PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs' Mahinmi showing potential

Solid D
07-18-2006, 11:51 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA071906.3C.BKNspurs.mahinmi.19a488e.html

Spurs' Mahinmi showing potential

Web Posted: 07/18/2006 11:32 PM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

SALT LAKE CITY — Through four games at the Rocky Mountain Revue, Ian Mahinmi has shown the type of potential that made the Spurs gamble a first-round draft pick on him a year ago.

His next goal is to show some muscle.

Mahinmi had his most disappointing game in the summer league Tuesday, committing eight fouls and five turnovers in 17 minutes. Considering Mahinmi is only 19 and has never faced NBA-type competition, Spurs officials have been fairly pleased with his performance the past week.

But they also acknowledge he's going to have to get stronger.

"For a 19-year-old, he has a confidence and presence I didn't expect," said Spurs assistant coach Mike Budenholzer, who has been guiding the summer-league team. "He's been a pleasant surprise. But he's going to have to learn to play without fouling."

The Spurs drafted Mahinmi, a 6-foot-10 forward/center from France, with the 28th pick in 2005, viewing him as a two- to three-year project. He is quick and athletic but is listed as weighing only 210 pounds.

The second-youngest player at the Rocky Mountain Revue, Mahinmi impressed coaches in practice before the league started. In his first game against Dallas, he collected seven fouls in 23 minutes — players aren't disqualified until their eighth foul — but still had a defensive presence. He followed with a 13-point, eight-rebound, two-block performance against Seattle.

Mahinmi was the best player on the floor for the first two quarters of Monday's loss to Atlanta, totaling 14 points and seven rebounds in just 13 minutes. He opened the game with a 15-foot jump shot, used his quickness to draw fouls from Hawks defenders, cut to the basket well and aggressively tried to establish position inside.

The second half, however, was a different story. Hawks rookie forward Shelden Williams repeatedly outmuscled him for rebounding position. Mahinmi resorted to holding or pushing off and picked up five fouls in nine minutes.

Tuesday brought more of the same. With Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and general manager R.C. Buford again watching from the stands, Mahinmi became frustrated trying to battle Philadelphia's 265-pound forward, Harold Jamison. In one 30-second sequence, Mahinmi picked up an offensive foul trying to clear space under the basket then drew another foul trying to protect the rim on the other end.

Mahinmi finished with two points and five rebounds before fouling out in the third quarter of the 87-61 loss.

Most summer-league games are filled with fouls, in part, because the league uses them to train younger referees. But Mahinmi also is going to have to become stronger to keep from getting pushed around.

"It's a big change," said Mahinmi, who likely will return to France for at least one more season. "(The players) are more fast, more athletic. I had some cool games, but I'm still going to have to work hard."

Notable: Spurs officials don't have a good feel for whether Denver and New York will match their offers to centers Francisco Elson and Jackie Butler. The Nuggets, who needed a shooting guard, saved some money by acquiring J.R. Smith from Chicago, though they still appear interested in re-signing forward Reggie Evans.

Both teams have until Thursday to match the Spurs' offer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

SequSpur
07-18-2006, 11:57 PM
ian aint ever going to make it

El_Mago
07-19-2006, 12:00 AM
He should learn a lot more in Pau this coming season.

The competition is a lot better, and I'm sure the Spurs have already set a weight program for him.

Solid D
07-19-2006, 12:03 AM
though they still appear interested in re-signing forward Reggie Evans.

Both teams have until Thursday to match the Spurs' offer.

The seldom used timvp double-whammy move. Let Elson go and sign Reggie Evans. :smokin

Please_dont_ban_me
07-19-2006, 12:22 AM
8 fouls? :lol

I'm guessing you can't foul out in Summer League games.

Mr. Body
07-19-2006, 12:24 AM
— players aren't disqualified until their eighth foul —

From above article.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-19-2006, 12:25 AM
From above article.

Look at me, Mr. "I read the whole article". :elephant

timvp
07-19-2006, 12:28 AM
Johan Petro averaged over 5 fouls a game in 11 minutes per game last year in the Rocky Mountain Revue. I'm guessing that the rules from the French League to this summer league don't get lost in translation.

