PDA

View Full Version : Toros Annouce Schedule; D-League All-Star Game in Vegas

ChumpDumper
07-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Toros Announce 2006-07 Schedule

AUSTIN, TEXAS, July 18, 2006 - The Austin Toros announced the 2006-07 regular season schedule today with 24 home games, including 19 convenient weekend dates, at the Austin Convention Center. Highlighting the 50-game schedule is the inaugural NBA Development League All-Star game, as part of the Jam Session at the 2007 NBA All-Star Weekend in Las Vegas.

“We are excited about the upcoming Austin Toros season and thrilled to continue to bring family affordable entertainment to the heart of downtown Austin,” said team president Mike Berry. “We were very pleased with the support received from the community during our inaugural season and will continue our ongoing efforts of delivering a fan-friendly product each and every game.”

With seven new markets and 12 teams for 2006-07, the D-League will be divided into divisions for the first time. The Arkansas RimRockers, Austin Toros, Dakota Wizards, Fort Worth Flyers, Sioux Falls Sky Force and Tulsa 66ers will comprise the Eastern Division. The Albuquerque Thunderbirds, Anaheim Arsenal, Bakersfield Jam, Colorado 14ers, Idaho Stampede and Los Angeles make up the Western Division.

Led by 13-year NBA veteran Dennis Johnson, the Toros will start the regular season on the road against the defending D-League champion Albuquerque Thunderbirds on Friday, November 24.

The Toros return home to host the Fort Worth Flyers in their home opener Saturday, November 25 in the rivalry between the two Texas team’s fans dubbed the “Battle of I-35”. Official times will be announced at a later date.

The inaugural NBA Development All-Star Game on Saturday, February 17, will be played at Jam Session Center Court immediately following practices for the East and West NBA All-Star Teams. Teams representing the Eastern and Western Divisions of the D-League will be selected by vote that includes fans, as well as D-League players and coaches. D-League All-Star Game voting procedures will be finalized and released in the near future. The head coach with the best record in each division two weeks prior to the All-Star game will coach each respective team.

The Toros kick off the 2007 calendar year with four home dates in January as well as the third annual NBA Development League MLK Showcase, which will feature 12 “D-League” games in two days. The longest homestand of the season is a five-game stretch beginning February 16 vs. Fort Worth and ending Saturday, March 3 vs. the Arkansas RimRockers.

Spanning from November to April, the regular season wraps up with back-to-back home games against the Dakota Wizards beginning on Friday, April 13-14.

The 2006-07 Toros schedule features 83 percent of the games on weekends including eight Friday’s, 10 Saturday’s and one Sunday game.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/austin/austin_0607_schedule.html

Good move getting as many weekend dates as possible and only one Sunday game.

That particular sentence was poorly worded but I think the MLK showcase may be in Austin next year. Basically all the teams come to town that weekend to play a game in front of scouts. Hopefully more people attend than did in Fayetteville last season.

MannyIsGod
07-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Who wants to go to the All Star game? Sign me up! :lol

ChumpDumper
07-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Kinda sucks the ASG is the day after a home game. Maybe I'll take the same flight as the Toros out to Vegas.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-19-2006, 03:08 PM
The NBA will never have anything to do with Las Vegas [/Buddy Holly]

angel_luv
07-19-2006, 06:09 PM
Who wants to go to the All Star game? Sign me up! :lol

I wish that either the game was in September or my trip was in Feb. :lol