PDA

View Full Version : Suns to sign Marcus Banks?

PhxDog
07-18-2006, 04:23 PM
This is from radio (Gambodoro, who's somewhat reliable at best), so no link.

The Suns have apparently agreed to a contract with Marcus Banks--5 years, $21m.

If true, Banks fills the Suns' biggest need, a fourth guard who doesn't suck. I kind of like Banks, from what little I've seen of him, and he's better than just about anybody left on the market at this point...

ducks
07-18-2006, 04:29 PM
intersting
I think he is cheaper then their current one and they will let him walk
and keep diaw
and marion

NBA Junkie
07-18-2006, 06:29 PM
Not a bad move for Phoenix considering that they would like to reduce Nash' minutes down to about 30 a game so he's fresher.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-18-2006, 06:32 PM
I thought he turned down all these teams because he wants starting spot. How come he changed his mind?

ChumpDumper
07-18-2006, 06:33 PM
Whoever pays the most gets him.

PhxDog
07-19-2006, 02:33 AM
Looks like you can remove that question mark:

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0719suns0719.html

Marcus Banks and his family threw a surprise birthday party for his mother Saturday under the guise that she had to attend a meeting with a prospective NBA team.

He topped that surprise this week when the Las Vegas native firmed up plans to play closer to home with the Suns. Banks, who arrived in the Valley on Tuesday night, came to terms with the Suns on a five-year contract worth about $21 million. The deal could be official as soon as Thursday.

"We're honored to be with the Suns and a hop, skip and a jump away," his father, Arthur, said. "We really feel like it's an ideal fit with the Suns' style. Marcus is so ecstatic about it."

PhxDog
07-19-2006, 03:38 AM
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/15070480.htm

Suns expected to sign backup guard as early as Thursday
BY JERRY BROWN
East Valley Tribune (Mesa, Ariz.)

MESA, Ariz. - The Phoenix Suns will address their most pressing offseason need as early as Thursday when they sign backup point guard Marcus Banks to a five-year contract and complete what should be a deeper, well-rounded backcourt rotation.

League sources say Banks has cooled on the idea of going to Houston, a team that also had its full $5.2 million exception available, clearing the path for him to sign a five-year deal in excess of $20 million with the Suns. A strong on-the-ball defender and good open-court player who loves to run, the 6-foot-2 Banks isn't as big as what Phoenix was originally shopping for. But, Banks' quickness, tenacity on defense and ability to "get under" bigger guards like Dallas' Jerry Stackhouse and Shaun Livingston of the Clippers will give the Suns a weapon they lacked against two playoff opponents last season - someone who can pester such players and affect their offensive games.

With Steve Nash and Raja Bell as the starters and Leandro Barbosa and Banks off the bench, the Suns will be able to mix-and-match all four and make a big cut into the career-high 35.4 minutes Nash logged last season. Banks started 28 of 40 games after coming to Minnesota last January from Boston - where he fell out of favor with management - and played 30 minutes a night for the T-Wolves.

The signing of Banks leaves the Suns with the rest of their mid-level exception and a $3.6 million trade exception, which must be used by Aug. 21, as they go shopping for a backup big man to go with Banks and shooter Eric Piatkowski and complete their work for the summer. Sources indicate Suns managing partner Robert Sarver has given his blessing for GM Mike D'Antoni to exceed the $65.4 million tax threshold if needed to big in one more rotation player to complete the puzzle.

Big men such as Cleveland's Drew Gooden remain restricted free agents - Gooden's contract talks have hit a wall - while sign-and-trade deals similar to the one Phoenix waved at Philadelphia in an attempt to acquire John Salmons last week are still a possibility.

The addition of Banks all but eliminates the possibility of Eddie House returning to the Suns. House, who wants more playing time than last season and would now be likely to receive less, still has teams like Miami and Denver interested in his services. The final player on the Suns roster will be a minimum salary player who is not considered part of the rotation.

Banks is known as an intense player - even in some cases, volatile - who has little tolerance for players who take plays off or fail to keep pace. But dust-ups with former teammates don't seem to concern the Suns, who see him as a good addition to what has been a harmonious locker room.

"big in" means "bring in", I think. Just a little freudian slip by Mr. Brown. ;)

Streakyshooter08
07-19-2006, 04:09 AM
I don't see how Phx needs another PG?! Will Barbosa play SG then? Banks is a good player, so it was probably a good signing...

TDMVPDPOY
07-19-2006, 08:15 AM
thats pretty cheap, considering thats nearly the whole MLE.

ShoogarBear
07-19-2006, 09:17 AM
Banks would be a huge pickup for the Suns. Barbosa is a more natural shooting guard anyway.

Babosa and Banks would be a smallish backcourt, but the way Phoenix plays, it wouldn't matter.

JMarkJohns
07-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Banks would be a huge pickup for the Suns. Barbosa is a more natural shooting guard anyway.

Babosa and Banks would be a smallish backcourt, but the way Phoenix plays, it wouldn't matter.

What Shoogar said...

Barbosa has the ability to backup the point, but not the mentality. He's got everything it takes, except the mindset. He makes a bad pass, he gets down on himself. He drives too far, he becomes court aware and too cautious.

He's best as the uber-quick wing which NO SG in the League can defend 1-on-1. He's over 50% from the field, 45% from range and 80% from the line as a SG.

The percentages drop significantly when he's at PG. He's just not comfortable. Players have to play instinctively. Barbosa is best when he's reading a defense with the mindset of scoring. He can make the pass, he's just not the PG.

Bell swung over to SF at times last season as well.

I figure the minutes will be as follows...

