PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Butler to join Spurs' frontline

Kori Ellis
07-19-2006, 11:04 PM
Butler to join Spurs' frontline

Web Posted: 07/19/2006 10:39 PM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA072006.1C.BKNspurs.butler.149b37d.html

With the NBA's summer-long reality series "Big Man Search 2006: Does Anyone Want to Stand Next to Tim Duncan?" possibly nearing a wrap, the Spurs have found one contestant who won't end up on the cutting-room floor.

New York decided Wednesday against matching the Spurs' three-year, $7 million offer to Jackie Butler, a Knicks official said. While the decision assures the Spurs at least one center to call their own next season, they also will learn today whether they need to resume shopping for another.

Denver officials have yet to decide — or at least say publicly — whether to keep Francisco Elson. The Nuggets have until the end of today to match the Spurs' two-year, $6 million offer.

League rules, however, don't specify whether "end of today" means the end of the business day or 11:59 p.m. — or even a specific time zone. As a result, Spurs officials might have to wait late into the night before learning whether they get Elson.

Denver officials likely want to take as much time as possible in case a trade materializes to trim their frontcourt. Their decision also could hinge on how optimistic they feel about re-signing forward Reggie Evans.

Nuggets coach George Karl spoke about Elson in the past tense last week, but that was before the team saved money by arranging a trade with Chicago to acquire a potential starting shooting guard in J.R. Smith.

The Knicks didn't need the full week to make their decision on Butler. New York president and coach Isiah Thomas told Butler's agent, Keith Glass, around 2 p.m. Wednesday the team wasn't matching the Spurs' offer.

Spurs officials declined to comment about Butler until the league finalizes the paperwork for his signing.

The Knicks have 14 guaranteed contracts, one shy of the league maximum, with close to $70 million invested in centers Eddy Curry and Jerome James. Butler's $7 million contract also would essentially cost New York double because the team likely will incur the league's dollar-for-dollar luxury tax.

The Spurs also consider Butler, 21, somewhat of a project but one that could yield results next season. At 6-foot-10, 260 pounds, Butler has a soft touch, good footwork, great hands and passes well. Scouts consider him a gifted offensive player but a questionable defender.

How well Butler would fit into the Spurs' system remains to be seen. Elson figures to be the more likely candidate to start next to Duncan because of his experience, provided the Nuggets don't keep him.

Butler averaged 5.3 points and 3.3 rebounds in 13.5 minutes during 55 games last season. His per-minute production exceeded that of Rasho Nesterovic and compared favorably with Nazr Mohammed's — one reason why Spurs officials like his potential. In three appearances against the Spurs last season, one of which was an exhibition game, Butler totaled 34 points, 18 rebounds and five blocks in 52 minutes.

Former Knicks coach Larry Brown called Butler "our best center by far" less than two months into the season and continued to sometimes play him in fourth quarters ahead of Curry and James.

"He's a 21-year-old, 6-10 guy who's not just a body," Glass said. "He's a guy who can play basketball."

Butler grew up in Mississippi before finishing high school in Virginia. He skipped college to declare for the 2004 NBA draft but wasn't selected. Cut by Minnesota in training camp, he played in the CBA until the Knicks signed him midway through the 2004-05 season.

"Jackie's very thankful for everything Isiah and the Knicks did for him," Glass said. "But playing for the Spurs is obviously very exciting — the tradition of the team, the fact they win and do things in a very professional manner. The chance to play with Tim is not exactly a negative, either."

Glass hopes the Spurs' veteran leadership and stability furthers Butler's development — another reason he said Butler turned down more lucrative offers elsewhere. Butler, who made $641,748 last season, will draw a first-year salary of slightly more than $2 million with his new contract.

The Spurs have been searching for a center since Nesterovic was traded to Toronto and Mohammed signed with Detroit. Joel Przybilla re-signed with Portland, and Alonzo Mourning turned down an offer from the Spurs to return to Miami.

Negotiations with Lithuanian Robertas Javtokas, one of the team's former draft picks, broke down last week. Sean Marks, who spent three seasons with the Spurs, has been in contract discussions with Phoenix.

