PDA

View Full Version : Pistons news articles 7/19

Pistons < Spurs
07-19-2006, 07:28 AM
Saunders to do things his way

July 19, 2006
BY KRISTA JAHNKE
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Last year, coach Flip Saunders tried not to tinker too much with a winning equation. This season, he plans to speak up a bit more.

That means more plays, more zone defense and more direction.

Saunders said he still has half of his mammoth playbook to introduce to his team, and new center Nazr Mohammed and guard Flip Murray will allow him to do that.

"There's another half we'll be able to utilize," Saunders said, "because of the players we have and being able to play more of a multi-dimensional offense."

Saunders also said he expects to play more zone defense next year, a concept that met resistance in the locker room last season.

"When we played Miami, our guys (complained) about the zone. But when we played zone, that's the one time we had the ability to stop them." Saunders said. "But you have to buy into what you're doing. I have a picture that has a dinosaur that says, 'Adapt or Die.' We've got to adapt."

Team president Joe Dumars and Saunders both said that the team's early success last season led to big expectations and more pressure. By the end of the season, the players were exhausted.

But those players must become more willing to rest this time around, Saunders said.

"Try taking Chauncey (Billups) out at the end of a close game," Saunders said. "He'll play 42 minutes. He'll say, 'No, I'm going to play the entire fourth quarter.' " We'll address that from the beginning. Say, 'We've got to sit back sometimes.' "

HUNTER, DUPE SIGN: Away from the flashbulbs of the Mohammed/Murray news conference, two more familiar faces quietly rejoined the Pistons' family Tuesday. The team officially announced that it re-signed guard Lindsey Hunter and forward Ronald Dupree, for two seasons apiece.

With the four signings, the Pistons' major work this off-season is done. Dumars said that unless someone calls and offers him something he can't refuse, he's happy with the team he has.

DELFINO DRAMA: Forward Carlos Delfino made comments in a Spanish-language publication last week that carried unhappy undertones, although exact translations can be spotty.

But Dumars said Delfino indicated at the end of the season that he wants to be in Detroit.

"If he thinks he should be somewhere else," Dumars said, "I'll call you guys and say, 'We made a trade.' It's simple. There's no gray area for me."

DARKO REDUX: Even though the Pistons couldn't convince Ben Wallace to stay, they're still glad they said good-bye to Darko Milicic.

"Absolutely," said Dumars when asked if he would still make the deal. "When we made the Darko trade, we said, 'Look, it's not happening here in Detroit for him.' He wasn't fitting. And it's all about fit. It had gotten to the point where it was just a bad fit for Darko here, so we moved the kid. ... He had gotten to a point where he needed new scenery."

NAME GAME: For the record, Saunders has never had to deal with another Flip in the workplace.

"I don't know what we're going to do," Saunders said. "We'll have to figure something out. At least if they're yelling 'Flip,' I won't know if they're yelling at me or him."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060719/SPORTS03/607190368/1051

Dumars: Pistons' defense won't rest

Mohammed, Murray, new pieces to puzzle, will shore up the team on both ends of the court.

Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

AUBURN HILLS -- As he was introducing two new pieces to the Pistons' puzzle Tuesday -- center Nazr Mohammed and guard Flip Murray -- president Joe Dumars took time to clear up a couple misperceptions.

He's heard talk that the Pistons, without Ben Wallace, were no longer going to be a great defensive team.

"It's such a misnomer about who we are," he said. "If you look at the year before last and last year, we gave up almost the exact same amount of points (90.2 in 2005-06, 89.5 in 2004-05). We didn't have a big dropoff. What I am saying is, you have to have versatility.

"Both of these guys we're adding here are good defensive players, but they are also very good offensive players. We're not getting away from defense, but you do have to be versatile."

Coach Flip Saunders took that point a step further.

"We have a chance to be a better defensive team," he said. "I know that sounds crazy. But the No. 1 thing you have to be able to do is stop perimeter penetration and I am excited about (Murray's) ability to defend on the perimeter. When he came into the league, he was known as a defensive player."

Dumars also heard talk that the Pistons, by not re-signing Wallace, were lowering expectations for the 2006-07 season.