PG: Nash 28 (first 7/8 in 1st/3rd, last 7/8 in 2nd/4th), Banks 20
SG: Bell 20, Barbosa 28... Sato (I figure)
SF: Marion 25, Jones 15, Bell 8... Piatkowski
PF: Amare 30, Marion 13, Diaw 5... Lampe (I figure)
C: Diaw 28, KThomas 20... Burke

In total...

Marion 38 minutes
Diaw 32 minutes
Amare 30 minutes
Nash 28 minutes
Bell 28 minutes
Barbosa 28 minutes
Banks 20 minutes
KThomas 20 minutes
Jones 15 minutes

That's a pretty solid 9-man rotation.

As far as Banks goes. At this point, almost anything was an upgrade at the backup spot. However, Banks, while a legit PG, doesn't shoot very well from anywhere. He gets to the basket, which hopefully will create his and the teams offense, but I'd feel much better about this signing if his shot improves the way Diaw's did throughout the course of the season. At first, you cringed when Diaw attempted a shot from outside of 10 feet. By January, you merely covered eyes. By the All-Star break, you watched, but kept them fingers crossed and by the playoffs it was reliable enough to be assumed good if he was open.

With Banks' driving ability, he'd be close to unstoppable with a mid-range game.

Also, I want to see how he handles "winging it". It takes a lot of smarts to succeed in that style and one thing most everyone questioned about Banks was his ability to make the right decisions.

Still, they finally have a bench creater with a tight-handle (as opposed to Barbosa's all arms and limbs approach) who's capable of eating major minutes.

spur219
07-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Great signing for the Suns. He is a quick first step PG and is very good defensively. Arguably the best defensive PG in the league.

AZLouis
07-20-2006, 02:52 PM
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...s/15077852.htm

Banks expected to sign with Suns
BY RICK ALONZO
Pioneer Press

Free-agent point guard Marcus Banks was in Phoenix on Wednesday and is expected to complete a long-term deal with the Suns.

Banks' departure from Minnesota isn't a surprise after the Wolves signed free agent Mike James to a four-year, $23.5 million deal that made James the No. 1 point guard.

Banks' father, Arthur, said Wednesday his son's contract with Phoenix is for five years and worth more than $21 million. He said his son wanted to re-sign with the Wolves, who gave the point guard his big break by starting him for the final 28 games last season.

The elder Banks confirmed his son turned down a contract offer from Minnesota. He said Marcus had a "great rapport" with Wolves vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale and coach Dwane Casey.

But Arthur Banks said Wolves officials gave him and his son the "cold shoulder" recently at the Las Vegas summer league.

"I seen them at Las Vegas, and it was just like, 'Hello, Mr. Banks. Hello, Marcus Banks,' " Arthur Banks said. "It wasn't a good place to talk business, but I thought they should have been more enthusiastic."

On July 11, James agreed to sign for the team's full mid-level exception. After that, the Wolves couldn't offer Banks more than $2.46 million for next season because the team is over the salary cap.

Marcus Banks had a difficult time dealing with Minnesota's acquisition of James.

"Believe me, he was hurt," Arthur Banks said. "I couldn't get him out of his bedroom for about two or three days. He's a really strong competitor. He's not bitter at Mike; he played with him in Boston."

So the guard shifted his focus to the Suns. Phoenix officials traveled to Las Vegas, Banks' hometown, to meet with the free agent earlier this week.

Arthur Banks said he believes his son will fit in well with the Suns' running style. He will back up Steve Nash, the NBA's most valuable player the past two seasons.

Did the Suns sign Banks the pro or Banks the 15 year old JV standout?

shaggy17
07-21-2006, 04:49 PM
What Shoogar said...

Barbosa has the ability to backup the point, but not the mentality. He's got everything it takes, except the mindset. He makes a bad pass, he gets down on himself. He drives too far, he becomes court aware and too cautious.

He's best as the uber-quick wing which NO SG in the League can defend 1-on-1. He's over 50% from the field, 45% from range and 80% from the line as a SG.

The percentages drop significantly when he's at PG. He's just not comfortable. Players have to play instinctively. Barbosa is best when he's reading a defense with the mindset of scoring. He can make the pass, he's just not the PG.

Bell swung over to SF at times last season as well.

I figure the minutes will be as follows...

PG: Nash 28 (first 7/8 in 1st/3rd, last 7/8 in 2nd/4th), Banks 20
SG: Bell 20, Barbosa 28... Sato (I figure)
SF: Marion 25, Jones 15, Bell 8... Piatkowski
PF: Amare 30, Marion 13, Diaw 5... Lampe (I figure)
C: Diaw 28, KThomas 20... Burke

In total...

Marion 38 minutes
Diaw 32 minutes
Amare 30 minutes
Nash 28 minutes
Bell 28 minutes
Barbosa 28 minutes
Banks 20 minutes
KThomas 20 minutes
Jones 15 minutes

That's a pretty solid 9-man rotation.

As far as Banks goes. At this point, almost anything was an upgrade at the backup spot. However, Banks, while a legit PG, doesn't shoot very well from anywhere. He gets to the basket, which hopefully will create his and the teams offense, but I'd feel much better about this signing if his shot improves the way Diaw's did throughout the course of the season. At first, you cringed when Diaw attempted a shot from outside of 10 feet. By January, you merely covered eyes. By the All-Star break, you watched, but kept them fingers crossed and by the playoffs it was reliable enough to be assumed good if he was open.

With Banks' driving ability, he'd be close to unstoppable with a mid-range game.

Also, I want to see how he handles "winging it". It takes a lot of smarts to succeed in that style and one thing most everyone questioned about Banks was his ability to make the right decisions.

Still, they finally have a bench creater with a tight-handle (as opposed to Barbosa's all arms and limbs approach) who's capable of eating major minutes.

Great pickup for you guys! I am just praying Amare is coming around and keeps working at getting healthier and healthier. If Amare is in good shape Suns>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mavs easily