PDA

View Full Version : Elson not expected to be matched- ESPN

stu scotts eye
07-20-2006, 05:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2525437

Denver was expected to let the deadline pass at midnight Thursday without matching San Antonio's two-year, $6 million offer to Elson, who proved invaluable when Nene was sidelined last season.

jman3000
07-20-2006, 05:52 PM
vbookie = chaching

can't say i'm exstatic... but he's the guy we were going after... so i'm glad the spurs got their man.......

ChumpDumper
07-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Is this a story from the future?

ABDENOUR POWER
07-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Over half the MLE on Elson. Wow. :lol

stu scotts eye
07-20-2006, 05:54 PM

No

spurschick
07-20-2006, 05:54 PM

And do they have rain there?

timvp
07-20-2006, 05:55 PM
This looks like an AP report. I wouldn't put much stock it it.

If it's true ... :pctoss

ChumpDumper
07-20-2006, 05:55 PM
NoLook at the wording.

timvp
07-20-2006, 05:56 PM

Yeah tell me about it. This is the dumbest thing Pop has done since he traded for Charles Smith.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-20-2006, 05:56 PM
Does that story have ANYTHING to do with any updated news? Cuz I'm stumped.

ChumpDumper
07-20-2006, 05:57 PM
And do they have rain there?Stillsuits....

http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/dvd/dvd-dune-fremen.jpg

Kori Ellis
07-20-2006, 05:58 PM
Denver was expected to let the deadline pass at midnight Thursday

From the wording you can't tell if it's really any news:lol

Even if it was proper and said "Denver is expected" then that's still not news.

Mr. Body
07-20-2006, 06:01 PM
It wouldn't be any big surprise if he wasn't matched. We've been trying to convince ourselves he would be for the last week.

Sadly, we'll have to look for a young SF with trades. Unlikely.

Doc Jerome
07-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Can't say I'm happy with either of these acquisitions. These guys will have to earn my confidence. I guess Spurs thought they were looking at greener pastures, . . . we'll see soon enough.
Stay tuned. :fro

Bruno
07-20-2006, 06:03 PM

The length of the contract is important too, $6M/2 years isn't a bad deal for a player like elson.

spurschick
07-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Stillsuits....

http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/dvd/dvd-dune-fremen.jpg

Tell me of your homeworld Usul...

timvp
07-20-2006, 06:06 PM
The length of the contract is important too, $6M/2 years isn't a bad deal for a player like elson.

Any contract for over the minimum is bad for a player like Elson. Detroit got Flip Murray for $3M/2 years. Granted Murray isn't that good of a basketball player but his stock has to be higher than the Nuggets' worst player.

ducks
07-20-2006, 06:07 PM
well one thing is after next year half the mle guy has an expiring contract......

Bruno
07-20-2006, 06:08 PM
Any contract for over the minimum is bad for a player like Elson. Detroit got Flip Murray for $3M/2 years. Granted Murray isn't that good of a basketball player but his stock has to be higher than the Nuggets' worst player.

Elson is a center.
There are few centers and teams need centers: they are expensive, it's the market law. Blame it on the capitalism.

Kori Ellis
07-20-2006, 06:09 PM

In the NBA, you pay out the ass for "tall". That's life.

timvp
Andreas Glyniadakis > Francisco Elson
Jelani McCoy > Francisco Elson
Jamal Sampson > Francisco Elson
Ken Johnson > Francisco Elson

ro_50
In the NBA, you pay out the ass for "tall". That's life.

Tall and let's not forget his key strength: 6 FOULS.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-20-2006, 06:10 PM
The Bulls/Nuggets trade is officially done. (http://aol.nba.com/bulls/news/smith_trade_060721.html) So now have Elson's chances of being matched have gone up? Or is this article not a complete phony?

picnroll
07-20-2006, 06:11 PM
What's the difference. Spurs biggest challenge in the West is Suns and Mavs. Nobody they could get at the C position was going to make a difference because they wouldn't see the floor. The answer is still out there and affordable. Woods.

Kori Ellis
07-20-2006, 06:12 PM

Come on now. I don't like him either, but Jelani McCoy?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-20-2006, 06:12 PM
Now that's not nice. :nope

timvp
07-20-2006, 06:13 PM
Come on now. I don't like him either, but Jelani McCoy?

