PDA

View Full Version : NBA Live 07 Update (Really Long Column)

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-18-2006, 09:42 AM
I tried to bold only the important things so pardon my French.

-NBA Live 07: First Look
Everything you need to know about the current gen and PSP versions, plus a taste of 360.
by Jon Robinson

July 12, 2006 - Voshon Lenard. If you played NBA Live 06, the three-point threat represented both the good and the bad of the game all in one shooting stroke. Everyone loved the new Superstar abilities the players possessed, but players like Leonard, who aren't really Superstars but had insane ability behind the arc thanks to his special moves, tended to take over the game like they were the second coming of MJ.

This is all about to change in NBA Live 07 (sorry, Voshon). In Live 07 you have three variety of players: regular just happy to be in the league types, stars, and superstars. By changing players like Voshon from a superstar to a star, sure, he'll still have a mean jumper, but he'll also be toned down so he's not knocking down 50 points a game.

But that's not the only change you'll find to Freestyle Superstars. If you have a player like Dwyane Wade or LeBron who has multiple superstar types, you no longer have to settle for just one. You can now change superstar types on the fly with the press of a button, turning LeBron from a High Flyer to a Playmaker to go behind the back to Larry Hughes cutting toward the hoop, then on the next break, switch back to High Flyer to jam it down the throats of any defender in The King's path. This gives gamers the ability to play more like their favorite players, as the elite baller of the league will really stand out with more abilities, and they are all at your fingertips, or in the case of Live 07, your right analog stick. That's right, 2K Sports introduced the Shot Stick in 2K6, and now NBA Live follows suit by putting Freestyle Superstar shots on the stick as well. Tap up to pull off one of the more simple dunks, but rotate the stick like a Street Fighter fireball and you'll see players like Vince Carter pull off a throwdown that will really get the crowd on their feet.

One thing Live missed out on last year, though, was the ability to showcase players who might not be superstars, but came up clutch in key situations. Think about a guy like Robert Horry. If it's not the 4th quarter or the playoffs, he's not doing too much, but put the game on the line, give him the rock in Game 7, and you know the man is going to knock down the game winner. But how do you replicate that in a videogame? EA is introducing a new ability in 07 called The X-Factor. At the beginning of the game, you'll see a picture of one player from each team, the designated X-Factors. If you take a player like Horry and get him in the game, feed him the ball, grab a rebound, knock down an open shot, you'll start to see an X glowing under his feet. You can then wait for the perfect time to trigger Horry, giving him whatever superstar ability is associated with him at the beginning of the game. This ability will last about four minutes of gameplay, and is perfect to setup Big Shot Rob to help win the game with one last three as time expires. X-Factors are usually players coming off the bench, and can even change from game to game depending on the situation or match-up.

In terms of gameplay additions, the biggest change is in the controls. You now have one button to shoot, one for dunks, and one for layups. In past games, whether you dunked or went for a layup was all contextual, but now you will be able to decide for yourself, even changing your mind in mid-air if a big man is about to block your dunk, switching to a layup to attempt to flip the ball over his outstretched arm. Another addition is the ability to throw either bullet or lob passes. Depending how hard you press the pass button, that's how hard you pass the ball. This really comes in handy on fast breaks as you can finally lob the ball over a defender to your streaking guard out in front without fear of it getting picked off by the man chasing him down from behind. You will also see a lot more collisions in the game, making it more difficult, more rewarding to work your way inside for the dunk as defenders will put a body on you out in the perimeter, making it more difficult for you to penetrate, then once you do get in the lane, you're more likely than in seasons past to take blows and head to the line than to simply slam the ball for an easy two. Free throws have also been changed to the right analog stick (similar to the 360 version). There will be about 15 custom free throw animations added as well including Jason Kidd's kiss.

One of the other major new features is the addition of both a momentum meter and a game-intensity meter to every game. If you drive to the hoop and hit a superstar slam, momentum will shift to your team and the next time you try a superstar dunk you'll be rewarded with an even bigger, riskier move. In terms of game intensity, everything from rivalries to time of year to the score will be a factor and the meter will be updated on a minute-by-minute basis. You'll see the intensity grow as the score is tied and the AI players will be more likely to dive on the floor for loose balls or show that extra hustle as the game comes down to the wire. On the opposite side of the spectrum, if there is a blowout, you'll see guys not running back on defense, and you'll need to call timeout to break the momentum and get your guys back on track. You'll also see a lot more variety of player and even bench celebrations based on the intensity and momentum of the game.

