PDA

View Full Version : Sonics Sold

Kori Ellis
07-18-2006, 01:28 PM
The Sonics have been sold to a group from Oklahoma City, according to multiple sources. A news conference to announce the sale has been scheduled for 3 p.m. today.

The New Orleans Hornets played their games last season at Oklahoma City, and are scheduled to play there again next season. It was not immediately known if the team would move to Oklahoma.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003135221_websonicssold18.html

Kori Ellis
07-18-2006, 01:29 PM
It belongs in the NBA forum, but oh well.

TxJudsonRocketTx
07-18-2006, 01:29 PM
So much for Kansas City getting a team

timvp
07-18-2006, 01:30 PM
The Sonics have been sold to a group from Oklahoma City, according to multiple sources. A news conference to announce the sale has been scheduled for 3 p.m. today.

The New Orleans Hornets played their games last season at Oklahoma City, and are scheduled to play there again next season. It was not immediately known if the team would move to Oklahoma.

:lol

Mr. Body
07-18-2006, 01:33 PM
Holy crap. If I were a fan in Seattle I'd be shitting bricks.

1Parker1
07-18-2006, 01:41 PM
It was not immediately known if the team would move to Oklahoma.

If the team was sold to Oklahoma, why would they continue playing in Seattle?

MoSpur
07-18-2006, 01:41 PM
Wow. OK City is a huge difference from Seattle. Like night and day.

Mr. Body
07-18-2006, 01:43 PM

Another team playing games there just now. Wouldn't it be hilarious if OK City housed two NBA franchises?

FromWayDowntown
07-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Holy crap. If I were a fan in Seattle I'd be shitting bricks.

that, or getting on the phone to local and state leaders urging that they get cracking on helping the Sonics find a way to build a new building. Key Arena is horrendous and needs to be replaced by something resembling the facilities that have been built for baseball and football. State and local leaders have done a magnificent job in putting together the funding necessary to build state-of-the-art stadiums for the Mariners and the Seahawks. And while some of the responsibility for such a building should fall on the ownership group, undoubtedly -- Paul Allen paid the bill for some portion of the construction of Qwest Field and -- it wouldn't be unprecedented for the city or county to bear some major portion of the costs if only to keep the franchise in Seattle.

Kori Ellis
07-18-2006, 01:45 PM

I think what will happen is they'd stay in Seattle this upcoming season, they'll be all kinds of lobbying to keep them there, and in the end they'll move to Oklahoma the next season. But I'm just guessing.

1Parker1
07-18-2006, 01:50 PM
I think what will happen is they'd stay in Seattle this upcoming season, they'll be all kinds of lobbying to keep them there, and in the end they'll move to Oklahoma the next season. But I'm just guessing.

Oh, I had assumed that it would happen sometime this season. BTW, anyone know when the Nets are moving to Brooklyn?

violentkitten
07-18-2006, 01:51 PM
if oklahoma gets a permanent team, mav fans will be torn.

pache100
07-18-2006, 01:54 PM
if oklahoma gets a permanent team, mav fans will be torn.

I hope so.

MoSpur
07-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Red River shoot out. LOL

Kori Ellis
07-18-2006, 01:56 PM
It's rumored to be this group:

Gaylord Properties, Inc. based out of OK City.
They recently owned a 18.41% share of the San Antonio Spurs before selling in 1996-97
In addition they have recently made bids for the Washington Nationals and are supposedly NOT averse to owning sports franchises outside of their market.

sa_butta
07-18-2006, 02:04 PM
OKC-Cow-chippers

ducks
07-18-2006, 02:05 PM
so noel will get cut and spurs will sign him

wonder if sonics want expring contracts to reduce payroll before buyout is complete

IcemanCometh
07-18-2006, 02:05 PM
when are the spurs gonna be bought by someone competent

pjjrfan
07-18-2006, 02:06 PM
I had that same sinking feeling when I thought the Maloof brothers would buy the Spurs.

DarkReign
07-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Congratulations OK City!

T Park
07-18-2006, 02:34 PM
Vancouver was an out and out failure.

