PDA

View Full Version : If Denver retains Elson......

SenorSpur
07-18-2006, 08:55 AM
There are rumors out of Denver that the Nuggets may possibly retain Elson

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/dr...4851972,00.html

Rocky Mountain News - Since the Nuggets were able to acquire a shooting guard via trade instead of free agency (assuming the J.R. Smith deal is finalized), there are now indications that the club may match the offer sheet that Francisco Elson signed with the Spurs. Thursday is the deadline for Denver to match

If that does indeed occur (and let's hope that they do), who and where will the Spurs turn to next? Even if they are fortunate enough do sign Jackie Butler, they obviously cannot go into the season with him as their lone, primary center.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-18-2006, 09:01 AM
Why are all these reports saying that they will match him when the weren't but they are now because of the JR Smith trade? What does he have to do with it?

Mr. Body
07-18-2006, 09:02 AM
Probably go after Lorenzon Wright.

The Barry for Mihm trade looks like hogwash, but they'd probably explore those.

We still don't know the whereabouts of Maceo Baston. There are other stop-gap options, but not very pretty ones.

timvp
If Denver retains Elson, the Spurs dodge the biggest bullet since they tried to get rid of David Robinson for Chris Webber.

Mr. Body
Why are all these reports saying that they will match him when the weren't but they are now because of the JR Smith trade? What does he have to do with it?

I think because they could get a 'starting caliber' shooting guard on a very cheap contract.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-18-2006, 09:05 AM
I think because they could get a 'starting caliber' shooting guard on a very cheap contract.
Yeah but what does Elson have to do with the JR Smith trade? It's Smith and Eisley involved in the deal, so where does Elson fit in?

Mr. Body
07-18-2006, 09:08 AM
It's a good question. They don't want the luxury tax, so getting their guard for cheap, they have more money to keep a big guy on their bench.

I do think whatever happens with Martin is far, far more important here, as is the prospect of losing Reggie Evans.

Phenomanul
07-18-2006, 09:17 AM
If Denver retains Elson, then the Spurs can pursue Reggie Evans.... and timvp will be one happy camper... :fro

SenorSpur
07-18-2006, 09:22 AM
Yeah but what does Elson have to do with the JR Smith trade? It's Smith and Eisley involved in the deal, so where does Elson fit in?

IMO, the offseason with SG as their priority believing they would fill the need via free agency. Now that they're getting one via trade, this gives them the ability to use that money to retain Elson.

Bruno
07-18-2006, 10:40 AM
A quick analysis of Nuggets' situation :

1) Elson has signed a two years offer with no raise : $3M for the first year and $3M for the second year

2) Can the Nuggets keep Elson and stay under the luxury tax :

For 2006-2007 : they have 11 players under contract for $60M
PG : Miller/Boykins
SG : Smith/Hodge
SF : Melo/Paterson
PF : Martin/Najera/Kleiza
C : Camby/Nene
They will sign a 3rd PG for the min (cost $0.7M) and they will likely sign Diawara for a min guaranteed contract ($0.7M).
After that, they are $4M ($4.7M if they don't sign Diawara) under the lux tax threshold. They can spend it on Elson or on a quality SG. If they can convince Johnson to sign for cheap they can get Elson and Johnson.

For 2007-2008 : Anthony will get a big raise but Paterson will expire. JR Smith will still be cheap and the no raise structure of Elson contract will help too a little.

All that is useless if Denver do a big trade (like dumping Martin contract).

3) Do Nuggets need Elson ?
Yes, they need a big body. Their only players above 6'9" are Camby and Nene, Camby is injury prone, Nene come back from a big injury and is too quite injury prone.

4) Will nuggets match Elson ?
I hope not but I think they will. They need a big body. Elson who is serviceable and who is a known quantity for Nuggets is a good short term solution with his 2 years contract for them. They are able too to keep him without going in the luxury tax area.

timvp
07-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Yeah it's looking better than ever that Elson is staying in Denver. JR Smith to the rescue :elephant

Mr. Body
07-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Elson matched would be great.

The question is whether the Spurs would turn the money in another direction or just sit on it.

timvp
07-18-2006, 11:00 AM
Elson matched would be great.

The question is whether the Spurs would turn the money in another direction or just sit on it.

Honestly, even if they sit on it I'd like that better than Elson. Last thing the Spurs need is to play a bigman in the regular season who has a history of not showing up in the playoffs.

But I couldn't imagine they'd sit on the entire $3M. Hopefully they'd look at some sort of long three with the money.

The starting center spot for the Spurs is actually not that huge of a need. All you need is a guy who will go out there and rebound, block a few shots and not get in the way. Come playoff time, the Spurs are winning with Horry or whatever other answer they get for small ball.