That said, I'd rather Mahinmi foul too much at this point than be looked at as a soft player.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-19-2006, 12:30 AM
Johan Petro averaged over 5 fouls a game in 11 minutes per game last year in the Rocky Mountain Revue. I'm guessing that the rules from the French League to this summer league don't get lost in translation.

That said, I'd rather Mahinmi foul too much at this point than be looked at as a soft player.

Unless he's fouling too much because he is a soft player.

Meaning he can't hold his ground, and ends up reaching/hacking...like the article says.

T Park
07-19-2006, 01:28 AM
:lol

who knows maybe he could be the next Ben Gordon like Aldridge.

ChumpDumper
07-19-2006, 02:27 AM
RE: the fouls.

Eight fouls gets you disqualified?

That must be an RMR rule, because I distinctly remember Sebastian Telfair getting 10 fouls in Vegas this summer.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-19-2006, 02:28 AM
:lol

who knows maybe he could be the next Ben Gordon like Aldridge.

If that's in reference to me, you're misinformed.

I never compared Ben Gordon to Aldridge. Ever.

Russ
07-19-2006, 04:22 AM
Trivia time -- Who is the only player among the summer league leaders in scoring, rebounding, steals and blocks?

http://www.nba.com/media/jazz/rmr06leaders_day4.pdf

(too bad they don't list the leaders in fouls and turnovers)

Doc Jerome
07-19-2006, 04:38 AM
Wow. :fro

TDMVPDPOY
07-19-2006, 08:11 AM
the refclown who gave him 8 fouls sure is worst then the clown who couldnt count 3 yellow cards for that croatian dude.

Kori Ellis
07-19-2006, 08:20 AM
If that's in reference to me, you're misinformed.

I never compared Ben Gordon to Aldridge. Ever.

It was Rudy Gay you compared to Ben Gordon.

timvp
07-19-2006, 08:20 AM

Even worse.

:drunk

Please_dont_ban_me
07-19-2006, 08:21 AM

This is true.

Walton Buys Off Me
07-19-2006, 09:36 AM
Give the guy a break- he's 19, it's his first North American taste of basketball and all things considered, he's played pretty well.

Two years from now, he will be our starting center.

picnroll
07-19-2006, 09:45 AM
Now that teams know to use muscle on him it may be hard for Mahinmi to hve more games with good numbers. I've always heard that weight training isn't a big part of Euro player preparation. I wonder if Ian's been doing much lifting to date.

leemajors
07-19-2006, 10:06 AM
Now that teams know to use muscle on him it may be hard for Mahinmi to hve more games with good numbers. I've always heard that weight training isn't a big part of Euro player preparation. I wonder if Ian's been doing much lifting to date.

i'd be surprised if the spurs haven't taken steps towards or prodded him into weight training.

MoSpur
07-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Give the guy a break- he's 19, it's his first North American taste of basketball and all things considered, he's played pretty well.

Two years from now, he will be our starting center.

Couldn't agree more. I played with some 19 yr olds who are taller, but I bullied them because of them being so skinny.

T Park
07-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Bring the kid over now.

Have him practice against Duncan, and do the weight room thing here in SA.

MoSpur
07-19-2006, 10:29 AM
I think 10 to 15lbs should be fine.

Bruno
07-19-2006, 11:06 AM
I've always heard that weight training isn't a big part of Euro player preparation. I wonder if Ian's been doing much lifting to date.

Extract from a Mahinmi interview made for a french magazine in December 2005 :

You follow too a specific muscular strengthening program ?

I do for sure more weight training tham my teammates. It's logical because I'm young and I need to get more muscles. Howeve, I haven't a specific program. I use specific methods send by Spurs and I mix them with Le Havre's methods. I try to do a good mix with the help of Le Havre's physical coach.

texasqb2
07-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Extract from a Mahinmi interview made for a french magazine in December 2005 :

You follow too a specific muscular strengthening program ?

I do for sure more weight training tham my teammates. It's logical because I'm young and I need to get more muscles. Howeve, I haven't a specific program. I use specific methods send by Spurs and I mix them with Le Havre's methods. I try to do a good mix with the help of Le Havre's physical coach.

well if he wants to make it in the NBA, he better just do what the spurs tell him

benjirh
07-19-2006, 11:38 AM
well if he wants to make it in the NBA, he better just do what the spurs tell him

So you want him to do less than he is doing now? I doubt the other instruction he is getting is bad, so why should he have to stop it?