"Our goals are the same," he said. "I am not going to sit up here and say we're playing for second place. We brought these two guys in here to help us win a championship.

"I'll tell you what, when the other guys come back for training camp, make sure you ask them if they think our goals have changed. Those guys will have something to say about that because that's selling them short."

The news conference Tuesday essentially concludes the Pistons' summer shopping.

Mohammed signed a four-year contract guaranteed for $23.3 million with a player option for a fifth year that would take it up over $30 million. He likely will replace Wallace at center.

"None whatsoever," Mohammed said when asked if he felt any trepidation about replacing a player as iconic as Wallace was in Detroit. "Now that I've got a couple of years under my belt, people know who I am and what to expect -- even though I think I am better than some people may think. But I had no hesitation. Ben is a great player. He did what he did and he was great for this organization.

"I am a different player. I can do some of the things he did, but I can also do things he didn't do."

Mohammed will provide more of an inside threat offensively, and Saunders and Dumars said his defensive play was underrated.

"We had to have a better inside presence offensively," Saunders said. "It's a proven fact that if you want to beat Miami, you have to have a center who can score against Shaq (O'Neal). If you don't, what happens is, Shaq gets to rest so much on defense that he's that much better on offense. No matter if Ben was here or not, we were going to have to address that."

Mohammed, who is close friends with fellow Kentucky alum Tayshaun Prince, said he was excited about fitting in with the Pistons' four established starters.

Murray, who signed a two-year deal worth $3.5 million, is expected to be the first perimeter player off the bench and provide the consistent scoring punch the Pistons lacked off the bench last season.

"The minute we got beat in Miami, we walked into the locker room and Joe was there and we said right then, we've got to get better," Saunders said. "One of the areas we needed to get better was on the perimeter, our ability to get somebody to the hole and our ability to defend on the perimeter. Those are two things (Murray) can do."

Murray has been somewhat of an enigma his first three seasons. When he has gotten the chance to start or play big minutes, he has produced. But when he's been asked to come off the bench in spot minutes, like he did against the Pistons during the playoffs when he shot 27 percent, he's struggled.

"It's not about him starting or coming off the bench, it's about how he was utilized," Saunders said. "As a starter, he was the focus of the offense. Coming off the bench, he's not the go-to guy and plays aren't called for him. That's why his numbers are so different."

With the Pistons, Murray's role is clear -- provide instant offense off the bench.

"Once it was official that Detroit had interest in me, it wasn't a choice any more for me," he said. "I was in. This is somewhere I've always wanted to be. I respect everything here. It's all about winning and that's what I am looking forward to."

Murray will have to play both guard positions and is looking forward to learning behind Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton.

The Pistons also made official the signings of small forward Ronald Dupree (two years, $1.5 million) and guard Lindsey Hunter (two years, $4.5 million).

"This isn't like building a fantasy league team," Dumars said. "There's more to it than just looking at statistics. For me, it's always been about finding guys who fit, and these guys, because of the type of people they are and the type of players they are, fit perfectly. I think it's going to be a seamless transition for these guys."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060719/SPORTS0102/607190322/1127

Pistons confident they'll be contenders with newcomers
Wednesday, July 19, 2006
By A. Sherrod Blakely

AUBURN HILLS -- Even without former team leader Ben Wallace, the Detroit Pistons believe they're still an NBA title contender.

On Tuesday, a couple of reasons for the team's optimism were at The Palace as the Pistons introduced two of their free-agent signings, center Nazr Mohammed and guard Ronald "Flip" Murray.

Wallace, a four-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year, is now with the Chicago Bulls after he signed a four-year contract worth $60 million last week.

With his departure, the Pistons aren't considered by many to be the title contenders they have been.

However, Pistons officials were emphatic that the team's goals are the same as they have been in recent years.

"We're not going to sit here and say we're playing for second place," said Joe Dumars, Detroit's president of basketball operations. "We've not done that over the past five years or so, and I'm certainly not going to sit here today and do that.

"We're putting this team together and bringing in guys like Nazr and Flip to win a championship. You're going to see our focus is going to be the same. Nobody's goals have changed. A few of the parts have changed, but that doesn't change your overall goal."

The biggest change will be at center with Mohammed replacing Wallace.

