PDA

View Full Version : Changes in College Football Rules

degenerate_gambler
07-20-2006, 02:11 PM
If you've not heard there are several rules changes in college football that we'll see this year. Here are 4 that jumped out at me:

1. No more tinted eyeshields. So no more Darth Vader's staring at us. This was a favorite outfit of A. Peterson and several QB's around the country as well as pretty much the whole Miami 'Canes team. Their main reason for the rule change is a QB wearing an eyeshield is at an advantage because LB's & DB's cannot read his eyes. Clear eye shields will be permitted.

2. When the ball is kicked off, the game clock starts when the ball is kicked, and not when it is first touched by the receiving team. Main reason is to shorten the game. But this will be of significance if, say Team A kicks off with under 11-12 seconds left in a game. Instead of Team B getting one or two plays off at the end of the game, they may not get any.

3. Re: Instant Replay...If a team wants a play reviewed, a coach must call a TO first. If the play is reviewed and overturned then the TO is given back to the team. But they lose the TO if the play isn't reversed. There is a huge grey area regarding all of this though...what constitutes a reviewable play and what doesn't? If a coach calls TO and the ref considers the play non-reviewable, the team is charged a TO. The question in all of this is will a referee be able to communicate to a coach which plays are reviewable quick enough before they potentially waste a TO or the opposing team lines up and runs a play quickly?

4. Kickers must now use a one inch tee instead of the two inch tee for all kicks. The rationale behind this is an attempt to lessen the number of touchbacks and add more excitement to the game by increasing the number of returns.

Brutalis
07-23-2006, 10:24 AM
I don't understand... I don't think a game was too long to begin with. Now after years and years they change the kickoff rule?

Stern have anything to do with this?