View Full Version : Red Sox accomplish what Babe Ruth did 90 yrs ago

Jimcs50
07-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Beckett shuts down punchless Royals
Story Tools:
Print Email Blog This
Associated Press
Posted: 14 hours ago

BOSTON (AP) - Not since Babe Ruth was pitching for Boston had the Red Sox won a pair of games like this.

Josh Beckett held the hapless Kansas City Royals to four hits over eight innings and Manny Ramirez homered on Wednesday, leading Boston to its second consecutive 1-0 victory.
"Has that ever happened here?" asked Royals coach Buddy Bell, well aware of Fenway Park's history of high-scoring, no-lead-is-safe slugfests.

Not for a long time.

The last time the Red Sox won two straight 1-0 games at Fenway was 1916, :wow when the ballpark was only 4 years old and Boston was on its way to its second World Series title in a row. Ruth beat the New York Yankees on June 22 and Ernie Shore edged the Philadelphia Athletics on June 23, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

"Ninety years, huh?" said Beckett, who agreed to a $30 million, three-year contract extension that was announced after the game. "Mark Redman pitched a great game. There's no way he deserved to lose."

A day after two Red Sox rookies combined to one-hit the Royals, Beckett (12-5) struck out seven and walked none to join Toronto's Roy Halladay as the AL's only 12-game winners. Beckett, who hit two batters with pitches, retired his first six hitters before Angel Berroa doubled to start the third and end the Royals' streak of 29 consecutive outs without a hit.

After the game, Red Sox manager Terry Francona joked that Beckett got the extension in the fifth inning. His deal includes a club option for 2010 that could bring the total value to $40 million.

"It is something that has definitely been weighing on me this week," Beckett said. "Nice to get it over with and move on."

Jonathan Papelbon, who pitched the ninth on Tuesday night after Jon Lester threw eight innings of one-hit ball, got three outs for his 29th save. With a runner on second, Papelbon retired Berroa on a shallow popup to end the four-hitter.

Redman (6-5) allowed just one run and seven hits with nine strikeouts in eight innings - yet his six-game winning streak came to an end. He threw 123 pitches for his first complete game since May 2005, but Kansas City couldn't avoid a three-game sweep.

"It was wasted," said Bell, whose team has the worst record (32-62) in baseball. "Three good pitching performances and we wasted them."

According to Elias, the last consecutive 1-0 games at Fenway came in 1961, when Cleveland beat the Red Sox on May 17 and Boston shut out Detroit a day later.

Ramirez homered on the first pitch of the fourth inning to pass Hall of Famer Bobby Doerr for sixth on the team's all-time list with 224. Counting his time in Cleveland, Ramirez has 460 career homers.

"I can't even say it was a mistake. It was a good pitch that he hit," Redman said. "You can look at it as being frustrated, but we're right in it."

Ramirez also made a backhanded, tumbling catch on Paul Phillips' sinking liner to end the fifth inning. The Royals also threatened in the eighth, when David DeJesus doubled to left with one out and was at third when Doug Mientkiewicz flied out.

Notes:
It was the second time in Beckett's last 10 starts that he didn't give up a homer. ... Royals CF Joey Gathright went 0-for-3 with three strikeouts and has two hits in his last 19 at-bats. ... David Ortiz bunted safely against a shift in the first inning. It was his second bunt single of the year; the other one came on April 23 at Toronto. ... Boston LHP David Wells, on the disabled list since May 27 with a right knee bruise, threw 45 pitches in a simulated game against Wily Mo Pena and Alex Cora. "I've got to get my work in," Wells said. He's scheduled to pitch another simulated game in Seattle this weekend.

Jimcs50
07-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Young arms have kept Red Sox on top
Story Tools:
Print Email Blog This Subscribe
Dayn Perry / Special to FOXSports.com
Posted: 12 hours ago

Although the Boston Red Sox's lead in the AL East has been slipping in a hurry, they're still on pace for 98 wins and their first division title since 1995.

The Red Sox's success this season is mostly the result of David Ortiz, Manny Ramirez, Mike Lowell, Kevin Youkilis and the rest of their potent offense (they rank third in the AL in runs scored). However, another vital component has been the contributions of Boston's rookie pitchers.
Coming into 2006, Boston figured to lean heavily on veteran stalwarts such as Josh Beckett, Matt Clement, David Wells, Keith Foulke and Julian Tavarez. Instead, those five hurlers have combined for a 5.65 ERA this season and spent a cumulative 160 days on the disabled list (and that's not counting Tavarez's 10-game suspension in April). Those shortfalls placed a greater onus on Boston's young arms, and, fortunately for Sox partisans, their young arms have responded in tremendous fashion.

