PDA

View Full Version : College students signed "petition to legalize weed" W/O reading it; now Republicans

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-19-2004, 10:07 PM
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=13166132&BRD=1672&PAG=461&dept_id=33380&rfi=6

Marijuana 'petition' actually voter registration form

By: MARGARET GIBBONS , Times Herald Staff 10/19/2004

COURTHOUSE - Montgomery County Community College (MCCC) students recently received a real-life lesson: Do not sign something unless you thoroughly read it.

Students, who last month signed a petition that was being circulated on the Blue Bell campus to legalize marijuana for primarily medicinal purposes, now are finding out that they are registered Republicans.

"This is just very disheartening," said Plymouth resident Jennifer Fugo, a 24-year-old continuing education student who describes herself as a "victim of voter registration manipulation."

"Everyone is encouraging young people to register and vote and then they experience something like this," Fugo said Monday. "This is just outrageous."

Fugo, who had been living in New York, this summer returned to the area and, in August, had her voter registration transferred to Plymouth. Her new registration card at that time correctly listed her party affiliation as a Democrat.

Imagine her surprise last week, said Fugo, when she received a new registration card from the county that listed her as a registered Republican.

"It is disgraceful and detestable, not to mention illegal, to alter anyone's voter registration without that person's consent," Fugo said. "The thought that there is a special interest group in my area that is knowingly defrauding citizens voting records is outrageous, no matter what party or interest group is perpetrating this act."

When she contacted the county's voter registration office, she was advised that she was not the only MCCC student who was a victim of registration fraud.

County voter services Director Joseph R. Passarella said that his office has received "less than a handful" of complaints from MCCC students complaining that they have been registered as Republicans and all were tied into the same petition drive.

His office has not been able to pin down the group that submitted these registrations.

Passarella speculated that there are various organizations this year who are paying people to register new voters in specific parties and that this was the work of someone trying to cash in on the registrations.

The good news is that it does not make any difference in what party a person is registered in the upcoming election because a registered voter can vote for any candidate on the ticket regardless of party, Passarella said.

However, if a person wants to vote in next spring's Democratic or Republican primary elections and is not registered in the party of his or her choice, he or she can change the registration after the Nov. 2 general election, he said.

"I think these kids learned the hard way to make sure they read things before signing them and not sign anything that is questionable," Passarella said.

Fugo said she had questioned the signing of the registration form, telling the petition circulator that she already was registered to vote. He told her they were just using the form for information purposes and that she could not sign the petition unless she also signed the form.

Susan Adams, MCCC's director of marketing and communications, Monday said she was first alerted to the situation last Friday after the school had received calls from a student and the parent of another student.

Adams said that all persons circulating petitions on the college's campus must first sign in with the school.

No one signed in nor received an OK to circulate the marijuana petition, Adams said.

MCCC in early September did host a voter registration drive where the Republican, Democratic and Green Parties participated, Adams said.

"That was very successful," said Adams. "There is a lot of interest in this election."

Montgomery County Republican Committee Executive Director Adam Gattuso said the county GOP did not condone such registration fraud and did not learn about it until late last week.

"That is despicable and not something we would do nor need to do," said Gattuso.

Blaze's Take: Bwa-hahahahahahaha

MannyIsGod
10-20-2004, 02:11 AM
however, we all know there is no such thing as republican voter fraud.

whottt
10-20-2004, 02:15 AM
They have to do something to combat the illegal activities of the Democrats.

whottt
10-20-2004, 02:17 AM
And BTW, it was probably the Democrats that did this you know....what the hell would the Republicans be hoping to gain from it? Did they think they were going to get a bunch of potheads to vote for Bush? Do you honestly believe that?

I'd say every last one of those students was going to vote democrat before signing that petition and even moreso now that they think the Republicans have screwed them...So basically if the Republicans are behind this that means they were trying to register democratic voters...why?

JoeChalupa
10-20-2004, 07:39 AM
Those bastards!!

MimiOh
10-20-2004, 07:50 AM
I'm with Blaze on this one..

Bwa-hahahahahahaha

Marcus Bryant
10-20-2004, 07:59 AM
Funny stuff. So now some individuals are registered to vote. What's the problem?

MimiOh
10-20-2004, 08:29 AM
It says right in the article only a handful of people made a complaint about it.

JoeChalupa
10-20-2004, 10:08 AM
Who cares. Fire one up and go vote!

http://www.kerryhatersforkerry.com/longface.jpg

Clandestino
10-20-2004, 03:04 PM
just bc you are registered as democrat or republican doesn't mean that you have to vote that way...

SpursWoman
10-20-2004, 03:19 PM
The good news is that it does not make any difference in what party a person is registered in the upcoming election because a registered voter can vote for any candidate on the ticket regardless of party, Passarella said.

I mean shit, at least we know they're not registering dead people or anything....they got real, live signatures.

Yonivore
10-20-2004, 03:39 PM
Okay, some dumbasses on a college campus pull a stunt and, all of a sudden, it rises to the level of the DNC Political Machine's decades old bag of tricks? Please!

I'm sure you've seen the DNC Election Day handbook that exhorts operatives to just make shit up about voter intimidation and disenfranchisement if they don't witness it...

Yeah, I'm worried about being "registered" as something I'm not. Woooo, scary!

JoeChalupa
10-20-2004, 03:48 PM
Just vote and MOVE ON!!

Yonivore
10-20-2004, 03:52 PM
Just vote and MOVE ON!!
You seem weary, Joe. Gettin' tired of defending your fellow Demoncrats, are ya?

JoeChalupa
10-20-2004, 03:54 PM
No, not at all.
Just don't think this is a big deal.
And besides, I support my party.

I see you got tired of defending your republican, err..libertarian party months ago. :)

Yonivore
10-20-2004, 04:01 PM
No, not at all.
Just don't think this is a big deal.
And besides, I support my party.

I see you got tired of defending your republican, err..libertarian party months ago. :)
Yeah, I gave up on the national Libertarian Party when they started arguing over whether they should condemn Neal Boortz or not...pretty sad state of affairs.

You don't think the DNC's organized efforts to frame the election aftermath are a big deal?

JoeChalupa
10-20-2004, 04:55 PM
I don't agree with everything the DNC does or says.

Sometimes they piss me off so much my cuticles hurt.