PDA

View Full Version : The San Antonio Silver Dancers have arrived...

milkyway21
07-20-2006, 09:22 PM
...in the Phils yesterday and visited some TV stations such as Unang Hirit this morning.

They're so nice and maybe the best NBA dancers who visited the country for the NBA Madness in the last couple of yrs...IMO

I got tickets for tomorrow's exhibition game at Araneta and I'm so excited to see the Silver Stars Dancers....

BTW, I check this one article about one interview w/ Frye...(he mentions Duncan)

NBA visitors to soak in Pinoy culture
By Joaquin Henson
The Philippine Star 07/21/2006

In their first trip to Asia, visiting National Basketball Association (NBA) players Andre Igoudala of the Philadelphia 76ers and Channing Frye of the New York Knicks said the other day they’re excited to learn about Filipino culture and interact with local fans.

Iguodala, 22, and Frye, 23, flew in last Tuesday from Taipei where they stayed a week to promote the NBA. They’re the star attractions of the last leg of the month-long NBA Madness Mall Tours which culminate in a Celebrity Jam program tomorrow night at the Araneta Coliseum.

Barely three hours after landing at the airport, the NBA cagers told The Star they plan to be tourists here in separate interviews.

Frye candidly admitted he can’t wait to meet Filipina girls.

"Before I came over, all I heard about the Philippines from friends was the beautiful Filipina girls," beamed Frye. "From the moment we arrived, we saw what Filipino hospitality is like — it’s great. During my stay, I’d like to live like a Filipino, see the sights and know about the local culture."

For his part, Iguodala said coming over gives him a chance to thank the Filipino fans who support the NBA.

The 6-11 Frye averaged 12.3 points and 5.3 rebounds in 65 games as a Knicks rookie last season. For a big man, he shot a creditable .825 from the line.

Hitting free throws is all about repetition, he explained.

"When you’re on the line, you think about the 20 to 30 free throws you made in the gym," said Frye. "You think about taking a whiff of fresh air. It’s a mental thing. Of course, practice makes perfect. I used to spend hours working on my form until my arm hurt. You’ve got to believe you can make the shot. I think Shaq (O’Neal) just needs to focus and believe he can hit his free throws."

Frye said he’s comfortable playing either power forward or center. "I’m what you call a tweener," he noted. "If I play together with Eddie (Curry), we can be like David Robinson and Tim Duncan(:lol). I don’t really care what position I play. I’m just out to play my best."

Frye said he got his baptism of fire matching up against the likes of Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki, O’Neal, Elton Brand and Dwight Howard but the player whom he found toughest to defend was Detroit’s Rasheed Wallace.

Frye said his closest New York teammate is David Lee and singled out former Knick Antonio Davis as the veteran who took him under his wing. Frye played four years at the University of Arizona before turning pro and is just a semester short of earning a degree. He said he’ll finish up his studies next summer.

It was a difficult season for the Knicks who wound up second to last in league standings with a lowly 23-59 record. Coach Larry Brown was fired as a result and Isiah Thomas took over the reins last month.

Frye said he’ll be a better player after experiencing a harsh rookie season.

"Our focus is fine," he said. "It was a character-building start. We’ve got a good nucleus and our draft picks will help. Isiah coached us in the summer league, where I hurt my ankle, and he’s doing a good job of getting us all back together."

Frye anticipated no problem with Stephon Marbury and Steve Francis on the same squad.

"We’ve got good chemistry and things are working out," he said. "We’re communicating."

Frye said he owes his upbringing to his parents who are both accomplished. His father Thomas is co-founder and co-president of Education Solutions and Services which offers office support to public and private charter schools. His mother Karen is an Emmy-winning former reporter and producer for a TV station and CEO of Southwest Dimensions. His grandfather John Mulzac served in the segregated Tuskegee corps of the US Air Force during World War II. The corps never lost a pilot. His brother Logan, 16, plans to become a lawyer.

