PDA

View Full Version : Sleep

Kori Ellis
07-18-2006, 04:00 PM
I didn't go to sleep last night at all because I stayed up too late.

So what do you think I should do at this point?

Stay awake and just go to sleep early tonight or take a nap now?

1Parker1
07-18-2006, 04:01 PM
Take a nap now, find another activity to keep you busy tonight. :angel

katyon6th
07-18-2006, 04:02 PM
You're used to staying up and sleeping in, yes?

I'd say take a nap. I love naps. Naps are fucking wonderful.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-18-2006, 04:03 PM
Stay awake.

Whenever I try to nap in those situations I usually feel like crap when I wake up.

Better to stay awake, then about 9pm take a couple valium and call it a night.

You'll wake up feeling fantastic....

ShoogarBear
07-18-2006, 04:04 PM
I always say stay awake and go to bed early so you don't screw up the sleep-wake cycle. Unless yours is already permanently screwed up.

Kori Ellis
07-18-2006, 04:05 PM
You're used to staying up and sleeping in, yes?

I'd say take a nap. I love naps. Naps are fucking wonderful.

I usually stay up til around 5-6am and then sleep til 11am. But today, we got to 9am and still had not slept yet. So we just stayed up. Now I'm getting tired.

ShoogarBear
I would avoid the Valium, though.

Kori Ellis
I would avoid the Valium, though.
Yeah me too.

ShoogarBear
Oh, no. You're in danger of converting to a normal cycle!

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Yeah me too.

Actually, for any kids reading this, the Valium part was a joke.

I'd never recommend self-medicating in order to fall asleep (it tends not to mix well with the alcohol in my system).

You're better off staying awake at this point, Kori. You'll get your second (or third) wind anytime now.

MannyIsGod
07-18-2006, 04:18 PM
Man, I usually end up passing out when that happens to me. Poker has turned my sleeping pattern on its head. I really don't have a pattern now, except htat when I'm sleepy I sleep and when I'm not I don't. I'm not on a daily pattern.

Kori Ellis
07-18-2006, 04:19 PM
really don't have a pattern now, except htat when I'm sleepy I sleep and when I'm not I don't.

Me too.

But right now I think I past the time that it's reasonable to go to sleep. Maybe I'll nap for a few hours and then go back to sleep at 2am or so.

MannyIsGod
07-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Yeah, I'd probably nap right now if I was tired. I will usually sleep 6-8 hours each day, but the time I fall asleep varries from midnight to sometimes as late as noon. If I am up till noon, I try not to sleep for more than 3-4 hours at the most. It just throws me way the fuck off if I sleep more than that during the afternoon.

On second though, seeing as how it is already 4, I'd probably stay up untill midnight or so if I were you then just pass out for a good 8-10 hour long sleep. Those long sleeps leave me feeling bad ass!

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-18-2006, 04:27 PM
Manny, people like you and Kori are tough!

I can't do that to myself. Bedtime for me is anywhere from 11pm to 1am. If I vary, or miss it I'm pretty much out of it the next day.

MissAllThat
07-18-2006, 04:27 PM
Kori my sister did that yesterday in an attempt to get back to a normal sleep cycle. She passed out at around 10 and slept until like 8 or 9 am. Just keep yourself busy until later tonight.

Insomniac
07-18-2006, 04:30 PM
I haven't had a sleeping pattern in years.

MannyIsGod
07-18-2006, 04:31 PM
Manny, people like you and Kori are tough!

I can't do that to myself. Bedtime for me is anywhere from 11pm to 1am. If I vary, or miss it I'm pretty much out of it the next day.A few years ago, I worked as a graveyard dispatcher. Man, now THAT was tough because I had to force myself to go to sleep early in the morning. It was just a really weird way to live. I did it for about 3 months and though the job was probably the most fun I've ever had and paid well, I just couldn't do it any longer.

Guru of Nothing
07-18-2006, 04:46 PM
I didn't go to sleep last night at all because I stayed up too late.

So what do you think I should do at this point?

Stay awake and just go to sleep early tonight or take a nap now?

Try to establish a new record for consecutive hours awake. My personal best is 56 hours - drinking inclusive.

