PDA

View Full Version : A&E's "Intervention"/Antwahn from the Clippers

pache100
07-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Did anyone see these episodes of A&E's "Intervention"? Geez, what a sad story about the NBA player, Antwahn, who played for the Clippers. This is an intense show anyway, and I can't always watch the whole thing. This story was heart-wrenching:

21 - Antwahn and Billy

The stories of two men on the verge of destroying themselves. Antwahn played professional basketball for the Los Angeles Clippers and in Europe for over a decade, but when a serious knee injury ended his career he began to binge on crack-cocaine and ended up on skid row. Billy seeks a fix for his terrible drug addiction in many ways--he's an IV heroin user, he steals his mother's Xanax, he shoots Ambien intravenously, and he shoots up cocaine.

26 - Antwahn and Rachel--Follow-Up

We revisit with two of our subjects to see how they've been doing since we first profiled them. Antwahn's family staged an intervention to save him from cocaine, and he went to treatment. But unfortunately, we learn that his story does not end there. And Rachel's continuing battle to stay off heroin has been threatened by her attempts to help her boyfriend get clean.

http://www.aetv.com/intervention/int_episode_guide.jsp?episode=150887

Shank
07-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Saw both of them. I feel pretty bad for the guy but he's got a serious problem. Just seems as though he can't commit to trying to stay clean. I hate to see someone that had so much talent and a great family piss it all away just because he can't stay off drugs.

pache100
07-18-2006, 01:18 PM
Saw both of them. I feel pretty bad for the guy but he's got a serious problem. Just seems as though he can't commit to trying to stay clean. I hate to see someone that had so much talent and a great family piss it all away just because he can't stay off drugs.

I thought the most gut-wrenching thing during the whole follow-up show was when the interventionist asked him why was ok for his little daughters to not have their daddy in their lives but it was not ok for that drug addict girlfriend of his to be alone on the street because she was not willing to get clean and he could not stay clean if he stayed with her. She's a piece of work, that girlfriend of his.

timvp
07-18-2006, 01:46 PM
That's a pretty cool show. We watched it once on A&E On-Demand.

Antwahn doesn't ring a bell. Is that his real name? Any chance of a last name?

pache100
07-18-2006, 02:03 PM
That's a pretty cool show. We watched it once on A&E On-Demand.

Antwahn doesn't ring a bell. Is that his real name? Any chance of a last name?

I assume it's his real name, they usually use real first names, but they do not give last names. I'll see if I can find out who he is.

pache100
07-18-2006, 02:13 PM
His name is Antwahn Nance and he apparently went to Grambling. There is supposedly a picture of him on worldbasket.net, but I can't get that website to come up. He was also apparently featured in some video games with Scottie Pippen, too.

Edit: here's some stuff I found...

http://i1.tinypic.com/20awily.jpg

ANTWAHN NANCE
Position: Power Foward
Height: 6'10'' (2.08 mts.)
Weight: 245 lbs.
College: Grambling University 1990
Home Town: Los Angeles, CALIFORNIA
Professional Basketball Experience
2001-02 Gimnasia y Esgrima Comodoro Rivadavia (ARGENTINA)
9 ppg. 4 rpg. 3 apg.
2000-01 Aoshen (BEIJING, CHINA)
22 ppg. 12 rpg.
1999-00 China Motion (Shenzhen, CHINA)
32 ppg. 10 rpg.
1998-99 China Motion (Shenzhen, CHINA)
28 ppg. 13 rpg.
1997-98 Corinthians (Sao Paulo, BRAZIL)
14 ppg. 8 rpg.
1996-97 Bipa Moda (Odessa, UKRAINE)
17 ppg. 11 rpg.
1995-96 Seapower (Hong Kong , CHINA)
30 ppg. 15 rpg.
1994-95 Gimnasia y Esgrima Pergamino (ARGENTINA)
18 ppg. 10 rpg.
1993-94 Vestel (Izmir, TURKEY)
22 ppg. 12 rpg.
1992-93 Sporting (Athens, GREECE)
25 ppg. 14 rpg.
1991-92 Real Madrid (Madrid, SPAIN)
12 ppg. 8 rpg.
1991-92 Teorama Arese (Milan, ITALY)
18 ppg. 15 rpg.
1990-91 L.A. Clippers (NBA)
9 ppg. 5 rpg.
1990-91 Marinos (Puerto La Cruz, VENEZUELA)
15 ppg. 9 rpg.

Comments

Nance is a intelligent, strong and skilled scorer. Dominant in the interior area, very good in rebounds and blocks.
A lot of experience and successful presentations in all their teams.
Great ability for pass the ball. Good body and excellent shape.

http://dtm.4t.com/Antwan%20Nance.htm

timvp
07-18-2006, 03:27 PM
Ohhhh Antwan Nance. Not sure when he added the "H" :)

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to watch it.

pache100
07-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Ohhhh Antwan Nance. Not sure when he added the "H" :)

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to watch it.

I didn't know he didn't always have the "h", I'd never heard of him before the A&E piece. I did notice it was spelled without it on that site, but I recognized him in the pic.

Shank
07-18-2006, 10:46 PM
9/5 is a decent bench player in today's NBA. Why would the then-lowly Clippers dump him after only one year? Eh, water under the bridge. I just hope the dude makes something out of what he has left.

ShoogarBear
07-18-2006, 11:52 PM
I can't find any stats for anybody other than Larry Nance on basketballreference.com, nor anyone on any Clippers roster around those years.

Did he actually play in the regular season or just preseason?

pache100
07-19-2006, 08:28 AM
9/5 is a decent bench player in today's NBA. Why would the then-lowly Clippers dump him after only one year? Eh, water under the bridge. I just hope the dude makes something out of what he has left.

Apparently, his drug abuse was already well underway at that time and he was reaching a point that it affected his game and he could no longer hide it. He was cut because he couldn't keep up. He's on the streets again, homeless, penniless, not in touch with his family, and involved with another user (who is 23 years old). If he's going to "make something out of what he has left" he better get on the stick. He's burning up quickly.

pache100
07-19-2006, 08:29 AM
I can't find any stats for anybody other than Larry Nance on basketballreference.com, nor anyone on any Clippers roster around those years.

Did he actually play in the regular season or just preseason?

He played a full season and a partial season.

ShoogarBear
07-19-2006, 09:14 AM
Then this would be the first instance I know of where basketballreference.com has completely whiffed.

I will have to check my NBA Register tonight.