PDA

View Full Version : Miguel Tejada heading to the Astros???

MoSpur
07-20-2006, 12:26 PM
Mum's the word
As a policy, Astros general manager Tim Purpura doesn't confirm or deny trade rumors. For that reason and Major League Baseball's rules against tampering, Purpura would not say if he is back in talks with Baltimore about a potential trade for All-Star shortstop Miguel Tejada.

"We're talking to every club out there that can help us improve our ballclub," Purpura said. "To talk about specific situations, I can't."

Asked for his priority heading into the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, Purpura didn't mince words.

"One, I'd like this club to perform more consistently," he said. "That's our No. 1 objective, to get this club producing and winning together. From there, obviously you have to look at what opportunities come up, what makes sense, and how do you improve your ballclub.

"Hopefully with ( Aubrey) Huff on board, we've improved ourselves offensively. The challenge offensively becomes where. If you add another piece, where do you add it? Pitching-wise, I think we're in fairly good shape (in the rotation). We have great starters. We just have to get consistently good performances out of them. I think that's the consistency I've talked about. You can't piece all the pieces together to put together a number of good ballgames in a row."

One obstacle in the way of acquiring Tejada would be the Orioles' desire to receive major league talent in return (likely three players), so the Astros likely would weaken themselves at other spots to receive a run producer who could help the struggling offense.

"That's the real challenge," Purpura said. "If you make a trade, I think your objective should be to improve your ballclub. If you're improving one area and hurting two other areas, then you have to question whether you're really improving your ballclub or not. You have to look at all the pieces, not just a single piece."

Big Pimp_21
07-20-2006, 02:29 PM
Give them Willy T, Adam Everett, and Lidge for Tejada.

That way, they get a replacement SS, a young guy w/ speed for the OF, and a throw in who used to be "lights out".

MoSpur
07-20-2006, 02:36 PM

That way, they get a replacement SS, a young guy w/ speed for the OF, and a throw in who used to be "lights out".

I like giving up Willie T and Adam, but not Lidge. He was in a slump, but I am sure he will bounce back.

T Park
07-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Until Aaron Miles comes up to bat again.

Das Texan
07-20-2006, 08:01 PM
I think you would almost have to see one of Buchholz or Nieve included. Everett would be a given.

The other piece(s) would be up in the air.

Perhaps a Willy T, maybe a Jason Lane, maybe even a Morgan Ensberg

leemajors
07-21-2006, 11:53 PM
and the stros continue to make mediocre pitchers look like world beaters. i like how nieve looks, they should try and use him more in middle relief, or even start him if bucholz keeps giving it up bad.

Ninja-Defense
07-24-2006, 01:41 AM

This trade scenario isn't bad but I'd hate to give up on Lidge just yet. Also, the Orioles already have CF Cory Patterson who is having a decent year (he's up there in stolen bases) so they probably wouldn't care too much about getting Wily T.

I still like Everett as our every day SS so I think the trade package should include something like: Ensberg, Lane, and Buckholz OR Ensberg, Lane, and Wheeler.

Wth Lance injuring his groin on Sunday I think 'Stros have to at least do their best to nab Tejada cuz time's running out!

MoSpur
07-24-2006, 11:44 AM
ASTROS SUMMMARY

On the trade front
Astros general manager Tim Purpura spent much of his time Sunday in discussions with his scouts regarding the trade front. As a policy, he doesn't publicly discuss specific trade rumors and adheres to Major League Baseball's tampering rules.

COLOR=DarkRed]Garamond]But it's clear the Astros haven't given up hope of acquiring Baltimore Orioles shortstop Miguel Tejada. Contrary to published reports, however, a top National League official told the Chronicle that the Astros haven't discussed top pitching prospect Jason Hirsh in any talks with the Orioles regarding Tejada.[/[/COLOR][/B]

Asked about the trade front, Purpura reiterated his desire to make the Astros better.

"We're working hard to improve the club," he said late Sunday night.

The Astros have expressed interest in Tejada and several other offensive players and lefthanded pitchers.

MajorMike
07-24-2006, 12:03 PM
Astorbe will go into sell mode in another couple weeks.

Ninja-Defense
07-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Astorbe will go into sell mode in another couple weeks.