On top of that, Canada's taxes are just beyond disgusting, no more teams will be going to Canada.

baseline bum
07-18-2006, 02:37 PM
OKC deserves a team after the show of support the gave the Hornets last season. I really believe that homecourt atmosphere got them 10 extra wins. Plus, it would screw over all of those assholes who booed Tim when he was on the ground, clutching his twisted ankle in game 6 in 2005.

Taking it to the Hole
07-18-2006, 03:10 PM
OKC deserves a team after the show of support the gave the Hornets last season. I really believe that homecourt atmosphere got them 10 extra wins. Plus, it would screw over all of those assholes who booed Tim when he was on the ground, clutching his twisted ankle in game 6 in 2005.

By that reasoning, then San Antonio deserves a football team for all the support they gave the Saints last season. I say that is a good deal for both cities. :fro

Mr. Body
07-18-2006, 03:14 PM
The Sonics are one of the handful of NBA teams with a nickname of historical and regional importance (like the Rockets, Spurs, and Mavs). 'Supersonics' is a reference to the World's Fair in Seattle, I think in 1968, for which the Space Needle was built, as well as one of the world's first monorails. This all centered around Seattle becoming important for the space and aeronautics industries, like Boeing.

I hope they don't go. Seattle is a great city and the team has a great history there.

ChumpDumper
07-18-2006, 03:48 PM
Well Shultz and company made $150 million off the deal. Nice 5-year investment.

Kori Ellis
07-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Coinciding with the Seattle Supersonics petition to the league regarding the sale, New Orleans Hornets ownership, headed by George Shinn, has applied to the league to permanently stay in Oklahoma City.

The Hornets had previous maintained that they would return to New Orleans as soon as repairs and conditions made it possible.

Mr. Body
07-18-2006, 03:52 PM
Oklahoma City is so too gonna get two franchises. :lol

boutons_
07-18-2006, 03:56 PM
"'Supersonics' is a reference to the World's Fair in Seattle"

huh? Boeing was HQed in Seattle. Remember the never-built Boeing SST?

SuperSonic Transport, the Boeing 2707, that Boeing cancelled in 1971, 4 years after the Seattle SuperSonics joined the NBA in 1967.

Mr. Body
07-18-2006, 03:58 PM
"'Supersonics' is a reference to the World's Fair in Seattle"

huh? Boeing was HQed in Seattle. Remember the never-built Boeing SST?

SuperSonic Transport, the Boeing 2707, that Boeing cancelled in 1971, 4 years after the Seattle SuperSonics joined the NBA in 1967.

Did you read my post? I swear sometimes people can't read.

Added to make clear: the theme of the World's Far in that city was chosen as 'space and aeronautics' because of the burgeoning industry in that city.

Jesus Christ, man, cut me a fucking break. :lol

The Sonics are one of the handful of NBA teams with a nickname of historical and regional importance (like the Rockets, Spurs, and Mavs). 'Supersonics' is a reference to the World's Fair in Seattle, I think in 1968, for which the Space Needle was built, as well as one of the world's first monorails. This all centered around Seattle becoming important for the space and aeronautics industries, like Boeing.

CubanMustGo
07-18-2006, 04:04 PM
The Sonics are one of the handful of NBA teams with a nickname of historical and regional importance (like the Rockets, Spurs, and Mavs).

Didn't stop the Utah JAZZ from leaving. I guess "Salt Lake City Mormons" was copyrighted or something.

Mr. Body
07-18-2006, 04:05 PM
-And 'Grizzlies.' - And 'Lakers,' for that matter...

'Hornets' was actually selected for historical reasons important to NC, too.

boutons_
07-18-2006, 04:09 PM
You get no break.

Boeing SST, SuperSonic Transport, in full prototype development and talked about in the popular press in the mid/late 60s, was the origin of the Seattle nickname Supersonics. Britain/France were developing their SuperSonicTransport, the Concorde. SuperSonic was hot word back then.

The Seattle Worlds fair did have an aerospace theme, with aerspace monster Boeing based in town, the Apollo program in full flower, and US vs Russia space race in full tilt.

The SuperSonics were named after a plane, not a world's fair.

CaptainLate
07-18-2006, 04:10 PM

Don't forget Vegas (after '07 All-Star Game)...since I don't think the Maloof's Kings are going anywhere soon.