Mohammed understands comparisons to Wallace are inevitable, but that won't have an impact on his approach to the game.

"I can't try and be anyone but myself," Mohammed said. "Come in, work hard and do the things I'm capable of doing. Throughout my career, I've been successful at that."

Pistons coach Flip Saunders believes Mohammed will fit in well with what the Pistons need now from their starting center.

"Nazr is going to give us something we lacked last year, our ability to score in the post," Saunders said. "I believe we'll be able to utilize his ability offensively around the post. He's one of the better offensive rebounders around the league. He's going to fit right in."

So is Murray, according to Saunders.

"Flip brings a lot to the table," Saunders said.

Murray's ability to create a shot off the dribble, or penetrate and pass, is one of the reasons the Pistons feel he could be the kind of difference-maker off the bench they haven't had in years at guard.

"I'm excited about being here," said Murray, who will play primarily behind point guard Chauncey Billups.

The Pistons are excited about next season, looking to prove they are still one of the NBA's elite teams without Wallace.

"We're going to be playing to try and win a championship," Dumars said. "Make no doubt about that."

Some fans felt Wallace was disloyal when he turned down Detroit's four-year, $48 million offer to sign with the Bulls. However, Pistons owner Bill Davidson had no problem with Wallace's decision.

"No. Absolutely not!" Davidson said when asked whether he felt Wallace was disloyal. "We're really extremely pleased that Ben got the kind of contract that he got. We know he's happy, his wife is happy and we're happy. It really was a win-win situation, even though it doesn't appear that way."

Davidson also talked about how one of the team's strengths -- a quintet that started an NBA-record 73 consecutive games together -- may have also been a weakness.

"There are pluses and minuses to that, them playing (so many games) together," Davidson said. "I think they all got a little bored with each other is what more or less happened. I think we needed the shakeup."

The Pistons are close to naming Terry Porter as an assistant coach.

Pistons welcome their free agents

Detroit meets Mohammed, Murray

July 19, 2006
BY KRISTA JAHNKE
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Maybe it's just spin. Or maybe the Pistons really believe that they can be better next season than last year's Ben Wallace-led squad that won 64 regular-season games.

Either way, the Pistons had plenty of positive things to say as they introduced their two newest teammates -- center Nazr Mohammed and guard Ronald (Flip) Murray -- at a news conference Tuesday morning.

Team president Joe Dumars and coach Flip Saunders stressed that the free-agent signees are "Piston types," in that they're good people, first and foremost.

But both also bring a blend of offensive and defensive skills that should make the Pistons a more versatile and balanced team in 2006-07.

Even without Wallace, the franchise's expectations remain the same.

"We like our team," Dumars said. "I don't know where we're going to come out, but we really are excited about our team moving forward. We don't expect to take a step back. We expect to come out next year and compete the same way we did this year. Our expectations haven't changed."

Mohammed, a veteran who won an NBA championship with the San Antonio Spurs in 2005, signed a five-year, $30-million deal with the last year being a player option. He said he feels no fear in filling the hole in the starting lineup left by Wallace -- a fan favorite and the team's so-called "heart and soul."

"None whatsoever," he said. "It's not like I don't have a couple of years under my belt. People know who I am, and they know what to expect, even though I feel like I'm a little bit better than what some people think."

Saunders insisted Mohammed will fill in well for Wallace when it comes to rebounding, pointing out that he averaged 14.4 boards per 48 minutes of playing time last year. Mohammed also fills another need with his ability to score in the post.

Mohammed said he watched and waited as Wallace picked between returning to Detroit and moving on to Chicago. Pistons forward Tayshaun Prince, who, like Mohammed, went to Kentucky, even called him on July 1, the first day of the free-agent negotiation period, to say that they'd want him in Detroit if Wallace flew.

When it happened, Mohammed said Detroit became his target destination. And he has already figured out how to deal with any comparisons with Wallace.

Just be himself.

"I'm a different type of player," he said. "I can do some of the things he does, and I can do some things he doesn't do."

In the Spurs' championship year, Mohammed found his niche as a full-time starter on a title contender. But he fell out of favor with coach Gregg Popovich last season and saw his role diminish.