If the Nuggets keep Elson, the Spurs would have about $3 million left to pursue another big man. Memphis' Lorenzen Wright, Indiana's Scot Pollard, Charlotte's Melvin Ely and Jake Voskuhl, Toronto's Loren Woods and Boston's Michael Olowokandi are among the remaining free-agent centers.

ro_50
07-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Is it automatically assumed if Elson goes elsewhere, the Spurs will look for another big man?

timvp
07-19-2006, 11:06 PM
Is it automatically assumed if Elson goes elsewhere, the Spurs will look for another big man?

Hopefully not. Oberto can give you whatever Elson would.

The Spurs need a lot of help in other areas ... namely a long three who can rebound. Ariza, Woods and Jones are out there and would help the Spurs more than yet another bigman would.

Leetonidas
07-19-2006, 11:07 PM
Ian Mahinmi is always a possibility, but I seriously doubt it. If Elson is matched, the Spurs will probably go after a center.

ro_50
07-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Ian Mahinmi is always a possibility, but I seriously doubt it. If Elson is matched, the Spurs will probably go after a center.

I think the Spurs have already hinted than Ian is going to stay overseas for another year before coming over here.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
07-19-2006, 11:10 PM
damn, i hope Denver matches.....

Leetonidas
07-19-2006, 11:10 PM
I know, which is why I said I doubt it. A Spurs official was quoted somewhere saying there's a small possibility of him being here next year. I'm assuming that'll happen if the Spurs can't find another big man behind Butler.

ducks
07-19-2006, 11:11 PM
I think if the elson is matched
it forces the spurs to go after murphy
he is on the block and can be had

ducks
07-19-2006, 11:12 PM
gs is getting up there with the tax scola and jav would be cheap replacements for murphy

Brutalis
We need a karma thingy, like +1 -1.

MannyIsGod
Murphy is a pipe dream.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-19-2006, 11:14 PM
Okay, if Ludden's announcing, it must be a done deal.

Fantastic! I think this guy has real potential to contribute right away, and with our team he can only get better.

Excellent.

Now, grab Kelvin Cato for the minimum as a backup and throw 3mil at an SF, and we're ready to go to war! :tu

Kori Ellis
07-19-2006, 11:15 PM
Sean Marks, who spent three seasons with the Spurs, has been in contract discussions with Phoenix.

No one is shocked that someone wants Marks?

Leetonidas
07-19-2006, 11:15 PM
Okay, if Ludden's announcing, it must be a done deal.

Fantastic! I think this guy has real potential to contribute right away, and with our team he can only get better.

Excellent.

Now, grab Kelvin Cato for the minimum as a backup and throw 3mil at an SF, and we're ready to go to war! :tu

That actually wouldn't be a bad idea if Elson is matched.

Leetonidas
07-19-2006, 11:16 PM

I'm gonna miss the Kiwi. :depressed

ducks
07-19-2006, 11:16 PM
murphy could be a pipe dream but why would gs pay the tax 2 years in a row?

seems me if teams were offering alot for murphy he would have been traded by now

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-19-2006, 11:19 PM
No Murphy (can't defend), no Magloire (can defend, rebound or block shots well for his size) please. Both on terrible contracts, although Magloire's runs out this year (?).

Cato and Jones and we're primed for a good run at the trophy.

Question - why aren't people snapping up a guy like Jones? He can score, shoot a bit, rebounds well, is only 27. I'm syrprised someone hasn't thrown 20mil/5yrs at him.

exstatic
07-19-2006, 11:20 PM
He shoots the ball well, and plays little or no defense. Phoneix is a perfect fit for him. :lol :lol

RogerIsEatingASandwich
Seeing Marks in Phx would be weird...

Mr. Body
seems me if teams were offering alot for murphy he would have been traded by now

just wait.

my bet? definitely not the Spurs.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-19-2006, 11:21 PM

Hell, I thought Marks should've gotten a bit more burn. He looked fantastic in garbage time! :lol

RogerIsEatingASandwich
07-19-2006, 11:21 PM
He shoots the ball well, and plays little or no defense. Phoneix is a perfect fit for him. :lol :lol

true, I guess that would be a good fit for him :lol

El_Mago
07-19-2006, 11:27 PM
Hopefully not. Oberto can give you whatever Elson would.