Bruno
07-18-2006, 04:10 PM
If Sonics moves to OKC, will they stay in the northwest division ?

boutons_
07-18-2006, 04:11 PM
http://www.nba.com/sonics/history/evolution_logo_name.html

1967-70
The Seattle-based David Stern Advertising Agency created the first SuperSonics logo. The logo featured a SuperSonic jet ascending from a basketball that displayed the team's name.

CaptainLate
07-18-2006, 04:15 PM
I hope they don't go. Seattle is a great city and the team has a great history there.

Too much rain = :depressed environment. Say hello to your 2007-2008 Las Vegas Jackpots :elephant

Mr. Body
07-18-2006, 04:16 PM
You get no break.

Boeing SST, SuperSonic Transport, in full prototype development and talked about in the popular press in the mid/late 60s, was the origin of the Seattle nickname Supersonics. Britain/France were developing their SuperSonicTransport, the Concorde. SuperSonic was hot word back then.

The Seattle Worlds fair did have an aerospace theme, with aerspace monster Boeing based in town, the Apollo program in full flower, and US vs Russia space race in full tilt.

The SuperSonics were named after a plane, not a world's fair.

Wrong locution, okay? I should have said they were named in conjunction with the contemporaneous World's Fair, with its focus on local industry. Of course it was about the plane. It wasn't the "SuperSonic World's Fair," but those kinds of city-hosted international exhibitions do a huge amount to advertise what those those cities used to do. We don't do them much anymore. You don't think the SuperSonic aircraft advertised itself, do you? Magazines work some, TV worked some, but a huge part of it was inviting all the world's science and cultural journalists in to see what it was all about.

Lame, guy. Really lame.

So you win. You won 1 point in the SuperFun SpursTalk Trivia Experience!!

:bang

CaptainLate
07-18-2006, 04:17 PM
Vancouver was an out and out failure. On top of that, Canada's taxes are just beyond disgusting, no more teams will be going to Canada.

I can't believe Toronto is still around. But no doubt that is $tern attempting to save face.

Rynospursfan
07-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Sonics aren't going anywhere.

Kori Ellis
07-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Sonics aren't going anywhere.

Well they were sold for $350M.

Who knows how long they'll stay in Seattle. At least this season.

T Park
07-18-2006, 04:28 PM
I can't believe Toronto is still around. But no doubt that is $tern attempting to save face.

Eh, I think the team is doing well there strangely enough.

Nice arena, good players, and a pretty loyal fan group.

I always watch their afternoon games on saturdays or sundays, and they have huge crowds.

Hell in April they have good crowds when theyve been playing out the streak since December.

I think the Sonics move to St Louis or Las Vegas.

Dave Checketts former Pres of the Knicks and Jazz, is now the owner of the Saavis Center in St Louis, and is upgrading the facilities quite a bit.

Wouldn't surprise me to see the city throw some incentives twords them to go there.

It would be great if they moved there.

Give me something to watch when visitng family in late December early January :lol

Just a sidenote and totally not gonna happen but,

Boeing is pretty heavily influenced in the area, and they could keep the name.

Sorry that makes no sense nor does it mean its gonna happen.

Wishfull thinking on my part :lol

Kori Ellis
07-18-2006, 04:33 PM
Well it seems like some politics, Shinn petitioning to stay in OKC the day that the OKC group buys the Sonics is obviously no coincidence. Shinn is probably just putting the pressure on to get out of N.O. permanently and then obviously this new group that bought the Sonics can put the pressure on Seattle government to get a deal done for a new arena, or they'll pull them out of the city in a year (or more).

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-18-2006, 04:35 PM
I could see an NBA team in St. Louis eventually.

In fact I'm surprised that the city rarely comes up when NBA teams talk about relocation. Seems like they'd have a good base of fans there. Maybe they look at the proximity to other NBA franchises? Who knows.

Kori Ellis
07-18-2006, 04:39 PM
Actually Kansas City not St Louis has been one of the locations noted as a possible move for the Sonics over the last year of discussions. San Jose, KC and OKC.

greywheel
07-18-2006, 04:50 PM
But I am only a Spurs fan because the Kings forsook KC. That and Grandpa didn't watch basketball.

strangeweather
07-18-2006, 05:48 PM
I could see an NBA team in St. Louis eventually.

