PDA

View Full Version : How about Jamal Maglorie?

SenorSpur
07-19-2006, 11:33 AM
If the Spurs are unable to land one of their two targeted FAs, there is another prospect that can be had via trade - Jamal Magloire.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/41584/20060719/harris_having_difficulty_trying_to_trade_magloire/

Harris Having Difficulty Trying To Trade Magloire
19th July, 2006 - 9:04 am
Journal Sentinel - Larry Harris is finding the market for Jamaal Magloire to be rather soft, as he said on Tuesday that no deals were imminent involving veteran the center.

"I've told Jamaal, 'I'm not going to give you away,' " Harris said. "Not a guy that's 10 (points) and 10 (rebounds) and is a starting center in the NBA. We're actively trying to do some things that make sense for him and for us.

"The future of our franchise is the man to my right (Villanueva) and Andrew Bogut. It's just the way it's going to be. But Jamaal still can be an integral part of what we're going to do."

It's obvious that he doesn't fit into the Bucks future plans. I seem to remember the Spurs being interested at one time here recently. Now that the market appears soft, perhaps they may be able to strike a deal - if the price is right.

His numbers are far and away better than some of the others guys they've looked at so far. Above all else, he's been a productive, starting center in this league for a few years.

Anyone interested?

ChumpDumper
07-19-2006, 11:35 AM
He's not gong to give him away.

Mr. Body
07-19-2006, 11:35 AM
We have to do something, but Magloire probably gets better offers from other teams. I don't see Barry + Obert flipping their skirts.

ducks
07-19-2006, 11:36 AM
sure but before hornets were not thrilled with what spurs offered

Mr. Body
07-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Lorenzon Wright is a much more likely scenario.

JamStone
07-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Sure, the Bucks would love Tony Parker to replace TJ Ford.

:smokin

NBA Junkie
07-19-2006, 11:38 AM
I'm sure the Bucks are gonna want a big man in return. Who do the Spurs have that the Bucks would want?

SenorSpur
07-19-2006, 11:40 AM
I'm sure the Bucks are gonna want a big man in return. Who do the Spurs have that the Bucks would want?

As someone mentioned earlier, I doubt the Bucks would be thrilled with the Spurs offering up any combination that included Oberto as a big man replacement.

SenorSpur
07-19-2006, 11:43 AM
Lorenzon Wright is a much more likely scenario.

Could be. However his numbers aren't as impressive.

05-06 Season
PPG 5.8 | RPG 5.1 | BPG 0.6

Career
PPG 8.8 | RPG 6.9 | BPG 0.7

Mr. Body
07-19-2006, 11:46 AM
Could be. However his numbers aren't as impressive.

05-06 Season
PPG 5.8 | RPG 5.1 | BPG 0.6

Career
PPG 8.8 | RPG 6.9 | BPG 0.7

Of course they're not as impressive, but Wright is much more easily obtained.

Funny, too, since we tried to swap Nazr for him last summer, but the Grizz weren't biting.

Bruno
07-19-2006, 11:47 AM
Magloire isn't worth what Bucks asks for him.
He is fat, slow, a poor defender and his post offense will be useless with Duncan. He is too a one year rental because he has said that he wants a near max contract when his contract will expire next summer.

Mr. Body
07-19-2006, 11:49 AM
Magloire also makes enough this season that we'd have to give up most of our good trade pieces just for a one-year rental.

TDMVPDPOY
07-19-2006, 11:53 AM
i prfer gadz over maggotz

SenorSpur
07-19-2006, 11:57 AM
Magloire isn't worth what Bucks asks for him.
He is fat, slow, a poor defender and his post offense will be useless with Duncan. He is too a one year rental because he has said that he wants a near max contract when his contract will expire next summer.

Then forget that. Let him "rot" up in Milwaukee. :elephant

Mr. Body
07-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Let's just hope we get Butler. Why can't today be tomorrow?

spur219
07-19-2006, 12:09 PM
The Spurs offered Barry and Udrih but pulled back when Magloire failed a physical.

alamo50
07-19-2006, 12:18 PM
The Spurs offered Barry and Udrih but pulled back when Magloire failed a physical.

Where the heck did you read that?

MajorMike
07-19-2006, 12:22 PM
Maglorie has the skills. He was a 2004 All Star. He is young, tall, long, aves 9.5/7.8 for his career. Ship 'em Barry/Fab/Scola's rights. Hell send 'em Beno, too.

Jamaal is solid. I'd take him over any FA C this year except Big Ben. Only other players I would rather have more would be Yao, Kaman or Miller and possibly Ilgauskas.

Mr. Body
07-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Maglorie has the skills. He was a 2004 All Star. He is young, tall, long, aves 9.5/7.8 for his career. Ship 'em Barry/Fab/Scola's rights. Hell send 'em Beno, too.

This is the point I make above. That is way too much to give up for one year of a center who didn't apply himself last year, even if he's above average. You'd give up every single tradeable quantity for that?