Jonathan Papelbon, Jon Lester, Manny Delcarmen and Craig Hansen — rookies all — have teamed up for 124 innings and a 2.25 ERA. The greatest of these, of course, is Papelbon. The Sox's closer this season has worked 47 innings, whiffed 48, walked only eight, given up only 27 hits and posted an ERA of 0.56. He's on pace to work 80 frames this year, and if that ERA holds up it will be the best mark in baseball history for a pitcher working at least 80 innings. (Incidentally, second place would belong to Tim Keefe and his 0.86 ERA from way back yonder in 1880.) Papelbon is also on target to rather easily break Kazuhiro Sasaki's 2000 record for saves by a rookie (37).

To etch Papelbon's dominance in sharper relief, let's compare his projected numbers from this season to some of the great closer campaigns in history:

Great Closer Campaigns in History
Closer IP ERA Saves K BB Opp. OPS
Jonathan Papelbon ('06)* 80.0 0.56 45 80 13 .435
Dennis Eckersley ('92) 80.0 1.91 51 93 11 .548
Rollie Fingers ('81) 78.0 1.04 28 61 13 .512
Eric Gagne ('03) 82.1 1.20 55 137 20 .375
Rich Gossage ('77) 133.0 1.62 26 151 49 .503
Trevor Hoffman ('98) 73.0 1.48 53 86 21 .461
Mariano Rivera ('05) 78.1 1.38 43 80 18 .465
John Smoltz ('03) 64.1 1.12 45 73 8 .511
Bruce Sutter ('77) 107.1 1.34 31 129 23 .502

It's not an exhaustive list, but, as you can see, Papelbon is cobbling together one of the great closer seasons in the annals of the sport. Taking into account all elements of pitching game, Gagne's 2003 campaign was probably tops, but Papelbon has a case. It's a special season no matter how you massage the numbers.

Still, the Sox's rookie pitching corps boasts more than just Papelbon. Jon Lester was called up on June 10 because of the injuries of David Wells and the ineffectiveness of David Pauley. Since then, Lester has made seven starts for Boston with a 2.70 ERA and 33 strikeouts in 37.1 innings. Lester's control needs work, but those are common straits for a hard-throwing young lefty. Going forward, his fastball-cutter-curve arsenal should afford him continued success. With Wells and Clement still sidelined and with Tim Wakefield's back acting up, the Sox will rely on Lester down the stretch.

In the bullpen, there's Manny Delcarmen and Craig Hansen. Delcarmen this season has worked 27.2 innings this season with a 3.25 ERA and a 3.0 strikeout-to-walk ratio, and he just recently ended a streak of eight outings in which allowed neither a run nor a walk. Delcarmen underwent Tommy John surgery in 2003, but his velocity and command are better than their pre-operation levels. In the minors, Delcarmen battled control problems from time to time, but in 2006 he's been stingy with the walks without compromising his stuff.

As for Hansen, he's just getting acclimated to the majors. Before Papelbon assumed the role, Hansen, a product of St. John's University in New York, was regarded as Boston's closer of the future. His ERA stands at 4.20, but it's been on a steady downward trend since an initial rough outing. Hansen's fastball approaches triple digits, and he cultivated a closer's mentality during his college days. Boston hoped to have him pitch high-leverage innings down the stretch last season, but a tired arm in September snuffed out those plans. Still, Hansen's command and classic power arsenal should make him an excellent setup man at the highest level. Once he logs more innings, expect that ERA to plummet. He'll be used in more and more critical situations as the season deepens.

Overall, it is, as mentioned, the offense that's ferrying the Red Sox toward their fourth consecutive postseason berth, but without the bestowals of four rookie pitchers, they'd be lagging the Yankees by a comfortable margin right now. It's received wisdom that high-payroll, perennial contenders are loath to rely on rookies to such a degree, but Terry Francona, Theo Epstein and the rest of the Red Sox have benefited from giving the ball to these rooks and letting them do their thing.

Melmart1
07-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Yeah we were talking about this on the Sox board I post at. It's a helluva accomplishment and this Sox team seems to be just that... a TEAM. They play together well and it seems to me that all year, when the pitching sucked the bats carried them. When the bats are quiet, the pitching carries them. The chemistry is just awesome.

By locking up Beckett, they have a future potential ace in the rotation to replace Curt, who I think might pitch two more years, maybe three then retire.

Paps has been lights out and really came out of nowhere. The kid is the real deal. The staff just looks great overall. I can even deal with Tavarez, who I hated since he was a Cardinal.

Jimcs50
07-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Yeah we were talking about this on the Sox board I post at. It's a helluva accomplishment and this Sox team seems to be just that... a TEAM. They play together well and it seems to me that all year, when the pitching sucked the bats carried them. When the bats are quiet, the pitching carries them. The chemistry is just awesome.

By locking up Beckett, they have a future potential ace in the rotation to replace Curt, who I think might pitch two more years, maybe three then retire.

Paps has been lights out and really came out of nowhere. The kid is the real deal. The staff just looks great overall. I can even deal with Tavarez, who I hated since he was a Cardinal.

Tavarez sucks. Every time he comes in, I know he will give up the lead or let the other team extend the lead. I want them to cut the jerk.