Building a Dynasty

One of the most watched and talked about aspects of the NBA season doesn't even take place during the season, and that's the NBA Draft. For some reason, though, nobody has really taken the draft and translated the excitement and second-guessing into a videogame. NBA Live 07 finally attempts to blowout the draft as you even have the option to start your Dynasty with the 2006 draft, starting the draft from scratch and taking the player you think your team should've picked but didn't. But just because this is all in a game doesn't mean you're immune to criticism from the folks at ESPN. Not only will you get an ESPN mock draft to help you out with your evaluations heading into the big event, but ESPN Insider will grade your picks after you make your selections, letting you know if you've got the talent to steal a future star or if you're the second-coming of Isiah Thomas (I don't think the NBA world could stomach a second one, so do your homework).

Team chemistry plays a major role on every team, and it now means everything in Live. Beyond the usual set of coaches and trainers you'll need to hire, you'll also need to find an assistant head coach who is in charge of event scheduling. The game isn't about simulating to your next game as now, off days matter, and you'll have to decide when to practice, when to hold press events, and when to give your guys a day off. Every decision you make will have an impact on everything from chemistry to team happiness. You'll even be able to look at a profile of every player and see what they think of their playing time, the overall talent of their team, the bench order, the stability of the roster, and whether or not they think their team has a chance to win. Before making trades, you can preview how team chemistry might be affected, even finding out if certain members of your team don't get along with a player you're trying to acquire. You can hold press events to make your players feel more important about themselves, but watch out, some players don't like dealing with the media at all and will get pissed if you schedule too many interviews. During road trips, you'll even see a map to show how far you've traveled and your team fatigue.

ESPN Rumor Central has also been added and you can send your assistant coach on missions to research rumors. You might read something like Knicks rumored to sign Kenyon Martin, and before you stop laughing you can send your assistant coach out to make some phone calls and he'll come back to you and tell you about the validity of the rumor. This is one way you can find out if players are unhappy in their current situations, then go after them through trade or try to sign them in the offseason.

Another cool addition is the ability to adjust player rotations for every position before you simulate games. This way, you'll know for sure that the computer is playing the players you want and not just going by ratings so your key rookies can continue to develop using Player Evolution.

PSP

One of the major problems with Live PSP last year was the absence of Dynasty mode. This year, you have a Dynasty you can play and connect to your PS2 version, continuing your season on the road, then picking things back up when you get home. There are a few differences between current gen and PSP, however. First off, you can't redo the draft to start the game. Second, Freestyle Superstars won't be on a tiered system, so guys like Voshon will still be lighting things up from long range. You also won't find the separation of the dunk and layup buttons when you're on your PSP.

What you will find are all of the superstar types, the ability to change superstar abilities on the fly, and the X-Factor. You fly through the air in All-Star Weekend, play mini-games like 2Ball, Handles, and Superstar Challenge (can you score 81 like Kobe), and there will be a number of alternate jerseys, including throwbacks.

One cool addition is the EA Media Center. This will enable you to play your own MP3's rather than listening to EA Trax. You will even be able to have the MP3 playback during mini-games.

Also look for the ESPN integration to get even deeper with Live PSP. When you start the game, you'll see rotating pictures of 10 of the NBA elite, from Wade to LeBron, and you'll be able to unlock special ESPN highlight videos of each of these players to save to your PSP. There will be an online ticker, the ability to track everyone you play against online, and a rematch option for both the 5-on-5 and mini-games so you don't have to leave the game only to challenge the same opponent.

The Future

We've covered current gen and PSP, but what about next gen? EA acknowledges the disaster that was NBA Live 06 on the 360 and promises everything you'd expect from NBA Live finally being added into the game. That's All-Star Weekend (including the slam dunk contest), a more thorough Dynasty mode (deeper than current gen), players who move and react more like their real-life counterparts, and a few surprises EA isn't ready to drop just yet.

Until that news hits, check the papers and get ready for the re-draft. Better do your research or ESPN Insider will be all over you. Then again, you might do so bad there will be a job at the Knicks waiting for you by the time you save your game.

jacobdrj
07-18-2006, 10:03 AM
Sounds good, does it come out for PC?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-18-2006, 10:14 AM
Sounds good, does it come out for PC?
Yes. It comes out for PC, XBOX, PS2, XBOX360, PSP, and they are still working on it for the cell phone, Wii, and PS3. It will NOT come out for the GameCube. They come out on September 25th, but I don't know about the Wii and PS3 because they come out on the I believe on the 17th or 27th of October.

Pero
07-18-2006, 10:21 AM
I`ve got a feeling it`s going to be shit again, except for the dynasty mode.