McCoy off the crack is better than Elson. Sign him for the minimum, put him in a 12-step program and he can put up 6 and 6 for 1/12th of what you are paying Elson.

texasqb2
07-20-2006, 06:16 PM

you're going to be eating your words bro.....like i said earlier, I trust RC/Pop more than I do you

Walton Buys Off Me
07-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Yeah tell me about it. This is the dumbest thing Pop has done since he traded for Charles Smith.

Or since he handed the series to Dallas by playing smallball, which ironically, has now led us to chasing after Francisco Elson.

timvp
07-20-2006, 06:23 PM
you're going to be eating your words bro.....like i said earlier, I trust RC/Pop more than I do you

Cool. I'm sure you do.

I've watched Elson suck in the NBA. I've watched Elson suck in summer leagues (with no Spurs scouts in sight).

I don't want you compaining to me when Elson sucks.

Thanks.

dknights411
07-20-2006, 06:27 PM
C'mon, the least we could do is give Elson a chance with the Spurs you know.

Walton Buys Off Me
07-20-2006, 06:27 PM
timvp also claims that Noel Felix is NBA material- apparently 29 NBA GMs see it differently.

Hook Dem
07-20-2006, 06:29 PM
To coin a phrase from Bruce Bowen: "It is what it is"!

exstatic
timvp also claims that Noel Felix is NBA material- apparently 29 NBA GMs see it differently.
All it takes is one to see it otherwise, and he's an NBA player.

ChumpDumper
No other GM can even think about Noel right now -- he's under contract -- so I don't know where that's coming from.

ducks
noel is with the sonics YOU FOOL

Kori Ellis
07-20-2006, 06:32 PM
No other GM can even think about Noel right now -- he's under contract -- so I don't know where that's coming from.

Three teams have contacted his agent about him this week. I know that his agent can just say he's under contract, but it's good to know that if the Sonics have no room for him that he will still have a place in the league.

furry_spurry
07-20-2006, 06:32 PM
Well- the Spurs won't be signing any more players--that makes 14. Some guys will get camp invites, but it will be hard to convince the Spurs to carry more than 13 or 14 players. The moves left involve trading Barry- or buying out or trading Williams. That is all.

Kori Ellis
07-20-2006, 06:35 PM
Well- the Spurs won't be signing any more players--that makes 14. Some guys will get camp invites, but it will be hard to convince the Spurs to carry more than 13 or 14 players. The moves left involve trading Barry- or buying out or trading Williams. That is all.

True. Hopefully they move Barry and Williams by summer's end for someone younger.

ChumpDumper
07-20-2006, 06:35 PM
Three teams have contacted his agent about him this week. I know that his agent can just say he's under contract, but it's good to know that if the Sonics have no room for him that he will still have a place in the league.Ok, they can think about him....

Kori Ellis
07-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Ok, they can think about him....

:lol I wasn't mentioning that to correct you. I was just mentioning it.

ChumpDumper
07-20-2006, 06:37 PM
Well, we never thought they would add Mel to the roster last season or pay the tax either.

If someone impresses in camp, who knows?

We'll still be working the trade angle though.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-20-2006, 06:40 PM
Timvp is way off track with this possible signing :smokin

Bruno
07-20-2006, 06:42 PM
Oberto will be traded :
Spurs have 6 bigs under contracts : Duncan/Bonner/Horry/Oberto/Elson/Butler.
Usualy, there are 5 bigs on the active list and I don't see Spurs having a guy paid more than $2M on the inactive list.

Barry will likely be traded too.

furry_spurry
07-20-2006, 06:49 PM
I noticed that- no Sean Marks minimum guy on that list. They just got 3 of those guys and the other 2 aren't going anywhere. He is the only one they would consider trading. They could keep them all since they are paying so much less per player, but who doesn't suit up from that group?

waly.mg
07-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Oh yes

The only one center who know the Spurs system will be traded?

No Way, In that list Fabri is 3rd or 4th max, if not starter and second

strangeweather
07-20-2006, 06:52 PM
I noticed that- no Sean Marks minimum guy on that list. They just got 3 of those guys and the other 2 aren't going anywhere. He is the only one they would consider trading. They could keep them all since they are paying so much less per player, but who doesn't suit up from that group?
I suppose it could be Bonner if he turns out to suck, but why trade for him if you're not even going to keep him active? Horry may fall out of the rotation, but he's a nice guy to bring in for short bursts. They've got to be projecting Oberto as inactive if they can't move him.

