PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye Curse?

Jimcs50
10-20-2004, 10:22 AM
If, and I say if, the BoSox complete this turnaround and win this series, I say the Curse of the Bambino will be forever put to rest. The Red Sox would have made the greatest comeback in the history of not only baseball, but of all sports combined. I told Duff that the Red Sox were going to come back and get to WS after game 4, but even I, the homer of all homers, the eternal optimist, deep down had some serious doubts.
Afterall the Yankees are the most talented team in baseball top to bottom, they have the history, the manager, the ballpark, the 47 million dollar left side of the infield, the best HR hitter in baseball post season history(Bernie Williams), the hottest post season player this year(Matsui)(with all due respect to Beltran)the ghosts of Yankee stadium, the largest fan base and media base, it seemed like a truly gargantuan task. You could have gotten a million to one odds in Vegas after game 3 on Boston making it to WS(why did I not bet on them? ), so if indeed Boston wins tonight, the whole sports world take note, it would just hype this World Series run to the nth degree, especially if Houston, another down of it's luck ballclub, another lovable loser makes it to the Show as well.
But, if the Yankees right the ship, and win, it will be just another sad ending to this historic franchise's season. Red Sox Nation will have to suffer through another "what if" Winter and cry in their beers and add another chapter to the lovable loser tag that they so richly deserve and maybe even relish.:) I for one, would love to watch the Red Sox play the Yankees next year and the years following w/o hearing that dreaded term Curse ever again, but I might be in the minority, because I think the fans in general like all the attention that it gives them. I say good ridence, byebye Buckner, Bucky Fucking Dent and Aaron Fucking Boone, lets start anew, shall we? :)

samikeyp
10-20-2004, 10:28 AM
Props to you Jim for calling that. Maybe you should get Duff to say more bad stuff about the Sox...it seems to work! The curse is not beating the Yankees. The curse is winning a World Series. (that's why you hear the "1918" chant) Then and only then, can it be put to rest. I hope they do win tonight and as long as they are not playing the Astros, I hope they win it all. And if they do win it all, it won't be because of curses or ghosts, it will be because they are the better team.

2pac
10-20-2004, 10:55 AM
Too bad the Red Sox wont get past the Astros in the World Series.

samikeyp
10-20-2004, 10:58 AM
That would be cool.

Jimcs50
10-20-2004, 12:31 PM
Astros will have a great chance to beat Boston or NY. I really would not care who won because I love both teams, but since my dad is a huge Boston fan and my grandpa played for the Red Sox organization in the 1920's, I want my dad to finally get his happiness before he passes on, so I will be pulling for Boston a little more.

samikeyp
10-20-2004, 12:36 PM
For your dad, I hope it happens.

Spurminator
10-20-2004, 12:56 PM
I love baseball in October.

Jimcs50
10-20-2004, 01:08 PM
For your dad, I hope it happens.

Thanks partner. :)

pooh
10-20-2004, 01:40 PM
A majority of the die-hard Sox fans, especially the ones up in Boston have been saying they'll take a victory over the Yankees in the ALCS than a World Series win.

Crazy as that sounds, I don't think anything but a World Series win will erase it. But right now they have to get past tonight first.

Jimcs50
10-20-2004, 01:54 PM
If they come back and beat the Yankees, the Curse is dead, end of story, no matter what happens in the WS.

pooh
10-20-2004, 01:56 PM
I guess it depends on what kind of "collaspe" they have in the WS. If it's another "Buckner" then...I don't know. But it's the Red Sox's year, it's the time to do it.

Jimcs50
10-20-2004, 02:08 PM
Pooh, in 86, they beat the Angels in the ACLS prior to the WS, so the curse was not in effect til they played another NY team in the WS, the Mets. But now, after beating the Yankees in the most improbable series win of all time.

pooh
10-20-2004, 02:10 PM
I agree it will be the most improbable series win period. Did you get to hear Schilling on Rome earlier? He blasted A-Rod.

Yonivore
10-20-2004, 02:22 PM
I agree it will be the most improbable series win period. Did you get to hear Schilling on Rome earlier? He blasted A-Rod.
A-Rod needed blasting and, I guarantee you, if there weren't a game 7 to play tonight -- Schilling would be railing on the first base umpire too.

Torre gets a pass, he was only doing what they pay him to do.