PDA

View Full Version : can we get to the championship with a 3rd rate center?

Tom_Foolery
07-19-2006, 12:30 PM
i don't think so. last year proved we need a center who can defend the paint and rebound consistently. the year before, nazr played very well at the center position and did that for us. the year before, rasho wasn't that player, and the year before that the admiral gave it one last run and played pretty good. i just get the feeling that they're riding way too much on duncan still. he seems to be the only capable defender and rebounder inside. i think we will need good rebounding and defending in the paint during the playoffs and i'm not sure either of the 2 guys we signed to contracts will be able to do that with their experience.

ChumpDumper
07-19-2006, 12:32 PM
We already did.

velik_m
07-19-2006, 12:33 PM
Duncan will play center. Small ball.

reydawg
07-19-2006, 12:36 PM
The Bulls of the 90's don't think it's possible.

Mr. Body
07-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Rasho and Nazr were 2nd rate.

3rd rate? The Bulls did, though Wennington, Perdue, and Luc Longley all performed their roles exceptionally well.

They did with a 2nd rate center, too: Bill Cartwright.

mardigan
07-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Rasho isnt 2nd rate, maybe Nazr and that may even be a stretch. If we get Elson and Butler, I would think that they would be more "2nd rate" duo than Rasho and Nazr were

sa_butta
07-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Dallas did it with virtually no center at all.

Mr. Body
07-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Rasho isnt 2nd rate, maybe Nazr and that may even be a stretch. If we get Elson and Butler, I would think that they would be more "2nd rate" duo than Rasho and Nazr were

Disagree. Both have served long stints as respectable starting centers and no one batted an eye, except for Stephen A. "Rasho Stole My Wife" Smith. Elson and Butler have not been confused with starting caliber centers yet, but at least Butler will become one.

SenorSpur
07-19-2006, 12:58 PM

However Dallas only go so far with their tandem. They fell short when they went up against a "bigger, meaner dog" (Shaq/Zo) at the 5 spot. Of course, the performance of Wade contributed as much to Dallas' demise as anything else too.

mardigan
07-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Just because they have played longer doesnt make them better. Rasho put up the same if not worse numbers than Elson except for blocks, and No hands Nazr only put up mildly better numbers than Elson last year. And you are right about Butler, he will be a good center, but when was the last time we had a young center with potential? I think that makes that duo much better, if we even get them

sa_butta
07-19-2006, 01:07 PM
However Dallas only go so far with their tandem. They fell short when they went up against a "bigger, meaner dog" (Shaq/Zo) at the 5 spot. Of course, the performance of Wade contributed as much to Dallas' demise as anything else too.The thread asks if we can get there not necessarily win it. Besides maybe by midseason we can get a trade for a better Center. Really it doesnt matter who you put on Shaq, that is going to be a tough matchup and all you can do is body him up. I think our big 3 can carry us in and the role players will follow. We have proven leaders, they just need to give the other guys the confidence to beleive they can contribute.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-19-2006, 01:07 PM

3rd rate? The Bulls did, though Wennington, Perdue, and Luc Longley all performed their roles exceptionally well.

Longley, despite his complacency, was 7'2", had a jump shot, could pass, had sure hands, and could block shots. His 12 points, 7 boards and ability to know where to be on offense and defense would have been a step up from what the Spurs had the last two years.

Crappy Longley > Rasho+Nazr

SenorSpur
07-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Personally, I don't think we can win it with a 3rd rate center. Thus far, we've been fortunate to have gotten solid production out of the 5 spot during all thre championship runs.

Since we no longer have an Adminral or even "no hands" Nazr around, we can only hope that Butler (if we're able to obtain him) becomes more than 3rd rate.

As for Elson, he would classify as 3rd rate to me. I'd rather see the Spurs go in a different direction there.

waly.mg
07-19-2006, 01:12 PM
We lost in Overtime the game 7 vs Dallas without a Center

So we can win the Champioship without Duncan as Center

mardigan
07-19-2006, 01:21 PM
Elson last year- 21 min a game, 53% fg, 4.7 reb., 5 points a game, .63 blocks
Nazr-17 min a game, 50% fg, 5 reb a game, 6 points a game, .61 blocks, who knows how many dropped passes
Rasho-19 min a game, 51%fg, 4 rebounds a game, 4.5 points and a block a game, and probably at least one missed layup

So how do these stats make Rasho and Nazr 2nd rate and Elson 3rd

mardigan
07-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Jackie Butler-13 min a game, 3.5 rebounds, 54% fg, 5.3 points, half a block and surprisingly 75 % from the line

Ill take Butler and Elson over Rasho and No hands anyday

Please_dont_ban_me
07-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Fuck small ball.