T Park
07-20-2006, 07:09 PM
We get it.

We get it.

You don't like him.

The childish hate of the guy has gone freakin overboard.

LaMarcus Bryant
07-20-2006, 07:22 PM
JR Reid > Elson ?

LakerHater
07-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Hey I thought you couldn't trade a player twice in a month, I thought you had to wait for 2 months??

RogerIsEatingASandwich
07-20-2006, 07:39 PM
I hope this isn't true. Elson?!....I don't get it.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-20-2006, 07:52 PM
Cool. I'm sure you do.

I've watched Elson suck in the NBA. I've watched Elson suck in summer leagues (with no Spurs scouts in sight).

I don't want you compaining to me when Elson sucks.

Thanks.

I find it hard to belive that teh front office extended this offer without having reviewed days of tape on the guy. Maybe just maybe the Spurs saw something in all that time he got starting when CAmby was hurt last year.

Hes an infinitely better option at the 5 then your lovechild, Evans, and Duncan doesnt want extensive minutes at the 5.

$3 million for a 7 footer with starting experience is not the end of the world regardless of your hyperbole.

Solid D
07-20-2006, 07:59 PM
A Chip Engelland Special

navarat
07-20-2006, 08:00 PM
I think It's time to stop whining, no matter what we say he's the guy we gonna end up with, and I don't think he's really that bad,actually I think he'll be a usefull player, I whould prefer to have someone else that was on the market but we couldn't get them, I think It's time stop "hate Francisco Elson" threads, I some of the fans are overreacting.

CubanMustGo
07-20-2006, 08:08 PM
Hey, someone has to sit on the end of the bench for every team. And we lost the Kiwi earlier today.

dknights411
07-20-2006, 08:11 PM
I think It's time to stop whining, no matter what we say he's the guy we gonna end up with, and I don't think he's really that bad,actually I think he'll be a usefull player, I whould prefer to have someone else that was on the market but we couldn't get them, I think It's time stop "hate Francisco Elson" threads, I some of the fans are overreacting.

Overreacting seems to describe the entire offseason on this board. :rolleyes

TwoHandJam
07-20-2006, 08:28 PM
I actually don't think Elson is that bad a player. He just needs to fill his role which will be the enforcer. Mark Bryant, Kevin Willis, - Pop has always had some muscle on the team to dish out good hard fouls when needed.

Elson is an NBA experienced 5 who will provide some toughness at that position for the few minutes Duncan isn't playing center. 2yrs/6M is very reasonable to get him as a stopgap while we groom Butler to take over the position.

BlueShark#6
07-20-2006, 08:33 PM
I am willing to give RC and Pop the benefit of the doubt. They know their sh!t when it comes to assembling championship teams.

T-Pain
07-20-2006, 08:39 PM
i think francisco elson has a lot of promise, he just hasnt been given the chance.

Doug Collins
07-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Not like Elson has to be an all-star or anything, just has to do as much as Rasho and Nazr which isnt alot. I dont like the guy either but shit it's not like he's going to have high expectations to live up to. For 2 years at 3 mil per im not that pissed off.

phxspurfan
07-20-2006, 08:44 PM
Oh yes

That took me 3 reads and I still dont understand what he was saying.

Doug Collins
07-20-2006, 09:05 PM

Since he could be argentinian he might be saying Oberto should be starting or at worst back up???? If so he's a fuckin idiot. Just ignore the post and move on. :elephant

spurster
07-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Don't be coy, timvp. Tell us what you really think of Elson.

spursmode
07-20-2006, 09:26 PM

Duh me understand perfectly. Him say basketball fun applesauce 2nd Friday but only fart trashcan vanilla third unless boom boom in the bends.

mattyc
07-20-2006, 09:30 PM
I actually don't think Elson is that bad a player. He just needs to fill his role which will be the enforcer. Mark Bryant, Kevin Willis, - Pop has always had some muscle on the team to dish out good hard fouls when needed.

Elson is an NBA experienced 5 who will provide some toughness at that position for the few minutes Duncan isn't playing center. 2yrs/6M is very reasonable to get him as a stopgap while we groom Butler to take over the position.
Agree with all that. Elson is a servicable bang/crash kind of guy that will work hard. Eventually Butler will hopefully be the man for the job but will have some teething problems along the way.

With Horry getting on and little other alternative, Elson will be okay.

