PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Prepared To Enter Iraq (and not the coalition either)

Nbadan
07-18-2006, 04:22 PM
Turkey signals it's prepared to enter Iraq
By LOUIS MEIXLER, Associated Press Writer
24 minutes ago

ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish officials signaled Tuesday they are prepared to send the army into northern Iraq if U.S. and Iraqi forces do not take steps to combat Turkish Kurdish guerrillas there — a move that could put Turkey on a collision course with the United States

Turkey is facing increasing domestic pressure to act after 15 soldiers, police and guards were killed fighting the guerrillas in southeastern Turkey in the past week.

"The government is really in a bind," said Seyfi Tashan, director of the Foreign Policy Institute at Bilkent University in Ankara. "On the one hand, they don't want things to break down with the United States. On the other hand, the public is crying for action."

Diplomats and experts cautioned the increasingly aggressive Turkish statements were likely aimed at calming public anger and pressing the U.S. and Iraq to act against the Turkish Kurdish guerrillas. But they also said Turkish politicians and military officers could act if nothing is done.

Yahoo News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060718/ap_on_re_as/turkey_kurds)

The Turks want the US to crack down on the only group of Iraqis that have accepted US occupation peacefully. Good luck with that! There is no love lost between the Turkmen and Shia for the Kurds.

boutons_
07-18-2006, 04:40 PM
The worms in dubya and dickhead's Repug can of worms are spilling out bigger, nastier, wilder, more vicious.

America can sleep sound, America is safer, now that the Repugs have liberated Iraq from Saddam. GMAFB

Wolfowtiz bailed early and a got a cushy job with World Bank.

dubya and dickhead must hang around until Jan 2009.
But they know the oilco/MIC $Ms will be waiting to pay them back.

Can any serious commentator say that the M/E, and therefore the USA/world, is better off now than it was before the Repug invasion?

clambake
07-18-2006, 05:21 PM
If were all still around in 2008.

01Snake
07-18-2006, 10:00 PM
Can any serious commentator say that the M/E, and therefore the USA/world, is better off now than it was before the Repug invasion?

Yep you're right. Lets just all kill ourselves.

Idiot

boutons_
07-18-2006, 10:01 PM
There are Kurds in Turkey AND Iran!

Kurds been agitating for their own state for decades, carved out of Turkey, Iraq, Iran

"Kurds make up some 7 percent of Iran's population of 68 million"

http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle/2005/07/16b8fdcd-3577-425a-ba99-369e3ce6f058.html

ShackO
07-18-2006, 11:50 PM
The Kurds are not agitating.......... They have been there for a long time...... Saladin was a Kurd... You heard of him???

It was the fuxing british bowing to the fuxing turks that caused it to be divided up between them as well as Syria and some in Armenia.....

T-Pain
07-18-2006, 11:53 PM
wow so i guess were fixin to fight the war on two fronts huh...

ShackO
07-19-2006, 12:20 AM
I wouldn't go get my gun just yet.........

The turks have a lot to loose... They want in the EU..... and are part of NATO...

The USA has committed to backing up the Kurds....... Although it wouldn't be the first time they sold someone out......

velik_m
07-19-2006, 01:19 AM
Turks have regulary entered Iraq because of Kurds in the past, so this is no surprise.

Kurds should have their own state, there's a lot of them.

jochhejaam
07-19-2006, 06:09 AM
Can any serious commentator say that the U.S. or World would be better off if we hadn't taken the war on terrorism to the terrrorists?
What's your point bouts?

I'll start your response for ya bouts and you can finish; Dubya, dickhead, Repug...

MannyIsGod
07-19-2006, 06:35 AM
He didn't say the war on terror, he said the invasion of Iraq.

xrayzebra
07-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Manny, the invasion of Iraq is part of the war on terror.

cheguevara
07-19-2006, 08:47 AM
:lol The similarities are there. Lebanese govt cannot control Hezbolla so Israel strikes. Iraq govt along w/US help cannot control shit going on in Iraq so someone should strike?

Maybe Israel should become the world police. They seem to be better at it than US.

ShackO
07-19-2006, 09:12 AM
Turks have regulary entered Iraq because of Kurds in the past, so this is no surprise.