Gino20
07-19-2006, 12:50 PM
I just hear to many negative things about this guy. It usually invloves his defense, which is really important in the Spurs system. I think I would have to pass cause i would not want to give up Beno. Its a sign that his past two teams have wanted to get rid of him rather quickly...

SenorSpur
07-19-2006, 12:55 PM
I just hear to many negative things about this guy. It usually invloves his defense, which is really important in the Spurs system. I think I would have to pass cause i would not want to give up Beno. Its a sign that his past two teams have wanted to get rid of him rather quickly...

That being said, I wonder if his defensive laziness could be improved with the type of strict attention and detailed coaching which the Spurs would provide.

MajorMike
07-19-2006, 02:05 PM
This is the point I make above. That is way too much to give up for one year of a center who didn't apply himself last year, even if he's above average. You'd give up every single tradeable quantity for that?

Yes. He's the only player that started and played every game for the Bucks (Bogut is the only other player that played every game). Redd is a ball hog and TJ's 1st option, with Simmons the 2nd. This team sucked mightily. Redd is a cancer. He's a ball hog, no one wants to play with him, and he and Jamaal frequently clashed. His All Star year he was with NO with Baron Davis, whom he got along with great, and they went to the playoffs as the #5-seed; losing to Miami in 7.

He's better than Rasho, Nazr, Butler (now tho I like his potential), Elson, Pryz, Jeffries, Mihm, r any of the other rumored possibles except Kaman.

Would I give up: 1) a guy we've been begging someone to take, 2) an overpaid big guy on the bench who averaged fewer minutes than anyone except Marks (and only 34 total in playoffs), 3) the rights to an unhappy guy that will never be a Spur, and 4) a nice young PG who can't handle playoff pressure and doesn't play at all the end of the season (47 mins total in playoffs)?

Sheer roster numbers say your send 3 of 4. But in every case - answer would be yes.

Ranks #10 in the NBA in Rebounds Per Game(9.5)
Ranks #12 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds(220.0)
Ranks #13 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds Per Game(2.7)
Ranks #9 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds(558.0)
Ranks #14 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per Game(6.8)
Ranks #7 in the NBA in Total Rebounds(778.0)
Ranks #14 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(4.3)
Ranks #4 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(10.9)
Ranks #7 in the NBA in Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(15.1)

yavozerb
07-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Give them Barry+Williams contract+2nd round pick (1 of the 2 spurs have) for Jamal..We still keep beno (cheap back up pg) and keep flexebility of possible signings for next year during the off season!!

Mr. Body
07-19-2006, 02:16 PM
Would I give up: 1) a guy we've been begging someone to take, 2) an overpaid big guy on the bench who averaged fewer minutes than anyone except Marks (and only 34 total in playoffs), 3) the rights to an unhappy guy that will never be a Spur, and 4) a nice young PG who can't handle playoff pressure and doesn't play at all the end of the season (47 mins total in playoffs)?

With all due respect, I can't see trading so many assets for one guy, who isn't that great, has acquired a dubious reputation, and who we will only have for a single year. Especially when we can acquire a Lorenzen Wright who can probably do a similar job for cheaper.

All our trading assets are flawed. That's why they're not flying off the shelves. Oberto hasn't done anything to show he's an NBA player, Barry is slowing down, Scola is expensive, Williams is nothing more than a contract, etc. But these are guys we need later this summer or, more likely, next summer, to acquire younger pieces that are long term fits.

The Spurs think Scola is worth something like a first rounder. They couldn't trade him this year because that, with his buyout, was too expensive, but next year they might use him to move up in the draft. Barry and Oberto will only have one more year left on their contracts, with Oberto cheap enough to swap to a team wanting to make a move but stay beneath the luxury cap. Barry should be gone this summer or during the year, I'd expect, to get a cheaper player than Magloire who we will have more than a single season. Udrih is far too valuable, as our primary back-up point, to throw away into a trade like this.

If you trade all of our assets for one year of Magloire, you ensure we have absolutely nothing to work with next summer.

MajorMike
07-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Udrih is far too valuable, as our primary back-up point, to throw away into a trade like this.

I can't believe you guys keep believeing this. Beno is a bust. He is cheap up until next year. Next year he gets almost a million dollar raise. There is a reason Pop keeps signing vet backups at PG: because Beno sucks under pressure. Sure he can go out and average for a week in December 16 and 7 in mop up minutes against Atlanta and Charlotte and Toronto. When it is crunchtime, no one is more buried on our bench than Beno. If he were so valuable, he wouldn't constantly be dangled as tradebait. Pop isn't going to trade anyone that is going to help him win another Ring. Beno isn't, therefore he's expendable.

With his contract going from 900+k to 1.7+ Mil next year, you will be sitting here same time next year bitching that we have this overpriced backup flop on our roster instead of cute little cheap Beno. Dude needs to go ASAP.