PDA

View Full Version : USA Players Odds At Being Cut

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-19-2006, 10:03 PM
Odds are, six won’t survive cut for USA Basketball
By Mike McGraw
Daily Herald Sports Writer
Posted Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Bulls guard Kirk Hinrich and 19 other NBA stars will convene in Las Vegas today with the goal of restoring USA Basketball to its rightful place in the world.

After earning a bronze at the 2004 Athens Olympics and failing to medal at the ’02 World Championships in Indianapolis, USA Basketball is attempting a new tactic. This year, players have to try out and the roster will be trimmed to 12 by the time the FIBA World Championships begin in Japan on Aug. 19.

When you think about it, this concept may be unprecedented in the history of American pro sports. Multi-millionaire athletes will actually be cut from an all-star team.

Here’s how I see things happening: At the end of the final practice Tuesday, U.S. coach Mike Krzyzewski will sit the players down in the bleachers and tell a story about how Michael Jordan was once cut from his high school team.

That story might be a myth. I think what actually happened was Jordan didn’t make the varsity as a sophomore at Laney High School in Wilmington, N.C. But the details aren’t important. Eyes will be filling with tears once Krzyzewski is finished telling the tale.

Then the coaching staff will meet in an office before an assistant, probably Syracuse’s Jim Boeheim, emerges to tack a sheet containing the final roster onto a bulletin board.

Some players will crowd around, stand on their toes and crane their necks to see if they made the team. Others will calmly pack up their gear on the other side of the gym.

“Uh, LeBron, aren’t you going to see if you made the team?”

“Don’t make me laugh. There is no team if I’m not on it.”

Actually, only three players will be cut this week in training camp and three more will be removed following exhibitions in China and South Korea. Chauncey Billups and Michael Redd are planning to attend training camp but were given a pass on the overseas trip due to family obligations.

But sooner or later, six players have to go. So here’s a rundown of those most likely to be trimmed from Team USA. LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Elton Brand and Shawn Marion have no chance of getting cut and will be ignored in this space.

•Luke Ridnour, G, Seattle. Odds: 3-2.

A strange choice to begin with. If someone suggested that Ridnour was included on this team just to shame Hinrich into rethinking his original decision not to participate, I’d buy it.

•Adam Morrison, F, Charlotte. Odds: 2-1.

The only player with no NBA experience would be easy to let go. The question is, how would he react to news that he’s been cut?

•Amare Stoudemire, F-C, Suns. Odds: 3-1.

He only missed 79 games last season with a knee injury. Rehab on your own time, not at Uncle Sam’s expense.

•Bruce Bowen, G, Spurs. Odds: 6-1.

Supposed to be a defensive stopper, but at 35, his legs don’t move fast enough anymore. Maybe he could use some insider knowledge to stop Spurs teammate Manu Ginobili in a showdown with Argentina.

•Antawn Jamison, F, Wizards. Odds: 7-1.

A finesse power forward whose value drops when his shot doesn’t fall. Team USA can do better.

•Joe Johnson, G, Hawks. Odds: 8-1.

He’s a very talented player, but being associated with the Hawks is bound to hurt his chances.

•Shane Battier, F, Rockets. Odds: 10-1.

Would be one of the favorites to get cut if he hadn’t given Coach K four of the best years of his life at Duke.

•Carmelo Anthony, F, Nuggets. Odds: 12-1.

Maybe he’ll be let go in retribution for all that whining he did over his role at the 2004 Olympics.

•Brad Miller, C, Kings. Odds: 15-1.

Good dirty-work player who won’t complain about limited playing time. Plus, his tobacco-chewing habit is sure to entertain the international media.

•Kirk Hinrich, G, Bulls. Odds: 20-1.

Come on, you think managing director Jerry Colangelo would have begged Hinrich to join the team if he didn’t think the Bulls’ guard would make it?

•Gilbert Arenas, G, Wizards. Odds: 25-1.

Maybe Coach K can do what Wizards boss Eddie Jordan hasn’t — convince Arenas to play defense.

•Chris Paul, G, Hornets. Odds: 30-1.

Can’t leave off the best young point guard in the game.

•Chris Bosh, F-C, Raptors. Odds: 150-1.

Good guy, very good player. He could be a key to U.S. success.