In fact I'm surprised that the city rarely comes up when NBA teams talk about relocation. Seems like they'd have a good base of fans there. Maybe they look at the proximity to other NBA franchises? Who knows.
If I remember correctly from back when the Grizz and Hornets moved, it's an arena problem.

The owner of the Blues owns the arena, and isn't willing to share revenues with a separate ownership group, though he might be open to buying a team and relocating it himself. And since the city is still paying for that arena, there's not much local interest in building another

Kori Ellis
07-18-2006, 05:51 PM
Basically the deal is that the new owners will keep the team in Seattle and try to negotiate an arena deal. If they can't, they'll move.

T Park
07-18-2006, 05:56 PM
The owner of the Blues owns the arena, and isn't willing to share revenues with a separate ownership group, though he might be open to buying a team and relocating it himself. And since the city is still paying for that arena, there's not much local interest in building another

Theyve paid for Saavis, its over 11 years old.

Checketts is the new owner, that was ture previously with the Laurie regime, those fuckheads.

tlongII
07-18-2006, 05:56 PM
This is making me very nervous! If the Sonics move to OK City, it is very possible that Allen would move the Blazers to Seattle.

Kori Ellis
07-18-2006, 05:58 PM
This is making me very nervous! If the Sonics move to OK City, it is very possible that Allen would move the Blazers to Seattle.

Very true. That's been being talked about for months.

Buddy Holly
07-18-2006, 05:59 PM

Then Portland really becomes what it's always been.

Lame. Cold. Grey.

strangeweather
07-18-2006, 06:00 PM
Theyve paid for Saavis, its over 11 years old.

Checketts is the new owner, that was ture previously with the Laurie regime, those fuckheads.
Thanks for the update -- like I said, I was working from memory.

tlongII
07-18-2006, 06:06 PM
Very true. That's been being talked about for months.

I would be sooo pissed off! We finally have acquired some nice young talent and will be damn good in a couple of years.

Kori Ellis
07-18-2006, 06:08 PM
I would be sooo pissed off! We finally have acquired some nice young talent and will be damn good in a couple of years.

Well you better hope the Sonics get an arena deal done in Seattle.

T Park
07-18-2006, 06:10 PM
I thought Allen was trying to SELL the Blazers.

In fact, I think they ARE for sale aren't they?

ChumpDumper
07-18-2006, 06:12 PM

In fact, I think they ARE for sale aren't they?I think they are just trying to sell the Rose Garden or get out of their managment deal. I forget which one.

tlongII
07-18-2006, 06:21 PM

In fact, I think they ARE for sale aren't they?

The problem started when Allen's management group, Vulcan Inc., advised him to have the Rose Garden Arena Corp. declare bankruptcy in order to negotiate a new lease agreement. The bondholders called their bluff and took control/ownership, thru Global Spectrum, of the arena at that point. Now Allen gets a very reduced cut of arena revenue and it makes it nearly impossible to be profitable. He needs to buy back the arena so that it can become profitable again and I think he will eventually do that. Either that, or the team will declare bankruptcy to get out of the current lease agreement and relocate to Seattle.

Buddy Holly
07-18-2006, 07:34 PM
Kori, do you have the link for this:

Coinciding with the Seattle Supersonics petition to the league regarding the sale, New Orleans Hornets ownership, headed by George Shinn, has applied to the league to permanently stay in Oklahoma City.

The Hornets had previous maintained that they would return to New Orleans as soon as repairs and conditions made it possible.

AlamoSpursFan
07-18-2006, 07:52 PM
Well at least if the Sonics move to OKC, they can keep the name and there will be a logical tie-in...

Oklahoma City is home to the corporate headquarters of

http://www.fastfood.com/SonicDriveIn/pics/Sonic_Drive_In_restaurant.jpg

Just thought I'd mention it...

Cant_Be_Faded
07-18-2006, 07:56 PM
In related news, Oklahoma-based Boomer football support is set to drop by 55%.

50 cent
07-18-2006, 08:12 PM
Kori, do you have the link for this:
I would also like to see a link to that.

Kori Ellis
07-18-2006, 08:28 PM
I would also like to see a link to that.