"Last year was tough just because, at the beginning of the year, me and my wife had a new baby boy, and I had to miss a considerable amount of training camp," Mohammed said. "By the time I got back, everything was a little bit different."

But Mohammed is confident that, given another chance as a part of Detroit's star-studded starting lineup, he can flourish.

"I've always been a player that, you give me the minutes, I'll produce," Mohammed said.

Murray, who split last season with Seattle and Cleveland, signed for two years (with the second being a player option). He said he doesn't need to start in order to be a productive contributor. And his numbers support that. Last season, he averaged 13.1 points as a starter and 10.1 as a substitute playing 15 fewer minutes per game.

"Coming here," he said, "it's a good situation where I know what my role is going to be from the beginning of the year."

Dumars said he made the additions with the need for versatility in mind. "You have to have versatile guys," he said. "These two guys are really good defenders. But they happen to be really good offensive players as well. And that's what I'm trying to do, get guys who are more versatile in what they do.

"We're certainly not going to get away from defense. And we're certainly not going to become the Phoenix Suns and just run up and down and score 120 points a game."

Pistons < Spurs
07-19-2006, 07:49 AM
Alot of the articles repeat the same basic message, but a few things did stand out to me.

It sounds like Delfino is going to get his opportunity. Hopefully he takes advantage of it. I still wonder though if there'll be serious minutes to give him. As Prince will get 33-35 minutes per night, that leaves only 13-15 left for Delfino. To put that into perspective, he played nearly 11 minutes last year, and slightly over 15 ( in only 30 games due to injury) the year before. I don't thnk 2 or 3 more minutes is really going to make someone happy who is complaining about playing time. And with the addition of Flip Murray, Delfino should not see any time at SG. Time will tell how well this scenario plays out, but IMO all this talk about Delfino getting his turn is only psuedo legitimate at best.

The one positive is that he at least now he does have a specified role on the team. He IS the backup SF. Before he would play 5 minutes at SF, 3 minutes at SG, and 3 minutes of garbage time. Hopefully now his time on the court will be more productive as his position is more clearly defined.

I also found it interesting the Tayshaun called Nazr on July 1st. I wonder what the players knew about the odds of Ben staying in Detroit. I just don't see Tay making that phone call unless he already saw the writing on the wall.

leemajors
07-19-2006, 08:11 AM
"We have a chance to be a better defensive team," he said. "I know that sounds crazy. But the No. 1 thing you have to be able to do is stop perimeter penetration and I am excited about (Murray's) ability to defend on the perimeter. When he came into the league, he was known as a defensive player."

Mohammed will provide more of an inside threat offensively, and Saunders and Dumars said his defensive play was underrated.

bit of a reach on that second one.

Pistons < Spurs
07-19-2006, 08:40 AM

bit of a reach on that second one.

Yeah, I hear ya. But I do see some positives for our defense.

I don't think we'll be better defensively simply because we have Nazr ... but because we lost Ben.

I also think we will see more personal accountability from the other players defensively. For so long, Rip, Chauncey and Tay could afford to let their man get by them as they knew Big Ben was behind them to help out. They depended and relied too much on him. Which in turn made them less effective. To me this was very glaring this past season. I believe the loss of Ben will make each player better individualy. The focus will be more present in their play.

Nazr will be a much better man defender than we had w/ Ben. Also his size will be nice to see aswell. He easily has 3 or 4 inches on Wallace.

And the addition of Flip Murray, and the supposed dedication and concerted effort to play the bench should greatly help us aswell. I see this team being more like our 2004 squad that had alot of depth. We came at you relentlesly with many different looks. They were very scrappy. Lately it's was simply 6 maybe 7 guys ... whereas now we should have 8 or 9 people to keep the pressure up.

leemajors
07-19-2006, 08:50 AM
i just don't think much of nazr as any kind of defender, but then again i am terribly biased by watching him this last season. i always thought wallace played bigger than he was. nazr's not much for shotblocking.

Pistons < Spurs
07-19-2006, 08:57 AM
i just don't think much of nazr as any kind of defender, but then again i am terribly biased by watching him this last season. i always thought wallace played bigger than he was. nazr's not much for shotblocking.