•Dwight Howard, F-C, Magic. Odds: 200-1.

With Stoudemire’s status in question, the Eastern Conference version will surely stick around.

•No one gets cut. Odds: Even

In this scenario, Team USA experiences a convenient series of minor injuries that will spare anyone the embarrassment of being sent home. Already, Kobe Bryant, Paul Pierce and J.J. Redick have bowed out due to injuries, while Lamar Odom was excused for personal reasons.

•Coach Mike Krzyzewski, Duke. Odds: 10,000-1.

Assistant Mike D’Antoni should be coaching this team, because he has more international experience than anyone, having coached in Italy before taking over the Phoenix Suns.

Based on my observations, Krzyzewski is good at three things: recruiting the nation’s finest high school players, intimidating referees and providing sarcastic answers to serious questions. As a bench coach, I’ve had my doubts since watching Krzyzewski get worked over by Connecticut’s Jim Calhoun in the 1999 NCAA title game.

Switch coaches in mid-tournament? Now that would be a bold move to shake up the world’s supposed basketball powerhouse.

whottt
07-19-2006, 10:04 PM
This dude obviously hasn't watched Bruce play.

TxJudsonRocketTx
07-19-2006, 10:05 PM
•Bruce Bowen, G, Spurs. Odds: 6-1.

Supposed to be a defensive stopper, but at 35, his legs don’t move fast enough anymore. Maybe he could use some insider knowledge to stop Spurs teammate Manu Ginobili in a showdown with Argentina.

Someone obviously doesnt watch much basketball if they think Bruce cant move with the best of em

ALVAREZ6
07-19-2006, 10:08 PM

Did that ho really say that?????

Kori Ellis
07-19-2006, 10:10 PM
When will they do the cuts? Before they go to the exhibition games in China/Korea?

Solid D
07-19-2006, 10:11 PM
http://www.dailyherald.com/images/mugs/mcgraw.jpg

Bulls Beat Writer

phxspurfan
07-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Did that ho really say that?????

haha

Extra Stout
07-19-2006, 10:14 PM
This dude obviously hasn't watched Bruce play.
Bruce is down to ~90% of his defensive peak.

Beer is Good
07-19-2006, 10:21 PM
Bruce makes the team. Someone needs to play D, and only having Battier doing it won't be enough.

Beer is Good
07-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Although selfishly, I won't be dissapointed if he doesn't make it. We need a healthy team next year, and Bruce is still a big part. I would like to see the US win gold, but don't really care that much. I WANT NBA GOLD AGAIN IN SA NEXT YEAR!

awmyplace
07-19-2006, 10:31 PM
Do ya'll think that Usa players will won the gold medal this year?

adonis827
07-19-2006, 10:32 PM
how old would bruce be 3 years from now? i don't think bruce can make it. but it was an honor enough to be invited into that pool

Kori Ellis
07-19-2006, 10:35 PM
how old would bruce be 3 years from now? i don't think bruce can make it. but it was an honor enough to be invited into that pool

So you don't even think they should keep him on the team that's playing in the World Championships this summer?

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-19-2006, 10:44 PM
this guy is an idiot!

•Carmelo Anthony, F, Nuggets. Odds: 12-1.

Maybe he’ll be let go in retribution for all that whining he did over his role at the 2004 Olympics.

:drunk Like he didnt have a right to whine and like he was the only one whining :lol

Larry Brown was the worst coach for an Olympic squad, last year with the knicks just re-iterated it. Everyone knows Larry hates young guys and it took him more than half the season to start realising that the Knicks had some good young guys.

ShoogarBear
07-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Jamison, Ridnour, and Morrison add nothing to the team and should be the first to go.

Stoudemire shouldn't be there if he's not 100%, not because he isn't good enough, but because his first priority should be getting to 100%, and I think Suns fans agree.

Brad Miller? Did anybody watch last year's playoffs?

Joe Johnson will be kept until Kobe and Pierce return, and then he's gone.

I think they'll only keep one of Battier or Bowen. Bruce is still the better defender, and maybe even wind up a better 3-point shooter in the international game, but Battier is more versatile. I think this will be the tough one.

I give props to this guy for at least questioning the sainted Coach K. Does anyone really believe he knows the game better than Pop or Larry Brown?

strangeweather
07-20-2006, 01:00 AM
Jamison, Ridnour, and Morrison add nothing to the team and should be the first to go.