The Spurs need a lot of help in other areas ... namely a long three who can rebound. Ariza, Woods and Jones are out there and would help the Spurs more than yet another bigman would.

Oberto does not have Elson's speed down the floor. I don't think he has the perimeter range as Elson. They both seem aggressive down low....not that their aggression equates to success.....

Anyways, I agree with you, that they should look for that long wing....however, if Ludden reports that they will probably search for a big man, then thats probably what they would do with the rest of the MLE if Elson is matched.

If thats the case, I think the SF search ends with Melzer. Spurs seem to be high on him and they like his game.

ducks
07-19-2006, 11:28 PM
melzer is the long three this year

ducks
07-19-2006, 11:29 PM
saving that 3 million is going to help the spurs be able to take on murphy's contract

Mr. Body
07-19-2006, 11:35 PM
Ducks, do you like Troy Murphy? I was wondering. :lol

ducks
07-19-2006, 11:38 PM
yes I like murphy

murphy's contract in 2 years is going to seem cheap

MannyIsGod
07-19-2006, 11:49 PM
The Kiwi kicks ass. I'm not suprised another team is taking notice.

SequSpur
07-20-2006, 12:17 AM
Oberto sucks. That is a waste of a roster spot right there.

strangeweather
07-20-2006, 12:23 AM
I keep hoping he'll get bundled with Williams or Barry in a trade.

SequSpur
07-20-2006, 12:25 AM

Kiwi > Rasho, Nazr and Oberto

G0D
07-20-2006, 12:28 AM
No Murphy (can't defend), no Magloire (can defend, rebound or block shots well for his size) please. Both on terrible contracts, although Magloire's runs out this year (?).

Cato and Jones and we're primed for a good run at the trophy.

Question - why aren't people snapping up a guy like Jones? He can score, shoot a bit, rebounds well, is only 27. I'm syrprised someone hasn't thrown 20mil/5yrs at him.

"He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised: and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant."

-Genesis 17:13

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-20-2006, 12:32 AM
Ducks, why do you like Murphy so much?

He's a decent player: he can score down low, has a bit of range, certainly he can rebound, but he doesn't block shots and can't defend for sheeeit!

Sure, he'd fit elsewhere, but we don't need another big man scorer, not for 10mil a yr! We'd have to gut the bench ot get him, and then I'd ask what's his role? 20 mins a night off the bench?

Nah, don't get where you're comin from ducksie ol' pal.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-20-2006, 12:38 AM
"He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised: and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant."

So, let me get this straight GOD, we aren't chasing Jones because he has a hood on his penis? :spin

Axl Van Dam
07-20-2006, 12:41 AM
So, let me get this straight GOD, we aren't chasing Jones because he has a hood on his penis? :spin

:huh Who is this Jones being discussed??

THE SIXTH MAN
07-20-2006, 12:43 AM
yes I like murphy

Murphy's contract in 2 years is going to seem cheap
Ducks who would you see the spurs moving to get Murphy?

strangeweather
07-20-2006, 12:46 AM
:huh Who is this Jones being discussed??
Jumaine Jones, athletic 6'8" SF who can also play the 4.

PhxDog
07-20-2006, 01:13 AM
I'm a little shocked. :lol

I would think, for the same price, the Suns would prefer to keep Maciej Lampe around. Guess I'm not on the same page as the Suns' front office...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-20-2006, 01:46 AM
timvp, you feeling better about this offseason now that we've secured Butler???

I have to say that 7mil over 3 years for a young promising centre, not to mention stealing him out from under the biggest spenders in the NBA, is a complete coup.

I feel this kid is going to contribute well this year. If he gives us 10/7/1.5, with the odd breakout offensive game where he schools some punks (like Rasho did when Tm was out), we'd have to be happy. I think the kid can do it too.

I hope he starts, but I have a feeling they might be thinking about Elson as the starter. That would suck, but of course Butler will win the starting job depending on his play.

timvp
07-20-2006, 01:51 AM
timvp, you feeling better about this offseason now that we've secured Butler???

Getting Butler makes this offseason a whole lot more successful. He's a very promising piece to the puzzle.