"My parents taught me to have an open mind about the future," he said. "If things don’t work out in basketball, I’ll do something else and move on. Education is something you can always fall back on."

Iguodala played two years with Frye at Arizona before moving to the NBA.

With the Sixers, the 6-6 Iguodala is matched up against the likes of Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, Vince Carter and Cuttino Mobley. None of his rivals has ever given him nightmares.

"I’m confident in my skills," said Iguodala who was runner-up to Nate Robinson in the league’s Slam Dunk contest last season. "Guys like Kobe, Wade and Carter are so good, you can’t really shut them down but I’ve held my own."

Iguodala was once a star high jumper and placed second in the state high school track championships. Then he concentrated on basketball, enrolling at Arizona. He left school after only two years but hopes to reenroll to earn a degree, perhaps in religious studies or sociology.

This past season, the Sixers — like the Knicks — failed to advance to the playoffs and posted a 38-44 record under coach Maurice Cheeks. Iguodala averaged 12.3 points. Philadelphia’s previous coach was Jim O’Brien.

"I like both coaches," said Iguodala. "I learned defensive principles from Jim and Mo let me loose offensively. Mo is a players’ coach and quite laid back."

Iguodala said he enjoys playing with Allen Iverson. "He’s out there playing 110 percent every game," he said. "Iverson plays with pure heart. As for Chris Webber, his experience is a big plus. He’s not the same Webber as before but he’ll still give you big numbers like a 20-point, 11-rebound game. The player to watch on our team is Sam (Dalembert). When he entered the pros, Iguodala said former Sixers guard Aaron McKie helped to break him in. To this day, he keeps in close touch with McKie.

Iguodala has played and started 82 games the last two seasons and is the first Sixer to accomplish the feat since Clarence Weatherspoon in 1992-94.

Conditioning is what sets Iguodala apart from the rest. "I’ve been blessed without suffering any injuries," he said. "The key to staying healthy is not to overdo your workouts. When I’m not playing, I go to the gym for two hours in the morning and two hours at night. I don’t focus on any one aspect of my body. I work the whole body."

Asked if he’d play for the US in the Olympics or the World Championships in the event of an invitation, Iguodala said he won’t hesitate to sign up. "I’ll definitely play," he said. "It would be a great honor. I could help show the world the high level of basketball we play."

Iguodala is actively involved in social work. Last April, he donated $500 per point, rebound and assist he chalked up in a game against New York and turned over $19,000 to aid tornado relief victims in his Springfield, Illinois, hometown. He has also raised $42,000 for schools in Springfield and hosted a drive to collect over 2,000 new children’s books for a Philadelphia community. At the Rookie Challenge during the All-Star Weekend in Houston last February, Iguodala was named MVP for compiling 30 points, six rebounds and three assists. He’s the first rookie in Sixer history since Jim Tucker in 1954-55 to post a triple double in 2004-05.

spurschick
07-20-2006, 09:30 PM
:elephant I was so excited for Laura when she left. (I work with her.) I can't wait to see the pics she brings back. Take care of them while they're there. :spin

pawe
07-20-2006, 09:39 PM
damn right! pinays (Filipino women) are the best.

milkyway21
07-20-2006, 10:10 PM
The 6-11 Frye averaged 12.3 points and 5.3 rebounds in 65 games as a Knicks rookie last season. For a big man, he shot a creditable .825 from the line.

Hitting free throws is all about repetition, he explained.

"When you’re on the line, you think about the 20 to 30 free throws you made in the gym," said Frye. "You think about taking a whiff of fresh air. It’s a mental thing. Of course, practice makes perfect. I used to spend hours working on my form until my arm hurt. You’ve got to believe you can make the shot. I think Shaq (O’Neal) just needs to focus and believe he can hit his free throws."