A reporter in Seattle told me that (and a bunch of other stuff) over the phone when he was at the press conference.

We'll see if/when it comes out in the paper.

50 cent
07-18-2006, 08:49 PM
A reporter in Seattle told me that (and a bunch of other stuff) over the phone when he was at the press conference.

We'll see if/when it comes out in the paper.
Thanks. :tu

SilverPlayer
07-18-2006, 09:53 PM
I got this letter in my emailo inbox today (I've purchase spurs vs Seatle games before so I got on their list)

The Basketball Club of Seattle (BCOS) announced today that it has signed a purchase agreement to sell its NBA Seattle SuperSonics and WNBA Seattle Storm for $350 million. The teams are being purchased by the Professional Basketball Club LLC, an Oklahoma City, Oklahoma based investment group led by Clayton I. Bennett, chairman of Dorchester Capital, a private investment company. Additional members of the group include Aubrey K. McClendon, Chairman and CEO, Chesapeake Energy Corporation; G. Jeffrey Records, Chairman of the Board and CEO, MidFirst Bank;Tom L. Ward, Chairman and CEO, Riata Energy, Inc., and G. Edward Evans, chairman, Syniverse Holding, Inc. The transaction is expected to close by the end of October of 2006.

"We have enjoyed the opportunity to own and operate the Sonics and the Storm for the past five seasons and are proud of what we've achieved both on and off the court," said Howard Schultz, chairman of the Basketball Club of Seattle. "Since the majority of the Basketball Club of Seattle's investors live and work in the Seattle community, it was extremely difficult for us to decide to sell the teams. As you may know, over the past two years, we have worked with local and state officials to seek a solution to the arena issues. However, it became more apparent that a new ownership group may be more successful in achieving the remaining goals of the Sonics and Storm."

"We are grateful to have the opportunity to combine our passion for professional basketball and our abilities to build successful business enterprises," said Bennett. "We thank the BCOS. They love this city and the Sonics and Storm. We appreciate the opportunity to lead a professional sports organization that has achieved the pinnacle of success within both the NBA and WNBA.

"The Sonics and the Storm are synonymous with Seattle, and it is our desire to have the Sonics and the Storm build upon their great legacies in the Greater Seattle area," added Bennett. "We believe with the right dynamics on the court, the right community support, the right business model and a financially committed ownership group that recognizes and respects Seattle, we can succeed here for decades to come."

"We decided that if we had to sell the team, our first preference was to identify a local buyer who resides in the Northwest, and we were committed to taking a lower price if a local buyer came forward," continued Schultz. "Unfortunately, we searched for a local buyer, but were unsuccessful. However, we are pleased that the ownership of the Sonics and the Storm will transition to the Professional Basketball Club, which is a stellar management team, with a history of proven success."

"The Basketball Club of Seattle offers a sincere thank you to our players, our coaches and all of our front office employees for their hard work and dedication over the past five years," said Wally Walker, president and CEO of the Seattle Sonics & Storm. "We also want to thank Sonics and Storm fans and business partners for their passionate support. Our employees and basketball fans around the Northwest should remain very proud of the 40-year legacy of the Sonics and the success the Storm have experienced in their seven seasons. I'm committed to working with the new owners to keep our teams in Seattle and I'm excited about the energy they will bring to the organization."

Former Seattle Seahawks great Steve Largent, who is from Oklahoma originally and knows personally several members of the new ownership group commented, "They are well-respected and successful business professionals who are sports fans. I know they truly would like to keep the Sonics and the Storm in Seattle. On a personal note, I hope they are successful."

The Basketball Club of Seattle purchased the teams in April 2001 from The Ackerley Group. During the five years of BCOS ownership, the Sonics recorded a winning percentage of 51 percent, made two playoff appearances and won the 2005 Northwest Division title. The Storm have made three playoff appearances and won the 2004 WNBA Championship – the first major professional sports championship for Seattle since the Sonics won the 1979 NBA Championship.

In addition to achievements on the court, the teams remain active in the community. The Sonics & Storm Foundation and its players donate more than $1 million per year to the region's communities.

For more information please visit SUPERSONICS.COM.

