PDA

View Full Version : Most overpaid player in NBA

Eric Dampier
07-18-2006, 10:13 PM
who is it? to me, there is nothing more that i hate than somebody who gets the money shoved down his throat and then is lazy while showing no effort on the court.

awmyplace
07-18-2006, 10:15 PM
Eric Dampier is the overpaid player in the Nba.

SoCalSpursFan
07-18-2006, 10:20 PM
the entire new york knick team.

ShoogarBear
07-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Michael Finley. :spin

(Thanks, Mark!)

awmyplace
07-18-2006, 10:28 PM

They are the wrost team in the Nba.

spurs=bling
07-18-2006, 10:29 PM

(Thanks, Mark!)
:lol

awmyplace
07-18-2006, 10:30 PM

ALVAREZ6
07-18-2006, 10:39 PM
I just find it sad how they have that gigantic pay roll and still manage to be the worst team in the league.

Bob Lanier
07-18-2006, 10:41 PM
Chris Webber and/or Jalen Rose.

Also from the top 30, Garnett, JO, Marbury, Fatass Davis, Marion, and Steve Francis from the overrated-and-overpaid contingent; Shaq, Kidd, Grant-Hill-drinks-Spite, and Eddie Jones from the over-the-hill-and-overpaid contigent; Antawn Jamison and Mike Bibby from the absolute-refuses-to-play-defense contingent; and H20 and Brian Grant, who are on the payroll despite having retired.

ShackO
07-18-2006, 10:53 PM
The correct answer is Chris webber...

baseline bum
07-18-2006, 11:14 PM
No contest. For this season it has to be Brian Grant. For an overall contract no one comes close to Zach Randolph.

DirkAB
07-18-2006, 11:24 PM
Chris Webber and/or Jalen Rose.

Also from the top 30, Garnett, JO, Marbury, Fatass Davis, Marion, and Steve Francis from the overrated-and-overpaid contingent; Shaq, Kidd, Grant-Hill-drinks-Spite, and Eddie Jones from the over-the-hill-and-overpaid contigent; Antawn Jamison and Mike Bibby from the absolute-refuses-to-play-defense contingent; and H20 and Brian Grant, who are on the payroll despite having retired.

Garnett, Marion, JO, Shaq, Kidd, Bibby and Jamison? Dude they aren't even close, they may be overpaid, but they are all great players that are worth a lot. There are so much worse contracts out there.

Pistons < Spurs
07-18-2006, 11:29 PM
Garnett, Marion, JO, Shaq, Kidd, Bibby and Jamison? Dude they aren't even close, they may be overpaid, but they are all great players that are worth a lot. There are so much worse contracts out there.
:tu :tu

Fabbs
07-18-2006, 11:38 PM
No contest. For this season it has to be Brian Grant. For an overall contract no one comes close to Zach Randolph.

I'm gonna go with a tie between Anfernee Hardaway and Grant Hill. Dishonorable mention for the rest, esp Jalen Rose.

Grant and here are some others, some retired but still drawing.

Allan Houston (NY) ........... $19,125,000 [retired 10/17]
Chris Webber (Phi) ........... $19,125,000
Anfernee Hardaway (NY) ....... $15,750,000
Grant Hill (Orl) ............. $15,694,250
Jalen Rose (Tor) ............. $15,694,250

NBA Junkie
07-18-2006, 11:43 PM
Troy Hudson
Peja Stojakovic

Trainwreck2100
07-18-2006, 11:54 PM
They all are. 7 figs to play a game is too much, but it takes money away from those asshole owners.

Mavs_man_41
07-19-2006, 12:03 AM
Erick Dampier is the most overpaid piece of shit the NBA has ever seen.

atxrocker
07-19-2006, 12:10 AM
Dirk. millions of dollars to pull a choke job on the big stage. does not deserve superstar money.

Mavs_man_41
07-19-2006, 12:13 AM
Dirk. millions of dollars to pull a choke job on the big stage. does not deserve superstar money.

I probably wouldn't be the worlds biggest Dirk Nowitzki fan if he wasn't on the mavs, but i wouldnt go that far. If it wasn't for him, the mavs would have never gotten there to begin with. Although he deserves alot of the blame, it isn't all his fault.