Sway
07-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Im also ok with the Butler/Elson combo. We may not have upgraded our C rotation but it definitely did not get worse. Oh yeah and the Spurs have to pay them about half as much as our last C combo. What is there not to like...

Doug Collins
07-20-2006, 09:47 PM
Duh me understand perfectly. Him say basketball fun applesauce 2nd Friday but only fart trashcan vanilla third unless boom boom in the bends.

Hilarious.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-20-2006, 09:55 PM
IF Elson were Argentinian everyone would be pimping him as the next Wilt. :lol

All he has to do is be a thug and enforcer for our team. I'm with FWD on this pickup. I can tell you one thing - if anyone tries any of that shit Dallas pulled in the playoffs last year Elson would have knocked some Mavs trash the fuck out.

Kori Ellis
07-20-2006, 09:56 PM
I don't know where so many people got the impression that Elson is an enforcer. :wtf

Samr
07-20-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm still excited about (possibly) getting Elson. Yeah, we could have done better in terms of stats, but Pop and RC know what they want and what we need and we do need some frontcourt toughness, at a price that doesn't make you curse every bad minute they play.

All things considered, I think the Spurs will have made off very well in the off-season. We don't need a star at center; we need someone to fill the role, without complaints, and without demanding more than they'll get. Tony, Manu, and Tim will score our points. They will win our games. They will carry the team. It's kind of like the Bowen Effect: get someone who will fill the spot, defend when he needs to and score when he needs to, and above all, someone who will get out of the way of the Big Three.

Spurs wanted a bruiser, someone who can play physical and won't be a major liability on either end of the floor. They got Butler and now, hopefully, Elson. Makes sense to me.

Slinkyman
07-20-2006, 10:07 PM
I don't know where so many people got the impression that Elson is an enforcer. :wtf

I think it's because he called KG gay

Kori Ellis
07-20-2006, 10:09 PM
I think it's because he called KG gay

:lol

That's what I figured. I don't think he has an enforcer rep though. He's a little on the skinny side. He fouls sometimes, but not excessively or anything.

koopa
07-20-2006, 10:10 PM
Oh yes

if orberto is starting or coming off the bench as the 2nd string center, we might as well just throw away the season, i'd rather have rasho back then ever see this scrub play regular mins.......hell i rather have isiah thomas running the spurs then seeing orberto get regular mins

texasqb2
07-20-2006, 10:11 PM
Bring on Elson....welcome to the silver and black

Mijo
07-20-2006, 10:14 PM
He's not great but compared to what we got on a nightly basis from Rasho or Nazr, can he do any worse? These guys were paid alot of jack and hardly produced. If Elson or Bulter can at least match last years centers production, is it so bad? We don't get an upgrade but at least we get replacements at a somewhat reduced rate. Although I do believe we overpaid from both, apparently big men aren't cheap nowadays.

texasqb2
07-20-2006, 10:15 PM
and I really hope we get Barry, a lot of us just get caught up in statistics and trying to be great fantasy GMs, but a large part of being a great team is chemistry and having good people that are able to gel together. I like what Barry brings to this team and I hope we keep him around, but on the other hand if he does net us a player that can help us more, I am all about that, but I'd much rather trade Horry.

Slinkyman
07-20-2006, 10:17 PM

That's what I figured. I don't think he has an enforcer rep though. He's a little on the skinny side. He fouls sometimes, but not excessively or anything.

The few times i saw denver play he seemed like a jump shooter, not someone that posts up on the block like Butler or Tim.

shaggy17
07-20-2006, 10:53 PM
Kori, Elson is a guy who would put a piece of shit like Dirk on his ass if he tried any of that "drive to get a touch foul" bs! He is agressive and he would back up someone like Manu or Finley if someone gave them a cheapshot. We could use someone like that and Elson fits that profile.

Kori Ellis
07-20-2006, 10:56 PM
Kori, Elson is a guy who would put a piece of shit like Dirk on his ass if he tried any of that "drive to get a touch foul" bs! He is agressive and he would back up someone like Manu or Finley if someone gave them a cheapshot. We could use someone like that and Elson fits that profile.

Where do you get that?

Have you watched him?

He's skinny. Doesn't foul a lot. Doesn't bang. Doesn't mix it up.

Where are people getting that he's a badass?