MWILL
07-18-2006, 10:28 AM
I`ve got a feeling it`s going to be shit again, except for the dynasty mode.

NBA Live will be shitty again

NBA 2k6 will be king again.

DarkReign
07-18-2006, 10:37 AM
Whatever game was for the 360 sucked monkey balls. After playing it, I realized there is no good way to represent the NBA in game form. Players are too big on a small court.

There isnt any real flow of offense, just one or 2 really good players.

Basketball games have never worked well.

davi78239
07-18-2006, 10:39 AM
No gamecube?! Damn, that sucks. I knew that would be coming soon!

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-18-2006, 10:45 AM
No gamecube?! Damn, that sucks. I knew that would be coming soon!
I'm pissed too. Now I have to go out and get a new system.

Mixability
07-18-2006, 10:49 AM
Whatever game was for the 360 sucked monkey balls. After playing it, I realized there is no good way to represent the NBA in game form. Players are too big on a small court.

There isnt any real flow of offense, just one or 2 really good players.

Basketball games have never worked well.

Live and 2k6 both came out on the 360. I have 2k6, it was good. I heard Live was just graphically nice. I can see where you're coming from on the size issue of the players, but I tend not to notice that much because I use the closest camera angle right behind the player for a realistic view.

No flow or offense? If you play the game as a simulation, then you can produce a nice flow. Lower the speed sliders a bit. Walk the ball up. Run a few plays. Play off the ball. I make it a point to keep the score realistic, because it feels like cheating if I make Manu go for 75 pts and TD having 20 blocks. I keep the fatigue settings up, so I have to sub.

Am I the only one that loves playing on the defensive side of the ball? It's like a game within a game for me trying to keep Gay Allen or Half Man Half a Season from going for 20 or more pts on Bowen. :fro

TDMVPDPOY
07-18-2006, 10:56 AM
im notgoin to waste money on this shit or their lineup of games, its all teh same shit, just do a roster update and ur fine

MWILL
07-18-2006, 11:41 AM
im notgoin to waste money on this shit or their lineup of games, its all teh same shit, just do a roster update and ur fine

Roster updating (manually) is a pain in the ass.
trust me, your better off getting the new version with new features.

NBA Live roster ratings are way too low

NBA 2K7 will be KING AGAIN!

TDMVPDPOY
07-18-2006, 11:43 AM
Roster updating (manually) is a pain in the ass.
trust me, your better off getting the new version with new features.

NBA Live roster ratings are way too low

NBA 2K7 will be KING AGAIN!

you dl the rosters from sumone who has done it for everyone, and dl the cyberfaces :D even the new rookies are done already for 06 www.nbalive.org or www.nba-live.com

MWILL
07-18-2006, 11:49 AM
you dl the rosters from sumone who has done it for everyone, and dl the cyberfaces :D even the new rookies are done already for 06 www.nbalive.org or www.nba-live.com

Do they have one for NBA 2K7?

Rubberducky
07-18-2006, 12:05 PM
No flow or offense? If you play the game as a simulation, then you can produce a nice flow. Lower the speed sliders a bit. Walk the ball up. Run a few plays. Play off the ball. I make it a point to keep the score realistic, because it feels like cheating if I make Manu go for 75 pts and TD having 20 blocks. I keep the fatigue settings up, so I have to sub.

Am I the only one that loves playing on the defensive side of the ball? It's like a game within a game for me trying to keep Gay Allen or Half Man Half a Season from going for 20 or more pts on Bowen. :fro
:tu
I was thinking the same thing. I cannot stand it whenever the best five players on your roster can play a whole game without grabbin' some pine. And my whole way of playing the game is with defense since all of my friends who play it are pure fast break players who jack up nothing but 3's. The new rules making 3's harder to execute will be like sex to me.

Rubberducky
07-18-2006, 12:11 PM
I'm pissed too. Now I have to go out and get a new system.If you like better graphics and faster loading times go with X-box, but the controllers don't even compare to PS2 (that's just me).

MWILL
07-18-2006, 12:27 PM

GAMECUBE is DEAD!

For a system that brings out one Mario, MarioKart & one Zelda every four years deserves to die. Also, when the handheld system is more popular than the consol....deserves to die.

GET A PS3 OR/AND XBOX!

YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!

DarkReign
07-18-2006, 12:41 PM
Live and 2k6 both came out on the 360. I have 2k6, it was good. I heard Live was just graphically nice. I can see where you're coming from on the size issue of the players, but I tend not to notice that much because I use the closest camera angle right behind the player for a realistic view.

Huh...good post. Ill give it a rent, I guess.