Frye said he’s comfortable playing either power forward or center. "I’m what you call a tweener," he notedi can still remember how excited the NY fans were when NY drafted Frye a yr ago. Then some were pretty mad when Isaiah let go of Butler in favor of the Spurs. BOTH CAN PLAY CENTER...I want to seek opinions -WHO IS THE BETTER PLAYER-FRYE OR BUTLER?

milkyway21
07-20-2006, 10:15 PM
:elephant I was so excited for Laura when she left. (I work with her.) I can't wait to see the pics she brings back. Take care of them while they're there. :spinI didn't see Laura this morning there were only 6 of them there(maybe bec it was too early?), i only saw Melissa, Ashley, etc no Laura he:D he:D. I can't wait to get their autographs tomorrow...

don't worry the Pinoys are hospitable and they are NBA starstruck/mania fans :lol they'll be well taken care of.

jman3000
07-20-2006, 10:27 PM
:elephant I was so excited for Laura when she left. (I work with her.) I can't wait to see the pics she brings back. Take care of them while they're there. :spin
phone number? :spin

Vinnie_Johnson
07-20-2006, 10:38 PM
:ttiwwp:

Duncanoypi
07-20-2006, 10:57 PM
I will be there tomorrow....

milkyway21
07-20-2006, 11:05 PM
:ttiwwp:i don't have my own pics of the Silver Dancers yet but...i can post later after the exhibition game...

for the meantime, check this out...

http://www.nba.com/media/knicks/fryeasia_060720_300a.jpg

TDMVPDPOY
07-21-2006, 12:02 AM
take out the lube fellas

furry_spurry
07-21-2006, 12:30 AM
They are not all there.

angel_luv
07-21-2006, 10:36 AM
What a neat opportunity for the dancer who were able to go. :)

orhe
07-21-2006, 10:46 AM
woi wth
how much for the tix! :( i hate college

milkyway21
07-21-2006, 08:16 PM
woi wth
how much for the tix! :( i hate college

2006 NBA Madness is for charity. It's for the benefit of Special Olympic Phils & the Bright Child Program so the tickets are really cheap. Php.250 for Patrons(ringside); Php.200 for lower box and I think only Php.150 at the upper box. Check the Araneta there might be some tickets for free available. :wakeup

milkyway21
07-21-2006, 08:32 PM
UPDATE OF THE SILVER DANCERS' VISIT TO THE PHILS.

Mayor Belmonte gives city keys to NBA stars
By Joaquin Henson
The Philippine Star 07/22/2006

Mayor Sonny Belmonte gave the keys to Quezon City to visiting National Basketball Association (NBA) players Andre Iguodala of the Philadelphia 76ers and Channing Frye of the New York Knicks during a 40-minute morning courtesy call at City Hall the other day.

Belmonte and Rep. Nanette Castelo-Daza were invited by the stars to toss the ceremonial ball for the NBA Madness Celebrity Jam game at the Araneta Coliseum tonight.

Quezon City councilor and La Salle basketball coach Franz Pumaren accompanied the players and six San Antonio Spurs Silver Dancers to the Mayor’s office.

A 10-man "musika" band played festive music outside the Mayor’s office and the Silver Dancers, dressed in their stunning two-piece silver-and-black costumes, did an impromptu dance routine to the tune of "Hot Stuff." The band provided the rousing music for the Silver Dancers who showed up with their trademark pompoms. * * *

Conditioning is what sets Iguodala apart from the rest. "I’ve been blessed without suffering any injuries," said the 22-year-old leaper who has played and started in 164 regular season games since turning pro in 2004-05. "The key to staying healthy is not to overdo your workouts. When I’m not playing, I go to the gym for two hours in the morning and two hours at night. I don’t focus on any one aspect of my body. I work the whole body."