You have hundreds, if not thousands, to cheer you on.

jman3000
07-18-2006, 05:13 PM
Try to establish a new record for consecutive hours awake. My personal best is 56 hours - drinking inclusive.

You have hundreds, if not thousands, to cheer you on.

during the first gulf war, i stayed up for nearly 72 hours.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-18-2006, 06:04 PM
I did 3 1/2 days when I was 19 years old just for the hell of it (without the assistance of drugs...caffeine excluded).

You begin to hallucinate pretty bad at the end of the 3rd day. I watched shag carpet dance. I ended the run at a friends party, crashed on their couch, slept 8 hours and then drove 11 straight hours from San Antonio to New Mexico.

Good times.

Now being up 24 straight hours feels like I'm dying.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
07-18-2006, 06:08 PM
My circadium ryhthm has always been fucked up. Lately, I'm lucky to get 3-4 hours of sleep a night.

I did take a 5 hour nap over the weekend and it was fan-fucking-tastic.

NASpurs
07-18-2006, 06:11 PM
Man, how does your brain function being awake that long? I usually enter zombie state after 20+ hours and I couldn't imagine how I would feel staying awake any more after that.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-18-2006, 06:18 PM
Man, how does your brain function being awake that long? I usually enter zombie state after 20+ hours and I couldn't imagine how I would feel staying awake anymore after that.

I could never stay up like that again. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I have my bedtime and I feel like crap if I miss it.

But at the time it was pretty easy. I was challenging a friend of mine to see who could stay up the longest and, being competitive, we used the adrenaline factor to our advantage. Your body will get tired, but then you recover and feel fine, it's really weird. I'd go through points where I was sure I was going to pass out, and then suddenly I'd feel ok again for several hours.

Once I started seeing things that weren't there is when I decided I'd put myself through enough abuse.

Guru of Nothing
07-18-2006, 06:42 PM
I'd go through points where I was sure I was going to pass out, and then suddenly I'd feel ok again for several hours.

Brain heaves - kind of like dry heaves.

Bob Lanier
07-18-2006, 06:48 PM
Never waste an opportunity to get some sleep.

Sleep cycles are for kids and lower animals.

AlamoSpursFan
07-18-2006, 07:31 PM
For some reason I can't sleep at night in bed anymore.

Of course, behind the wheel of 78,000 pounds of 18-wheeler going 65 mph down the highway, I have no problem whatsoever!

:lol

atxrocker
07-18-2006, 07:33 PM
sleep is the cousin of death. i usually catch about 4 hrs, sleep in for about 6-7 on the weekends

ShoogarBear
07-18-2006, 08:47 PM
I had to as a matter of course pull innumerable all-nighters during a period of about 10 years.

Now, I still have to be up late at night a lot, but at some point my brain will just give up and shut down and I will pass out whereever I happen to be for an hour or so.

katyon6th
07-18-2006, 09:10 PM
My unhealthy obsession with coffee started during college when I'd be up until it was time for class the next day. Now that I'm out of college and have a job that requries me to be in at 9 during the week, I'm like a fucking grandma. I need at the very least 6 hrs of decent sleep or my body hates me the next day, coffee can't even make up for that shit.

Extra Stout
07-18-2006, 09:12 PM
My unhealthy obsession with coffee started during college when I'd be up until it was time for class the next day. Now that I'm out of college and have a job that requries me to be in at 9 during the week, I'm like a fucking grandma. I need at the very least 6 hrs of decent sleep or my body hates me the next day, coffee can't even make up for that shit.
It only gets worse as you age.

katyon6th
07-18-2006, 09:15 PM
It only gets worse as you age.

Considering I'm only 22, I'd say I'm fucked.

CuckingFunt
07-18-2006, 09:20 PM
I can go to sleep at any time of the night and be okay as long as I still wake up at 6:45 AM. If that's 15 minutes or 20 hours of sleep, doesn't matter.

But if I sleep in past 7:00 AM? Fuck it. Day's cancelled.

Extra Stout
07-18-2006, 09:24 PM
Considering I'm only 22, I'd say I'm fucked.
Soon you will need 7 hours, and if you don't get it, you are rendered a zombie all day that can do nothing more than wait for the day to end so you can fall asleep and hopefully catch up.

Then once you're 30, it takes a week to get caught up.