Axl Van Dam
07-19-2006, 12:41 AM
:tu
DAMN RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

DirkAB
07-19-2006, 01:14 AM

Yes he does, top 10 players in the NBA deserve superstar money, and he is top 10 w/o a doubt, maybe even top 5.

baseline bum
07-19-2006, 01:19 AM
I'm gonna go with a tie between Anfernee Hardaway and Grant Hill. Dishonorable mention for the rest, esp Jalen Rose.

Grant and here are some others, some retired but still drawing.

Allan Houston (NY) ........... $19,125,000 [retired 10/17]
Chris Webber (Phi) ........... $19,125,000
Anfernee Hardaway (NY) ....... $15,750,000
Grant Hill (Orl) ............. $15,694,250
Jalen Rose (Tor) ............. $15,694,250

Brian Grant @ $17.37 million is worse than all of those. At least those 5 were once great players who had injuries screw them over. Grant was never more than a slightly-above-average PF at the peak of his career.

atxrocker
07-19-2006, 01:22 AM
Yes he does, top 10 players in the NBA deserve superstar money, and he is top 10 w/o a doubt, maybe even top 5.

uh, ok. if you believe a guy who is a perinial loser is top 5 or 10, more power to you. not for my money though. and by the way, i could easily name 15-20 players I would rather have running my team than dirk. imo, he does not deserve superstar money, and certainly has not earned the right to be called a superstar in general.

DirkAB
07-19-2006, 01:48 AM
uh, ok. if you believe a guy who is a perinial loser is top 5 or 10, more power to you. not for my money though. and by the way, i could easily name 15-20 players I would rather have running my team than dirk. imo, he does not deserve superstar money, and certainly has not earned the right to be called a superstar in general.

Then by all means, name them. This will be interesting.

Nash
LeBron
Wade
Kobe
Duncan
Garnett
Uhh....................???????

BTW, what makes him a perenial loser? He's young and has already lead his team to the finals, plus he's the best player on a team that has made the playoffs how many times in a row now? If not winning the finals makes him a perenial loser, then I will love to see your list. No way you can keep him out of the top 10 w/o your list turning into a joke, but please try.

G-Money
07-19-2006, 01:59 AM
Ben Wallace

mffl89
07-19-2006, 02:02 AM
^^^ if atxrocker calls dirk a perenial loser, then what does that make garnett, mcgrady, and lebron?? their teams are no where close to that of the mavs...

East Coast Babe
07-19-2006, 03:03 AM
Garnett
Shaq

both get way too much money! Shaq is a superstar, but $100,000,000. superstar? Nope!!

rockets
07-19-2006, 09:03 AM

wow. i have to see that list. lets see here's the people i think are better than dirk

1. kobe
2. lebron
3. duncan
4. garnett (maybe)
5. wade

who else is better. not T-Mac. and please dont say anybody on the queens lol

Sportcamper
07-19-2006, 09:06 AM
Most overpaid player in the NBA has to be Brian Grant...And the Lakers just paid him about 16 million to sit on the bench for the Suns this year and next year they will pay him about 16 million to go fishing & watch TV...Grants salary does not come off the Lakers books until the end of the 2007 season...

Considering that Shaq is still playing...That Shaq’s “star-power” generates millions of dollars...That Miami just won their 1st NBA title...I think the Heat “MAY” have gotten the better deal in that trade.... :smokin

ShoogarBear
07-19-2006, 09:10 AM
^Which is why half of Lakersground was swinging from their shower rods in June.

pache100
07-19-2006, 09:13 AM
The one I think is most overpaid in the NBA is not on your list.

awmyplace
07-19-2006, 09:16 AM
Ben Wallace

awmyplace
07-19-2006, 09:18 AM
I vote for Stephon Marbury.

PaceMonster
07-19-2006, 09:18 AM
wow. i have to see that list. lets see here's the people i think are better than dirk

1. kobe
2. lebron
3. duncan
4. garnett (maybe)
5. wade

who else is better. not T-Mac. and please dont say anybody on the queens lol

actually i kind of agree with him...i definatly think t-mac is better than dirk...i would also rather steve nash running my team rather than dirk...i know abou 8-10 ppl id rather have on my team than dirk...even though i have great respect for him

awmyplace
07-19-2006, 09:19 AM
actually i kind of agree with him...i definatly think t-mac is better than dirk...i would also rather steve nash running my team rather than dirk...i know abou 8-10 ppl id rather have on my team than dirk...even though i have great respect for him

Yeah T-Mac is better than Dirk.

