon as he jumped from the rafters down with this baseball bat, bitches started running for their lives. Big Daddy Cool Diesel and Razor Ramon were aight, Ultimate Warrior looked cool and crazy. Also, I remeber Booker T and his brother and there mother back in the old WCW, I loved there interviews with Mean Gene.

Booker T: Mean Gene look at this hand, look how hard it is shaking

Hogan: Well look here brother, Pyscho Sid, brother he is gonna brother feel a whole lotta brother pain brother.

Parker 09
07-19-2006, 06:45 AM

I don't know man, would micheals 'sweet chin music' get that high? :spin

angel_luv
07-19-2006, 06:48 AM
A wrestler would probably be an excellent flopper.