Damn, I was thinking that too...But only if they're unable to get that crucial other bat, like Tejada...Oh well, as they say, wait till next year!

violentkitten
07-25-2006, 10:54 PM
about time we get try to get some fucking hitting

MoSpur
07-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Last night's game was so hard to watch. Roger Clemens was doing a great job once again. Not one run was scored though. Not one. Pathetic.

johngateswhiteley
07-26-2006, 03:59 PM
ASTROS SUMMMARY

On the trade front
Astros general manager Tim Purpura spent much of his time Sunday in discussions with his scouts regarding the trade front. As a policy, he doesn't publicly discuss specific trade rumors and adheres to Major League Baseball's tampering rules.

COLOR=DarkRed]Garamond]But it's clear the Astros haven't given up hope of acquiring Baltimore Orioles shortstop Miguel Tejada. Contrary to published reports, however, a top National League official told the Chronicle that the Astros haven't discussed top pitching prospect Jason Hirsh in any talks with the Orioles regarding Tejada.[/[/COLOR][/B]

Asked about the trade front, Purpura reiterated his desire to make the Astros better.

"We're working hard to improve the club," he said late Sunday night.

The Astros have expressed interest in Tejada and several other offensive players and lefthanded pitchers.

...i went to college with Jason Hirsh. the kid is an animal! i was really looking forward to him playing on my favorite team....but Tejada would be nice.

MajorMike
07-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Last night's game was so hard to watch. Roger Clemens was doing a great job once again. Not one run was scored though. Not one. Pathetic.

SELL SELL SELL

sandman
07-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Local sports talk radio has this trade involving some of the better prospects at AAA/AA as well. Astros are known for moving prospects along slowly, and no doubt there are some such as Hirsch, Patton or Pence would be considered much closer to getting into the Show in another organization.

Basically the speculations have been that it would be Everett, Buccholz and Burke from the big club, and some combo of these three prospects as well.

I don't think that the club wants to get rid of Burke because he is a catalyst and they are probably not going to keep Wilson around next year, hopefully giving Burke the playing time he deserves.

Mo' is being talked about in a trade with the Padres based on their need and the fact that Huff is playing well, but we are renting Huff and Mo' had an awful month before he played hurt for another month, so he is damaged goods right now.

The saving grace of the club is that they have a deep farm system, with at least 4 pitchers at Ruund Rock with decent MLB experience. The bad part is that they are reluctant to trade away those prospects OR move them up to the bigs.

IMHO, there is no move made and we wobble to .500 ball this year. Maybe next year we can debut some more 27 year old rookies.

T Park
07-27-2006, 03:16 PM
Jayson Stark today on ESPNEWS said the Astros have restarted efforts in the last 24 hours to try and get Tejada.

If they got him, IMO, they will be close for the wild card again.....

If the Astros weren't in the Cardinals division, they would be my second favorite team, they seem like a great group of guys, very Spurs esque, and my favorite player outside of any Cardinal is definately Lance Berkman, a born and bred Texan, how could you not like that! :)

MoSpur
07-27-2006, 03:19 PM
I do hope they get Miguel. They need a big bat. They need any type of batting for all that matters.

leemajors
07-27-2006, 03:40 PM
Jayson Stark today on ESPNEWS said the Astros have restarted efforts in the last 24 hours to try and get Tejada.

If the Astros weren't in the Cardinals division, they would be my second favorite team, they seem like a great group of guys, very Spurs esque, and my favorite player outside of any Cardinal is definately Lance Berkman, a born and bred Texan, how could you not like that! :)

that and he eats ribs several times a week.

sandman
07-27-2006, 09:23 PM

Who doesn't like Fat Elvis?? :lol

Last game I went to this year was against the Twins and got to sit in the last luxury box down the first base side. Watching the "Big Puma" run down the line to first makes you wonder how a Rice Geek could be such a good hitter. :lol

leemajors
07-27-2006, 10:25 PM
i think it's too late even if they did trade for tejada.

Das Texan
07-28-2006, 01:09 AM
i think it's too late even if they did trade for tejada.

they are basically 6 games out of the wild card.

plenty of time to make up ground, especially with nobody wanting to take it.

leemajors
07-28-2006, 08:45 AM
they are basically 6 games out of the wild card.

plenty of time to make up ground, especially with nobody wanting to take it.

there is plenty of time, but losing to the team with the lead sure doesn't help.