Kurds should have their own state, there's a lot of them.

Agreed... That is the problem........ There is no reason other than turkey does not want them to have one..........

ShackO
07-19-2006, 09:15 AM
Can any serious commentator say that the U.S. or World would be better off if we hadn't taken the war on terrorism to the terrrorists?
What's your point bouts?

I'll start your response for ya bouts and you can finish; Dubya, dickhead, Repug...

LMAO!!!!!!!!!! :smokin

I agree but nation building and invading Iraq was never a good idea in my mind... Although it is to late now I think sadaam could have been a useful tool against bin laden........ They hated him almost as much as us......... And you know how sadaam and his boys like to handle ppl that don't like them.....

velik_m
07-19-2006, 09:27 AM
Agreed... That is the problem........ There is no reason other than turkey does not want them to have one..........

well Turkey, Iran and Iraq.

boutons_
07-19-2006, 10:11 AM
I've had joke-y-jam on IGNORE for years. From the quotes by others, he's still posting worthless, silly shit, as always.

DarkReign
07-19-2006, 10:33 AM
You know, I have never used the ignore feature in my entire e-life.

Just feels....dirty to me.

valluco
07-19-2006, 10:55 AM
Manny, the invasion of Iraq is part of the war on terror.
:blah

ShackO
07-19-2006, 08:27 PM
well Turkey, Iran and Iraq.

Yep, no one does........ Iraq would not have a choice...... Down the road they may not still have a choice........ Iran would be tougher to deal with on the issue but the Turks would rather kill them all then let them live in peace in their own land.....

jochhejaam
07-19-2006, 08:39 PM
I've had joke-y-jam on IGNORE for years.
Years? I joined 13 months ago (6/6/05). :lol

I obviously don't have bouts on ignore but I'll admit to frequently hyper-speed scrolling through his posts (read one, you've read 'em all). :D

whottt
07-19-2006, 08:40 PM
I've had joke-y-jam on IGNORE for years. From the quotes by others, he's still posting worthless, silly shit, as always.

Whatever you did to get this tool to put you on ignore Jochhe...well done :tu

whottt
07-19-2006, 08:42 PM
BTW, I'd just like to go on record here as being fully in support of a Kurdish state if it comes down to it, since they seem to be the only ones capable of somewhat humane self governance.

Doubtful it would happen though since they'd want to take the Oil with them.

ShackO
07-19-2006, 09:04 PM
:lol Me too...............

I think it will spare some blood.........

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-19-2006, 09:30 PM

Pot, meet kettle.

Nbadan
07-20-2006, 11:22 PM
WASHINGTON has warned Turkey that the US opposes any attempt by Istanbul to pursue separatist Kurdish rebels into northern Iraq.

The statement came a day after Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said his security forces were drawing up such plans.

---

The US statement, issued by its embassy in Ankara, said Turkey had a right to defend itself against Kurdish rebels but warned against unilateral action across the border.

Mr Erdogan said: "There is no point in endlessly discussing the issue. Our security forces are getting on with their task. Whatever steps need to be taken will definitely be taken."

The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19859184-2703,00.html)

No peace for you! :lol

Oh, the irony...

Nbadan
07-23-2006, 04:01 AM
Bush pledges US help to Turkey over Kurd rebels
(AFP)
22 July 2006

CRAWFORD, Texas - US President George W. Bush told Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Saturday that the United States will help Turkey in the face of attacks by Kurdish rebels, the White House said.

The two leaders also discussed US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice’s upcoming trip to the Middle East and “ways to address the humanitarian needs of the Lebanese people” amid Israeli strikes, said spokeswoman Dana Perino.

“They also discussed the continuing PKK terrorist attacks against Turkey. The president told the prime minister that the United States will work with Turkey to deal with this terrorist threat,” said Perino.

The two leaders had also spoken on the telephone Thursday, after Ankara threatened a cross-border operation if Washington and Baghdad fail to crack down on the separatist Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) in northern Iraq.(snip/...)

khaleejtimes (http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticleNew.asp?xfile=data/theworld/2006/July/theworld_July554.xml)

Looks like the Kurds are gonna get shit on again by another Bush. Ah, like father like son.