AFE7FATMAN
07-19-2006, 12:55 AM

Jul 18, 2006 11:32pm ET
Mayor: Sale Doesn't Mean Sonics Coming to Oklahoma City
According to an Associated Press article on ESPN.com, "Mayor Mick Cornett cautioned Tuesday that the purchase of the Seattle SuperSonics by an Oklahoma City businessman does not necessarily mean that the NBA franchise will relocate to the city. 'I think it's presumptuous to assume that Clay Bennett and his ownership group won't own that Seattle team for a long, long time in Seattle or somewhere else. It's presumptuous to assume they're going to move that franchise to Oklahoma City,' Cornett said. 'I understand that people are going to say that seems to be a likely scenario, but that's just speculation.'"

However with that said:
SEATTLE -- Quotes on the sale of the Seattle SuperSonics and Storm to the Professional Basketball Club, LLC, headed by Oklahoma City businessman Clay Bennett:

<

-- "This isn't how we wanted to go out." former Sonics and Storm majority owner Howard Schultz.

-- "If we weren't able to find a successor facility and relative lease by then, we have the option contractually to ... evaluate our position." Bennett on what happens if an improved arena agreement with local politicians can't be reached in 12 months.

-- "I don't think I can drink any more Starbucks coffee than I do." Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels on whether he could have done more for Schultz, chairman of Starbucks Corp.

-- "It's almost like telling the people of Seattle we'll keep them there for a year to see how it all works, but we might move them. That doesn't make for a good, comfortable relationship between the city and the Sonics." Seattle City Councilman David Della on Bennett saying he will spend 12 months negotiating with officials for an arena solution.

-- "It's not good news. I'd prefer the Sonics had remained in Seattle with local ownership. But the big issue for the city right now is we need to focus our attention on Seattle Center and make a proposal in the Legislature to revitalize that as a regional center. The silver lining is we have an opportunity to create an exciting venue at KeyArena." Seattle City Councilman Nick Licata.

-- "The team was not aware of it, but for me, it was a little distracting." Seattle Storm coach Anne Donovan, who was told of the sale before Tuesday afternoon's game against the Sacramento Monarchs.

-- "This market isn't just the best market for the Sonics and Storm, but the only market for the Sonics and Storm." Sonics' president Wally Walker.

-- "I think it doesn't affect us in the short term. In the long term, who knows? Who ever knows in the long term?" Sonics' general manager Rick Sund about the effect on the basketball team.

-- "I think it's presumptuous to assume that Clay Bennett and his ownership group won't own that Seattle team for a long, long time in Seattle or somewhere else. It's presumptuous to assume they're going to move that franchise to Oklahoma City." Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett.

-- "Selling the team to a group headed by a man whose stated goal is that he's 100 percent committed to bringing a team to Oklahoma City is a risky venture." 18-year-old Ben Conway, standing outside the Sonics' practice facility and holding a sign that read "Don't sell my childhood to OK City."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nba&id=2523298

Maybe if the Spurs don't get there S...together a lot of the Spurs fan's
get on the Sonics Bandwagon in OK next year and Root for Bob Hills team
please don't mention Ray Allen. :lol

MajorMike
07-19-2006, 09:01 AM
This is going to force a couple of hands. It is going to force the Hornets to make a decision in the next few months on what they are going to do - stay or go. This is going to force Seattle's hand to get a stadium built or they will leave. The two will be racing to see which decision is made 1st. If Seattle won't build him a stadium, Bennett wants to be the 1st to say, "I'm going to play in OKC." Hornets won't want to be left out in the cold if the Sonics do indeed decide to come to OKC.

This plays into OKC's hand immensely. With the fan support n OKC, there is no doubt there will be a team there in 07-08. Which one depends on who pulls the trigger 1st. And yes, I can't imagine Sonic not being a gigandous corp sponsor there if the Sonics do come to town.

FYI, Boeing has a HUGE maintenance facility for the military located at Tinker AFB... in OKC. I don't think the historical reference would be that much of a stretch.

MajorMike
07-19-2006, 10:18 AM
Pro team would lead transformation of city
By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Writer
7/19/2006

Remember when it was a hoot for Tulsans to poke fun of our neighbors in Oklahoma City? Well, we can officially turn out the lights on that long-running party.