I think Elson is probably going to be "okay" here, but he is what he is. And I don't think that's an enforcer. He's just a guy who can run the floor well, hit a couple jumpshots here and there, and grab a few boards.

csw225
07-20-2006, 10:58 PM
fabricio is the enforcer.

timvp
07-20-2006, 11:00 PM
:lol @ all the Elson homers.

The new myth is that Elson is some kind of an enforcer. That's pretty damn funny. The guy is actually on the softer side.

He hasn't had a flagrant foul in 2+ years. Yeah, what a hard ass enforcer :rolleyes

He fouled out a grand total of zero times last year. He fouls at a lower rate than Rasho or Nazr, so it's not like he lays the lumber at all.

He's a soft scrub who will begin the season as the worst opening day center in the NBA that I can remember. Just because he's about to be on the Spurs I don't know why everyone wants to homer out.

Guy is a scrub ... and is soft.

The sooner you admit it to yourself, the easier next season will be.

Tek_XX
07-20-2006, 11:04 PM
Could pop and the spurs really be going after such a bad player? He has to have some qualities that make us go after him.

Kori Ellis
07-20-2006, 11:04 PM
Could pop and the spurs really be going after such a bad player? He has to have some qualities that make us go after him.

He's okay.

He runs the floor, he rebounds "average", he can hit some jumpshots. He's inexpensive for a 7-footer.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
07-20-2006, 11:05 PM
Elson is a super scrub. As long as he doesn't turn the ball over and plays better in this years playoffs he'll be ok.....I guess.

Will He or Fabricio start?

csw225
07-20-2006, 11:09 PM
lets say it goes like this:
c-elson
pf-duncan
sf-bowen
sg-ginobili
pg-parker

c-oberto
pf-horry
sf-bonner or finley
sg-finley or barry
pg-udrih

barry/bonner
butler
vaughn
williams
melzer

is barry headed somewhere else before the season starts? if so, for what?

loveforthegame
07-20-2006, 11:14 PM
I'd like to know why we haven't heard anything either way. Isn't the time up?

Slinkyman
07-20-2006, 11:14 PM
IMO Butler is the back up to Elson not Oberto, Oberto is more of a PF without the PF game.

csw225
07-20-2006, 11:16 PM
ok well, duncan, elson, bonner, horry, butler, oberto is thin enough in my opinion with td and horry's health.

csw225
07-20-2006, 11:17 PM
so, i guess what im asking is brent barry going to get traded before the start of the season?

Mijo
07-20-2006, 11:18 PM
:lol @ all the Elson homers.

Elson productivity = Rasho productivity. With Duncan operating in the paint What more do we need than a few put backs and rebounds? Although Rasho stepped up offensively while Duncan was out but typically that's all we ask of our center since the Duncan era. Hime and Jackie are all we need till we play the Mavs and Pop decides to go small!

shaggy17
07-20-2006, 11:26 PM
Where do you get that?

Have you watched him?

He's skinny. Doesn't foul a lot. Doesn't bang. Doesn't mix it up.

Where are people getting that he's a badass?

I think Elson is probably going to be "okay" here, but he is what he is. And I don't think that's an enforcer. He's just a guy who can run the floor well, hit a couple jumpshots here and there, and grab a few boards.

Yes I have. I didnt say he is Ben Wallace part 2 but I have seen him be agressive and knock people on their ass! He is a "badass" compared to Rasho in terms of being agressive and doing all the little things! Doesnt bang??? Kori he is a physical defender that shouldnt even be questioned.

50 cent
07-20-2006, 11:29 PM
For the price, he's fine especially after the signing of Butler.

timvp is just a pessimistic dude. Didn't think we had a chance in hell to get Butler with such a low offer. Doesn't think Elson will be as good as Oberto. Give me a break. Oberto is fucking terrible. I would much rather have Elson.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-20-2006, 11:33 PM
:D

Score.

I just won 50 bucks. Timvp, make that check payable to...

Please_dont_ban_me
07-20-2006, 11:34 PM
On second thought, no checks. Cash or Money Order please.

koopa
07-20-2006, 11:35 PM
orberto is hot garbage, he'll never get regular mins in this league, butler will be the backup, i don't like elson at all but i'd rather see him play then orberto

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-20-2006, 11:52 PM
I've never seen Elson play dirty. I've seen him challenge guys at the rim though, which would be a nice change from the layup fest that was the Western Conference semis.

And while he hasn't gotten any flagrants, I seem to remember a few techs resulting from confrontations with opposing players.