Stoudemire shouldn't be there if he's not 100%, not because he isn't good enough, but because his first priority should be getting to 100%, and I think Suns fans agree.
:tu

Brad Miller? Did anybody watch last year's playoffs?
On paper, Miller's game is a lot more suited to FIBA ball than the NBA -- he could be a real help if he can pull his head out of his ass long enough.

I think they'll only keep one of Battier or Bowen. Bruce is still the better defender, and maybe even wind up a better 3-point shooter in the international game, but Battier is more versatile. I think this will be the tough one.
I would be tempted to keep them both and put them two-deep at SF, so we have a sound perimeter defender out there at all times. The SG slot can be where we put the heavy scorers, so a perimeter slot for a low-usage guy who does a lot of supporting things will make them a better team.

Slinkyman
07-20-2006, 01:22 AM
this guy is an idiot!

:drunk Like he didnt have a right to whine and like he was the only one whining :lol

Larry Brown was the worst coach for an Olympic squad, last year with the knicks just re-iterated it. Everyone knows Larry hates young guys and it took him more than half the season to start realising that the Knicks had some good young guys.

Brown may have done a bad job but George Karl was the worst Team USA coach

PhxDog
07-20-2006, 01:26 AM
Here's a question: if Popovich was the lead assistant, do you think he'd prefer to send Amare home, or do you think he'd try to keep him on the team, and to work Amare as hard as he could over the summer?

Please_dont_ban_me
07-20-2006, 01:50 AM

Bulls Beat Writer

Now that is a face made for radio...or in this case, newspaper.

Phenomanul
07-20-2006, 03:07 AM
Here's a question: if Popovich was the lead assistant, do you think he'd prefer to send Amare home, or do you think he'd try to keep him on the team, and to work Amare as hard as he could over the summer?

C'mon Pop has more class than this.... :rolleyes :rolleyes

MajorMike
07-20-2006, 07:15 AM

Holy chit, isn't that RuPaul without makeup?

FromWayDowntown
07-20-2006, 08:11 AM
I think Shoog is right that Bowen's staying with Team USA would seem to be linked to whether Battier stays with Team USA. I can't see this organization keeping both of them, despite the renewed emphasis on building a team and accepting role players.

Given Battier's links to Coach K, his relative youth, and the fact that he's probably a better-rounded offensive player than Bruce, I've generally believed that Bowen is here because there would have been some pundits wondering about whether this was going to end up being Dream Team Light Part 5, and that Battier will end up being the pick.

I hope I'm wrong for Bruce's sake -- I think he deserves the honor of representing his country in an international tournament like the WC.

GrandeDavid
07-20-2006, 08:31 AM
Bruce will be 37 during the next Olympics. I say he makes the team. His legs move just fine and he's got a great attitude, humility, competitive fire, pride and an unparalleled work ethic. He'd be excellent getting in international three point shooters' grills on the perimeter. 35 or even 37 for Bruce Bowen, I think its safe to say, is younger than most NBA players at that age. Some people age faster or worse than others, and I think we can all agree that Bruce Bowen does not show his age.

cheguevara
07-20-2006, 09:14 AM
vbookie on this?

furry_spurry
07-20-2006, 09:30 AM
I still think it is interesting how the US team is always making exeptions for players to miss part of the preparation. I understand and know that people have other obligations- other countries would just let them go. They would rather have 15 guys that can be there for everything- rather than guys who won't even be playing the warm-up tournaments! Hw do you play in the WC when you didn't even go with the team to China or South Korea? I think it still shows the US not understanding about proper team preparation for these events.

cheguevara
07-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Bruce will be 37 during the next Olympics. I say he makes the team. His legs move just fine and he's got a great attitude, humility, competitive fire, pride and an unparalleled work ethic. He'd be excellent getting in international three point shooters' grills on the perimeter. 35 or even 37 for Bruce Bowen, I think its safe to say, is younger than most NBA players at that age. Some people age faster or worse than others, and I think we can all agree that Bruce Bowen does not show his age.

There's slim chance Bruce will make the team. But if he does, he will foul out very fast most of the time.