Sportcamper
07-19-2006, 09:27 AM
^Which is why half of Lakersground was swinging from their shower rods in June.

http://www.nba.com/media/sac_dan_305x350.jpg

I will be honest with you, I was one of those fans at Staples Center that had to read the sports page the next morning to find out if the Lakers won or not...

jacobdrj
07-19-2006, 09:27 AM
Ben may have been 'splurged on' a lil, but the most overpaid? The dude was the heart and soul, not to mention the centerpiece, of a championship team. Probably will take the Bulls to the Finals.

Naw, most overpaid, Grant Hill. He got a bazillion dollars for being injured. C-Webb may be overpaid relitive to his abilities, but at least he is still a productive member of his team.
Cardinal is a serviceable player. He only got like, what, the MLE?
Jalen, again, overpaid, but still productive.

And just because you don't understand economics does not mean professional athletes are overpaid. They are paid EXACTLY what they should be paid according to what the people in the economy is willing to pay them. Obveously, people take their entertainment very seriously. Supply and demand: There are only a few people on Earth who can do what pro athletes do. High demand, small supply. They are just playing a game? Well then, stop supporting your teams. Demand all ticket prices should be 5 dollars a ticket. Wait? That won't work? Why? Because other people will just buy the tickets anyways? Point proven...

rockets
07-19-2006, 10:07 AM
the most overpaid player is the fatass who made this thread

mabber
07-19-2006, 10:12 AM

(Thanks, Mark!)

Finley is easily the winner.

mabber
07-19-2006, 10:15 AM
Finley is easily the winner.

I take that back...I forgot about Brian Grant. Finley is #2.

Mavs_man_41
07-19-2006, 10:38 AM
Yeah T-Mac is better than Dirk.

STFU retard.

mabber
07-19-2006, 10:42 AM
STFU retard.

Hey now...that's not PC. awmyplace is just "slow" :lol

TDMVPDPOY
07-19-2006, 10:48 AM
KG deserves to get smack talk also

he wasnt complaining when he sign those max contracts,

now his whining about not winning a championship or the org is not doin enough to build around him, wtf do you expect to finance to build around him when his half the teams cap.

JamStone
07-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Guys like Brian Grant and Penny Hardaway were amnesty waived players, so while they are still getting big salaries, they are acknowledged as not living up to their contract and basically aren't really asked to earn their salaries. In some ways, I don't count them because of that.

Chris Webber, 2005-06: 20.2 ppg, 9.9 rpg, 3.4 apg, 1.37 spg, .83 bpg

Even though his team didn't make the playoffs and he plays on one leg and gets paid a ridiculous amount of money, I don't think you can really say he's the MOST overpaid player. He still puts up great numbers, and it could be argued that the Sixers would be even worse without him.

You could talk about players like Grant Hill, Baron Davis, or even Carlos Boozer who might come close to earning their salaries, but they are always injured and don't play enough games to earn them.

I would also look at guys like Jalen Rose and Eddie Jones, who are at the end of their big contracts and don't even come close to earning what they make. Or, a guy like Tyson Chandler, who gets paid crazy starting level jack completely based on potential. Raef Lafrentz too, who just can't justify being paid $10 million a year for the type of third rate, off-the-bench, role playing numbers he puts up.

But, if I would have to pick one player that is the MOST OVERPAID in the NBA, I'm quite confident that it is THEO RATLIFF.

THEO RATLIFF:

2006-07 salary: $11,666,666
2007-08 salary: $11,666,666

Last 2 seasons:

2004-05: 4.8 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 2.51 bpg
2005-06: 4.9 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.60 bpg

ALVAREZ6
07-19-2006, 11:05 AM
I loved Theo Ratliff when he was a Sixer.

He dominated.

JMarkJohns
07-19-2006, 11:12 AM
If healthy, in his prime players signs a contract (like Hill, Penny) then gets hurt to the extent that he's no longer capable of living up to said contract, then I don't believe it should be held against the player. It sucks, but how is blowing you knee out of having some rare bone condition the player's fault?

Now, if a player in the latter stages of or just past his prime is signed for big-money (like BGrant, Webber or Houston) and injury after injury occures, then the team asked for it while the player was mainly looking to cash in.

Then there's the bums like Dampier, Foyle and Van Horn where wonder what the GM was on when the contract was offered.

Of this list I'd say Grant, Houston or Foyle. The first two aren't playing but are still collected 15-per checks while Foyle is a never-was who's gettin' jack like a star to be, but rarely gets off the bench.