The city we loved to jokingly call "the world's biggest truck stop" continues to write one of this country's biggest success stories.

Instead of a punch line, Oklahoma City has become a powerbroker. The latest and most significant example of this inspiring transformation came Tuesday when an Oklahoma City-based group purchased the NBA and WNBA franchises in Seattle for a cool $350 million.

In other words, Oklahoma City is going to become a permanent player in the world of professional sports. Major-league professional sports.

Clay Bennett, who heads the Professional Basketball Club LLC, said all the right things at a press conference to announce the sale. Bennett said his group intends to keep the NBA's SuperSonics and WNBA's Storm in the Pacific Northwest's largest city.

Oh, did I mention the press conference was held in Seattle?

Bennett obviously wasn't about to waltz into town and meet the local press to announce he'll move the city's 39-year-old NBA franchise to Oklahoma City just as soon as he figures out a way to get the Sonics out of a lease that runs until 2010.

It's difficult at this point to predict the future of the Sonics. What is absolutely clear, however, is that Tuesday's sale guarantees Oklahoma City will have an NBA franchise for the foreseeable future.

Bennett and his group bought a whole lot of leverage for Oklahoma City with that $350 million.

Until yesterday, Oklahoma City's movers and shakers have been forced to play footsy with New Orleans Hornets owner George Shinn. Not anymore.

The Hornets played 36 of their home games at the Ford Center in Oklahoma City last season after Hurricane Katrina ripped through New Orleans. The move proved to be a smash hit when half of the games were sold out and the average attendance of 18,717 was the 11th-highest in the NBA.

The New Orleans franchise is committed to playing 35 games at the Ford Center next season. But NBA commissioner David Stern has insisted the Hornets will return to New Orleans the following season, no matter how successful they are in Oklahoma City.

Shinn, however, has talked out of both sides of his mouth about the Hornets' long-term future. One of the goofiest owners in all of sports, Shinn has praised both cities and said no final decision will be made until next December or January.

That large gulp you heard coming out of the Big Easy late Tuesday afternoon was from Shinn. Gone is the hole card he didn't think he'd have to reveal for at least six months.

The majority of NBA fans in Oklahoma would undoubtedly like to see the Hornets remain in the state. The club has made several intriguing off-season roster moves and has one of the league's most exciting players in guard Chris Paul, the NBA's rookie of the year.

Perhaps Bennett has a plan that eventually could include some type of franchise maneuvering. Maybe his group could trade ownership of the Sonics for the rights to the Hornets.

Bennett said Tuesday he hoped to solve the problems that forced The Basketball Club of Seattle to sell the Sonics and Storm. That ownership group grew frustrated when the city failed to approve the $220 million needed to improve KeyArena, the home of the Sonics and Storm.

The now-previous owners, led by Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz, said they lost $60 million in the five years they owned the teams. Stern also said the revenue-sharing lease Schultz's group had with the city was the worst in the NBA.

"It is not our intention to move or relocate the teams," Bennett said.

Of course it isn't. Not now. Not with the Hornets already in Oklahoma City for the 2006-07 season.

But let's get real, OK? When Bennett and his wealthy friends formed Professional Basketball Club LLC last year, they said their primary goal was to bring a major-league franchise to Oklahoma City.

When the 2007-08 season tips off -- or shortly thereafter -- that ambitious plan will become a reality. Whether it's the Sonics or the Hornets, some NBA team call Oklahoma City its permanent home.

Meanwhile, we sophisticated Tulsans can look down our smug noses and remind our Oklahoma City brethren that our cosmopolitan little corner of the world was once called "America's Most Beautiful City," by a national publication.

Of course that was around 1982. But who's counting?

I just said that.

Solid D
07-19-2006, 10:30 AM
Well at least if the Sonics move to OKC, they can keep the name and there will be a logical tie-in...

Oklahoma City is home to the corporate headquarters of

http://www.fastfood.com/SonicDriveIn/pics/Sonic_Drive_In_restaurant.jpg

Just thought I'd mention it...