I feel this kid is going to contribute well this year. If he gives us 10/7/1.5, with the odd breakout offensive game where he schools some punks (like Rasho did when Tm was out), we'd have to be happy. I think the kid can do it too.

That's probably a little much to be expecting from him this upcoming season. He's still only 21-years-old and will take time to learn the Spurs' system and earn Pop's trust. I think if he can average 7 points and 5 rebounds, that'd be a good season for him. Down the line, I believe he's very capable of the numbers you stated ... just not this year.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-20-2006, 01:55 AM
Yeah, you are probably right. You have to think about average over an 82 game season.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if we see quite a few 10/8 or 12/7 type games from him, then others where he hardly sees the court due to matchups.

The kid will definitely contribute though, and as we always say about Spurs centres (since DRob anyway), stats don't really matter - it's the hustle plays and help D that measure their success.

We should have a v-bookie on how many shots Butler will block this year. I think he'll send over 1 a game into the stands, although 1 1/2 is probably too much to hope for...

Que Gee
07-20-2006, 01:59 AM

he should have been getting more run than Oberto.

Kori Ellis
07-20-2006, 02:09 AM
Marks gets hurt warming up. That's probably why he doesn't get even many backup minutes.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-20-2006, 02:15 AM
Great.

Now...ink Elson and call it a offseason.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-20-2006, 02:17 AM
Marks would be a nice fit in Phoenix too.

Think of all the open jumpers he'd get with Nash, and he wouldn't have to play D. He'd be in heaven.

Tom_Foolery
07-20-2006, 05:07 AM
my bet is on woods. pop & rc have been interested in woods in the past, so i think francisco is matched, i think pop & rc go after woods.

TDMVPDPOY
07-20-2006, 06:52 AM
is butler still growin or what?

future frontcourt ian + butler 2 7'0s :D:D tim duncans nutts

MajorMike
07-20-2006, 07:06 AM

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

picnroll
07-20-2006, 07:27 AM
There's hardly a big man in the league that Oberto can guard in the post without fouling.

Popovich will stroke out and have a heart attack if he ever tries to coach Olowkandi.

TDMVPDPOY
07-20-2006, 07:31 AM
i welcome you all the B-TEAM

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/3107/thebteamyi2.jpg

Das Texan
07-20-2006, 07:51 AM

I wish he were still a Spur.

spurster
07-20-2006, 08:17 AM
Why shouldn't someone want Marks? There is a shortage of centers with any resemblance of talent.

Getting Butler is good, but both Butler and Elson? I'd rather see Oberto get some play.

dbestpro
07-20-2006, 08:30 AM
I find it ironic that Butler is good at what Nazr and Rasho were not. When inside, Jackie will dunk the ball. (Rasho not). When inside, Jackie will catch the ball. (Nazr not).

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-20-2006, 08:30 AM
ducks,

Lay off the sauce, Murphy isn't coming.

I hope that ELson gets matched, take that money and go get Jumaine Jones or Trevor Ariza.

furry_spurry
07-20-2006, 08:41 AM
I find it ironic that Butler is good at what Nazr and Rasho were not. When inside, Jackie will dunk the ball. (Rasho not). When inside, Jackie will catch the ball. (Nazr not).
Unfortunately he is bad at some of what they were good at-- like Rasho's defense and shot blocking.

Then why do we keep going after European and South American guys??

leemajors
07-20-2006, 09:23 AM
Unfortunately he is bad at some of what they were good at-- like Rasho's defense and shot blocking.

2 of our best players are european and south american?

Supergirl
07-20-2006, 09:41 AM

I'm less worried about this, and not because I value defense less. I worry less about this because defense can be taught, if a player is coachable.

Larry Brown recommendeded him, and Pop and RC see potential in him, so I believe in him. He could be the biggest steal of the offseason. If not, it hasn't cost the Spurs much.

furry_spurry
07-20-2006, 09:42 AM
2 of our best players are european and south american?
Did you not understand the quote I was responding to?? Some practices are not nearly as common in Europe and South America as they are in the US. See?