As far as all-time blunders, Tariq Abdul-Wahad (sp?) comes to mind.

DirkAB
07-19-2006, 11:12 AM
I loved Theo Ratliff when he was a Sixer.

He dominated.

That is the first time I've ever heard anybody call Ratliff dominant. He probably did dominate the inury list.

DirkAB
07-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Now, if a player in the latter stages of or just past his prime is signed for big-money (like BGrant, Webber or Houston) and injury after injury occures, then the team asked for it while the player was mainly looking to cash in.

You think that Webber was past his prime when he signed that contract? He was in the middle of his best season ever when he went down witht that knee injury.

JMarkJohns
07-19-2006, 11:25 AM
You think that Webber was past his prime when he signed that contract? He was in the middle of his best season ever when he went down witht that knee injury.

He wasn't past, but he was getting there. He'd been in the League for eight season's at that point. Wasn't the contract for seven years? You telling me your comfortable paying a 6-10, 250 pound big upwards of 12 to 20 million in his 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th years in the League?

That's why it was a bad contract. For those first three years, had the injury (which he had a history of before that contract extension) not occured, maybe things would be viewed differently, but those final four years are killers.

It's on thing for a player coming off his initial contract. Maybe even a shorter second contract, but for almost a 10-year vet? seven years, 100 million+?

Damn... Yes, it's definately up their with Houston and Grant.

TDMVPDPOY
07-19-2006, 11:35 AM
i reckon in the new cba, they should only pay if the players step on the court, instead of garunteeing them the money for the year.

strangeweather
07-19-2006, 11:42 AM
To heck with the players: Isiah Thomas is the most overpaid individual in the NBA.

Duff McCartney
07-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Erick Dampier. He is the most overpaid bag of crap ever....Dallas payed 73 million for about 6 fouls a night.

DirkAB
07-19-2006, 11:51 AM
He wasn't past, but he was getting there. He'd been in the League for eight season's at that point. Wasn't the contract for seven years? You telling me your comfortable paying a 6-10, 250 pound big upwards of 12 to 20 million in his 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th years in the League?

That's why it was a bad contract. For those first three years, had the injury (which he had a history of before that contract extension) not occured, maybe things would be viewed differently, but those final four years are killers.

It's on thing for a player coming off his initial contract. Maybe even a shorter second contract, but for almost a 10-year vet? seven years, 100 million+?

Damn... Yes, it's definately up their with Houston and Grant.

If he never went down witht that knee injury, then how is his contract viewed? You can't compare Webber to Houston and Grant, he was a franchise player, neither of them ever were. Even all gimped up Webber is still a 20/10 player, and there isn't that many of those in the league. I just don't understand why you would say that it is a worse contract than Penny or Grant Hill, he was still in his prime when he signed that contract, and he rebounded from his injury better. You have no idea how long Webber's prime would have lasted w/o that injury, hell he would probably still be in it.

mabber
07-19-2006, 12:04 PM
Erick Dampier. He is the most overpaid bag of crap ever....Dallas payed 73 million for about 6 fouls a night.

Yeah, he's overpaid but the Spurs would be doing cartwheels if they had him right now (at a reasonable price) :lol

awmyplace
07-19-2006, 12:39 PM
the most overpaid player is the fatass who made this thread

awmyplace
07-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Yeah, he's overpaid but the Spurs would be doing cartwheels if they had him right now (at a reasonable price) :lol

pache100
07-19-2006, 01:16 PM

Doubtful. We don't need no stinkin' thugs down here. :rolleyes

mardigan
07-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Jerome James, Peja, Jerome James, Rasho, Jerome James, Nazr, Jerome James, Darius Miles, Jerom.......seriously, I could do this all day

awmyplace
07-19-2006, 02:45 PM

Exactly!

Islymore
07-19-2006, 04:32 PM

While Damp is overpaid... WAY OVERPAID... How is he a thug?? Explain that one please...

Shoot... Peja... JJ... Quis... uhm... who else? Lemme think..

Edit: I forgot who I voted for! (Stephon)

mardigan
07-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Yeah I dont even think the players listed to vote for are the most overpayed, did I mention Jerome James?