:lol :tu Good catch AlamoSpursFan

It would be interesting to see what happens in OKC versus the Seattle market dynamics. I know the NBA looks at television revenues, households, etc. The Seattle - Tacoma area is ranked 12th in TV households. Small TV markets such as Salt Lake City, San Antonio, New Orleans and Oklahoma City have to rely on community loyalty, higher percentages of households viewing, etc. to keep up.

DarkReign
07-19-2006, 10:34 AM

*cough*Pistons*cough*

tlongII
07-19-2006, 10:46 AM
*cough*Trail Blazers*cough*

TDMVPDPOY
07-19-2006, 11:14 AM
if they do move to Oka, is the team goin to be put in southwest division?

MajorMike
07-19-2006, 12:25 PM
OKC would be the farthest north of any of the SW teams, therefore I'd say they stay Pac.

boutons_
07-19-2006, 12:32 PM
*cough*Pistons*cough*

few teams ??

Boston Celtics (Irish immigrants)

Vancouver Grizzlies (local ferocious beast)

Minneapolis Lakers { Land of 10,000 Lakes )

San Diego Clippers ( San Diego as port, clipper ships)

New Orleans Jazz

Utah Polygamists

Mr. Body
07-19-2006, 12:34 PM
*cough*Pistons*cough*

Yup. Pistons, Pacers, Spurs, Jazz, Lakers, Sonics, Knickerbockers, 76ers, Hornets, Spurs, Mavericks, Rockets, and I'm sure others have names of historical importance.

judaspriestess
07-19-2006, 01:29 PM
please stay in Seattle, thats one of my destinations to see the Spurs play.

and the other is Portland. I really like Portland. I had a good time when I was there.

tlongII
07-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Yup. Pistons, Pacers, Spurs, Jazz, Lakers, Sonics, Knickerbockers, 76ers, Hornets, Spurs, Mavericks, Rockets, and I'm sure others have names of historical importance.

Don't forget Portland Trail Blazers named after the pioneers that blazed the Oregon Trail.

Kori Ellis
07-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Right now it looks like Bellevue (Seattle suburb) might be emerging as where they will "relocate". They have been out looking at possible sites there since 8am this morning.

tlongII
07-19-2006, 03:03 PM
Right now it looks like Bellevue (Seattle suburb) might be emerging as where they will "relocate". They have been out looking at possible sites there since 8am this morning.

They are counting on getting public financing. That is highly unlikely in Seattle right now. I expect them to be in OKC for the 07-08 season.

Kori Ellis
07-19-2006, 03:04 PM
They are counting on getting public financing. That is highly unlikely in Seattle right now. I expect them to be in OKC for the 07-08 season.

I don't know if it's "highly" unlikely but yes, unlikely. They are going to try at least. It looks like the Hornets might be staying in OKC.

tlongII
07-19-2006, 03:16 PM
I don't know if it's "highly" unlikely but yes, unlikely. They are going to try at least. It looks like the Hornets might be staying in OKC.

The Hornets applied for permanent relocation to OKC, but that runs counter to Stern's wishes. The political climate in Seattle right now makes it highly unlikely that the Sonics will get public funding. My understanding is that public financing for a new arena or refurbishing Key Arena would have to be put to a public vote. No way that would pass currently.

Kori Ellis
07-19-2006, 03:21 PM
The Hornets applied for permanent relocation to OKC, but that runs counter to Stern's wishes. The political climate in Seattle right now makes it highly unlikely that the Sonics will get public funding. My understanding is that public financing for a new arena or refurbishing Key Arena would have to be put to a public vote. No way that would pass currently.

Actually the people have wanted it to come to a public vote for a while but Schultz/Walker were doing a horrible job in talks with local government. I'm guessing new ownership will try to get it up for vote soon if Shinn is planning on staying in OKC. If Shinn actually applied to stay permanently there, I'm not sure if Stern could deny him considering how horrible N.O. was as a location even prior to Katrina. Shinn can make a good case.

We'll see.

dknights411
07-19-2006, 06:09 PM
Ok, how about THIS scenario:

Hornets stay in New Orleans.
Sonics move to OKC.
Kings move to Seattle.

Not gonna happen, I know. But it would be so hilarious if the Kings move to King county, Washington. :lol

StylisticS
07-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Hornets move back to New Orleans
Sonics stay in Seattle and gets a new arena
OKC is assed out