Bruno
07-19-2006, 11:44 AM

Please get a clue before writting BS like that.

Mahinmi play competitions in europe. You can't follow a specific program if you play a competition.

Spurologist
07-19-2006, 11:45 AM
Bring the kid over now.

Have him practice against Duncan, and do the weight room thing here in SA.

I'm down with that. Much like drafting tp and signing him was risk, it was done out of necessity. I think the same can be said for Ian. Put him up next to and against TD in practice and let him get used playing against nba quality players.

He could be the second coming of Udonis. The reverse can be true to the weight issues. Haslem was over-weight in Florida and was over looked in the nba draft. Ian showed potential but he lack bulk inside and "expert" scouts belief that euros are soft probably negated any chance of him being picked higher in the draft or noticed earlier.

The spurs took a chance on him, picking him late in the draft. I think it's time the spurs bring him in. Playing with and against nba talent can be what can hone his skills in. Again that was likewise with Haslem. He's not as raw as what I thought as far as his skill set from what I have read. Unleash him and let the rise of Ian begin.

<insert there> Ian >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> <Spurs roster 06-07>

Duff McCartney
07-19-2006, 11:46 AM
He ought to just spend a few months around San Antonio. Kid will gain 20 pounds easily.

Bruno
07-19-2006, 11:53 AM
I'm down with that. Much like drafting tp and signing him was risk, it was done out of necessity. I think the same can be said for Ian. Put him up next to and against TD in practice and let him get used playing against nba quality players.

NBA teams don't pratice a lot and Mahinmi won't play with Spurs because he isn't good enough for the moment.

He could be the second coming of Udonis. The reverse can be true to the weight issues. Haslem was over-weight in Florida and was over looked in the nba draft. Ian showed potential but he lack bulk inside and "expert" scouts belief that euros are soft probably negated any chance of him being picked higher in the draft or noticed earlier.

And Haslem spend a year in France before signing with a nba team. He was slimmer when he signed with Heat.

Mahinmi isn't ready to play in nba. One year in europe is the best thing to do for him.

MajorMike
07-19-2006, 12:25 PM
He ought to just spend a few months around San Antonio. Kid will gain 20 pounds easily.

Hahahaha.

T Park
07-19-2006, 12:29 PM
One year in europe is the best thing to do for him

bullshit

stop wasting Duncan's and this kid's career and start putting him with the best.

Messing around with the stiff french leagues is a waste of time.

Bruno
07-19-2006, 12:37 PM
bullshit

stop wasting Duncan's and this kid's career and start putting him with the best.

Messing around with the stiff french leagues is a waste of time.

Bullshit :

1) Mahinmi isn't nba ready. It's pointless to sign a player if he can't help your team. Mahinmi won't help Duncan next year. Playing no nba ready players with Duncan is the best way to waste Duncan's carreer.

2) French league isn't that bad and Mahinmi will play the euroleague next year and that's the best competition in the world behind the nba.

coachmac87
07-19-2006, 12:37 PM
leaving him over there would be doing no good...hes already dominated the euro league...hes tryin to be an nba player now..get in the nba..i would rather have him take oberto spot!!!

Mr. Body
07-19-2006, 12:38 PM
If you pull Mahinmi too earlier, you risk him never developing things like a jump shot. It's much smarter to let him develop getting paid by another team.

Bruno
07-19-2006, 12:43 PM
hes already dominated the euro league...

No, you're wrong on that.

Doug Collins
07-19-2006, 12:45 PM
leaving him over there would be doing no good...hes already dominated the euro league...hes tryin to be an nba player now..get in the nba..i would rather have him take oberto spot!!!

Really? When? You know that euroleague is a completely different thing from the french league. Ian hasnt played in euroleague yet and he wasnt dominating the french league. Im cool with bringing the kid over and putting him in the d-league, but the euroleague is about 100 times better competition than d-league, so why not leave him there and see what he does. No way Ian comes here and does anything at the nba level yet. He lacks the body, skills, and basketball IQ. He's only 19 give him some freakin time.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-19-2006, 01:08 PM
Isn't he 19?

Stick him in the D-league.

sa_butta
07-19-2006, 01:09 PM
Isn't he 19?

Stick him in the D-league.Would we still hold rights to him if he played in the D-league?