Duncan21
07-18-2006, 12:58 PM
this has to be better than 06, 06 was shit. it was such a fuckin waste of my time

MWILL
07-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Check out NBA 2K6

Eric Dampier
07-18-2006, 02:04 PM
the problem wasnt that 3-pt shooters couldnt shoot that well in real life, its that their spot up shooters. they're not supposed to be able to dribble through double/triple teams and then just hoist up a shot that goes in. even the best spot up shooters dont even hit 1/2 the time. you never see Peja take it, do a couple of spin moves, juke somebody, then jack it up everytime in real life

DarkReign
07-18-2006, 02:09 PM
the problem wasnt that 3-pt shooters couldnt shoot that well in real life, its that their spot up shooters. they're not supposed to be able to dribble through double/triple teams and then just hoist up a shot that goes in. even the best spot up shooters dont even hit 1/2 the time. you never see Peja take it, do a couple of spin moves, juke somebody, then jack it up everytime in real life...

...unlike the Erica Dampiers of the world, who can juke through triple teams just to hit a loooong 3.

Rip-Hamilton32
07-18-2006, 02:46 PM
2k6 is shit compared to 06..and i plan on buying 07 :D

MWILL
07-18-2006, 03:34 PM
the problem wasnt that 3-pt shooters couldnt shoot that well in real life, its that their spot up shooters. they're not supposed to be able to dribble through double/triple teams and then just hoist up a shot that goes in. even the best spot up shooters dont even hit 1/2 the time. you never see Peja take it, do a couple of spin moves, juke somebody, then jack it up everytime in real life

You can't have the game too real cause it wouldn't be fun. You got to have that "I can't believe he did that" type of stuff in the game. Unlike Live where the game has been 100% gimmick. The ONLY thing good about that game is the slam dunk contest.

Do you play NBA or NFL games?

Mixability
07-18-2006, 04:12 PM
Huh...good post. Ill give it a rent, I guess.

here's a fair warning, especially for you: plug your iPod into the 360, because the in game soundtrack is all hip hop. :lol

Mixability
07-18-2006, 04:17 PM
You can't have the game too real cause it wouldn't be fun. You got to have that "I can't believe he did that" type of stuff in the game. Unlike Live where the game has been 100% gimmick. The ONLY thing good about that game is the slam dunk contest.

Do you play NBA or NFL games?

If I want unrealistic game play and "I can't believe he did that" type of stuff, I bust out my copy of NBA Street. I get more excited at the end game stats to see that I held Kobe or Wade to 20pts than a highlight reel dunk. I make it a rule to not constantly drive the lane and juke all over the place. It just doesn't feel right if I don't shoot from the corner with Bruce or fumble the ball with Nazr. I KEEP IT REAL. :fro :lol

MWILL
07-18-2006, 04:44 PM
If I want unrealistic game play and "I can't believe he did that" type of stuff, I bust out my copy of NBA Street. I get more excited at the end game stats to see that I held Kobe or Wade to 20pts than a highlight reel dunk. I make it a rule to not constantly drive the lane and juke all over the place. It just doesn't feel right if I don't shoot from the corner with Bruce or fumble the ball with Nazr. I KEEP IT REAL. :fro :lol

HOLD UP DANYO!!!! I don't want unrealistic gameplay like NBA Street in my simulation game. When I said "I can't believe he did that" type stuff, I wasn't talking about summer-salt dunks and shit like that. I was referring to 90% real 10% "I can't believe he did that". That's how I like my game. If playing that Live game is real to ya, THAT'S NOT REAL.

Mixability
07-18-2006, 05:11 PM
HOLD UP DANYO!!!! I don't want unrealistic gameplay like NBA Street in my simulation game. When I said "I can't believe he did that" type stuff, I wasn't talking about summer-salt dunks and shit like that. I was referring to 90% real 10% "I can't believe he did that". That's how I like my game. If playing that Live game is real to ya, THAT'S NOT REAL.

I like realistic "unbelievable" stuff in my games, like the rare blocked dunk, Kobe getting called for traveling on a juke, or Bowen blocking Dirk, no wait that IS believable. Aren't there adjustable sliders on Live? So playing D on a video game isn't REAL? Hmmm. :spin

Slinkyman
07-18-2006, 05:16 PM

why do you only have one system and why is that system a gamecube? i mean what has come out the the gamecube in the last 2 years that was worth playing? RE4, and that's it. I bought a GC when it first came out and realized after a year that i needed a PS2 or Xbox or i would miss out on a lot of good games.

NBA Junkie
07-18-2006, 05:36 PM
I'll stick to Strat-O-Matic Basketball instead.