Mr. Body
07-18-2006, 11:09 AM
I'd like them to shoot the money over in Ariza's direction. Who knows if they'd want to wait another 7 days on someone. (Not the whole $3M)

SenorSpur
07-18-2006, 11:14 AM
I'd like them to shoot the money over in Ariza's direction. Who knows if they'd want to wait another 7 days on someone. (Not the whole $3M)

Could Ariza be more easily had than say Jeffries?

timvp
07-18-2006, 11:16 AM
To me, it looks like it'll come down to Reggie Evans or Francisco Elson for the Nuggets. It'll probably depend on whether they think Nene can buy some time at center. If they are desperate for a center and negotiations aren't going well with Evans, they might panic and match Elson.

That's the hope.

Mr. Body
07-18-2006, 11:16 AM
They'd both be difficult. Washington just spent almost the full MLE on Darius Songaila and don't seem too excited about keeping Jeffries. They'll probably sign him for the one-year qualifying offer (about $3M/1yr). However, New York is making intimations about throwing the entire MLE at him.

Ariza is another situation. It's not clear what Orlando intends to do.

timvp
07-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Could Ariza be more easily had than say Jeffries?

Yes. Jeffries is a full MLE (or perhaps greater) player. Ariza you can probably get for a contract starting in the $2.5-3M range.

The thing that'd hold back the Spurs the most in regards to Ariza would be their hesitation to give more than two years.

Yay Holt :jack

Mr. Body
07-18-2006, 11:18 AM
To me, it looks like it'll come down to Reggie Evans or Francisco Elson for the Nuggets. It'll probably depend on whether they think Nene can buy some time at center. If they are desperate for a center and negotiations aren't going well with Evans, they might panic and match Elson.

That's the hope.

They absolutely have to keep one of the two, with Camby as fragile as a peppermint stick. As far as we know, Evans is still after the full MLE. He might think he could actually get it somewhere and is biding his time.

If that's true, it's highly likely they do the smart thing (via panic) and resign Elson. The $3M rate is really not terrible.

Mr. Body
07-18-2006, 11:19 AM
I'd love to get both Ariza and Butler. It's kind of expensive buying developing talent Isiah Thomas has found, but it's a nice substitute for not having good domestic scouts ourselves.

:lol

rascal
07-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Honestly, even if they sit on it I'd like that better than Elson. Last thing the Spurs need is to play a bigman in the regular season who has a history of not showing up in the playoffs.

But I couldn't imagine they'd sit on the entire $3M. Hopefully they'd look at some sort of long three with the money.

The starting center spot for the Spurs is actually not that huge of a need. All you need is a guy who will go out there and rebound, block a few shots and not get in the way. Come playoff time, the Spurs are winning with Horry or whatever other answer they get for small ball.
The spurs won't be winning if they will be counting on major contributions from Horry.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-18-2006, 11:32 AM

Because they didn't have to spend money in free agency on a starting shooting guard (Smith).

ro_50
07-18-2006, 11:37 AM

That's the hope.

That's my hope too. Reggie Evans has been reportedly seeking the full MLE and the Nuggets may hestitate to give him that much.

Elson is much cheaper and its only for two years.

They would be in a bind because you never get 82 games from Camby in any given season.

Mr. Body
07-18-2006, 11:41 AM
If Denver trades K-Mart, they'd likely try to retain BOTH Elson and Evans, since it moves Nene into the front line. It's increasingly looking likely they keep Elson.

Bruno
07-18-2006, 11:46 AM
I don't see Nuggets signing Evans if they keep Martin : Martin, Evans, Najera, Kleiza : way too much PF, not enough C and if Evans want the full MLE, Nuggets will be over the tax threshold.

To me :
It's either Evans or Martin and Elson's case isn't really related with Evans' case.

TDMVPDPOY
07-18-2006, 11:48 AM
knicks are lookin at offering Jefferies MLE,

um i dont think we even have a chance at him, only thing to do now is play with what we have till trade deadline in feb, and trade those expiring contracts for sumshit.

strangeweather
07-18-2006, 12:38 PM
JR Smith to the rescue :elephant
It's nice to see that he ended up being a contributor for us in the end. :spin

Mr. Body
07-18-2006, 12:39 PM
This was all planned out weeks ago...

beirmeistr
07-18-2006, 12:43 PM
There's always that old hippie, Scott Pollard.

Phenomanul
07-18-2006, 12:54 PM
There's always that old hippie, Scott Pollard.

I'd rather have Jeff Foster...

Taking it to the Hole
07-18-2006, 03:23 PM
Why match on Elson when you can supposedly use some of that freed up money on someone better? I don't think they will match just for that reason.

Mr. Body
07-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Why match on Elson when you can supposedly use some of that freed up money on someone better? I don't think they will match just for that reason.

Because $3M/2yrs for an experienced center who will foul hard and seems to be coachable is not a bad contract.