It's funny ppl say "Bruce is a great defender in the NBA, he will stop anyone in the olympics" u guys forget it's different rules. We'll see if he finds a way to play w/the new rules or if he just gets frustrated like Duncan did.

leemajors
07-20-2006, 09:31 AM
There's slim chance Bruce will make the team. But if he does, he will foul out very fast most of the time.

yeah, bruce isn't a smart player at all and will totally be unable to adapt to how games are being called. :lol

furry_spurry
07-20-2006, 09:32 AM
yeah, bruce isn't a smart player at all and will totally be unable to adapt to how games are being called. :lol
Tim didn't.

cheguevara
07-20-2006, 09:32 AM
It's funny ppl say "Bruce is a great defender in the NBA, he will stop anyone in the olympics" u guys forget it's different rules. We'll see if he finds a way to play w/the new rules or if he just gets frustrated like Duncan did.

leemajors
07-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Tim didn't.

that would be fantasically relevant if we were talking about tim. bowen has played in europe before, and is one of the few perimiter players to have successfully adapted his defensive game through the new NBA hand checking rules.

cheguevara
07-20-2006, 09:45 AM
bowen has played in europe before,
Bowen didn't play the way he does back then.

and is one of the few perimiter players to have successfully adapted his defensive game through the new NBA hand checking rules.
And how many years did that take? he doesn't have that much time for the WC

Noone is saying Bruce will fail in the WC, but there is a BIG chance he will struggle with foul trouble w/the different officiating. I'm just stating it's not that easy as ppl say "Bruce will stop anyone in the WC" :rolleyes

leemajors
07-20-2006, 09:54 AM
Bowen didn't play the way he does back then.

And how many years did that take? he doesn't have that much time for the WC

Noone is saying Bruce will fail in the WC, but there is a BIG chance he will struggle with foul trouble w/the different officiating. I'm just stating it's not that easy as ppl say "Bruce will stop anyone in the WC" :rolleyes

i didn't say he could stop anyone, i'm saying he is/was familiar with how the games are called, and a lot of bruce's skill at defense comes with being prepared for his opponent. you said he would foul out in the first half, i don't think that will happen. there were a lot of rules changes following the piston's title run, and bruce was fine at the beginning of the season. he may run into his trouble with some calls, but he's not the type to let it get to his head.

pache100
07-20-2006, 09:56 AM

I don't believe Lebron would say that. He might not look at the list, but he would not say that. Kobe would say that...but not Lebron.

furry_spurry
07-20-2006, 09:57 AM
All-access video from practice at nba.com.

Some of the coaches comments were kind of funny- like telling the players that they need to shoot when they are open. :lol

that would be fantasically relevant if we were talking about tim. bowen has played in europe before...
Playing IN Europe and playing international competitions under FIBA are not the same thing.

phyzik
07-20-2006, 10:58 AM
this has the makings to be a disney "based on actual events" movie. I mean come on, you got a guy who will be near 38 yrs old come olympic time, a coach from college, a guy who hasnt played in a full season because of knee surgery, the guy most people love to hate but has some mad basketball skills (kobe), some unbelievable talent in Wade and Lebron and several other guys most people outside of the United States have probably never even heard of. All of that and throw in the faliure of team USA last olympics, if this team wins they will make a movie, mark my words.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-20-2006, 11:09 AM
Bruce making the team or not will be a true reflection of whether the U.S. "commitment" to team ball vs. a star cast is real or not. There is not a guy on that list who can defend as well as Bowen.

There isn't a better team player than Bowen so it will be interesting to see what happens.

leemajors
07-20-2006, 11:20 AM
All-access video from practice at nba.com.

Some of the coaches comments were kind of funny- like telling the players that they need to shoot when they are open. :lol

Playing IN Europe and playing international competitions under FIBA are not the same thing.

he knows what to expect, i believe he will adjust his game accordingly in advance. he knows what it will take to make this team, and what he needs to do to contribute. no one works harder than bruce.

weebo
07-20-2006, 11:59 AM
If Bruce can stay in front of people, he'll make the team. No doubt.

sprrs
07-20-2006, 02:59 PM

You're not taking into account Bruce's Bball IQ. probably the only reasons he's successful in the NBA are his work ethic and his IQ. Are you going to say Tim has a higher bball IQ then Bruce? He can adapt.