PDA

View Full Version : Jamal Lewis - Not Remorseful

PeterBurns
10-20-2004, 10:15 AM
Jamal Lewis allowed to continue dealing drugs

BALTIMORE, MD--Baltimore Ravens running back Jamal Lewis pleaded guilty in an Atlanta courthouse to using a cell phone to facilitate a drug transaction. In agreeing to the plea bargain, Lewis accepted a jail sentence of four to six months that will begin after the 2004 season ends. In addition to being able to play the full season without jail time, Judge Orinda Evans ruled that Lewis may continue to deal drugs until after the season.

“I’m just happy to get this over with and be able to move on with my life,” said Lewis. “I’ve made some mistakes and now I’m paying for them. Well, not now, but after the season. So I can do whatever I want until then. Let me just remind everyone that I never purchased any of the coke for myself. But if any of my teammates would like some, it’s all nice and legal for the duration of the season. Yes, that means you, coach Billick.”

Lewis praised Judge Evans for her leniency and understanding. He pointed out that the need to continue dealing drugs far outweighed any danger he may pose to the community.

“Look, we are in a tight division here. I can’t just be taken away from my team for the rest of the year,” said Lewis. “Judge Evans was right to let me play out the season, and she was really right to let me continue dealing drugs. It makes perfect sense. It’s something I really enjoy doing. It’s in my blood. Well, not any more, since I took that masking agent.”

Lewis’s lawyer, Don Samuel, called the ruling “fair” and claimed that his client had already paid his debt to society, even though he hasn’t served his jail term yet.

“My client showed up to his court date in good faith even though he had a lot to do that day,” said Samuel. “Plus, his reputation has been sullied. Judge Evans has made a fair and appropriate ruling here. Mr. Lewis should be able to deal drugs whenever he wants. These are the freedoms that our soldiers overseas are fighting to protect.”

Manuel painted a sympathetic picture of his client as someone that’s been through a lot of turmoil in the last several months. Lewis was arrested over a year ago and has endured having his name dragged through the mud ever since.

“It’s been a long and winding road for my client thus far. He has had to put up with a lot of aggravation and inconvenience,” said Manuel. “Believe me, he knows what he did was wrong. In fact, after the season’s over he will be traveling the nation lecturing children on the dangers of dealing drugs. He’ll also lecture them on how to plea to a lesser charge. That’s a skill that will help them in the real world—much more so than reading and writing.”

Lewis agreed. As a person who has been charged with conspiracy to deal coke, he knows first hand the consequences of dealing drugs.

“The kids need to know it’s the wrong thing to do,” said Lewis. “Even though it looks fun and exciting, and it is fun and exciting, it still comes at a price. In fact, I’d even go so far as to say that if you’re not a professional athlete, you shouldn’t bother committing crimes at all.”

The powerful running back has been praised by his teammates for his resilience and ability to overcome adversity. Just after the tough sentence was handed down, Lewis arrived to practice and ran roughshod over the defense. The tough-minded player has inspired his teammates to play harder.

“Man, when you think about what he’s going through right now, it’s hard to imagine. The guy’s facing jail time at the end of the season,” said linebacker Ray Lewis. “Sometimes the Lord puts obstacles in your path and you’ve got to have the ability to overcome those obstacles. Jamal has been able to do that and I admire him for it. I’ve been counseling him about it, since I personally got away with murder.”

Head Coach Brian Billick spoke about Lewis’s ability to put his drug conviction on the back burner while he focused solely on football. He also praised the judge’s ability to put the conviction on the back burner.

“Jamal is great at keeping himself focused. It’s amazing that he’s able to perform, and perform well, under such duress. He must be an incredibly strong person. I’d also like to commend Judge Evans. She understands how important Jamal is to our team. And the fact that the sentence is being suspended until after the playoffs shows how forward thinking that judge is. She’s obviously aware that we have no chance of making the playoffs.”

In order to celebrate the verdict, Lewis’s teammates organized a postgame party at a local Baltimore nightclub. Lewis, taking advantage of his temporary immunity, called his friends and treated everyone to some kick-ass narcotics.

“I’m just enjoying this while I still can,” he said. “I know that whenever we get knocked out of the playoffs, my drug dealing days are over. Playing a whole season with jail time hanging over your head is extremely difficult. I just thank my teammates and my family for supporting me. I’m the real victim here, but I’m not going to hang my head, especially since I’m benefiting from the most awesome plea bargain in history.”