Quadzilla99
07-19-2006, 04:53 PM
I'd go with Theo Ratliff. Hands down. Those numbers are pretty amazing.

mardigan
07-19-2006, 04:58 PM
What about Dalembert? He makes like 10 mill for every block he gets

Don Nelson
07-20-2006, 12:25 AM
Dirk is not overpaid.

pache100
07-20-2006, 09:51 AM
While Damp is overpaid... WAY OVERPAID... How is he a thug?? Explain that one please...

Are you for real? Did you watch the playoffs this year? He beat the crap out of everyone he got close to. There were numerous pictures. He has a reputation for rough play.

mabber
07-20-2006, 10:26 AM
Are you for real? Did you watch the playoffs this year? He beat the crap out of everyone he got close to. There were numerous pictures. He has a reputation for rough play.

While I almost wish Damp had a reputation for rough play it's not even close to being the case. He's definitely tougher than our last center (Bradley...who isn't? :lol ) but the only reputation Damp has is that he is tough to motivate night in and night out. He's a contract year guy. I'd love if he were a bit of a thug but he ain't. I've watched every game he's played with the Mavs and I'm not real sure what you've been watching. He'll give a hard foul from time to time but that's not being a thug.

pache100
07-20-2006, 11:06 AM
While I almost wish Damp had a reputation for rough play it's not even close to being the case. He's definitely tougher than our last center (Bradley...who isn't? :lol ) but the only reputation Damp has is that he is tough to motivate night in and night out.

You know what his reputation is in dallas. You don't know what everyone else in the country thinks about him. I'll watch any NBA game I can find. I agree with you about Bradley.

I'd love if he were a bit of a thug but he ain't.

Pictures don't lie.

G0D
07-20-2006, 11:55 AM
If he never went down witht that knee injury, then how is his contract viewed? You can't compare Webber to Houston and Grant, he was a franchise player, neither of them ever were. Even all gimped up Webber is still a 20/10 player, and there isn't that many of those in the league. I just don't understand why you would say that it is a worse contract than Penny or Grant Hill, he was still in his prime when he signed that contract, and he rebounded from his injury better. You have no idea how long Webber's prime would have lasted w/o that injury, hell he would probably still be in it.

"And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever."

-Revelations 11:15

Bob Lanier
07-20-2006, 11:58 AM
He beat the crap out of everyone he got close to.
In that case, Tim Duncan's a thug too.

Dampier, like 95%+ of NBA players these days, is incredibly soft.

mabber
07-20-2006, 12:00 PM

I don't think he's soft, but he's closer to soft than being a thug or being too rough.

awmyplace
07-20-2006, 12:06 PM
"And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever."

-Revelations 11:15

You should post that in Political Forum not the Nba Forum.The Political Forum is where you post topics about,politics,news,government,religion,and business.

batman2883
07-20-2006, 12:08 PM
why isnt jerome james on this list?

pache100
07-20-2006, 03:30 PM

Who has Tim Duncan physically abused (i.e., punched in the groin, held onto someone's shorts until they fall down, grabbed by the face with fingers in the nostrils, kicked in the shins, etc.) on the court?

Dampier did all those things in the Spurs/Mavs series. I didn't even list the stuff he did after the Spurs were eliminated.

clambake
07-20-2006, 04:13 PM
Most overpaid player is "thread starter". Sorry to turn on you, Erick.

mabber
07-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Who has Tim Duncan physically abused (i.e., punched in the groin, held onto someone's shorts until they fall down, grabbed by the face with fingers in the nostrils, kicked in the shins, etc.) on the court?

Dampier did all those things in the Spurs/Mavs series. I didn't even list the stuff he did after the Spurs were eliminated.

Who'd Dampier punch in the groin? I must have missed that...I thought that was Terry's exclusive territory :lol Did he do that before or after he pulled their shorts down? Guess I must have been drinking too much during that series as I don't recall Dampier doing any of that. Damn, I would have enjoyed it too.

pache100
07-21-2006, 10:37 AM
Did he do that before or after he pulled their shorts down?

I meant the PLAYER fell down, not the shorts.

mabber
07-21-2006, 10:47 AM
I meant the PLAYER fell down, not the shorts.

I liked the story better when I thought it was the shorts :lol

pache100
07-21-2006, 10:56 AM
I liked the story better when I thought it was the shorts :lol

The Riddler
07-21-2006, 10:59 AM
Who'd Dampier punch in the groin? I must have missed that...

wait, im kinda confused as well.

i thought Dirk was the only one who could touch the balls :huh