PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: U.S. team embraces Bowen's strengths

Solid D
07-18-2006, 11:52 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA071906.1C.BKNspurs.bowen.1a199c7.html

U.S. team embraces Bowen's strengths

Web Posted: 07/18/2006 11:40 PM CDT
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

Spurs forward Bruce Bowen, a 10-year veteran who has not been close to an NBA All-Star roster, headed to Las Vegas on Tuesday to begin a quest to represent the United States in the 2006 FIBA World Championships.

There can't be clearer indication of the different approach USA Basketball, the sport's national governing body, has taken to rebuilding its program than Bowen's inclusion in the group competing for spots on Team USA.

Bowen is among 24 players chosen to form the core group from which both this summer's World Championship team and the 2008 Olympic team will be chosen. With the World Championships beginning in Japan on Aug. 19, Team USA begins a weeklong training camp at Nevada-Las Vegas this morning.

Fifteen players will be selected after the first week to go to Asia. They will re-convene in Las Vegas on July 31 for more training and an exhibition game against Puerto Rico on Aug. 3. The squad then will train and play exhibitions in China and Korea before a 12-man squad is picked for the World Championships.

After finishing sixth in the 2002 World Championships and taking the bronze medal in the 2004 Olympics, the "Dream Team" concept has been scrapped for a team-oriented approach that allows a role player like Bowen, runner-up in voting for 2005-06 Defensive Player of the Year, to be included in the core group.

USA Basketball picked Phoenix Suns president Jerry Colangelo to oversee construction of both the 2006 World Championship and 2008 Olympic teams. Colangelo's ideas including putting together the 24-player core and getting three-year commitments from all invitees. He also selected Duke's Mike Krzyzewski, rather than an NBA coach, to coach the team.

The group still includes enough stars to be called a Dream Team. Cleveland's LeBron James, Miami's Dwyane Wade and the Lakers' Kobe Bryant are on Team USA, as are All-Stars Gilbert Arenas of Washington, Chauncey Billups of Detroit, Elton Brand of the Clippers, Shawn Marion and Amare Stoudemire of Phoenix and Paul Pierce of Boston. But there is greater emphasis on versatility, team play, defense and intangible factors.

"We said, from the get-go, we were not picking an All-Star team, that we were going to put together a group of players that represent what a real team is made of," Colangelo said. "So the composition would have a lot of ingredients: certainly scorers, certainly versatility in athletes, size, shooters that are necessary in the international game, and role players.

"You need people who are prepared to step in at any moment and give you whatever you are looking for. Certainly, someone like Bruce Bowen and (Houston's) Shane Battier are players who come to mind."

Bowen is confident he will get a fair shot to make the team that heads to Asia. He has spent the past month getting in what he said is the best mid-summer shape of his life. He worked on his shot with Spurs assistant coach Bret Brown and participated last week in five-on-five scrimmages with members of the Spurs' summer-league team before that squad headed for the Rocky Mountain Revue.

"I understand that my bread is buttered because I'm a good defender," Bowen said. "I don't go into the camp saying, 'All right, Coach K, let me show you what I can do.' They already have their thoughts for who is going to do this, this and that. But here's Bruce, and if he knocks down his shots, that's what we want him to do. That's the thing I really worked on more than anything: When I get the shot, knock it down and keep on moving."

Krzyzewski said his emphasis, from the first practice, would be on defense, which ought to enhance Bowen's chances.

"This group has been challenged to restore American basketball to its rightful spot in the world," Krzyzewski said. "You do that by playing all facets of the game to the highest level and also handling yourself in an exemplary manner off the court. We all know that's what's expected of us, and it's my responsibility to make sure that happens."

Several players picked for the core group are injured and unable to participate in this week's camp — Bryant, Pierce and recently drafted J.J. Redick of Orlando. Others have family obligations, including Billups, Milwaukee's Michael Redd and the Lakers' Lamar Odom.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

Mavs_man_41
07-19-2006, 12:11 AM
Shit they need more solid defensive players besides bowen if they want to win.

Budkin
07-19-2006, 12:26 AM
Man I can't wait for the World Championships. It's so much more exciting now that we are no longer the dominant force in basketball.

Behrooz24
07-19-2006, 01:03 AM
Man I can't wait for the World Championships. It's so much more exciting now that we are no longer the dominant force in basketball.

Werd my nigga, world cup didn't do anything for me. BBall is a whole different story. This is my 'world cup'.

DaSpurs#1
07-19-2006, 02:33 AM
is the FIBA World Championship 2006 televised??? the World Cup was so why not this? oh and what about Timmy? is he gunna try out? (he is considered team USA right?) :angel

Taking it to the Hole
07-19-2006, 09:05 AM
I think I remember Tim saying something after the last Olympics that "he didn't really want to be on another Olympic team".

SpursWillOwn
07-19-2006, 09:17 AM
Tim would not be in Team USA he opted out just like Garnett and shaq

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-19-2006, 10:58 AM
He said quote "FIBA sucks" unquote.

Spurologist
07-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Shit they need more solid defensive players besides bowen if they want to win.

Battier, Billups, Oden, Henrich, Marion and the weak side defender extrodinaires

James, Bosh, Stoudemire, Howard

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-19-2006, 12:06 PM
Bowen could be a force on this team. His defense will be his ticket, obviously, but with the shorter international 3-point line he could end up being a fairly potent scoring option as well.

angel_luv
07-19-2006, 12:11 PM
Bowen is awesome. Team USA is crazy if they don't take him along.

ObiwanGinobili
07-19-2006, 12:18 PM
man i love me some bruce bowen.