I agree. Nazr is solid but rarely if ever spectacular. And he still has a tendency to get into foul trouble.

Nazr himself won't make us better defensively. But I beleive the other players no longer having their crutch will be showing the effort we saw 2 or 3 years ago.

ShoogarBear
07-19-2006, 09:21 AM
Sounds like Flip is gearing up to put the same stamp of success on the Pistons that he did with the TWolves. :D

NBA Junkie
07-19-2006, 09:52 AM
I was thinking the same thing.

Flip talks a good game when he speaks of resting his starters in the regular season, but overplays them anyway since he's so big on playing the regular season like it's playoff time (see Garnett and his 41 MPG in the regular season),

Pistons < Spurs
07-19-2006, 11:32 AM
I was thinking the same thing.

Flip talks a good game when he speaks of resting his starters in the regular season, but overplays them anyway since he's so big on playing the regular season like it's playoff time (see Garnett and his 41 MPG in the regular season),

In 02-03' KG played 40.5 minutes per (most in his career)
In 01-02 Duncan played 40.6 minutes per (most in his career)

:lol

I always find the discussion of minutes very interesting. We want and expect our best players to be on the floor as much as possible so that they can contribute. Last year everyone said that Flip overplayed our guys in the regualr season. Yet the starting 5 all played between 34.7 and 36.1 minutes for an average of 35.3. (52 players averaged 35.3 minutes or more this year) Is that too much? I go back and forth on that. I guess you could shave off a minute or 2 for each player, but does that really make that much of a difference?

For a comparisn:

05-06:
35.3 average (Flip)

04-05:
36.3 average (LB)

03-04:
34.4 average (LB)

I think moreso than the number of minutes played, it was the type of minutes played. So often we'd build a nice lead, only to see it disappear in the 4th. Then the starters had to get back in and finish the game in crunch time. How a 64 win team that had a 6.7 point differential finds itslef having to scrap for a win so often is beyond me. If we would learn how to put an opponent down for the count, our starters could finish the game on the bench as opposed to having to gut it out for the final 3 minutes ...

Hopefully this year our bench will be more effective allowing the starters to get a little more rest ... especially at the end of games. But I still expect them to play 34-35 minutes.

I was curious about what others players throughout history have played and found this:

Wilt for his ENTIRE CAREER averaged 45.8 minutes. :wow :wow

B Russel played 42.3 in his career.

The Big "O" was at 42.2

Even more current:

Gary Payton had a 5 year stretch in which he exceeded 40 minutes each year.

Jordan had a 4 year stretch of 39+ (38.3 for his career)

Hakeem had a 4 year stretch of 38.8+

the Mailman saw 9 straight years of 37.7+ (37.2 career)

Even Duncan averaged over 38 minutes per in his first 6 years. (37.9 career)

Bob Lanier
07-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Pistons news articles = :jack :jack :jack :jack :jack

Sounds like Flip is gearing up to put the same stamp of success on the Pistons that he did with the TWolves. :D
:tu

Winnipeg_Spur
07-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Do the Pistons have too much talent to go out in the first round?

ShoogarBear
07-19-2006, 01:54 PM
I've never really advocated the minutes argument, although I think the actual number of minutes can be misleading. It's more about whether you're developing a bench and when you're giving the starters rest.

I was more referring to the fact that the Flipster is talking about his "multi-dimensional offense" and more zone defense. I.e., he's going back to his comfort zones.

exstatic
07-19-2006, 10:53 PM
The only scoring Nazr will do in the post is on putbacks. If you feed him a post entry pass he will either lose it out of bounds, or pumpfake 9 times and get blocked by the opponent's PG. He has a servicable jumper, but that and putbacks are it as far as scoring. He can shoot FTs, but rarely gets trips to the line.

Oh, and as for defense...his listless, lost efforts were what kept him in a platoon with Rasho. He's always in the wrong fucking place. If he's supposed to be patrolling weakside paint, he'll be trying to double on the strong side, won't double hard enough, and the double-ee will drop a bounce pass to Nazr's man for an easly layup or a dunk. He may be less of a liablility in a zone, but then again, a zone gives advantage to the offensive rebounders, since you don't have a "man" to put a body on, and his defensive rebounding is already suspect.