We came within one point, we're back with essentially the same team. This time Manu won't foul.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-19-2006, 01:32 PM
When the other players in the starting line up are all first rate in their own right, I don't see why the hell they couldn't. With the exception of the Rockets there's not really a team in the west where having lacking a good center will really hurt. The Spurs could start me at center and be in the hunt. Actually...

Mr. Holt, Mr. Buford, if you read this forum I can assure you two things: I have better hands than Nazr, and I will play for the league minimum. Just PM me the contract terms.

phxspurfan
07-19-2006, 01:34 PM
tru that. that foul must have hurt manu bad, with how competitive he is/how much he wanted to win it all again

thispego
07-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Elson last year- 21 min a game, 53% fg, 4.7 reb., 5 points a game, .63 blocks
Nazr-17 min a game, 50% fg, 5 reb a game, 6 points a game, .61 blocks, who knows how many dropped passes
Rasho-19 min a game, 51%fg, 4 rebounds a game, 4.5 points and a block a game, and probably at least one missed layup

So how do these stats make Rasho and Nazr 2nd rate and Elson 3rd
funny :rolleyes
last year, all three were 3rd rate centers....
people who are claiming rasho and nazr to be 2nd rate and elson 3rd are taking their entire NBA careers into account

Please_dont_ban_me
07-19-2006, 01:48 PM
Can I eat a jelly doughnut without spilling some of the jelly out from the side?

sa_butta
07-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Can I eat a jelly doughnut without spilling some of the jelly out from the side?How much jelly is in the middle??

beirmeistr
07-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Even a 2nd or 3rd rate center is better than no center at all. As long as they can run the floor and pretend to defend the paint. Like that old hippie, Scott Pollard.

Tom_Foolery
07-19-2006, 01:53 PM

wasn't this in like the early 90s?

um...the game's changed quite a bit since then.

Tom_Foolery
07-19-2006, 01:55 PM

Even Diop is better than anything we have and he wasn't even their real starting center.

not trying to disagree with you, but just pointing out that even their 2nd or 3rd center was better than any of the centers we had during the playoffs.

tlongII
07-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Tim Duncan is a 3rd rate center?

Tom_Foolery
07-19-2006, 01:57 PM
The thread asks if we can get there not necessarily win it. Besides maybe by midseason we can get a trade for a better Center. Really it doesnt matter who you put on Shaq, that is going to be a tough matchup and all you can do is body him up. I think our big 3 can carry us in and the role players will follow. We have proven leaders, they just need to give the other guys the confidence to beleive they can contribute.

did our big 3 carry us in last season?

next.

mardigan
07-19-2006, 01:58 PM
If we can win it with Rasho and No hands, we could win it with Escelade

Tom_Foolery
07-19-2006, 01:59 PM
Fuck small ball.

We came within one point, we're back with essentially the same team. This time Manu won't foul.

so you're saying nobody will be any better than last year?

pretty naive if you ask me.

Tom_Foolery
07-19-2006, 02:01 PM
Even a 2nd or 3rd rate center is better than no center at all. As long as they can run the floor and pretend to defend the paint. Like that old hippie, Scott Pollard.

i'd definitely take pollard over the 2 we signed. atleast he's a tough defender and rebounder.

cheguevara
07-19-2006, 02:33 PM
We already did.

exactly

Doc Jerome
07-19-2006, 03:10 PM
I don't know about making it to the finals again, or even winning the championship with a 3rd rate center. Nazr played well during that championship run. Rasho was really a no show in every aspect of every post season he was a Spur. Now you all expect to go to the finals with an older yet still dominant Duncan, more fragile then ever Ginobilli, more confident yet still inconsistent shooting Parker, older still Bowen, and 2 scrub centers that weren't even starters on their own teams. I think that's asking a bit much of your core group. We haven't even discussed the overthehill gang on the bench; although, in Horry I still trust. And for those of you extolling the virtues of Bonner, I just do not see him helping the Spurs when the playoffs come around.

Youth, Athleticism, and Skill. Stay Tuned. :fro

strangeweather
07-19-2006, 03:31 PM
Tim Duncan is a 3rd rate center?
Duncan is the GOAT at PF and probably the best center in the NBA when he lines up there, but even Duncan can't do both at the same time. Once you get past Duncan, the pickins are just as slim at PF as at C.

Spurologist
07-19-2006, 04:52 PM
That's just TomFoolery to think now.

NBA history has said yes time and time again