Iguodala is actively involved in social work Last April, he donated $500 per point, rebound and assist he chalked up in a game against New York and turned over $19,000 to aid tornado relief victims in his Springfield, Illinois, hometown. He has also raised $42,000 for schools in Springfield and hosted a drive to collect over 2,000 new children’s books for a Philadelphia community. At the Rookie Challenge during the All-Star Weekend in Houston last February, Iguodala was named MVP for compiling 30 points, six rebounds and three assists. * * *
At the welcome reception hosted by Solar Sports for the NBA visitors in the Holiday Inn Galleria last Thursday, San Miguel Beer and Ginebra San Miguel strength and conditioning coach Kirk Collier came with 6-11, 240-pound Larry Turner of Tennessee State.

Turner, 24, is in town for six weeks to train with Collier. He played three years at Oklahoma University before transferring to Tennessee. Turner averaged 6.0 points and 4.3 rebounds in his first year with the Tigers last season. "Turner’s as good an athlete at the five (positions) as there is in the league," said Tennessee State coach Cy Alexander. "He’s an outstanding jumper and he’s physically strong. He’s very athletic and he knows the game. The other thing that he has shown is he is a leader." * * *

The six Silver Dancers in town are Ashley Gonzales, Jemina Brown, Laura Castillo, Melissa Jones, Tina Zamora and Vanessa Castaneda. Their choreographer Raquel Torres-Garcia arrived with them.

Over 200 hopefuls attend grueling tryouts every summer for 16 slots on the Silver Dancers squad. Veterans and newcomers alike battle for jobs on a yearly basis.

The Dancers said it’s an unbelievable experience to perform for the Spurs and they get a chance to watch all their regular season and playoff games. Asked who their NBA crushes are, one of them singled out Spurs guard Tony Parker :lol :lol while two others pointed to Iguodala and Frye who, by the wa y, were within hearing distance.
Solar vice president for marketing Jude Turcuato said Alaska basketball team manager Joaqui Trillo has asked to meet with visiting NBA mascot Harry The Hawk of the Atlanta Hawks to get pointers on how to make the Aces own mascot E-Cow more appealing, attractive and morale-boosting.

Harry The Hawk–feathers and all–will be featured at the NBA Madness Celebrity Jam program tonight. In a recent interview hatched somewhere in his Highrise Nest home at the Philips Arena rafters, Harry said he plays the center (of attention) position, insists he was picked first in the NBA draft over Larry "Bird" and Pat "Ewing" and says his dream is to receive a championship "wing." :lol

Harry said his hobbies include stair-sledding, taking and making the half-court shot, dancing with kids playing musical chairs, pulling pranks on NBA referees and creating havoc wherever he goes.
:lol

(i wish the Coyote will be invited next yr:D)

On a serious note, Harry said being an NBA mascot is physically demanding. "I ride a unicycle," said Harry who has four children and logs about 40 to 50 hours a week as a mascot. "I juggle basketballs. I spin basketballs and shoot half-court shots. I made about 50 percent of my half-court shots last year." * * *
NBA Asia managing director Loron Orris said his dream is for a Filipino to someday play in the NBA. There have been Chinese, Korean and Japanese players in the NBA but not yet a full-blooded Filipino.

Raymond Townsend, a Fil-Am born in the US with Batangas roots, saw action for Golden State and Indiana in 1979-81.

NBA Asia senior manager for marketing partnerships Carlo Singson said the theme of this year’s NBA Madness is "watch, play and jam."

The watching began with the live telecasts of the recent NBA Finals then the playing started with the first of four-weekend Madness Mall Tours at Robinsons Pampanga last month and the jamming takes place at the Araneta Coliseum tonight.

SpursFanForEver
07-22-2006, 11:15 AM
i don't have my own pics of the Silver Dancers yet but...i can post later after the exhibition game...

for the meantime, check this out...

http://www.nba.com/media/knicks/fryeasia_060720_300a.jpg

We need more pictures!!! Too bad not al 6 Silver Dancers are showing here. They are soooooo beautiful. Thanks for sending!

ShoogarBear
07-22-2006, 02:52 PM
Those were some damn good quotes from both Frye and Iggie. Props to the Filipino writers for the interviews.