He runs the floor, he rebounds "average", he can hit some jumpshots. He's inexpensive for a 7-footer.

So worst case we got a taller version of Malik Rose who won't have people going over his back for easy rebounds all the fucking time, for a fraction of the cost. Where's the problem again?

Please_dont_ban_me
07-20-2006, 11:53 PM
Elson's not a dirty player at all.

He will get under your skin though.

Quadzilla99
07-20-2006, 11:54 PM
Elson is skinny as hell, I would actually pick Dirk in a fight between those two. I mean you have got to be joking-Elson a physically imposing enforcer? Based on what?

Slinkyman
07-20-2006, 11:57 PM
Elson is skinny as hell, I would actually pick Dirk in a fight between those two. I mean you have got to be joking-Elson a physically imposing enforcer? Based on what?

So elson is too skinny and Butler is too fat, man there's no pleasing you.

Aggie Hoopsfan

Maybe he can borrow some of Butler's excess weight :lol

I'll give you credit, no one has more consistently bad takes than you. Dirk would lose a fight to a pre-schooler. You look up Charmin' in the dictionary and they've got a photo of Dirk and his street address.

Please_dont_ban_me

Wow.

Are you kidding?

Please_dont_ban_me
07-20-2006, 11:59 PM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/nba/2004/0430/photo/g_garnett_i.jpg

I'll take him over Dirk, and most centers in the league for that matter, any day.

Winnipeg_Spur
07-21-2006, 12:01 AM
Is it 100% official yet?

Quadzilla99
07-21-2006, 12:02 AM
I would pick Dirk yeah. That's how little I think of Elson. There would be a lot of slap punches though think LJ-Zo type of showdown. I don't know of any basis for calling Elson a tough guy other than he words with KG who's 6'11 220 anyways and backed down from Anthony Peeler. Neither Dirk or Elson is a tough, physical.

Please_dont_ban_me
i just waiting for timvp to turn the corner about elson.

the only problem is...i wont be able to fit his 400 posts in my sig

What's up with Aish in the sig?

Aggie Hoopsfan
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/nba/2004/0430/photo/g_garnett_i.jpg

I'll take him over Dirk, and most centers in the league for that matter, any day.

But, like oh my God, he's so skinny. He's like Linsay Lohan after a coke binge. And that Butler guy, he's fatter than Brittany at eight months.

We're doomed! [/Quadzilla 'Don't Call me Star' Jones]

Quadzilla99
07-21-2006, 12:04 AM
But, like oh my God, he's so skinny. He's like Linsay Lohan after a coke binge. And that Butler guy, he's fatter than Brittany at eight months.

We're doomed! [/Quadzilla 'Don't Call me Star' Jones]
So you're saying Elson is tough and physical? Or what are you saying? That KG is?

Please_dont_ban_me
07-21-2006, 12:04 AM
I would pick Dirk yeah. That's how little I think of Elson. There would be a lot of slap punches though think LJ-Zo type of showdown. I don't know of any basis for calling Elson a tough guy other than he words with KG who's 6'11 220 anyways and backed down from Anthony Peeler. Neither Dirk or Elson is a tough. physical player.

+ Dirk only throws blows at treadmills in the locker-room.

+ KG didn't retaliate because it was a big game, and both of them getting suspended would kill the Wolves and have little to no effect on the Kings (it was teh kings Peeler played for at the time, I think).

+ Elson did more than call KG gay. That's an oversimplification. He was very physical with KG. In fact, that's how I first noticed him. He was this nobody who was getting under KG's skin.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-21-2006, 12:07 AM
what about her? she is HOThttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/madrun.gif

I know this.

But I don't see many American people who know about her. What ethnicity are you?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-21-2006, 12:07 AM
So you're saying Elson is tough and physical? Or what are you saying? That KG is?

I'm saying you're a dumbass with all your "Butler is fat, Elson is skinny" shit. All you do is google player bios to come up with your takes. At least you're not quoting ESPN Insider all the time, but damn it gets old.

Elson did way more than call KG gay, and your whole "I'd take Dirk over him in a fight" shit proves you just don't know jack shit about the guy, so please refrain from posting.

Quadzilla99
07-21-2006, 12:10 AM
I'm saying you're a dumbass with all your "Butler is fat, Elson is skinny" shit. All you do is google player bios to come up with your takes. At least you're not quoting ESPN Insider all the time, but damn it gets old.