ChumpDumper
07-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Would we still hold rights to him if he played in the D-league?Yes.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Would we still hold rights to him if he played in the D-league?

You're asking the wrong person, but I believe so.

Don't D-league players get "called up" throughout the season to there teams?

ChumpDumper
07-19-2006, 01:14 PM
The Spurs could send him to Austin up to three times each season for his first two seasons.

Quadzilla99
07-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Tim should be able to coach a big guy better than almost anybody. He's the best post player in the league despite not having much better than average athleticism. I've always wondered what some of these freak athletes in the league could do if they knew how to play the game like Tim or what Tim could do if he had some of their athleticism. Whether he wants to take the time to really work with a young player when he has all the team, travel, and family commitments is another question.

Spurs Dynasty 21
07-19-2006, 01:20 PM
I really hope he comes this year

Spurologist
07-19-2006, 03:34 PM
NBA teams don't pratice a lot and Mahinmi won't play with Spurs because he isn't good enough for the moment.

And Haslem spend a year in France before signing with a nba team. He was slimmer when he signed with Heat.

Mahinmi isn't ready to play in nba. One year in europe is the best thing to do for him.

So you are supposedly a great judge for talent or are speaking of your opinion of Ian.

I guess since Iverson starting talkin bout PRACTICE, nba teams don't do it anymore huh. The odds are against him to play with the spurs this season but I would like him to come in this season. Je m'en fous about everything else

Bruno
07-19-2006, 03:46 PM
So you are supposedly a great judge for talent or are speaking of your opinion of Ian.

It's not about being a great judge for talent but there are a lot of hints that shows that Mahinmi isn't nba ready.

I guess since Iverson starting talkin bout PRACTICE, nba teams don't do it anymore huh.

NBA teams practice very few. You can't practice a lot when you play 82 games in 6 months. Even during training camp, Spurs practice only 1 time a day while european teams practices 2 times a day.

The odds are against him to play with the spurs this season but I would like him to come in this season. Je m'en fous about everything else

Everybody is free to have his own POV. :)

Doc Jerome
07-19-2006, 03:54 PM
There will be up and down games for all rookies in the league. The difference is going to be in those that can grasp team concepts and make the adjustment to the tempo of the NBA game in general. This adjustment will come quickly for some and not so quickly for others; however, Mahinmi seems to be a player that will adjust quickly. The trick will be to get him the time on the floor in an NBA game, not a euroleague game. He can put on an extra 10 pounds of muscle realistically by year's end.

Bring the kid in and start his NBA CAREER now. All this kid glove shit is a waste of time. Aldridge, and Thomas will be getting valued experience while, if left to some, Ian will be learning to be an effective euroleague player.

Spurs FO should have some balls and put him on the roster. He is as raw as everything else Spurs have, considering. But, stay tuned. :fro

Mr. Body
07-19-2006, 03:55 PM
I wonder if the FO has seen enough of Mahinmi and has already made their decision, or if he was never coming over, or if the last couple RMR games matter. Likely Elson coming or not is a big factor.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Given that the Spurs tried to sign every available center under the sun this offseason I'd say that they already made up their mind about bringing him over. All indications are that he's still not physically cut out for the NBA game. If they bring him over this year by the All-Star break people will be pissing and moaning that he's soft because he'll get pushed around too easily. What experience is he going to gain when if he winds up on the bench like past centers who couldn't help with the rebounding?

Doc Jerome
07-19-2006, 04:05 PM
He's had 1 bad game. In the NBA it's allowed, just not in the playoffs. Hopefully they have seen enough of him to make the call. :fro

Kori Ellis
07-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Isn't he 19?

Stick him in the D-league.

If you stick him in the DLeague, you still have to pay him NBA Salary and he takes up a space on the Spurs roster. That's why I don't think they'll bring him over and do that. I don't think they want to pay him NBA salary til he's ready.

Doc Jerome
07-19-2006, 04:07 PM
You don't have to be a big fat guy to rebound. You don't even have to be the strongest guy. This guy has a knack for the ball (rebounds).

Extra Stout
07-19-2006, 04:14 PM
When Mahmini hits age 21 or so, he'll start bulking up rather quickly. Let him spend time developing his basketball skills now. It would be a stupid waste of a top prospect to bring him over early as a stopgap frontline solution.

This kid will be the starting center for the Spurs for a long time.