I worry less about this because defense can be taught, if a player is coachable
That's what they said about Nazr.

leemajors
07-20-2006, 09:58 AM
Did you not understand the quote I was responding to?? Some practices are not nearly as common in Europe and South America as they are in the US. See?

it's hard to understand what you are getting at with a lot of your posts. it's easier to find a foreign steal at the end of the first round and in the second, which is where the spurs have been picking lately, if they pick at all. you don't have a terrible amount of us players flying under the radar that aren't snatched up by the time the spurs pick. the spurs developed their foreign scouting to try and take advantage of what seemed like a disadvantage, and have succeeded at that overall.

genghisrex
07-20-2006, 10:00 AM
And had he gone through training camp, it may have been true.

wildbill2u
07-20-2006, 10:03 AM

I never bought in to the rationale that marks was kept around because he was such a good practice guy. There had to be some better reason to spend the money on his contract when we had a bunch of big men on the squads he played on.

However, I was usually pleasantly surprised that when he got into a game, he actually showed some shooting skills and general usefullness.

But I was puzzled me this summer that the Spurs let him go when they didn't have many big men under contract. If he was OK to keep for years when we had a lot of big men, why not keep him now?

I've decided I will never figure out the FO personnel moves and will quit trying.

George Gervin's Afro
07-20-2006, 10:03 AM
I'm less worried about this, and not because I value defense less. I worry less about this because defense can be taught, if a player is coachable.

Larry Brown recommendeded him, and Pop and RC see potential in him, so I believe in him. He could be the biggest steal of the offseason. If not, it hasn't cost the Spurs much.

what supergirl said i agree with.. :wakeup

SenorSpur
07-20-2006, 10:05 AM

To round out that productivity scenario for the center position, the Spurs must now find someone who can rebound (like Nazr) and block shots (like Rasho).

furry_spurry
07-20-2006, 10:06 AM
it's hard to understand what you are getting at with a lot of your posts.
Missing the original poster's joke entirely. He wasn't talking about basketball at all.

I don't know how to make the joke any clearer?

Kori Ellis
07-20-2006, 10:07 AM
I never bought in to the rationale that marks was kept around because he was such a good practice guy. There had to be some better reason to spend the money on his contract when we had a bunch of big men on the squads he played on.

However, I was usually pleasantly surprised that when he got into a game, he actually showed some shooting skills and general usefullness.

But I was puzzled me this summer that the Spurs let him go when they didn't have many big men under contract. If he was OK to keep for years when we had a lot of big men, why not keep him now?

I've decided I will never figure out the FO personnel moves and will quit trying.

My summary is:

Good practice guy.

Good cheerleader.

Very close to Tim/Manu.

Gets hurt very easily.

SenorSpur
07-20-2006, 10:12 AM
My summary is:

Good practice guy.

Good cheerleader.

Very close to Tim/Manu.

Gets hurt very easily.

Because he was fairly productive during short stints during the season, I really thought Pop would have "bit the bullet" and used Marks in spot duty to guard Dirk during the WCSF. I thought his length and quickness may have been useful in short situations. Plus he could "shoot the rock so you wouldn't necessarily lose out on offense. Probably a pipe dream on my part, though.

leemajors
07-20-2006, 10:41 AM
Missing the original poster's joke entirely. He wasn't talking about basketball at all.

I don't know how to make the joke any clearer?

sorry, didn't realize this was a foreskin issue. :spin

strangeweather
07-20-2006, 12:37 PM
And had he gone through training camp, it may have been true.
Plus, Nazr wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, basketball IQ-wise.

It's certainly no lock that Butler will be a good defender, but the kid is 21, so it seems like a pretty good gamble to take.

Slinkyman
07-20-2006, 11:22 PM
Thought i'd add this from Bucher's chat, don't know if it's been posted:

Jim (SA): I just heard the Knicks aren't going to match for Jackie Butler. How does this help the Spurs?

SportsNation Ric Bucher: With Nazr and Rasho gone, they needed some size. Butler is the right price and athletic. I would expect you'll see the
Spurs go to a smaller lineup, though, that has Duncan playing center. It's the way of the league and it's the lineup they used for most of the playoffs.

Rummpd
07-20-2006, 11:24 PM
ALL GOOD with the bench plans! = TRUST in POP and Spurs to get number 4 NEXT YEAR!