Elson did way more than call KG gay, and your whole "I'd take Dirk over him in a fight" shit proves you just don't know jack shit about the guy, so please refrain from posting.Wow I really care what you think. After all you are the Authority on all this stuff.

ace3g
07-21-2006, 12:11 AM
Is it 100% official yet?

well it is only 11:10 p.m. right now in Colorado so we still have 50 minutes

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-21-2006, 12:13 AM
Wow I really care what you think after all, you are the Authority on all this stuff.

Ouch, that really hurts. Like I said, if you don't know about a guy, quit going off his player bio or the first hit you get when you type the guy's name into Google.

Slinkyman
07-21-2006, 12:14 AM
well it is only 11:10 p.m. right now in Colorado so we still have 50 minutes

I think Denver is central time isn't it?

timvp
07-21-2006, 12:15 AM
timvp is just a pessimistic dude.

Mr. Believe is pessimistic? I'm just saying Elson sucks just like I said Rasho was going to suck and how Nazr wasn't as good as Spurs fans were hyping him.

Didn't think we had a chance in hell to get Butler with such a low offer.

Did anyone? Go back and look at the threads and tell me a poster who at first thought the Spurs had a chance. The Spurs themselves thought it was unlikely.

Plus, I was the guy who said the Spurs should offer Butler a contract in the first place. Go look up my arguments with whottt regarding the matter.

Doesn't think Elson will be as good as Oberto. Give me a break. Oberto is fucking terrible. I would much rather have Elson.

A year from now you'll be singing a different tune.

Watch.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-21-2006, 12:16 AM
first off im from good ol canadahttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smielephant.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smielephant.gif.

im east-indian http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smielephant.gif http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smielephant.gif

Ah, that explains it.

She's a little overrated but definately good looking.

Quadzilla99
07-21-2006, 12:16 AM
Ouch, that really hurts. Like I said, if you don't know about a guy, quit going off his player bio or the first hit you get when you type the guy's name into Google.So you would have us believe that you have done extensive scouting on every player in the league. Quit bullshitting people. Your expertise is a delusion of your own mind.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-21-2006, 12:18 AM
So you would have us believe that you have done extensive scouting on every player in the league. Quit bullshitting people. Your expertise is a delusion of your own mind.

I venture to say even Timvp, a notorious Elson hater, would pick him over Dirk in a fight.

timvp
07-21-2006, 12:33 AM
come on LJ....take a bite

I've stopped my hate on Elson for the summer. I think he sucks and the Spurs made a mistake but it's time to move on.

Now who should the Spurs trade Barry for . . .

strangeweather
07-21-2006, 12:38 AM
Now who should the Spurs trade Barry for . . .
Jumaine Jones.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-21-2006, 12:39 AM
Jumaine Jones.

Really?

If that's all we can get I'd rather keep Barry.

50 cent
07-21-2006, 09:37 AM
Mr. Believe is pessimistic? I'm just saying Elson sucks just like I said Rasho was going to suck and how Nazr wasn't as good as Spurs fans were hyping him.
So, we replaced our sucky center with a another sucky center that isn't as soft for less money? I can handle that.

Did anyone? Go back and look at the threads and tell me a poster who at first thought the Spurs had a chance. The Spurs themselves thought it was unlikely.
Link on the Spurs thinking it was unlikely? Why would they make the offer if they felt it was unlikely? I always felt that the Spurs knew something thanks to Larry Brown and Butler had stated that he wanted out of NY. Could the Spurs have offered more to save their fans some stress? Sure, but we all know how that goes being Spurs fans.

Plus, I was the guy who said the Spurs should offer Butler a contract in the first place. Go look up my arguments with whottt regarding the matter.
I gave you props on that. I'm excited about Butler.

A year from now you'll be singing a different tune.

Watch.
We'll just have to see. I would have been upset with just Elson, but I think the combination of the 2 will be just as good and probably better than Rasho and Nazr for MUCH cheaper. That's all we really needed.

Now we just need to go get a long 3 because I'm not confident that Melzer can just immediately step into that role.

Mr. Body
07-21-2006, 09:51 AM
Really?

If that's all we can get I'd rather keep Barry.

co-signed. If all we get for Jumaine Jones, keep Barry. Sheesh.

strangeweather
07-21-2006, 12:05 PM
co-signed. If all we get for Jumaine Jones, keep Barry. Sheesh.
Athletic, has ok size, decent 3pt shooter, decent defender, above-average rebounder for a perimeter guy, can steal the ball, can play PF when needed. Racked up a respectable 10 and 5 last year. No areas of the game that he dominates, but he's a pretty effective jack of all trades.

He's not a superstar and he's probably not going to get much better than he is now, but that seems like a pretty useful guy to me. He's 7 years younger than Barry, and should cost markedly less. What's the problem?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-21-2006, 12:08 PM
So you would have us believe that you have done extensive scouting on every player in the league. Quit bullshitting people. Your expertise is a delusion of your own mind.

Who said anything about extensive scouting? I've seen him play a couple of times, which is obviously more than your Google quoting ass has.

T Park
07-21-2006, 12:09 PM
So, we replaced our sucky center with a another sucky center that isn't as soft for less money? I can handle that.

Thats the way I've looked at it.

But, thats not a good thing to do this summer.

Mr. Body
07-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Athletic, has ok size, decent 3pt shooter, decent defender, above-average rebounder for a perimeter guy, can steal the ball, can play PF when needed. Racked up a respectable 10 and 5 last year. No areas of the game that he dominates, but he's a pretty effective jack of all trades.

He's not a superstar and he's probably not going to get much better than he is now, but that seems like a pretty useful guy to me. He's 7 years younger than Barry, and should cost markedly less. What's the problem?

I'm just not thrilled with him. If we can get him while retaining Barry, I'd be happy. Barry's a much smarter player.

I could be talked into it. I wouldn't mind JJ off the bench and will have to check his contract level.

T Park
07-21-2006, 12:13 PM

People act like Brent Barry actually did anything worth a shit last year.

strangeweather
07-21-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm just not thrilled with him. If we can get him while retaining Barry, I'd be happy. Barry's a much smarter player.
I like Barry, but we could stand to get younger, and we could stand to have someone with a little more size than he brings since our other sub in the swing positions is Finley, who's also more of a true SG.

I certainly wouldn't complain about trading Williams or Oberto for him.

I could be talked into it. I wouldn't mind JJ off the bench and will have to check his contract level.
He's an unrestricted free agent, and would have to be a sign and trade. I think he made $3M or so last year, and I doubt he has outplayed that figure.

timvp
07-21-2006, 08:12 PM

My problem is that there were better centers out there. Some of which could even be had for cheaper.

And plus, having sucky centers cost the Spurs last season. Unless you are fine with losing to the Mavs, I'd think you'd be for improving instead of status quo.

Link on the Spurs thinking it was unlikely?

Check the Express-News around the time the Spurs gave Butler the offer sheet. Every indication was that the Knicks were going to match.

Why would they make the offer if they felt it was unlikely?

A) Butler is worth the risk. He's the type of talent you are willing to wait on.

B) There really wasn't much else out there. The seven days you have to wait wasn't too huge considering the players the Spurs were looking at. I turns out that they only missed one, Jarron Collins, in the time it took for Denver and New York to decide.

I always felt that the Spurs knew something thanks to Larry Brown and Butler had stated that he wanted out of NY.

Link to where Butler said that? He never did.

The Spurs had a good scouting reports from LB and Dell Demps and they knew that perhaps the Knicks would let their third string center go, but there's no way that they could have been confident that they were going to get Butler. At best, they probably thought they had a 50/50 shot.

I gave you props on that. I'm excited about Butler.

Yeah so is my "pessimistic" azz. :lol

We'll just have to see. I would have been upset with just Elson, but I think the combination of the 2 will be just as good and probably better than Rasho and Nazr for MUCH cheaper. That's all we really needed.

I said I can live with Elson if the Spurs also get Butler. Spurs got 'em so now I think it was a good pull.

Now we just need to go get a long 3 because I'm not confident that Melzer can just immediately step into that role.

Good luck with that. Sounds like the Spurs see Richard Melzer as the answer.

Russ
07-21-2006, 08:32 PM
One question about Elson -- can he guard Nowitski? That seems to be the new benchmark.

Otherwise, he'll be like Nazr, Rasho and Oberto against Dallas -- on the bench.

And we all know that neither Oberto nor Butler can guard him.

T Park
07-22-2006, 02:31 AM
ood luck with that. Sounds like the Spurs see Richard Melzer as the answer.

Actually it looks like they are gonna look next year in the draft and FA, for that wing or long 3.

Williams looks to be a stop gap till then.